Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » "DOES JOB FEAR GOD FOR NO REASON?"

Author Topic: "DOES JOB FEAR GOD FOR NO REASON?"
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:

Whose character was Lucifer impugning? God's character or Job's character?

Satan has no conscience and no honour. He will persecute, imprison, and kill, or, on the other hand, he will quote Scripture and utter the most irreproachable commendation of the gospel and its messengers, but he has but one end - to deceive, to corrupt, to keep the Son of God, if possible, from His rightful throne (in the mind and desire of men who walk under the sun).
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, to answer my own question, why was Lucifer-Satan's question evil? "Does Job fear God for no reason?" because God had just said to Lucifer presumably in front of all the angels, "Have you considered my servant Job, who fears God and {hence is smart enough} to avoid evil."

It was an evil question because God had just told Lucifer that Job feared God and therefore Job avoided evil.

It is actually a fascinating question, though, isn't it? I think that Only the LORD YHWH the Creator of heaven and earth could have caused Lucifer to frame a question like that, "Does Job fear God for no reason?" after God had said to Lucifer, "Job fears God and therefore Job avoids evil".

Did Lucifer have a point?

Whose character was Lucifer impugning? God's character or Job's character?

may the LORD YHWY of Israel bless all who participate on this CBBS. BORN AGAIN in the USA by the [Cross] of Jeshua-Jesus

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

sister helpforhomeschoolers writes
quote:
"Does Job fear God for no reason?" This was the wicked question of Satan concerning that upright man of old
I was wondering why you thought the question, as framed, was wicked?
quote:
{snip} but there are many in the present day concerning whom it might be asked with justice, for they love God after a fashion because He prospers them; but if things went ill with them, they would give up all their boasted faith in God.
who, may I ask, are these people whom you know so well that you can say "there are many in the present time"? Give up their names or identity, that we may know them. (talk about having a flashback to Lot at the door of his house!) But, helpforhomeschoolers, you know quite a bit about them huh? Who are these "they only love God after a fashion and would be quick to abandon Him if God did not prosper them right now" and these who "would give up all their boasted faith in God", boasted no less, they are well-known?

The God of Irael bless us all on this CBBS, I am BORN AGAIN in the USA by the [Cross]

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

epouraniois writes
quote:
I am so goofy, what can I say.
Like Einstein, you are.
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO BIG DEAL. Not a problem.

I have been called many names.

God Bless and I am glad you are back!

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Pleasemaranatha

Please forgive me, as I had a mind-slip, and accidentally addressed another, when the intention was to respond to your tenderness towards me. I am so goofy, what can I say.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA: I agree believe that we have peace and joy in spite of our circumstances. But I think that Allistar Begg's statement above is scripturally correct:

2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

quote:
Allistar Begg: As for the true Christian, he expects to have his reward in the next life and to endure hardness in this.
Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

John 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

Colossians 3:24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

helpforhomeschoolers writes
quote:
As for the true Christian, he expects to have his reward in the next life and to endure hardness in this. {bold by BORN AGAIN}
Regarding the bolded part, I don't agree that Christians should expect "hardness in this" life.

To the contrary, the "storm comes and afflicts the house", but with "God on my side", the consequences of the storm will be much better than had God not been on my side.

Moreover, my God turns many things to sweetness, causing me to thank Him, and thank Him again.

Job "feared God", but the result was not "for goods" or "not for goods", but Job's fear of God caused Job to "avoid evil", and that should be the natural result of fearing God.

God bless, BORN AGAIN in the USA

Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These scriptures are connected to the lesson. IMO that is. [Smile]

King James
Passage Psalm 119:71-72

71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.

72 The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver

New Living Translation

Passage Psalm 119:71-72:
The suffering you sent was good for me,
for it taught me to pay attention to your principles.

72 Your law is more valuable to me
than millions in gold and silver!

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Helpforhomeschoolers,

The post mad me think of the time when I was a very small child and stubborn. My parents and other adults were all sitting around when I went to an electrical outlet and started sticking an object into the hole. Some yelled, and screamed for me to stop. But, I didn't believe that it would harm me, so I wanted to continue as soon as their backs were turned.

My mom saw this and whispered, "Let her learn." I was her ninth child. She knew children. So I did it and got thrown across the room by the jolt of electricity. My fingers were burned and I felt awful for a few hours. But, I learned from that and will always remember that incident.

I didn't have fear and thought the adults were just stopping me from something fun.

I think maybe, the Lord let's us suffer some afflictions so we can learn from them.

God Bless

--------------------

Joyce

epouraniois
unregistered

Hi wonderful HFHS,

I am doing fine, just a login problem, which was a corrupt DNS cache on a new machine.

imo = in my opinion, (lol)

Agape dear one

Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Epouraniois how are you? Are you doing alright? Have you been ill? I hope not.What does imo mean?

God Bless,

--------------------

Joyce

epouraniois
unregistered

Job 1. 9 FEAR

FEAR
H3372
ירא
yârê'
yaw-ray'
A primitive root; to fear; morally to revere; causatively to frighten: - affright, be (make) afraid, dread (-ful), (put in) fear (-ful, -fully, -ing). (be had in) reverence (-end), X see, terrible (act, -ness, thing).

Our from this great reverence, the Jehovah 'made a hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side'...

Job is a super wonderful account, and imo, Genesis would be better understood if Job (the oldest book) were studied first, giving great insight to that fallen, introduced in his beguiling mode - the serpent.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"DOES JOB FEAR GOD FOR NO REASON?"
Job 1:9

This was the wicked question of Satan concerning that upright man of old, but there are many in the present day concerning whom it might be asked with justice, for they love God after a fashion because He prospers them; but if things went ill with them, they would give up all their boasted faith in God. If they can clearly see that since the time of their supposed conversion the world has gone prosperously with them, then they will love God in their poor, carnal way; but if they endure adversity, they rebel against the Lord. Their love is the love of the table, not of the host; a love of the cupboard, not of the master of the house. As for the true Christian, he expects to have his reward in the next life and to endure hardness in this. The promise of the old covenant is adversity. Remember Christ's words--"Every branch of mine that does not bear fruit"--what?--"he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit."1 If you bring forth fruit, you will have to endure affliction. "Alas," you say, "that is a terrible prospect." But this affliction works out such precious results, for the Christian who is the subject of it must learn to rejoice in tribulations because as his tribulations abound, so his consolations abound by Christ Jesus. Rest assured, if you are a child of God, you will be no stranger to the rod. Sooner or later every bar of gold must pass through the fire. Fear not, but rather rejoice that such fruitful times are in store for you, for in them you will be weaned from earth and made meet for heaven; you will be delivered from clinging to the present and made to long for those eternal things that are so soon to be revealed to you. When you feel that as regards the present you do serve God for nothing, you will then rejoice in the infinite reward of the future.
1 John 15:2

Devotional material is taken from “Morning and Evening,” written by C.H. Spurgeon, revised and updated by Alistair Begg. Copyright (c)
http://www.truthforlife.org/growth.php?version=evening&date=01-22

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement