Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Faith without works is dead--what are these works, anyway?

Author Topic: Faith without works is dead--what are these works, anyway?
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This to me sums up your question as simply as it can be put…..straight from the scriptures nothing added, nothing taken away form context of meaning [Bible] [Cross] [Prayer] [thumbsup2]

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: [rapture]

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? [Confused]

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, [hug] ye have done it unto me. ….Matthew 25

But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. ….James 1

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Eden...I found a few things for you.

Faith without Good Deeds Is Dead

James 2:14-20(NLT)

14 What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone?15 Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing,16 and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.18 Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”19 You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.20 How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?

24 So you see, we are shown to be right with God by what we do, not by faith alone.

WORK
(Efforts, Employment, Tasks)

What principles does God give regarding our work?

BIBLE READING: Genesis 31:22-55
KEY BIBLE VERSE: In fact, except for the grace of God—the God of my grandfather Abraham, the awe-inspiring God of my father, Isaac—you would have sent me off without a penny to my name. But God has seen your cruelty and my hard work. That is why he appeared to you last night and vindicated me. (Genesis 31:42)

God wants Christians to be characterized by diligence in their work. Jacob made it a habit to do more than was expected of him. When his flocks were attacked, he took the losses rather than splitting them with Laban. He worked hard even after several pay cuts. His diligence eventually paid off: his flocks began to multiply. Making a habit of doing more than expected can pay off. It (1) pleases God, (2) earns recognition and advancement, (3) enhances our reputation, (4) builds others' confidence in us, (5) gives us more experience and knowledge, and (6) develops our spiritual maturity.

BIBLE READING: Exodus 16:13-36
KEY BIBLE VERSE: [Moses] replied, "The LORD has appointed tomorrow as a day of rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. On this day we will rest from our normal daily tasks. So bake or boil as much as you want today, and set aside what is left for tomorrow." (Exodus 16:23)

The same God who gives us abilities and work also tells us to rest. The Israelites were not to work on the Sabbath—not even to cook food. Why? God knew that the busy routine of daily living could distract people from worshiping him. It is so easy to let work, family responsibilities, and recreation crowd our schedules so tightly that we don't take time to worship. Carefully guard your time with God.

BIBLE READING: Exodus 35:4-35
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Moses told them, "The LORD has chosen Bezalel son of Uri, grandson of Hur, of the tribe of Judah." (Exodus 35:30)

God is the source of all our skills, and he wants us to use them to the best of our ability. This passage describes the blending of various artistic and construction skills in the building of the traveling sanctuary. Those who spun cloth made a beautiful contribution to the tabernacle. Good workers take pride in the quality and beauty of their work. God is concerned with the quality and beauty of what you do. Whether you are a corporate executive or a drugstore cashier, your work should reflect the creative abilities God has given you.

Our work, even if it isn't "spiritual," can still be done to God's glory. It is easy to think that God would provide people with "spiritual" abilities like leadership, preaching, healing. And yet Bezalel was filled with God's Spirit in such a way that all his artistic and design skills took on an added quality appropriate to the work he was called to do. Whatever place God has designed you to fill in life, ask him to make you skillful as you represent him in the workplace.

BIBLE READING: Ruth 2:1-13
KEY BIBLE VERSE: She asked me this morning if she could gather grain behind the harvesters. She has been hard at work ever since, except for a few minutes' rest over there in the shelter. (Ruth 2:7)

God wants us to work hard and do our best, even with small and seemingly insignificant responsibilities. Ruth's task, though menial, tiring, and perhaps degrading, was done faithfully. What is your attitude when the task you have been given does not require your full potential? The task at hand may be all you can do, or it may be the work God wants you to do. Or, as in Ruth's case, it may be a test of your character that might open up new doors of opportunity.

BIBLE READING: 2 1 Kings 10:30-36
KEY BIBLE VERSE: The LORD said to Jehu, "You have done well in following my instructions to destroy the family of Ahab. Because of this I will cause your descendants to be the kings of Israel down to the fourth generation." But Jehu did not obey the law of the LORD, the God of Israel, with all his heart. He refused to turn from the sins of idolatry that Jeroboam had led Israel to commit. (2 1 Kings 10:30-31)

Representing God is not always serving him. As with many of the kings of Israel, Jehu did much of what the Lord told him to, but he did not obey him with all his heart. He had become God's instrument for carrying out justice, but he had not become God's servant. As a result, he gave only lip service to God while permitting the worship of the golden calves. We need to check the condition of our heart toward God. We can be very active in our work for God and still not give the wholehearted obedience he desires.

BIBLE READING: Luke 19:11-27
KEY BIBLE VERSE: The crowd was listening to everything Jesus said. And because he was nearing Jerusalem, he told a story to correct the impression that the Kingdom of God would begin right away. (Luke 19:11)

Wherever we go and whatever we do, our work ought to leave behind an impression that we are seeking to serve God rather than just people. This story showed Jesus' followers what they were to do during the time between Jesus' departure and his second coming. Because we live in that time period, it applies directly to us. We have been given excellent resources to build and expand God's kingdom. Jesus expects us to use these talents so that they multiply and the kingdom grows. He asks each of us to account for what we do with his gifts. While awaiting the coming of the kingdom of God in glory, we must do Christ's work.

BIBLE READING: John 3:22-36
KEY BIBLE VERSE: John replied, "God in heaven appoints each person's work." (John 3:27)

God gives each person a special job to do. John explained that because God had given him his work, he had to continue it until God called him to do something else. John's main purpose was to point people to Christ. Even with Jesus beginning his own ministry, John could still turn people to Jesus.

BIBLE READING: Ephes. 6:5-9
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Work hard, but not just to please your masters when they are watching. As slaves of Christ, do the will of God with all your heart. Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. (Ephes. 6:6-7)

All our work ought to be done with Christ in mind. Paul's instructions encourage responsibility and integrity on the job. Christian employees should do their job as if Jesus Christ were their supervisor. And Christian employers should treat their employees fairly and with respect. Can you be trusted to do your best, even when the boss is not around? Do you work hard and with enthusiasm? Do you treat your employees as people, not machines? Remember that no matter whom you work for, and no matter who works for you, the one you ultimately should want to please is your Father in heaven.

—Handbook of Bible Application

SPIRITUAL GIFTS
(Abilities, Talents, Tools)

What is the nature and use of spiritual gifts?

BIBLE READING: Romans 12:1-8
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christ's body. We are all parts of his one body, and each of us has different work to do. And since we are all one body in Christ, we belong to each other, and each of us needs all the others. (Romans 12:4-5)

God gives us spiritual gifts so we can work together to serve him and each other. Paul uses the concept of the human body to teach how Christians should live and work together. Just as the parts of the body function under the direction of the brain, so Christians are to work together under the command and authority of Jesus Christ (see 1 Cor. 12:12-31; Ephes. 4:1-16).

God gives us gifts so we can build up his church. To use them effectively, we must (1) realize that all gifts and abilities come from God; (2) understand that not everyone has the same gifts; (3) know who we are and what we do best; (4) dedicate our gifts to God's service and not to our personal success; and (5) be willing to utilize our gifts wholeheartedly, not holding back anything from God's service.

Our gifts, though different, are all useful. Our gifts differ in nature, power, and effectiveness according to God's wisdom and graciousness, not according to our faith. "Measuring your value by how much faith God has given you" (Romans 12:3) means that God will give the spiritual power necessary and appropriate to carry out each responsibility. We cannot, by our own effort or willpower, drum up more faith and thus be more effective teachers or servants. These are God's gifts to his church, and he gives faith and power as he wills. Our role is to be faithful and to seek ways to serve others with what Christ has given us.

Christians using their gifts to serve God and each other create an exciting fellowship. Look at the list of gifts in this passage and imagine the kinds of people who would have each gift. Prophets are often bold and articulate. Servers (those in ministry) are faithful and loyal. Teachers are clear thinkers. Preachers know how to motivate others. Givers are generous and trusting. Leaders are good organizers and managers. Those who comfort others are caring people who are happy to give their time to others. It would be difficult for one person to embody all these gifts. An assertive prophet would not usually make a good counselor, and a generous giver might fail as a leader. When you identify your own gifts (and this list is far from complete), ask how you can use them to build up God's family. At the same time, realize that your gifts can't do the work of the church all alone. Be thankful for people whose gifts are completely different from yours. Let your strengths balance their weaknesses, and be grateful that their abilities make up for your deficiencies. Together you can build Christ's church.

BIBLE READING: 1 Cor. 12:1-31
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Now there are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but it is the same Holy Spirit who is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service in the church, but it is the same Lord we are serving. There are different ways God works in our lives, but it is the same God who does the work through all of us. (1 Cor. 12:4-6)

Spiritual gifts have a single source and a special purpose. The spiritual gifts given to each person by the Holy Spirit are special abilities that are to be used to minister to the needs of the body of believers. This chapter is not an exhaustive list of spiritual gifts (see Romans 12; Ephesians 4; 1 Peter 4:10-11 for more examples). There are many gifts. Some people have more than one gift, and one gift is not superior to another. All spiritual gifts come from the Holy Spirit, and their purpose is to build up Christ's body, the church.

Spiritual gifts have at times been divisive because of pride and jealousy. Instead of building up and unifying the Corinthian church, the issue of spiritual gifts was splitting it. Spiritual gifts had become symbols of spiritual power, causing rivalries. Some people thought they were more "spiritual" than others because of their gifts. This was a terrible misuse of spiritual gifts because their purpose is always to help the church function more effectively, not to divide it. We can be divisive if we insist on using our gift our own way without being sensitive to others. We must never use gifts as a means of manipulating others or serving our own self-interest.

Spiritual gifts ought to be humbly used in service of others. The greater gifts are those that are more beneficial to the body of Christ. Paul has already made it clear that one gift is not superior to another, but he urges the believers to discover how they can serve Christ's body with the gifts God has given them. Your spiritual gifts are not for your own self-advancement. They were given to you for serving God and enhancing the spiritual growth of the body of believers.

BIBLE READING: 1 Thes. 5:12-28
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Do not stifle the Holy Spirit. Do not scoff at prophecies, but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good. Keep away from every kind of evil. (1 Thes. 5:19-22)

Spiritual maturity neither denies nor overemphasizes spiritual gifts. By warning us not to "stifle the Holy Spirit," Paul means that we should not ignore or toss aside the gifts the Holy Spirit gives. Here, he mentions prophecy (1 Thes. 5:20); in 1 Cor. 14:39, he mentions tongues. Some spiritual gifts may be controversial, and they may cause division in a church. Rather than trying to solve the problems, some Christians just smother the gifts. This impoverishes the church. We should not stifle the Holy Spirit's work in anyone's life but encourage the full expression of these gifts to benefit the whole body of Christ.

—Handbook of Bible Application

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faith without works is dead--what are these works, anyway?

James 2:26
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Are these works like these:

Luke 10
25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how do you read it?

27 And he answering said, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbour as yourself.

If I did those two things, would I have the works spoken of in "faith without works is dead"?

Does faith with, say, the 10 commandments, qualify for the "faith without works" phrase?

The decalogue or 10 commandments are not onerous:

You shall love the LORD.
You shall honor your parents.
You shall not lie.
You shall not kill.
You shall not steal, and so on.

All pretty reasonable and fairly easy to decide to do once we are saved.

Then Jesus further condensed the 10 commandments into two commandments: Love the LORD and love my neighbor:

Matthew 22
37 Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbour as yourself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

If I love my neighbor, I won't steal from him and I won't lie to him and I won't covet anything that belongs to him, and so on.

Are those the two works of faith? If those are the works, those are not that hard to do. Basically, faith and the 10 commandments.

But often Christians seem to say that these works also include personal behavior changes, like not smoking cigarettes or losing my temper or letting out a curse when something bad suddenly happened, and so on.

If THOSE are the works, it would be a lot harder to be saved if "faith without works is dead" means personal internal behavior.

So when the Bible says, "faith without works", what works does the Bible have in mind?

love, Eden

If THOSE are the works
these things are

Or do the works of faith

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement