Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Its in the blood!

Author Topic: Its in the blood!
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 14 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMEN and AMEN Y'all!

quote:
Now here’s the beauty of the King James Version description—an observer looking at the pattern of blood would see a cross, a cross of blood formed by an imaginary line connecting the two spots of blood chest high on the vertical portion of the doorframe with the horizontal, overhead portion of the blood dripping down from the lintel.
WOW Indeed!!!! God is So Awesome!!!! [clap2] [clap2] [clap2] Thank you for sharing that Sis! I'm not sure I would have caught that picture from just reading the text, that is so awesome! And thank you Art for starting this thread!

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! That is very cool! Thank you so much for sharing that Kindgo!!! Does God not just continually keep you in awe! He certainly does me. Great thread Art! Great visual aide Kindgo!! [clap2]
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Art I loved your study on the Blood.
[type]

I hope you like the one I added.. I know you like the KJV part. [Razz] I got it from a friend
a long time ago. I did not write it.

Its nice to be of the same spirit [youpi] [youpi]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Passover Application of Blood--The KJV vs. the NIV

One of the fascinating studies of scriptures for me is the study of the symbolism of Christ in the Old Testament. For believers, looking for clues of Jesus’ future work in stories of the Old Testament can be very rewarding.

One of my favorites is the Passover story. It has many examples of symbols of Christ’s redemptive work for mankind in it. I’m sure you are familiar with it—Jews selected a sacrificial lamb without blemish, killed it and put blood on their doorposts and lintel (top frame of door) so the angel of death would pass over them and spare their firstborn son.

I want to discuss the putting of the blood on the doorposts and lintel, the symbolism of it, and compare how different versions of the Bible tell the story.

Perhaps you’ve seen the movie “The Ten Commandments” and Hollywood’s rendition of this event. In it you see the male of the Jewish household dip some clippings of the hyssop plant into a small pail of blood and then smear or paint a section of the doorpost and lintel with the blood. The area painted looks like the rough outline of a rectangle about eight to ten inch long and perhaps three to four inches wide.

(Picture dipping a four inch wide paintbrush into a can of paint and painting a stroke about eight inches long.) You will see just how wrong this picture is when you consider the characteristics of the hyssop plant, described below.

Indeed this is the picture you would probably draw if you read some of the newer versions of the Bible.

The story can be found in Exodus 12; the application of the blood in Exodus 12:7 and Exodus 12:22. But if you read it in the King James Version you get a much clearer picture and the symbolism jumps out at you.

I want to zero in on verse 22 where Moses instructs the elders on exactly the method they should use when applying the blood. Let’s look at it, first in the New International Version and then in the King James.

22 Take a bunch of hyssop, dip it into the blood in the basin and put some of the blood on the top and on both sides of the doorframe. Not one of you shall go out the door of his house until morning. [NIV]

Pretty vague, huh? “Dip a bunch of hyssop in the blood and put blood on the top and on both side of the doorframe.” You could imagine several configurations for the blood to be put on the doorframe here—from smallish dabbed-on spots to wide, lengthy rectangles (as in the Ten Commandments).

Now look at the King James Version:

22And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the bason, and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the bason; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning. [KJV]

Now here is a much clearer picture of the application of the blood. First of all, consider the hyssop plant. It is a green bushy plant that grow shoots about twelve to eighteen inches tall. The leaves are small, soft and spongy, actually limp. They are not stiff, so couldn’t be used like a paint brush. See:

-

Now notice the difference in wording between “put” and “strike”. Once you consider the structure of the hyssop plant there really is only one way to apply the blood, namely, striking the limp plant against the doorposts and lintel.

I picture the person thwacking the hyssop plant against the doorframe. I imagine this application would leave a three to four inch circular splotch of blood about chest high on both the doorposts and a similar splotch centered directly overhead on the lintel (maybe some of the blood from the top doorframe drips down to the ground). Now here’s the beauty of the King James Version description—an observer looking at the pattern of blood would see a cross, a cross of blood formed by an imaginary line connecting the two spots of blood chest high on the vertical portion of the doorframe with the horizontal, overhead portion of the blood dripping down from the lintel.

I think that picture of the cross on the Passover doorframe is awesome symbolism!

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello Art, long time no see.

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitch
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perf,,,eh

Hitch

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artbook
Member # 5690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artbook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its In The Blood

The enemy has come in like a flood in the 20th century. There is blatant ungodliness, unashamed immodesty and immorality, materialism, worldly pleasures, self-seeking actions of every kind and apostasy in the church. Not to mention a general revolt against God on every hand.

There are several defenses in this day and hour. Obedience to the Word of God, intercessory prayer, fellowship of believers and a full yielding to the Holy Spirit of God.

Of all the defenses, one stands out ever so strongly. it is the precious blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. To some it is despised, to others it is denied, and the learned have relegated it to "antiquity"..However it is of utmost importance for all of life itself:

- The blood of Christ was shed for sin - Matthew 26:28: "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

- It is the blood of Christ that was shed to purchase the church of God -Acts 20:28: "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood."

- Redemption was brought to us by blood -Ephesians 1:7: "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace."

- It is precious blood - 1 Peter 1:19 "But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:"

- It is this blood that has made peace - Colossians 1:20 "And having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; ...."

- It is this blood that cleanses our conscience from dead works. - Hebrews 9:14 "How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God."

- It is this blood that saves us - 1 John 1:7 ".....and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."

- It is the blood that allows us to enter into the holiest - Hebrews 10:19 - "Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus."

- It is the blood by which we are sanctified - Hebrews 13:12 "Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate."

- It is the blood by which we can overcome the Devil - Revelation 12:11 "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death."

- It is the blood that binds us eternally to God in an everlasting covenant - Hebrews 13:20 "Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant."

Leviticus 17:11 - For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

In the Old Testament many animals were slain in sacrifice. Their blood was shed, which we know could never take away sin, but in fact pointed to one that was to come who would shed his blood and his blood would take away sin once for all.

Like wise in the book of Exodus, chapter 12, we read of the blood applied to the side posts and the lentils. When the death angel saw the blood, judgment was passed over that household. This so vividly teaches us what Christ did for us on the cross when He shed His blood. "When I see the blood, I will pass over you."

When a Holy Righteous God sees a sinner who has come to the cross of Calvary for cleansing by the blood of His Dear Son, judgment is passed over that individual and will never again be under the condemnation of a Holy God.

--------------------
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement