Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » An Eye for an Eye....

Author Topic: An Eye for an Eye....
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
May I humbly suggest that, this reflects Mar 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part -

wherein the eye indicates a group, such as a seditious church group, or a member who needs to be plucked out, rather than physically removing the eye from it's socket.

Mar 9:47 -
With one eye (μονόφθαλμον)
Lit., one-eyed. One of Mark's words which is branded as slang *.

wherein the hellfire reflects the place where (O.T.) the Jews made their children pass through the fire,

v48 from Isa. 66. 44
v49 concludes 'For'..., denoting the reason of the arguments subject, everyone shall be salted with fire, every sacrifice, &c. Some texts omit this clausee, but not the Syr. Ref.s to Pent. (Lev.2. 13). This intorduced by 'For', the reason whereby the lesser (finite and temporal) evil; for every sacrifice is salted to assist the burning, Deut. 29. 23. It is better therefor to endure the removal of the stumbling block now, than to lose the reward spoken of in v41,

Please do consider that the fire burnt the sin contained as Hebrew Word Pictures given as examples of the true, whereby children were to learn and consider when called forth to grow up into spiritual maturity when the law would be fulfilled in Christ Jesus - as

Lev 18:21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.

Eze 16:21 That thou hast slain my children, and delivered them to cause them to pass through the fire for them?
Eze 16:22 And in all thine abominations and thy whoredoms thou hast not remembered the days of thy youth,

God never even considered having any of His destroyed by fire - this simply was not a consideration reflecting His Holiness -

for it is the works which are to pass through the fire, not the individual -

- the loss is reward - the purpose and plan of the ages is redemption -

I know this post was not to me, but I have to question this... I agree that now through Christ it is the works that pass through the fire, and I agree that the purpose and plan of the ages has always been redemption, but I question that this implies that God never intended the man pass through the fire.

Is not also the plan the destruction of the works of the devil and is not the works of the devil the sin in the flesh and thus did not God intend that the flesh would pass through the fire?

It is thorough Christ that the soul also does not pass through the fire; but the body? I believe that the body was always to pass through the fire.

Also, and perhaps you are over my head an I just do not understand what you are saying, but also.. Molech... the children that were sacrificed to Molech were sacrificed for the apeasement of Molech and the benefit of the parents... they sacrificed their children to be burned alive to make their own lives better (so they believed).... This cannot be compared to God allowing our flesh and sin in it to pass through the fire for our own works done in the flesh.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You did not Offend me at all! I was not following you. [Big Grin] The context of the verses I used was not that they were stated in response to the situation of a woman who was made to miscarry.. though the precept certainly does apply to that situation, I would agree with that completely. The precept was for to deal with situations as that. Then I was looking for the place you spoke of... was it Exodus 21? and now you have confirmed that it was. I also agree that it was given to the Hebrews and pertained to them, and to the stranger that sojourned among them, but the jest of this thread was to show that God used this to show them justness in judgment when the magistrates judged. Indeed it is totally taken out of context as was my point and as was Jesus' point I believe in the sermon on the mount... this speaks to justness of judgements and not to give you the right to punch me if I punch you first.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
quote:
Recalling the surrounding text, considering only what is proffered by subject, object, context - following these from onset to conclusion -

- is not the verse(s) 'eye...eye...tooth' expressly relate to a brawl, wherein the woman loses an unborn child, and that, non-intentional?

I gave the context surrounding the scriptures that I used.
Yes, you did. I put forth the questions for general reflection, as this verse is so taken out of context by the mainstream, given to personal excuse inso often as can be rationalized, in no way meaning to accuse or beride anyone here.

Please accept my appologies in that I have offended you without intent.

My draw was from memory, pertaining to -

Exo 21:22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.
Exo 21:23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
Exo 21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

Yet it certainly only pertained to the Hebrew Tribes to whom it was given - even -

Mat 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also (speaking on when they would go forth preaching Christ crucified, repentance, the at hand kingdom).
Mat 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat (what does the coat represent), let him have thy cloak also.
Mat 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Mat 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
Mark 9:47
And if your eye offends you, pluck it out: it is better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

May I humbly suggest that, this reflects Mar 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part -

wherein the eye indicates a group, such as a seditious church group, or a member who needs to be plucked out, rather than physically removing the eye from it's socket.

Mar 9:47 -
With one eye (μονόφθαλμον)
Lit., one-eyed. One of Mark's words which is branded as slang *.

wherein the hellfire reflects the place where (O.T.) the Jews made their children pass through the fire,

v48 from Isa. 66. 44
v49 concludes 'For'..., denoting the reason of the arguments subject, everyone shall be salted with fire, every sacrifice, &c. Some texts omit this clausee, but not the Syr. Ref.s to Pent. (Lev.2. 13). This intorduced by 'For', the reason whereby the lesser (finite and temporal) evil; for every sacrifice is salted to assist the burning, Deut. 29. 23. It is better therefor to endure the removal of the stumbling block now, than to lose the reward spoken of in v41,

Please do consider that the fire burnt the sin contained as Hebrew Word Pictures given as examples of the true, whereby children were to learn and consider when called forth to grow up into spiritual maturity when the law would be fulfilled in Christ Jesus - as

Lev 18:21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.

Eze 16:21 That thou hast slain my children, and delivered them to cause them to pass through the fire for them?
Eze 16:22 And in all thine abominations and thy whoredoms thou hast not remembered the days of thy youth,

God never even considered having any of His destroyed by fire - this simply was not a consideration reflecting His Holiness -

for it is the works which are to pass through the fire, not the individual -

- the loss is reward - the purpose and plan of the ages is redemption -

1Co 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. 16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Throughout the Bible, the context is always provided that God is a consuming fire, and what is it that is consumed? Is it not the sin of the people? Even if the individual had to be removed from life under the sun, that the works of the Lord would be manifest, declaring His Holiness, not to us, but to His chosen people, of whom He Himself stated clearly He came for none other than they, the children of Israel (Jacob) -

Mal 3:2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness. 4 Then shall the offering ** of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the LORD, as in the days of old ***, and as in former years. 5 And I will come near to you to judgment (always reflects redemption towards His Righteousness); and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts. 6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed ****.

which case was set forth for 35 years during the reoffering of the kingdom given in Acts, and the related epistles, wherein they seperated / removed themselves from those who would uphold the old law, rejecting the fulfillment of the law in Christ - His children ( Mar 9:37, 41 )

which is the lying their crown before His feet (Rev)

age-past times (before the angelic fall) ex - Job 38. 7

Note too, the Figure of Speech, Polysyndeton.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

quote:
Recalling the surrounding text, considering only what is proffered by subject, object, context - following these from onset to conclusion -

- is not the verse(s) 'eye...eye...tooth' expressly relate to a brawl, wherein the woman loses an unborn child, and that, non-intentional?

I gave the context surrounding the scriptures that I used.
epouraniois
unregistered

If so -

- is there any structural content, gramatical modifiers, or otherwise related subject/object orintation, by which the subject matter is directed for extra-contextual expansion towards the promotion of anything other than what is expressly provided?

Psa 127:3 Lo, children are a heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. 4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. 5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

quote:
The new requirements which Jesus the Son of God now commanded to be required for perfect worship was the Sermon on the Mount, and these new commandments were designed that no one could keep them.
BA, I dont see that they were designed that no one could keep them. That would imply that God set man up to fail. I believe that they were designed to show man that he could not be Holy enough to be without sin. They were designed to show man the weakness of his flesh and his need for reliance on God. Let remember us that men were found righteous under the law. But that was because of grace. They were designed to show man that righteousness cannot come by the works of men.. it is a work of God.

ooh, I just realized you said new requirements Jesus gave. I dont believe these were new requirements BA; I believe that they were exposition of the exisiting requirements. I thought you were speaking of the exisiting requirements when I posted the paragraph above.

Jesus only gave one NEW commandment:

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

quote:
I am of the opinion that ANY effort on my part is useless--I've tried it before and it made my life miserable and unhappy--I could never live up to those lofty standards, except occasionally.
While I very much understand what you are saying here, as my personal experience has been that every sin that I once did and no longer do, is a sin that God has in every single case removed from me the desire to do. Each case is to me so clearly not my work, but his... we are not supposed to mind (Give mind to our flesh) However... we are supposed to bring every thought into subjection to Christ; we are supposed to sanctify God in our hearts; we are supposed to renew our minds; and we are supposed to present our bodies as living sacrifice... all these things amount to yeilding to HIM and while you would not and could not do this without Christ indwelling, I believe that these things we do do... not to be saved, but because we are. Paul called it running the race as though we intended to win. So that it is not that it is without ANY effort, it is that it is with HIS effort working through us. HIs yoke is not burdensome, but it is a yoke; a yoke animal is guided directed driven but the animal still must put one foot in front of the other and move...we must move continually toward the Spirit. Walking in the Spirit... "in" really is toward. It shows that our eyes and our mind are ont he spirit not the flesh.
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably what happens between you and me is a difference in opinion of what we, as Christians, are still capable of doing in terms of behavioral change or repairing our tattered personalities after decades of abuse in the Devil's world system.

I am of the opinion that ANY effort on my part is useless--I've tried it before and it made my life miserable and unhappy--I could never live up to those lofty standards, except occasionally.

One day I despaired of myself, "O wretched man that I am," that type of despair, and I said to the Lord, "Lord, unless YOU change me, nothing is going to happen."

Since that day I have been a mostly happy Christian, having confidence that the Holy Spirit is a Nice Person and therefore WHATEVER the Holy Spirit ends up accomplishing in me (I know not what it will be, other than that it will be an improvement over what I was before, whether by much or by little I don't know), but I abandoned all self-effort, having confidence that the Holy Spirit is doing His Best in me.

I have ceased from my own work and am finally at rest in the Lord. If the Lord changes me, I am changed. If not, I am not. It is 100% up to Him now.

I try to listen to the Counsel of the Spirit, and I try to read the Word. That's all I can do and that's all I am going to do. Whatever happens, happens, after that.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

wparr, I find no fault in what you have posted in the post directly above this one. [thumbsup2]

John 19:4
Pilate therefore went forth again, and said to them, Look, I bring him forth to you, that you may know that I find no fault in him.

Thanks for helping me make it through my day.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Mark 9:47
And if your eye offends you, pluck it out: it is better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Should not all then who have looked even once at a woman lustfully now pluck at least one eye out, wparr?

How many eyes would you have now, wparr? One or two? Two eyes: [Smile] Or one eye: [Wink]

Mark 11
31a Then they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say {snip...}

32a But if we shall say {snip...}

33a And then they answered and said to Jesus, We cannot tell. {snip...}

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

wparr writes to BORN AGAIN
quote:
OK so YOU say name calling is OK, as long as it's done by YOUR standards huh.
Actually, you said I was name calling.

I looked up "Judaizer" in the Bible, but to my surprise I actually could not find that word in the Bible, but the principle of Judaizing is in the Bible.

But actually you are not a true Judaizer in the sense that the Judaizers declared that they had to still be circumcised to be saved, and I know that you do not declare that:

Acts 15
1 And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

So, wparr, upon further consideration, you act more like the Pharisee of the parable which Jesus Himself spoke, which I already quoted above. So was Jesus "name-calling"?

Luke 18
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank You that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

13 But the publican {the hated and despised tax-collector}, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes to heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man {the publican} went down to his house justified rather than the other {than the Pharisee}: for everyone who exalts himself shall be abased; and he who humbles himself shall be exalted.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

quote:
About keeping the shrill down, YOU are the one who is name calling!!!
But I did it nicely and calmly, while you have provided me with:

from wparr:
quote:
Did you even READ what I posted BA?????????????
13 question marks. that is shrill.

from wparr:
quote:
What flaw do you find in this view?????????
9 question marks. that is shrill.

from wparr:
quote:
So I say YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT {snip}
ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. that is shrill.

from wparr:
quote:
YOU are the one who is name calling!!!
CAPITAL LETTER YOU and 3 exclamation points. that is shrill.

Keyword search for shrill in the King James Version:

No results were found for shrill in this version: King James Version.

"An Eye for an Eye, A Tooth for a Tooth, it's a good thing we are no longer under the law, eh?"

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

wparr writes
quote:
If YOU consider taking Yahweh's Word seriously being a Judaizer then so be it.
I take Yahweh's Word very seriously.

wparr further writes
quote:
Better than being a carnal christian that seeks to justify pleasing the flesh (that IS NOT grace)
If you are thinking of me when you make this statement (and you are), I am neither a carnal Christian nor seek to justify pleasing the flesh.

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

wparr, can you know your heart so that you can now fix it? Isn't the only thing you can do is throw yourself on the mercy of God?

Luke 18
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank You that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

13 But the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man {the publican} went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one who exalts himself shall be abased; and he who humbles himself shall be exalted.

"please hold the shrill"

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

quote:
Did you even READ what I posted BA?????????????
yep, I read it. you wrote:
quote:
So it's OK to look at a woman lustfully?

So it's OK to be angry with a brother?

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Romans 6:15
What then? Shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Romans 7:7
What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. No, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, You shall not covet.

Romans 7:13
Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

Galatians 3:21
Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

1 Peter 2:10
Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

1 Corinthians 7:14
For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

"please hold the shrill"

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

quote:
So it's OK to look at a woman lustfully?

So it's OK to be angry with a brother?

Nope. I did not say it was okay. I said it is impossible for men to do it.

If it is going to happen at all in anyone it is only through the grace of God in us and through His mercy:

Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 51:1
Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness: according to the multitude of Your tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

Psalm 33:18
Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon them who fear Him, upon them that hope in His mercy.

I find it ironic, wparr, that you of all people here would have chosen that Avatar, because to me you are the number one bornagain Christian Judaizer on this board, followed closely behind by becauseHElives.

Galatians 2
4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage.

14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, If you, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,

16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Romans 7
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

God bless, BORN AGAIN [Cross]
"please hold the shrill"

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

helpforhomeschoolers writes
quote:
Jesus at the Sermon on the Mount was speaking to individuals about governing their own individual lives in a way that was pleasing to God. {bold by BORN AGAIN}
The new requirements which Jesus the Son of God now commanded to be required for perfect worship was the Sermon on the Mount, and these new commandments were designed that no one could keep them.

Compare this Mosaic requirement, "You shall not kill," with one of Jesus's requirements: "Whoever is angry with his brother was now reckoned as a murderer (Mt.5:22). Even calling someone raca or empty-headed would land one before the Lord's Supreme Court and would be found guilty (Mt.5:22).

Jesus's teachings were very severe. He said if anyone looked at a woman in a lustful manner they were still committing outright adultery (Mt.5:28). And the punishment for this type of adultery? The right eye was ordered to be plucked out (Mt.5:29) or the right hand cut off (v.30).

These new commandments for achieving true worship were far beyond the simpler requirements which were in the Mosaic law, and were impossible for humans to keep and the LORD and the Lord knew it. It was done on purpose, to show that in our sinful state, it is impossible to do what it takes to achieve true, untainted worship.

Even the purpose of the law of Moses had been to produce transgressions:

Galatians 3
19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

And what Christ commanded was also intended to produce transgressions.

There can have been no intent on Jesus's part that any individual could or would ever keep them.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, the first time we see this in the scripture is in Exodus 21:24 ; Now, if we go back to the beginning of this chapter we find that God is giving to Moses “Judgments” to set before the people.

A judgment is legal term. It is the decision in a case.

These things were being given for rule of law to show the judges among the people how to execute just judgments that did not take more from the one judged than was just nor fail to recompense the one injured adequately.

It would be wrong to recompense one who lost 1 eye the value of 2 eyes. According to the word of God, the price of an eye lost is one eye not more, not less.

In verse 26 of this same chapter, we see that if a master smites the eye of a servant and the servant lose the eye, the master must let him go. Why? Because you cannot take from him more than you have taken, and eye not due you!

(Now there brothers and sisters is a picture of Jesus’ Salvation. Paul said with the flesh we serve the law of sin. And we know that the wage of sin is death, but I am crucified with Christ Galatians 2:20 and so the life that sin takes is not due him, and sin must let us go! What is sown in corruption is raised in incorruption. Whom the SON sets free is free indeed! We pass from life to life.)

These scriptures were never intended to mean that if I hit you; you are justified to hit me back. Justice is not in the hands of individuals to as they please. Justice belongs to the judges and the magistrates. God is here establishing judgments that men can carry out justice justly.

Now the next instance of this phrase is in Leviticus:

quote:
Leviticus 24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.
If we look at this verse in context we can go up to verse 10 and see that something has happened in the camp of the Hebrews and the parties involved have been brought to Moses for to make judgment…

quote:
10 ¶ And the son of an Israelitish woman, whose father was an Egyptian, went out among the children of Israel: and this son of the Israelitish woman and a man of Israel strove together in the camp;
11 And the Israelitish woman’s son blasphemed the name of the LORD, and cursed. And they brought him unto Moses: (and his mother’s name was Shelomith, the daughter of Dibri, of the tribe of Dan:)
12 And they put him in ward, that the mind of the LORD might be shewed them.

Then God tells Moses exactly what to do:

quote:

14 Bring forth him that hath cursed without the camp; and let all that heard him lay their hands upon his head, and let all the congregation stone him.

Then God explains what HE wants the people to understand and about the judgment God has set forth:

quote:
Whosoever curseth his God shall bear his sin.
16 And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the LORD, shall be put to death.
17 And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
18 And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.
19 And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him;
20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.
21 And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.
22 Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God.

God teaches that the sin of cursing God or Blaspheming God is a sin worthy of death. It does not matter if it is one of you or a stranger. There is no difference in how judgment is executed for the heathen than for the people of God. Sin is sin. The same penalty applies to the stranger or the hebrew. If you take something of another – the proper thing is to replace it; if you take something you can not replace – a life – you forfeit your life. This is Just. This particular passage is one that the Pharisee were known for violating. They did not have one manner of law for both the Gentile and the Jew at the time of Christ. The oral tradition was full of unjust actions for those who were not Jews. What we need to see here also is that GOD has one manner of law for the heathen or the stranger and for the people. This is why Paul said: Romans 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

Now, moving on… the next place that this term is used in scripture is in Deuteronomy: “And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot”. Deuteronomy 19:21

Again if we look at this in context we see that this is given to the people to understand the importance of just judgment:

quote:
15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
16 If a false witness rise up against any man to testify against him that which is wrong;
17 Then both the men, between whom the controversy is, shall stand before the LORD, before the priests and the judges, which shall be in those days;
18 And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.
20 And those which remain shall hear, and fear, and shall henceforth commit no more any such evil among you.
21 And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

This is given for judges of the people and magistrates to understand just-ness in their judgments; it was never given that I would have liberty to take judgment upon myself over you.

Now lets go to the Sermon on the Mount:

Matthew 5: 38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Note first here what Jesus does not do. Jesus does not say that the law is wrong; Jesus does not say that the law is antiquated or out dated; Jesus does not speak against the law.

Jesus said you have heard the law, but, nevertheless, even so, I say to you that you not resist the evil one…. When someone does evil to you and smites you turn the other check.

Why does Jesus say this? Jesus says this because you are to be a doer of the law not a judge of the law; an eye for an eye applies to the just judgments of magistrates; judgment belongs to God and to whom ever God sets in place to administer the judging of civil matters among his people. We are not to take the law into our own hands.

The OT judgments of God that spoke of an eye for an eye were judgments of God given to a nation to teach them that would judge and them that would be judged what just judgment looked like. Jesus at the Sermon on the Mount was speaking to individuals about governing their own individual lives in a way that was pleasing to God. One does not abolish or eliminate the other. They complete the whole picture. They are pictures of the same scene one painted on a national governmental view, and one zoomed in close to the individual living in that nation and he did this in preparation for the day that they would be judged every man for his own works done in the flesh at the judgment seat of Christ.

James reiterates this:

James 4:11 Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. 12 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

One last thing: Cursing God or Blaspheming HIM is still a sin worthy of death. But Thanks be to Christ, in this dispensation of grace, God is not judging individuals; that judgement will come at the great white throne.

We should also know that civil governments still do have the authority to judge crimes against others in this life and to execute judgment including death, and in some lands, that death is still carried out by stoning. Under Sharia law in countries like Nigeria, people are still sentenenced to death by stoning.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement