Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Pontificate!

Author Topic: Pontificate!
Forever His
Advanced Member
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forever His     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jimbarn... I very much identify with your post. I am also recovering as well [thumbsup2]
Posts: 719 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forever His
Advanced Member
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forever His     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been a very profitable thread with much good food for thought. As for me I have not found scripture to generaly be that way [ ie. harsh ] although there are many sections that deal with sin and the results yet I have always found Jesus to be the best friend that a sinner like me ever had.

In God's presence is fullness of joy, and at His right hand are pleasures forever more. As was written in response to this thread there are many different types of people. I wonder if perhaps our view of the harshness of God coresponds with our own upbringing. our life experience and temperment ??? in other words we see God through our own experience and read scripture likewise ??? Is this possible??

Jesus said Come to me, all you who labor and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for "I am" [ a reference to divinity ] gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Anyway... good food for thought !

ps. I also recognize the other verses which you correctly indicate are full of judgment... yet even in those there is hope for we read that your God is gracious and merciful, and will not turn away His face from you, if you return to Him.

Forever His.

Posts: 719 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that God is multifaceted. So you would be most right! He shows whichever facet of His face to be necessary to His purposes. Some people need stern rebuke. By and large though, the body as a whole, i feel, should be in love. Too many want to take the position of lightening bolt hurlers. But to whom it is appointed...
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 21 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice points!

But remember God has made us all different. Some will be gentle and some will be harsh.

Like John the Baptist, he was not much to tip toe around his point or like Nathan when he said to David, "You are the man!

I believe if we are in tune with the Holy Spirit we will deliver the message in the manner that is best needed. Sometimes people just don't hear you when you whisper.

I do believe God created us all different for His purpose. Some people are meek and mild, others are more stern and bold.

I have often prayed that God would make me gentle and kind. But the harder I try to be the worse mess I make, so I learned to be who I am and I believe he made me this way for a reason. God will send the person He wants to deliver the message to whom He wants it delivered to. That is why we all have different gifts and need to be listening for when God is wanting to use them.

Just my thoughts on the subject as I do often feel bad because I am not usually considered gentle and kind. But in reality I am very concerened about people and I love them. That is why I do my best to tell them about our Lord Jesus Christ and often pray God will send a gentle kind person to witness to them.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimbarn
Advanced Member
Member # 7053

Icon 16 posted      Profile for jimbarn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A timely and well stated post.
There are pharisees among us.How do I know this?
I was one for many years.I had all the answers.
Then it slowly dawned on me I did not have hardly any answers.I am only starting to scratch the surface of knowing Christ and His Word.
This after 32 years of study,
Now you all know why I am a " recovering pharisee."

Jimbarn
A recovering pharisee
[Smile]

Posts: 43 | From: Unicoi,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever noticed that whenever you read the Bible, the words seem to be harsh, and full of judgment? That is no doubt why people pontificate in like manner, thinking themselves to be an extension of God in vocalizing them. However, behind those words is a spirit of love that exceeds understanding. It is concealed from the reader, unless the one truly knows the being behind the words. For sure, it sounds like rebuke often times in the reading. But it is not so much. It is exhortation! But the condemnation that a person feels that they are under accentuates what sounds to them like judgment and rebuke. (This comes from that fallen spirit who would scatter us.) Moreover, life treats us so until we think that is how the scriptures are dealing with us. We we totally expect it thusly because people in everyday life talk to us this way. So we hear it day in and day out.

And when we speak, do we know how another is going to hear it? No! Even our best efforts not to, can sound aloof and judgmental. It may be the content. It may be the delivery. But it will sound sharp and piercing even when we don’t want it to. And this is how satan chases lots of people away.

Let me tell you, if you live at the lake, and you want to feed the fish and see them gather under you while you watch them snatch the morsel as it hits the water, and distance themselves safely with fleeting movement, you don’t stomp the pier and yell at them to come. You will be a threat to them.

Do you know that sheep will not drink out of moving water. It has to be still. I take this from a book of a few years back, “A Shepard Looks at the twenty-third Psalm.” It should be re-released. There is something to learn from this man's perspective on sheep, however, even a gentle tone will sound pontificating to someone who is hearing what they don’t want to hear. This is the very thing that happened to Jesus.

Think about this.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement