Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Gift of Hunger

Author Topic: The Gift of Hunger
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
HisGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 3438

Icon 16 posted April 13, 2006 08:08 AM Profile for HisGrace Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote

What in the world is all of that about? [Confused] [Confused]
I am very puzzled, wondering what your motive could be for posting this Caretaker??

By this statement it looks like I have been sending you private messages. I want our 'viewing audience' to know that I have never sent you a private message. [Confused]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
HisGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 3438

Icon 16 posted April 13, 2006 08:08 AM Profile for HisGrace Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote

What in the world is all of that about? [Confused] [Confused]

quote:Originally posted by Caretaker:
If there is no hunger, they will cease to seek with fervency, strong desire. They will feel satisfied in their own self-righteousness, their comfort zone.

~Brother Caretaker you take it upon yourself to freely judge others. Do you never have any motes in your own eye?

Judging us are you HisGrace?

~I think you have things turned around Caretaker. You are the one used the word self-righteousness.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BORN AGAIN wrote
quote:
Is there such a thing as "too much" of the LORD?
helpforhomeschoolers answered
quote:
NEVER, but sometimes he gives us too much of what our heart desires apparently.
James 1:14
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Galatians 6:7
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.

Romans 3:23
But all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.

Romans 12:3
For I say, through the grace given to me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God has dealt to every man the measure.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is there such a thing as "too much" of the LORD?
NEVER, but sometimes he gives us to much of what our heart desires apparently
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

quote:
state of overindulgence: a state in which somebody has had enough or too much
While with humans certain things can be "too much of a good thing", but with what the LORD offers to eat, one can never be satiated, right? Is there such a thing as "too much" of the LORD? I think not.

(Although I heard one account many years ago where one Christian was being so blessed one afternoon in his room by the LORD that he had to say to the LORD, "stop, stop, I can't take any more.")

BORN AGAIN

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sa·ti·e·ty [ sə t ətee ]

noun

Definitions:

state of overindulgence: a state in which somebody has had enough or too much

God giving Satiety to those who were not satisfied with nutritious manna and wanted flesh to eat:

Numbers 11:31 ¶ And there went forth a wind from the LORD, and brought quails from the sea, and let them fall by the camp, as it were a day’s journey on this side, and as it were a day’s journey on the other side, round about the camp, and as it were two cubits high upon the face of the earth.
32 And the people stood up all that day, and all that night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread them all abroad for themselves round about the camp.
33 And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of the LORD was kindled against the people, and the LORD smote the people with a very great plague.
34 And he called the name of that place Kibrothhattaavah: because there they buried the people that lusted.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HisGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 3438

quote:Originally posted by Caretaker:
If there is no hunger, they will cease to seek with fervency, strong desire. They will feel satisfied in their own self-righteousness, their comfort zone.

Brother Caretaker you take it upon yourself to freely judge others. Do you never have any motes in your own eye? [Bible]

--------------------
WWJTHINK

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Judging us are you HisGrace?

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
But the satiated by the things of God, now that person is in the best position and has found the Promised Land, I would think. [youpi]

I would rather entitle the Topic "The Gift of Satiation" instead, therefore. God bless, BORN AGAIN in the USA

Powerful insight BORN AGAIN!

What about the poor widow whose jars were overflowing with so many blessings that they were spilling all over the place. She even ran out of jars. She was desperate (hungry)to pay her bills, and God more than provided for her need.

2 Kings 4:1-7

This is the story about the widow of one of Elisha's fellow prophets who had a creditor at her door threatening to take her two sons as slaves if she didn't pay her debts.

Elisha offered to help and asked what she had in the house and she said nothing at all, except a flask of oil. Elisha told her to borrow as many empty jars as possible from friends and neighbors. Then he instructed her to go into her house and shut the door, saying to her "Pour olive oil from your flask into the jars, setting the jars aside as they are filled."

Her sons brought many jars to her, and she filled one after another. Soon every container was full to the brim! When there weren't anymore jars, the olive oil stopped flowing.

When she told Elisha what had happened to her, he told her to sell the olive oil and pay her debts, and there would be enough left over to support her and her sons.

The lesson learned here is 1.Make room for Jesus, and 2. Release your faith. Blessings are dependent on the available space. The flow of oil (blessings) doesn't stop until we stop expecting - faith will stop long before his resources will. We have to constantly die to ourselves in order to make room for his boundless flow. Sometimes God will make room for himself by creating a need in us so that we will cry out to him.

Like me, many of you probably know the hymn He Giveth and giveth and giveth again - his grace is endless.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The desires of carnal man are easily satiated with the things of this world" So true for

Jesus said in Luke 6:25

"Woe to you who are full, For you shall hunger."

"but the Appetite to remain and the child to get the nutrition needed"

Jesus said in Luke 6:21

"Blessed are you who hunger Now (appetite remaining) For you shall be filled"

Shall be filled as in with something other than empty calories I would suspect.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

BA, Satisfaction is a state where one is content, his need being met. Satifaction of hunger bring nourishment... the author says.

Satiety - is the state of being overindulged.... thus a lack of desireis present. There is no appetite.

It is possible to maintain a body in a state of Satiety, while it starves to death nutritionally.

A couple generations ago, it was common for young mothers to satiate the appetites of their babies with cereal long before infants should be eating cereal. This kept them quiet and not fussy. But it also made them fat and undernourished at the same time.

By the time my first child was born, pediatritians were wrning mothers not to do this and teaching that for the first 3 months of life no other food than mother's milk should be fed, as this allowed the hunger of the child to be satisfied, but the appetite to remain and the child to get the nutrition needed. However, it also required mothers to be more attentive to their children who were not so satiated that they did nothing but sleep.

quote:
by Drew: If there is no hunger, they will cease to seek with fervency, strong desire. They will feel satisfied in their own self-righteousness, their comfort zone.

I agree; the desires of carnal man are easily satiated with the things of this world; the cry of the soul that hungers for something more is thereby put to sleep, like the baby that has been filled up with cereal with empty calories at the expense of needed vitamins and minerals. I thought the article was very intuitive.
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:

Brother Caretaker you take it upon yourself to freely judge others. Do you never have any motes in your own eye? [Bible]
HisGrace
unregistered

Yes, we need a real hunger and thirst for His daily mercy and grace.

Mark 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. [Cross]

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Sis!!!!!

Rev. 3:
14: And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15: I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16: So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17: Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19: As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Heb. 11:
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

I was enjoying reading along, thought it was good, til I came to this phrase
quote:
The psalmist writes that God "satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things" (Psalm 107:9).

It is not the satiated who find the Promised Land, but those whose hunger drives them to God. {bold by BORN AGAIN}

After reading Psalm 107:9 and what she had said before that, I was surprised to read the above bolded statement, for I would have thought that "those satiated with the good things had indeed found the Promised Land!"

The hungry for God are not in the best position, but as Jesus said, "you are not far from the kingdom of God".

But the satiated by the things of God, now that person is in the best position and has found the Promised Land, I would think. [youpi]

I would rather entitle the Topic "The Gift of Satiation" instead, therefore.

God bless, BORN AGAIN in the USA

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Betsy Childs
The Gift of Hunger
When a recent illness caused me to lose my appetite, it set me thinking about the nature of hunger and the purpose it serves. When one is sick and can't eat, the body grows weaker and weaker. The longer one goes without nourishment, the more one needs it, but the less energy one has to seek and possess it. The healthy body feels hunger, and while hunger is not thought of as a pleasant sensation, it is altogether necessary for our well-being.

There is a vast difference between having no appetite and having one's hunger satisfied. On the surface, the two may appear identical in that they are characterized by a lack of hunger pangs. Yet the satisfaction of hunger leads to nourishment, while the lack of hunger leads to starvation.

The Scriptures recognize this difference; they never praise the lack of hunger, but rather the satisfaction of it. The psalmist writes that God "satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things" (Psalm 107:9). It is not the satiated who find the Promised Land, but those whose hunger drives them to God:

"He turns a desert into pools of water,
a parched land into springs of water.
And there he lets the hungry dwell,
and they establish a city to live in;
they sow fields and plant vineyards
and get a fruitful yield." (Psalm 107:35-37)

This recognition of the good place of hunger is, I believe, a crucial difference between Christianity and Buddhism. Buddhists seek to eradicate desire so that they cannot feel pain; nirvana is a state emancipated from all desire. Christ taught us to seek the satisfaction of our desire in God, saying, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled" (Matthew 5:6). And just as a lack of hunger could eventually lead to starvation, the extermination of desire leads to spiritual starvation.

I was recently talking to a friend who, because everything in her life was going well, had experienced a slackening of her spiritual appetite. She didn't hunger for God like she had in times less prosperous and found herself feeding on his word less and less. I'm glad that she recognized that this could only begin a vicious cycle, whereby her spirit would grow weaker and weaker unless she disciplined herself to keep feeding it. Just as when we don't feel like eating, we must continue to eat, when we don't feel our need for God, we must continue to seek him.

When my appetite returned and I sat before a nourishing meal, I found myself thanking God not just for the food that He had provided, but for the hunger that drove me to seek it. Likewise, we should bless the desires of our hearts when they make us feel our need of God. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for Him, for they will be filled.

© 2005 Ravi Zacharias International Ministries. All Rights Reserved.http://rzim.org/publications/slicetran.php?sliceid=1128

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement