Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Jerusalem paid double for her sins

Author Topic: Jerusalem paid double for her sins
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Eden,
Have you ever thought about the entity to which Jerusalem pays that "double".
quote:
Re 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.
6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.

Thus, I believe the connection some make between Babylon and Jerusalem is, partly, not wrong. I believe that, when the king of Judah made covenant with the king of Babylon per Eze. 17, a marriage occurred between Judah and the daughter of a strange god per Mal. 2:11.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic.

First -double does not necessarily mean only twice.
Second -just how many Elijah's are there?

Sadly, Jerusalem will again see destruction -though it will end with Christ himself returning and fighting those nations which he has gathered for that purpose...

Zec 14:2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.
Zec 14:3 Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.
Zec 14:4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south......

Luk 21:20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

Isa 10:24 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD of hosts, O my people that dwellest in Zion, be not afraid of the Assyrian: he shall smite thee with a rod, and shall lift up his staff against thee, after the manner of Egypt.
Isa 10:25 For yet a very little while, and the indignation shall cease, and mine anger in their destruction.

Isa 14:25 That I will break the Assyrian in my land, and upon my mountains tread him under foot: then shall his yoke depart from off them, and his burden depart from off their shoulders.
Isa 14:26 This is the purpose that is purposed upon the whole earth: and this is the hand that is stretched out upon all the nations

As for Elijah.........

We know that there was Elijah the Tishbite -the 'original' if you will...

and we know that Christ spoke of two separate Elijah's -John the baptist who HAD come -and another who WOULD come -and RESTORE ALL THINGS...
(one must honestly ask themselves.. what things did Christ, his apostles and the early church do and believe which were forgotten to such a great extent that one would be sent to restore them?)
...but neither of these is the one expected by the Jews -the absence thereof being the reason they did not believe in Christ...

Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:
Mal 4:6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

This is not AN Elijah -this IS ELIJAH THE PROPHET.

It is appointed for all men to die once -but there have been exceptions... and there is one person (with another) spoken of -just before the great and dreadful day of the Lord (see Joel 2 for a description of it) -which is at the end of great tribulation... who does things which are quite similar to the Elijah of the old testament -

1Ki 17:1 And Elijah the Tishbite, who was of the inhabitants of Gilead, said unto Ahab, As the LORD God of Israel liveth, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, but according to my word.

Rev 11:6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

Dear Eden,
In case I left the point too blurry, allow me to add this:
It looks like, since John, the Baptizer, came after Jerusalem paid one time and before Jerusalem paid the second time, the next time the inhabitants of Jerusalem hear, "Make straight the way of the Lord", they will listen.

scythewieldor
unregistered

Dear Eden,
Look at the very next scripture.
quote:
Is 40:3 ¶ The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
We know that that prophecy was fulfilled with John, the Baptizer.
quote:
Mt 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Mr 1:3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Lu 3:4 As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Joh 1:23 He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.

We know that John, the Baptizer, would have fulfilled the prophecy of the return of Elias if Jerusalem had received him.
quote:
Mt 11:13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

Mt 10:10 And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come?
11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.
12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.
13 Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

Mr 9:11 And they asked him, saying, Why say the scribes that Elias must first come?
12 And he answered and told them, Elias verily cometh first, and restoreth all things; and how it is written of the Son of man, that he must suffer many things, and be set at nought.
13 But I say unto you, That Elias is indeed come, and they have done unto him whatsoever they listed, as it is written of him.

Lk 1:13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.
16 And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

Yet, in some sense, John, the Baptizer, was not Elias at that presentation.
quote:
Joh 1:21 And they questioned him, ‘What then? Elijah art thou?’ and he saith, ‘I am not.’ —‘The prophet art thou?’ and he answered, ‘No.’
Since Jesus says that Elias must come to restore all things, the conclusion must be that there must be another presentation of a man who comes in the spirit and power of Elias which will be validated by a Jerusalem which receives him.
The presentation of the next man who comes in the spirit and power of Elias will, likely, be characterized by the same message that John, the Baptizer, presented- "to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord".
It may be that, upon that presentation, the inhabitants of Jerusalem will know that the return of the Lord is eminent.
In that case, that is when the Jews believe on Jesus, allowing us to see the fulfillment of Peter's prophecy:
quote:
Ac 3:18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled.
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Thanks for the heads up.

Red is the color of the blood that flowed...

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The word 'orientalism' refers to passages in the Bible that are descriptive of Eastern culture. Those of us from Western cultures (Europe and the Americas), may not understand these passages, or even misinterpret them because we don't understand the culture of the times in the Bible. In this teaching, we will look at five examples of orientalisms, and see how an understanding of the culture helps us understand the Word of God.

3. Double for Sin:

Isaiah 40: 2 -- Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the Lord's hand double for all her sins.

This verse seems to contradict itself. In the first half, Jerusalem's iniquity is pardoned, but the end of the verse says she has received of the Lord's hand double for all her sins. It sounds as though Jerusalem received twice the punishment, but this is not what the words really mean. The verse is referring to an oriental custom.

In the East, the gates of the city had public bulletin boards, where various items could be posted by the citizens. If a man owed money, and couldn't repay it, his creditor would post the record at the city gate. Everyone would see what the man owed and it was a source of humiliation. Oftentimes a kinsman would pay the debt in full. When this happened the record was folded up, or the paper doubled over, so the debt was no longer displayed. He now had a clean slate.

This is what God did for Jerusalem in Isaiah 40, and it is also what Christ did for us in:

Colossians 2: 13, 14 -- And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Christ paid off the debt for our sins by 'blotting out the handwriting' (doubling over the paper), and nailing it to his cross. So, like the debtors of the East, we have a clean slate.

http://www1.itech.net/~ydl/Orientalisms_of_the_Bible1.htm

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isaiah 40
2 Speak comfortably to Jerusalem and cry to her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she has received of the LORD's hand double for all her sins.

When I read this last night, it occurred to me that Jerusalem was seriously destroyed by 2 destructions, by the 586 B.C. Babylonian destruction and by the 70 A.D. Roman Titus destruction.

It occurred to me that these 2 destructions are what the LORD referred to above in Isaiah 40:2 when the LORD said THAT Jerusalem would "receive DOUBLE FOR HER SINS"?

Isaiah 40
2 Speak comfortably to Jerusalem and cry to her that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she has received of the LORD's hand DOUBLE FOR ALL HER SINS.

Makes sense to me.

love, eden

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement