Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » NO GOOD THING

Author Topic: NO GOOD THING
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, barrykind. Let me kind of go thru your Brodgen Topic with you and comment on some pieces. Brogden said:

“I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing" (Romans 7:18a).

Before he saw the Lord, Paul was self-confident and dangerous. Those who trust in themselves have neither seen themselves nor seen the Lord.
Eden here:

Yes, I agree 100% with that. I agree with Watchman Nee and with Isaiah that when a sinner has met the Lord in man’s own spirit and has SEEN HIM, in that moment the man will realize HOW FILTHY HE IS. That was Peter’s testimony and Isaiah’s testimony:

Luke 5:8
8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.

Isaiah 6
5 Then said I {Isaiah}, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

Most Christians have no idea how filthy we really are compared to the Lord, and it shows that they have not seen the Lord in person in their spirit, as Brogden said:

“Before he saw the Lord, Paul was self-confident and dangerous. Those who trust in themselves have neither seen themselves nor seen the Lord.”

Brogden continues:

“I am afraid that many people have the idea that Jesus came only to lend them a hand and help them feel more successful and fulfilled. Today the most popular Christian books tell us how to have a better life, how to prosper, how to be a "winner", how to improve our circumstances, and how to think nice, positive, encouraging thoughts about ourselves. “

“The focus appears to be on making life here on earth more enjoyable and making believers more self-reliant and self-confident.”

Eden here:

Well, actually I DO think that life GOES BETTER WITH GOD, and yes, I DO EXPECT to become MORE CONFIDENT by meeting with the Lord in my spirit and yes, I DO EXPECT to become more SELF-RELIANT in the sense that my life SHOULD GO BETTER with the help of God in my spirit, and yes, IT WILL MAKE MY LIFE MORE ENJOYABLE.

Brogden continues:

“This may not be the stated intention but it is the inevitable result – and if a few Scriptures can be used in the process, so much the better. It would be a mistake to equate holiness with misery and drudgery.

Eden here:

I think that when one is listening to the Lord in one’s spirit, it would be hard to be in MISERY and in DRUDGERY.

Brogden continues:

“But it is an even greater mistake to tell someone how wonderful they are until they have first despaired of themselves and learned the lesson that Paul learned: "In me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing."

Eden here:

Actually, though, what Paul learned is a process of sanctification and not a process of salvation. Salvation precedes sanctification.

What I mean is that people can already be saved and therefore rejoice in God their Saviour, but yet not have come to the realization that their own righteousness is much filthier than they realize: but realizing how filthy our righteousness is, is a work of sanctification and NOT of salvation.

It can indeed be said that when a person admits that they are a sinner and that therefore Jesus died on their behalf, that person has ALREADY LEARNED A LESSON OF FILTH about themselves.

What Paul experienced, and what Peter and Isaiah experienced, is just a DEEPER knowledge of how filthy we really are as Adam and Eve human beings, are compared to the glory and majesty and cleanliness which the Lord possesses:

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags …

With love in Christ,
Eden
"only those who actually take the time to work in the vineyard of the Lord will receive wages"

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 8 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
August 1, 2007

Today's meditation is taken from:
NO GOOD THING
by Chip Brogden

http://www.theschoolofchrist.org/articles/nogood.html

"I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing" (Romans 7:18a).

Before he saw the Lord, Paul was self-confident and dangerous. Those who trust in themselves have neither seen themselves nor seen the Lord. I am afraid that many people have the idea that Jesus came only to lend them a hand and help them feel more successful and fulfilled. Today the most popular Christian books tell us how to have a better life, how to prosper, how to be a "winner", how to improve our circumstances, and how to think nice, positive, encouraging thoughts about ourselves.

The focus appears to be on making life here on earth more enjoyable and making believers more self-reliant and self-confident. This may not be the stated intention but it is the inevitable result – and if a few Scriptures can be used in the process, so much the better. It would be a mistake to equate holiness with misery and drudgery; but it is an even greater mistake to tell someone how wonderful they are until they have first despaired of themselves and learned the lesson that Paul learned: "In me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells no good thing."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subscribe to these daily messages:
http://www.TheSchoolOfChrist.Org/join.html

Order Infinite Supply in print:
http://www.TheSchoolOfChrist.Org/books/infinite.html

©2007 TheSchoolOfChrist.Org. Permission is granted for
non-commercial (free) distribution provided this notice appears.

[spiny]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement