Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » wormwood

Author Topic: wormwood
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Isaiah,
Yes.
quote:
Jer 9:13 And the LORD saith, Because they have forsaken my law which I set before them, and have not obeyed my voice, neither walked therein;
14 But have walked after the imagination of their own heart, and after Baalim, which their fathers taught them:
15 Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will feed them, even this people, with wormwood, and give them water of gall to drink.
16 I will scatter them also among the heathen, whom neither they nor their fathers have known: and I will send a sword after them, till I have consumed them.
17 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Consider ye, and call for the mourning women, that they may come; and send for cunning women, that they may come:
18 And let them make haste, and take up a wailing for us, that our eyes may run down with tears, and our eyelids gush out with waters.
19 For a voice of wailing is heard out of Zion, How are we spoiled! we are greatly confounded, because we have forsaken the land, because our dwellings have cast us out.
20 Yet hear the word of the LORD, O ye women, and let your ear receive the word of his mouth, and teach your daughters wailing, and every one her neighbour lamentation.
21 For death is come up into our windows, and is entered into our palaces, to cut off the children from without, and the young men from the streets.
22 Speak, Thus saith the LORD, Even the carcases of men shall fall as dung upon the open field, and as the handful after the harvestman, and none shall gather them.

La 3:15 He hath filled me with bitterness, he hath made me drunken with wormwood.

La 3:19 Remembering mine affliction and my misery, the wormwood and the gall.

Am 5:7 Ye who turn judgment to wormwood, and leave off righteousness in the earth,
8 Seek him that maketh the seven stars and Orion, and turneth the shadow of death into the morning, and maketh the day dark with night: that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD is his name:
9 That strengtheneth the spoiled against the strong, so that the spoiled shall come against the fortress.
10 They hate him that rebuketh in the gate, and they abhor him that speaketh uprightly.
11 Forasmuch therefore as your treading is upon the poor, and ye take from him burdens of wheat: ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not dwell in them; ye have planted pleasant vineyards, but ye shall not drink wine of them.
12 For I know your manifold transgressions and your mighty sins: they afflict the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside the poor in the gate from their right.
13 Therefore the prudent shall keep silence in that time; for it is an evil time.
14 Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live: and so the LORD, the God of hosts, shall be with you, as ye have spoken.
15 Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that the LORD God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph.
16 ¶ Therefore the LORD, the God of hosts, the Lord, saith thus; Wailing shall be in all streets; and they shall say in all the highways, Alas! alas! and they shall call the husbandman to mourning, and such as are skilful of lamentation to wailing.
17 And in all vineyards shall be wailing: for I will pass through thee, saith the LORD.
18 Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end is it for you? the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light.
19 As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The proof's in the puddin'

-either many men literally die from drinking the water -or they don't -literal or figurative? We shall see.

Isa 66:16 For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.

Jer 25:33 And the slain of the LORD shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried; they shall be dung upon the ground.

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

Dear Isaiah,
At the beginning of The Revelation, a star is declared to be an angel- a messenger. The prophets of Jerusalem would fill the bill.
quote:
Re 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.
The very name of this book, The Revelation, indicates that it is given to help unravel a mystery- not to be the mystery. If it were the latter, it should have been called The Kalupsis rather than The Apokalupsis.
If we accept the Word of God, we will believe that the law was full of types/shadows of true things.
quote:
Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
Within the sacrifices was presented a shadow of the main good thing to come: the sacrifice of the Lamb of God which takes away the sin of the world.
There were many other shadows.
Have you ever considered the implications of this scripture?
quote:
Ro 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
If the law is spiritual, you can not understand it from the soulical/natural point of view.
quote:
1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

To me, that means that the attempt to understand prophecy by focusing on history or comparing spiritual things with natural things will invariably lead to misinterpretations- like Babylon is Rome, or Jerusalem. To rightly interpret prophecy which is spiritual, you MUST use spiritual references. For that, we must count on things like the writings of the Apostles and Prophets.
quote:
Eph 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

When men build away from the foundation of the apostles and prophets, whatever they erect will fall.
Isaiah
Advanced Member
Member # 6699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Isaiah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmmmm....

In Revelation 8:11 "Wormwood" is the name of a "star". (Rev 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood).

G792 astēr as-tare' Probably from the base of G4766; a star (as strown over the sky), literally or figuratively: - star.

G894 apsinthos ap'-sin-thos Of uncertain derivation; wormwood (as a type of bitterness, that is, [figuratively] calamity): - wormwood.

This star falls from the sky(G3772) -burning
(Rev 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp...)

It affects -specifically -a third part of the rivers and fountains of water...

It makes the waters "AS" "wormwood" (G1519 & G894).....

and many men die because the waters are made "bitter"
G4087 pikrainō pik-rah'ee-no From G4089; to embitter (literally or figuratively): - be (make) bitter.

This is all after voices, thunderings, lightning, an earthquake, hail, fire, blood, a third of trees and grass being burned up, and a third of sea life and a third of ocean vessels being destroyed by a mountain (as it were) being cast into the sea and whatnot -sooooooo not a good time as a whole - in fact......Amo 5:20 Shall not the day of the LORD be darkness, and not light? even very dark, and no brightness in it?

The mountain being cast into the sea -destroying a third of the ships, etc... might be an asteroid-type-thingy....but perhaps a volcano eruption causing a huge landslide (an actual mountain falling into the sea) -and a subsequent tsunami -but it would have to be quite huge to take out all those ships -and especially all that sea life -who knows?

..but it does specify the star "Wormwood" falls burning from the sky. Some have supposed this to be nuclear missles -the fallout thereof irradiating water - but perhaps it could be a more (super)'natural' occurance -some celestial chunk of burning badness (sorry, too much James Taylor) which has radioactive materials or some sort of poisonous properties -again -who knows?

As you've probably heard, they say "Chernobyl" is Russian for "wormwood" -but I have no idea if that is true or not -kinda wierd, if so -but relevant? Who knows? [cool_shades]

Posts: 288 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

quote:
Deu 29:9 Keep therefore the words of this covenant, and do them, that ye may prosper in all that ye do.
10 ¶ Ye stand this day all of you before the LORD your God; your captains of your tribes, your elders, and your officers, with all the men of Israel,
11 Your little ones, your wives, and thy stranger that is in thy camp, from the hewer of thy wood unto the drawer of thy water:
12 That thou shouldest enter into covenant with the LORD thy God, and into his oath, which the LORD thy God maketh with thee this day:
13 That he may establish thee to day for a people unto himself, and that he may be unto thee a God, as he hath said unto thee, and as he hath sworn unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.
14 Neither with you only do I make this covenant and this oath;
15 But with him that standeth here with us this day before the LORD our God, and also with him that is not here with us this day:
16 (For ye know how we have dwelt in the land of Egypt; and how we came through the nations which ye passed by;
17 And ye have seen their abominations, and their idols, wood and stone, silver and gold, which were among them:)
18 Lest there should be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turneth away this day from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations;lest there should be among you a root that beareth gall and wormwood;
19 And it come to pass, when he heareth the words of this curse, that he bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, though I walk in the imagination of mine heart, to add drunkenness to thirst:
20 The LORD will not spare him, but then the anger of the LORD and his jealousy shall smoke against that man, and all the curses that are written in this book shall lie upon him, and the LORD shall blot out his name from under heaven.

In The Revelation, there is a reference to Wormwood.
quote:
Re 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.
The two of these may need to be connected in order to understand what is being prophesied in The Revelation. When they are connected, then we may have gained a reference point for a prophecy of the fall of the Aaronic priesthood from the Temple of Jerusalem.
The connection is strengthened by this prophecy:
quote:
Jer 23:15 Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts concerning the prophets; Behold, I will feed them with wormwood, and make them drink the water of gall: for from the prophets of Jerusalem is profaneness gone forth into all the land.
Feedback?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement