Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Luke 19, the servants of the lord got one pound each

Author Topic: Luke 19, the servants of the lord got one pound each
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lord Jesus spoke this parable while He was in Israel:

Luke 19
11 And as they heard these things, He added a parable, because He was near to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.

12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said to them, Occupy till I come.

Eden here: I used to think when reading this parable that one servant had received 10 pounds and another servant had received 5 pounds, but in fact each servant only received one pound each because3 the servant later said your pound has made you ten pounds, as follows:

Luke 19
14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.

15 And it came to pass, that when he returned, having received the kingdom, that he commanded these servants to be called to him to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.

Eden here: So what did this pound represent in this parable? It is a pound that can be made into 10 pounds and into 5 pounds, so what is this pound that the lord gave them in this parable?

The Lord Jesus said in the parable that He has given us something and we can and infact have to trade with it while the lord is gone.

So what does that trade consist of? Let's continue:

Luke 19
16 Then came the first {person}, saying, Lord, YOUR POUND has gained ten pounds.

Eden here: What did Jesus have in mind in the parable with the one pound and what do the 10 pounds refer to, in your opinion?
So let's continue:

Luke 19
17 And he {the Lord} said to him {the servant}, Well, you good servant: because you have been faithful in a very little, have authority over ten cities.

Eden here: The servant had been faithful over very little? What does "very little" refer to? But let's continue:

Luke 19
18 And the second {servant} came, saying, Lord, your pound has gained five pounds.

Eden here: With this servant of the lord, his one pound has gained five pounds. Again, same questions as for the one pound which gained 10 pounds. What does the one pound represent and what do the 10 pounds represent in the parable? But let's continue:

Luke 19
19 And he {the lord] said likewise to him, Be you also over five cities.

20 And another {servant} came, saying, Lord, see, here is your pound which I have kept laid up in a napkin.

21 For I feared you, because you are an austere man: you take up what you laid not down, and you reap what you did not sow.

Eden here: While the lord is away until he comes again, the lord wanted to reap what he himself had not did not sown, because the lord had given his 10 servants one pound each.

Luke 19
22 And he {the lord} said to him {to the servant who had laid up his pound in a napkin, or in other words, had not done anything with the pound}, Out of your own mouth will I judge you, you wicked servant. You knew that I was an austere man, taking up that which I had not laid down, and reaping what I did not sow.

23 Why then did you not give my money to the bank, that at my coming I might have required my own with interest?

Eden here: I think "the bank" in this parable refers to "Christian ministries" who do the "trading for the lord" on our behalf. Anyone agree with that? But let's continue:

Luke 19
24 And he {the lord} said to them who stood by, Take from him the pound and give it to him who has ten pounds.

25 (And they said to him, Lord, he {already} has ten pounds.)

26 {Then the lord said} For I say to you, That to everyone who has shall be given; but from him who has not, even what he has {the one pound} shall be taken away from him.

The servants of the lord got one pound each. It is therefore very important to identify
what that one pound is that can be taken away from us

love, eden

Luke 19
27 But those My enemies who did not want Me to reign over them, bring them here, and slay them before Me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement