Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Marketing Christianity

Author Topic: Marketing Christianity
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mat 24:5 For many shall come in {the athority of} my name, saying, I {Christ} am Christ; and shall deceive many.

or

Mat 24:5 For many shall come in {the athority of} my name, saying, I am anointed; and shall deceive many.

Biblically, I have found only two kinds of walks.

Eph 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savor.

Phi 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an example. 18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) 20 For our conversation is in heaven...

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

It seems to me, that it is of uttermost import to search and see just exactly what those fore ordained good works are which we should be found walking in.

Unlike the Jews, who had the laws and ordinances to tell them presicely what they were to do, daily, the calling of the church has no such detailed instruction. It may be true that I may not have the exact same works to be walking in as you, but it is written that our boundries have been set that we may walk in them to the praise and glory of His Grace. Moreover we are to be working out that which God has worked in.

Eph 5:15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. 18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; 19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; 21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

walking circumspectly is what one might experience when walking on a thin ledge atop a tremendous height, even on bended knees, while redeeming the time brings the idea of getting to the marketplace early to get the best bargains, being not unwise...and this has to do with reward. not the common salvation where one is saved by fire.

When Paul speaks of running a race, it is the only kind of race which is won by stopping to help up others who have fallen. not quite the idea of a winner in track and field where the winner's goal is to leave others behind.

Work out you own salvation with fear and trembling. also having to do with the prize and reward.

Eph 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, 2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; 3 Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Not make it, but guard that which is already made.

Gen 2:15 And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.

Gen 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Eph 4:3 Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Mat 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Anointing, or there; believe it not.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how "anointing" got in the picture?

Well I guess it is because I was trying to figure out exactly what hype you were talking about. Maybe you can explain exactly what "hype" you mean.

I know that the self anointed people has become very much hype in my mind, so it just came out.

[Wink]

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it is about us sinners, and Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

It is about Jesus Christ which is the Way, the Truth, and the Life opening the gate for us sinners to enter. But it is and always will be about Jesus and not about us. He did not have to open the gate for sinners, but in His love for us He did. It is not because sinners were more important then Christ, but that He loved us so much, He paid our sin dept. So we are to love sinners, because He deserves to have them as He paid for them, not because we (sinners) deserve it, but He told us to. He deserves it. He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lord. We are still just sinners saved by grace. He will ALWAYS be King!

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David:
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him. - John 14:21

and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.

Jesus is saying to be able to know Him and you will keep His commandments and then He will show Himself to you.

So if you fall for the put yourself first and believe in your self hype, you will not get to know Jesus and He will not reveal Himself to you.

You can say you are anoited, and a Christian all you want but it does not make it true. I can say I am a car but it don't make that true either. The way to know if you know Jesus is to do as He ask and then He will reveal Himself to you and let me tell you, YOU WILL KNOW WHEN HE HAS DONE THIS.

First of all you find out real fast that it is not about you, but about Jesus.

But in a very loving way.... which in turn makes you love Him even more.

I'm not sure how "anointing" got in the picture?

I thought this was about the Christian walk. Yes some people do feel they are very anointed. I don't have any claims to that.

If any person can fulfill all of Christ's commandments, by themselves, in their own power, then perhaps they are the anointed ones.

Many Christians are buying the hype that if they are "right" with the Lord, that their life will be a string of successes and that's how they will KNOW they are "right" with the Lord.

It seems that the majority of preachers go with this theme, in some form or fashion.

The Christian will think, act and feel this one way and if they don't then something is wrong with them. (That's the message they teach)

You are right that Jesus Christ is what it's about. Jesus Christ came to save people from Hell. Jesus Christ is the Savior that mankind needs.

So it is about us sinners, and Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda,

I should know about Paul Bunyon since they have a statue of him in this state of Maine in Bangor.

That is funny! Slip of the fingers on the keyboard. [Smile]

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sister White Eagle: You gave me a chuckle this morning! Paul Bunyan was a Giant Lumberjack with a Blue Ox named babe! [roll on floor] [hug] John Bunyan was an English tinker turned baptist preacher from the 15th century who was arrested for preaching without a lisense when his preaching caused a stir among the Quakers of his day in Bedfordshire.

None the less, his allegory is perhaps one of the greatest works of English literature and a good example of the trials that we will face in our Journey to Zion!

Yes indeed if we ENDURE Chastening God dealeth with us a sons; God does not chasten the devil's children. Hebrews 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

quote:
It's important to make that distinction. Some Christians think they are "holy" because they don't do certain things anymore, and it's all based on their own works to be men pleasers.

Yes good point!

David said:
quote:
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him. - John 14:21

Jesus is saying to be able to know Him and you will keep His commandments and then He will show Himself to you.

So if you fall for the put yourself first and believe in your self hype, you will not get to know Jesus and He will not reveal Himself to you.

You can say you are anoited, and a Christian all you want but it does not make it true. I can say I am a car but it don't make that true either. The way to know if you know Jesus is to do as He ask and then He will reveal Himself to you and let me tell you, YOU WILL KNOW WHEN HE HAS DONE THIS.

This is also very true. When ever I find my self in trouble in my walk this is always the problem.. I have slipped into the mind of it being about me or I have taken my eyes off HIM and put them on me. This is so contrary to the world's way in which it is all about me.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
Bunyun also wrote Pilgram's progress while in prison. He knew something of trials in this walk and of the glory to come to those who endure to the end.

Funny how we overlook words like endure... if we must endure... then there must be something to be endured no???

I just quote Hebrews 3:3-8 for J4Jesus, and it describes enduring and also resisting sin. Paul Bunyan went to prison for preaching without a liceanse. In his time, King James was the king, of which we get our King James Bible. Ironic isn't it?

[QB]
quote:
White Eagle: I dont see that we truly make decisions to live one way or another in this life so much as that God changes the desires of our heart... for some of us and in regard to some things this is a painful process. I cannot think of one external change in our lives that was not first wrought by God as a change in the heart and in the mind. Whether it be physical sins that are easy to see or the deeper sins of pride, and self love and misplaced faith that we often do not want to give up... God has to change the heart or the changes external are just dead works that wont enduring[/QB}
It's important to make that distinction. Some Christians think they are "holy" because they don't do certain things anymore, and it's all based on their own works to be men pleasers.

J4Jesus asked a good question. Do all who receive Jesus as Savior get disciplined? It appears the answer is YES.

I want to go back to my main point about the Christian walk and how it is personal and how it is painful and I think that any Christian is who full of hype, just hasn't met the realities of the Refiner yet.

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

quote:
Originally posted by J4Jesus:
Talking about Chastisement and living Holy.

Is this limited to only some Christians?

Because in the Parable of the Ten Virgins, only 5 are in their Bride Groom's will while the other 5 are just messed up.

??

Hebrew 12:3-8 "For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, so that you won't grow weary and lose heart. In struggling against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of sheading your blood. And you have forgotten the exortation that addresses you as sons: My son do not take the Lord's discipline lightly or faint when you are reproved by Him: for the Lord disciplines the one He loves; and punishes every son whom He receives.:
Endure it as discipline. God is dealing with you as sons. For what son is there whom a father does not discipline? But if you are without discipline-which all receive-then you are illegitimate children and not sons."

Looks like it is for all who receive Christ.

J4Jesus
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talking about Chastisement and living Holy.

Is this limited to only some Christians?

Because in the Parable of the Ten Virgins, only 5 are in their Bride Groom's will while the other 5 are just messed up.

??

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bunyun also wrote Pilgram's progress while in prison. He knew something of trials in this walk and of the glory to come to those who endure to the end.

Funny how we overlook words like endure... if we must endure... then there must be something to be endured no???

White Eagle: I dont see that we truly make decisions to live one way or another in this life so much as that God changes the desires of our heart... for some of us and in regard to some things this is a painful process. I cannot think of one external change in our lives that was not first wrought by God as a change in the heart and in the mind. Whether it be physical sins that are easy to see or the deeper sins of pride, and self love and misplaced faith that we often do not want to give up... God has to change the heart or the changes external are just dead works that wont endure.

I was listening to MacArthur day before yesterday and he said... the Christian life is an exchanged life. We dont preach this as we ought! We exchange all that we have and all that we are for all that HE is. We do not call Christ down to intermingle with this life... we must exchange this life for LIFE... HIS Life. I am always in wew of those who get this right away... who just seem to have surrendered all imediately in one fell swoop. For me this life has not been that way... this life has been a life long walk in Bunyun's river of death and the water has been deep at times!! But HE has been with me.

quote:
It would go something like this:

It's not for the cowards, though if you join, The Lord will turn you into a warrior.

It's not for the funloving, though if you join, your Joy will be full.

It's tough, it's hard, it will turn your life upside down, all your former friends will leave you, many in your own family will disown you, you will be alone, you will suffer, you will be wounded, you will not know which way to go at times. The hours are long, the way is hard, and only the weak can make it. You will have to give up all your former life, to gain this new life.
It's scary, it doesn't make sense many times, it seems like it's all for nothing. Just keep going.

Not very inviting, is it?

We know the rewards, but..... don't they seem far away?

And should we even be allowing all that just for the rewards?

Or is it for Love?

Yes, it does sound exactly like that! Not inviting? Hmmm. Well that depends on the degree to which we see the alternative.

Jesus asked the disciples... will you now leave me also? They replied: To whom would we go???

There is no other place to go. But you have to love HIM more than you love this life to see that!If we are not doing it for love.. I dont think that it can be done. There is nothing wrong with seeing the prize that awaits at the end of the race and running toward that prize as if you are running to win it.. to obtain it... to possess it... but do we know that the prize is CHRIST. Does the reward seem far away? Not any more.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
Originally posted by WhiteEagle:

Or is it for Love?

It is for love! To know Jesus is to know love!

I agree that is what should be preached. Because when the feel good gospel is preached, people give up when things get bad, and bad it will get!

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. - Hebrews 12:2

who for the joy that was set before him

Yes we are to look forward to our hope which is Jesus Christ, then we can sing in prison like Paul did. We can endure knowing our hope is in Jesus, our life is in Jesus, our purpose is in Jesus.

Knowing this we can endure, and run the race to win. It is not about us, but about Him.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I put this on the Bible Study thread as it is not about false teachers so much as it is about how we all perceive what the Christian Walk really is.

Lately I've been listening to Christian radio on my commute to work. It's mostly Baptist type preaching. So hopefully most of you will agree that is real Christianity, or at least not heretical.

Most of these radio jock preachers and they are not alone, because goodness knows I've heard it from the pulpits too. Most like to put what a Christian is... into a slot or catorogize how a Christian should always feel, think, and act.
And if one doesn't think, feel or act a certain way, then... they aren't right. or aren't a Christian.

They always talk about the "benefits"(like it's a job opportunity or something) of being a Christian. It's like they are trying to recuit people. (I don't mean the eternal life rider BENEFIT,) but they talk about how one should be blessed now in their spirit and everything will be just right, if one is in God's will, etc. They talk about how much better we have it, than the poor old world, etc, and how we have a better life on earth if we are a Christian.

Personally I'm rather tired of that kind of hype.

Books like Pilgrims Progress and Hannah Hurrard's "Hind's Feet on High Places" seem to reflect what the real Christian walk is, in reality.

Any thoughts or do you need more clarification of what I speak of.

I've always been tempted to call these guys up and ask how good did Paul, Stephen, John the Baptist, et al, had it? They got whacked!

I admit, we've got it better in this country than many of our brothers and sisters who are rotting in jail cells or who are murdered on behalf of Christ, but that's about it. And sometimes I wonder if this country isn't headed on the same path.

Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Since we seem to live in a society that needs to market or advertize all things.

The marketing ads for Christianity would sound closer to the ads they have for the Marines.

If preachers really preached the truth of the gospel.

It would go something like this:

It's not for the cowards, though if you join, The Lord will turn you into a warrior.

It's not for the funloving, though if you join, your Joy will be full.

It's tough, it's hard, it will turn your life upside down, all your former friends will leave you, many in your own family will disown you, you will be alone, you will suffer, you will be wounded, you will not know which way to go at times. The hours are long, the way is hard, and only the weak can make it. You will have to give up all your former life, to gain this new life.
It's scary, it doesn't make sense many times, it seems like it's all for nothing. Just keep going.

Or is it for Love?

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Linda,

This really isn't about the decisions one decided to make as a Christian, such as not living a self-indulgent life.

This is about what the Lord does to us after we accept His Son and turn our lives over to Him.We can't sanctify ourselves or burn out our ingrained sins such as pride, or jealousy, or other behaviors that are not the fruits of the Spirit.

The Lord seeks to have us grow up in Christ and we do partake of His sufferings, and we are made to suffer to purge out the dross and it's not easy to endure at times.

Sometimes it's the Lord's chastisement, but that is part of the whole walk with Christ. To be made in the likeness of His image.

No "good" decision we could make helps to refine the dross, it's only God's hand in our lives that gives us the trials and tests that shape our characters to produce the fruits of the spirit.

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

quote:
Originally posted by SoftTouch:
quote:
The walk of the believer is not all peaches and cream.

It's being purged and refined and pounded into dust by the Rock.

Anyone relate?

Agreed! Those Radio Jock Preachers are Way Off the Mark [Frown] We were told to expect persecution for His Sake. To take up our Cross daily and follow him. To consider it a Blessing when we are persecuted for HIS sake. No where does the Lord or the Apostles tell us that being a Disciple of Jesus will give us a better life (Prosperity) on Earth. That's plain False Teaching there.
Persecution is not what I'm talking about in this instance.

Some might call it the process of Sanctification, or maturing in Christ.

It's painful. It's personal. It's about dying to self.

I'm reading "Hind's Feet on High Places" which is an allegory of one Christian's walk.

Pilgrim's Progress is also another book that is an allegory of the Christian Walk.

What they taught back in Paul Bunyon's time about Christianity is NOT popular.

Repentance, Grieving, sorrow and suffering all over what we die to in the flesh. All what we regret and how the Lord uses that, to grow us up into the likeness of Christ.

So this isn't about outside persecution.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

I so very much agree with you White Eagle and I feel it is really a very tragic thing because it draws people for the wrong reasons and then when they believe themselves to have become Christians and they find that their own lives do not reflect the picture that was painted for them, them turn away disillusioned.

Right now I am worried about someone I love very much who is in this situation. I often feel that this person sees God as a vending machine... push button one... all your bills are paid... button 2 no ill comes to your family... button 3 your health is is perfect... button 4 you will never be depressed... etc etc etc.

Sometimes I feel like screaming READ YOUR BIBLE!!! We are not promised a Rose Garden in this earth that is without thorns!!!

Paul speaks much of being in affliction:

2 Corinthians 2:4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.

2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

2 Corinthians 8:2 How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality.

Philippians 4:14 Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.

1 Thessalonians 1:6 And ye became followers of us, and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Ghost:

1 Thessalonians 3:7 Therefore, brethren, we were comforted over you in all our affliction and distress by your faith:

Hebrews 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

We need a comforter because we will in this walk need comforting!

Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Romans 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 12:12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

2 Corinthians 1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

1 Thessalonians 3:4 For verily, when we were with you, we told you before that we should suffer tribulation; even as it came to pass, and ye know.

In the letters to the churches Jesus speaks to those who are in poverty.. have little strength... have suffered tribulation

I often think that we do people a much greater service to say "count the cost" this walk is not trial and struggle. Even more so that is in the world because the enemy is contantly attacking the children of God.

Seek ye first the Kingdom... we have to come to Christ because we know we are sinners bound for hell and we know that God is God and has for us forgiveness and mercy and grace through Christ.

We have to come seeking HIM and not what HE can do to make this life more pallatable... because in reality life in sin is much more pallatable to our flesh in this life than is the Christian life of walking in the spirit. Worldly pleasure for a short time is still pleasure.

Hebrews 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

HIS reward is with HIM...

We must love HIM because HE is worthy of our love for what He has alrady done for us even if HE never answered another prayer..

Sometimes it is God's will that we are in prison. Paul was not out of God's will when he was imprisoned. Sometimes it is within God's will that we suffer... Christ suffered!

Hal and I were talking about this just the other day. I would rather be in God's will living in a cardboard box in the rain than out of God's will living in the Plaza. Praise God this earth is not our HOME and the things of the world not our treasure or reward.. and this life just a blink of an eye in all eternity! We have to have a bigger picture than this life because this life as a Christian will probably not look as good to the carnal mind as the life of the sinner.

We have friends who think we are nuts because we dont spend our lives living for the weekend and the party and we dont enjoy the carefree self endulgent lifstyles that they have... on the surface they look better than we do.. have more money live in a bigger house drive nicer cars, experience more entertainment and worldly pleasure etc etc etc.

We both feel that we have been there and done that and this way may not look so good at times, but it is the only way for us. Temporary pleasure now.. or eternal glory? Things are not always as they seem.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

We chose instead Life! The pearl was so precious we sold all that we had! Thank God for allowing us to see it!
[hug]

Here is to the Christian life without Hype... it may not at this time appear so glorious, but the eye of man has not seen nor ear heard the things that God has prepared for us! [thumbsup2]

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Anyone relate?

Agreed! Those Radio Jock Preachers are Way Off the Mark [Frown] We were told to expect persecution for His Sake. To take up our Cross daily and follow him. To consider it a Blessing when we are persecuted for HIS sake. No where does the Lord or the Apostles tell us that being a Disciple of Jesus will give us a better life (Prosperity) on Earth. That's plain False Teaching there.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Anyone relate?

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

I put this on the Bible Study thread as it is not about false teachers so much as it is about how we all perceive what the Christian Walk really is.

Lately I've been listening to Christian radio on my commute to work. It's mostly Baptist type preaching. So hopefully most of you will agree that is real Christianity, or at least not heretical.

Most of these radio jock preachers and they are not alone, because goodness knows I've heard it from the pulpits too. Most like to put what a Christian is... into a slot or catorogize how a Christian should always feel, think, and act.
And if one doesn't think, feel or act a certain way, then... they aren't right. or aren't a Christian.

They always talk about the "benefits"(like it's a job opportunity or something) of being a Christian. It's like they are trying to recuit people. (I don't mean the eternal life rider BENEFIT,) but they talk about how one should be blessed now in their spirit and everything will be just right, if one is in God's will, etc. They talk about how much better we have it, than the poor old world, etc, and how we have a better life on earth if we are a Christian.

Personally I'm rather tired of that kind of hype.

Books like Pilgrims Progress and Hannah Hurrard's "Hind's Feet on High Places" seem to reflect what the real Christian walk is, in reality.

Any thoughts or do you need more clarification of what I speak of.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement