Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » To Cover or Not To Cover

Author Topic: To Cover or Not To Cover
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Should a woman wear a head covering when praying based on 1 Cor. 11?
the scriptures says yes a woman should wear a covering....

According to the Apostle Paul the Church has no other custom than the covering of the head when a woman prays or prophesies.

History of the Christian headcovering

1 Corinthians 11:4-16 contains the only reference in the New Testament to a headcovering for women and to an absence of a headcovering for men. Various early Church Fathers, such as Hermas[1], Clement of Alexandria[2] and Tertullian[3] also mentioned women's headcoverings. Early Christian art shows women wearing headcoverings.[4]

Both at that time and through the ensuing centuries, women usually wore a headcovering in public, as they still do in some Middle Eastern countries. But during the 1900s, the practice of headcovering gradually disappeared from many churches, which dropped their requirement that women cover their heads during worship services.

In Protestant churches

Among the early Protestant reformers, Martin Luther's wife, Katherine, wore a headcovering and John Knox and John Calvin both called for women to wear headcoverings.[5],[6], [7] Commentators such as Matthew Henry, A. R. Fausset and A. T. Robertson also wrote that women should wear headcoverings.

Reasons for the headcovering

Those who practice headcovering call attention to St. Paul's appeal to universal principles in 1 Corinthians 11:2-16, arguing that since the passage mentions “every man” and “every woman,” as well as the universal order of creation, this passage must apply to all Christians in all ages and of all cultures. They hold that the Bible is not merely referring to hair, long hair, or submission, but rather a literal cloth headcovering. They support this understanding from the original Greek, which uses two different words: one meaning covering, referring to the woman's head, i.e., her husband, and the other meaning veiling, referring to a literal cloth covering. Corinthians 11:6 is also cited to refute the notion that the headcovering intended by Paul is merely long hair, ("For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to eb shorn or shaven, let her be covered.") because it would be akin to saying "If a woman has short hair, let her hair be cut short."

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Corinthian women who appeared in the assembly without the head-covering were actually putting themselves on the low level of the temple prostitutes. The prostitutes wore their hair very short, and they did not wear a head-covering in public. Their hairstyle and manner announced to others just what they were and what they were offering. “If you are going to abandon the covering,” wrote Paul, “then why not go all the way and cut your hair?”

In Jewish law, a woman proved guilty of adultery had her hair cut off (Num. 5:11-31). Paul used two different words in 1 Corinthians 11:5-6: shaved means exactly that, all the hair shaved off; shorn means “cut short.” Either one would be a disgrace to a woman.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 Corinthians 11:3-5 (KJV)

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head.

5 But every woman that prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

Eden here:

As long as I have been a Christian I have read these 3 verses, but I may have missed their correct meaning.

Note first of all in v.3 that the HEAD of the man is Christ and that the HEAD of the woman is the man.

Then v.4 says that if the man prayed with his own head covered, that the man then dishonored HIS head.

And then v.5 said that if the woman prayed with her head UNcovered, she dishonored HER head.

That is, ntil yesterday when, with the help of another Christian, I suddenly realized that the following.

Who is the man's head? Christ.

And who is the woman's head? The man.

Since Christ is the head of man, when the man prays with his OWN head covered, then the man dishonors his head which is....Christ! Because by covering his own head the man is symbolically saying that Christ is NOT his head: the man DISHONORS HIS HEAD, which is Christ!

Likewise the woman, when the woman prays with her OWN head UNcovered, then the womman dishonors HER head which is ... the man! Because by UNcovering her own head the woman is symbolically saying that the man is NOT her head: the womman DISHONORS HER HEAD, which is the man!

Let me repeat v.3:

1 Corinthians 11
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

love, eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that a womans hair is her covering.

A woman should have long hair, unless it interferes with the plow.(her chosen profession)

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should a woman wear a head covering when praying based on 1 Cor. 11?

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement