Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » their thoughts accusing or else excusing each other

Author Topic: their thoughts accusing or else excusing each other
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adv. Christian [thumbsup2] [thumbsup2]
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adv.Christian
Advanced Member
Member # 3453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adv.Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To start with I would say 1st we need to back up to verse Romans2:14
(14- For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves.)
This statement pertains to the Gentile people (people of the uncircumcised) and the fact that there was a apparent natural presence of moral rules (which apparently corresponded with many of the Jewish Laws) with in these people. The very presence of this moral code caused certain behaviors to be maintained or discontinued simply because the gentiles felt the action was right or wrong. It is on the same line as in Deut. 12:8
(8-Ye shall not do after all the things that we do here this day, every man whatsoever is right in his own eyes.)
The gentiles were not bound to the law as were the Jewish people, however they did have the controlling guide of their conscience.
That brings us to the next verse Romans 2:15
(15-Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another.)
The same laws (not the Jewish laws but those of conscience) became the standard of their judgment. Just as with the case of clean and unclean foods. While it was a sin for the Jewish people to eat of unclean food while they lived under the law it was not sinful for the gentiles due to the fact that since the law did not apply to them then there was no reason for them to refrain from eating unclean foods. The very fact that there was no rule preventing them from eating the unclean food became their excuse for eating it because without the law telling them not to they were free from that requirement. However if the gentiles had felt it wrong to eat the unclean food then the same conscience became their accuser causing the to feel guilt and failure for not having followed their own rules.
I am at work right now and had to write quick, I pray it makes sense and I will try to get back in here later. Until then as always; my love to all and May God Bless.

--------------------
A person talking can not be listening; A person not listening can not be learning.

Posts: 299 | From: Raleigh/North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is Romans written to? Chapter one makes that perfectly clear.

moving forward, what was taking place back then? Well, it would be awefully hard to find anything to preach out of the OT which didn't have something to do with the kingdom, the very same kingdom that all of the Acts period letters spoke to, that the Jews needed to repent and return to the truth so that God would send Jesus Christ to them. Period. That is the only teaching during Acts.

There is no teaching of any church. They met, and when they met in their meetings,the translators called this meeting church, but it took place in the synagogues.

But they didn't look for the church. The church had not yet been revealed. They looked for the kingdom.

Rom 2:8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

What truth? Kingdom truth, of course, it was near, almost all Israel had heard at this point, and by ch10 all Israel will have heard, wherein Paul reveals the mystery of Israel's blindness which would be pronounced upon them at the end of Acts.

Rom 2:9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
Rom 2:10 But glory, honor, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile

And what is this evil? Well, it is given in ch12 of Mat, that if they denied the Holy Spirit to use them to reach the Jews. The purpose of the Acts was that the Jews hear, therefore they were sent apostles.

Beginning at the start of the ():

Rom 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Rom 2:15 Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

So Paul is speaking to them about the law. saying that some accuse and some excuse, but the fact is, that if the gentiles, who also had pagan days they held worship on, just as the Jews had their holy days, that no matter, it is all over and in the past, that they need to move on to the truth that was at that time 'now'. That if they remained or would draw back to the previous dispensation, to that which they had practiced before Jesus Christ came, then they were practicing evil.

And that they did and were blinded for it, because they were supposed to be that usable channel to all the nations to bring the light of the gospel to the world.

Well, this they most certainly did not do, and are not doing, because they were blind.

And Christianity is likewise blind. Not realising the new body that was created, not on earth, but in Spirit in Christ Jesus, which is only taught in the prison ministry which Paul taught for those two years, no man forbidding him,writing those prison episltes.

So what does it mean to us now. It means that it is now a history lesson.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romans 2:15
Who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the meanwhile accusing or else excusing one another.

Regarding the bolded part, what does it mean and how and when are we supposed to use that phrase, "their thoughts meanwhile accusing or excusing each other"?

I have always interpreted that phrase to mean that as long as my thoughts are still accusing other people, like on the freeway or wherever, then I'm still somewhat screwed up inside.

But if the day were to come that "my thoughts are ONLY excusing others", that then I am finally in good shape?

What do you think that phrase means for us Christians?

God bless, BORN AGAIN [Cross]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement