Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Baptism of the Spirit

Author Topic: Baptism of the Spirit
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
epouraniois wrote
quote:
Being that it is the Holy Spirit who wrote these words of Scripture, not speaking of Himself, but speaking only to magnify the Christ, I highly question any theology which places the Holy Spirit in front of the Christs' headship. When we are filled by the Holy Spirit, we speak of Christ. That seems to be the measure by which the words of the Holy Spirit are measured.
I agree with that statement. Jesus said,

John 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me.

John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

God bless, BORN AGAIN [Cross]
"God is in control" (Twila Paris Christian CD)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the work of the Holy Spirit is to convince the sinner that he needs saving and then turns that need into an understanding to search and live for Christ, that this even extends to the knowledge of resurrection power, putting on the new man in the heart of the believer.

Also, since the mission of the Holy Spirit IS to glorify AND magnify Christ by not speaking of Himself, but speaking OF Christ, - the Biblical example through and through - and it's the same Holy Spirit at work in the believer, the believer will likewise speak of Christ, this is the quickening of Eph2, &c., where Christ uses the believer to speak His Words, we become filled that we "May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us" - Eph.3.

When HS power manifest in us, we shall be found speaking the written words of truth:
Eph 4:15
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
Eph 4:16
From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

The Holy Spirit working in us is that filling power by which the believer is given the Lord's understanding, speaking of the Lord Christ Jesus.

God will fill the believer to his full by the HS, for members of the one body are His workmanship, and Christ is the head of the body, the church.

trafield
Advanced Member
Member # 5358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trafield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Being that it is the Holy Spirit who wrote these words of Scripture, not speaking of Himself, but speaking only to magnify the Christ, I highly question any theology which places the Holy Spirit in front of the Christs' headship.
I am not sure I agree with that statement...I may be misunderstanding you,
Are you suggesting that the Holy Spirit is inferior to Christ? For I believe that in the Trinity, The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are all equal parts of the One true God.

Posts: 225 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Yes, I know. It is very difficult to do studies on the Holy Spirit, being that He does not speak of Himself. That really leaves us with the battle of grammar, to see how the words are actually used, setting aside what man may teach.

Being that it is the Holy Spirit who wrote these words of Scripture, not speaking of Himself, but speaking only to magnify the Christ, I highly question any theology which places the Holy Spirit in front of the Christs' headship. When we are filled by the Holy Spirit, we speak of Christ. That seems to be the measure by which the words of the Holy Spirit are measured.

Examples of the Spirit at work:

1Co 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain...yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Eph 3:7
Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

Col 1:29
Whereunto I also labor, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

-------------------------------------------------

‘Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you: so that ye come behind in no gift ... who shall also confirm you unto the end’(1 Cor 1:6-8)

This ‘confirmation’ is particularly associated with ‘gifts’, ‘signs and wonders’ (Heb. 2:3,4) and the same word that is used in 1 Corinthians 1:6 and 8, namely, bebaioo, is used in 2 Corinthians 1:21 where it is translated ‘stablisheth’:

‘Now He which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts’ (2 Cor. 1:21,22).

In Ephesians 1:13,14 we have ‘the seal’ and ‘the earnest’ but the external confirmation and anointing is omitted. This is a manifest difference between the kingdom preaching for Israel of the Acts, and the one body teaching of the church mystery which followed after.

trafield
Advanced Member
Member # 5358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trafield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with this, though the article was much too filled of the words to get the point across. [Wink]
Posts: 225 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Baptism of the Spirit

Joh 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he [emphatic] shall testify of me

In the Greek, the use of personal pronouns are not used, not used unless there is a definitive reason to make the subject emphatic, to give emphasis. By calling the HS 'he', the Greek is breaking the rules somewhat, and making the HS emphatic, making the personal work of the Holy Spirit manifest.

Joh 16:14
He [emphatic] shall glorify me

The Comforter is called the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit speaks of Christ. He glorifies Christ. He testifies of Christ. That is what the HS makes known. The Christ. The Holy Spirit's purpose is to make known the Lord Christ Jesus.

Underlying, is the thought of identification, and if we have missed this, we have missed the chief reason for it, either physically or spiritually of what it represents. Let us open the word at Ephesians 5 18-19.

Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Eph 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Be filled with the Spirit. We are going to have to look at some Greek idiom. Otherwise, we can’t fully understand what Paul is saying, because the Greek language is different from our English. In English we say, ‘be filled with’. Greek has not the word ‘with’. The Greek says to be filled ‘of’ something. That is the Greek idiom. Now, this verb, ‘to fill’, normally takes three cases after it. Greek is a very expressive, very precise language. It’s not indefinite, and therefore it pinpoints what is said, creating very little argument about what is said.

This word takes the accusative of the thing filled {the vessel, or whatever it is}; It takes the genitive of the matter of which the thing is filled; And it takes the dative of the thing that is used to fill it, the agent. We have three different cases, representing the vessel, the filler, and what the vessel is filled with. Sometimes the Greek adds the preposition “en”, to emphasize the agent – ‘filled by’. In English, we say filled ‘with’. The Greek says filled ‘of’. let’s look at a couple of examples of this, it occurs many times.

Act 13:50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and honorable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts.
Act 13:51 But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium.
Act 13:52 And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost.

The Greek says they were filled of joy, and of Holy Spirit. The word “the” is not present in the manuscripts. It doesn’t say the Holy Spirit, it says they were filled of Holy Spirit. The difficulty lies in determining if the subject is ‘the’ Holy Spirit, which is God, or whether it refers to ‘holy spirit’, the gift that God gives.

Sometimes it does mean both, but sometimes we have to decide, as it does mean one or the other. When it doesn’t give the definite article, the context must be weighed over carefully and decided, is it, the Holy Spirit or is it what He gives. But here it is, filled of joy, and filled of Holy Spirit. One more.

Rom 15:13 Now the God of hope {the filler}fill you {accusative-you’re the person that’s filled} with {of-the dative case} all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

Romans 1:29, there is one exception to this pattern, elsewhere it is consistent all the way thru. It says “filled with all unrighteousness”, and in this case, instead of being in the genitive case, it’s in the dative case. The normal expression is to be filled by something, and not with something. Back to our verse in Eph 5, “be filled”. This is the present passive plural. I feel it is important to look at some of these points, because so many have gone astray by not realizing exactly what is being said. It means, keep on being filled, continually being filled. How can I be continually filled? Well, the apostle Paul has made it perfectly clear in the epistle to the Romans, that our responsibility is to be ‘yielding’ ourselves to Him. Where we read ‘present your bodies’, the Greek says, ‘yield’

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Where we read ‘present your bodies’, the Greek says, ‘yield’. We are supposed to be continually yielding ourselves. Keep on doing this. Easier said than done. Can I say I am constantly handing myself over to the Lord, and saying, Lord, use me, I am here, use me just as thou wilt, and when, and where? Hand yourself over, yield yourself. If we continually do this, we can be filled by Him, by the Holy Spirit, not so much with Him. Note what the context says, it doesn’t say we have to be filled until until there is some emotion sweeping over us, filled until we manifest some physical miracle, signs, or wonders.

The context is speaking about singing a melody in your heart, it has something to do with being filled by the Spirit. Many say that you are not filled with the Holy Spirit until you start to to do something specific, so naturally, you want to be filled with God. This is an appeal to one of the five senses. But this isn’t what the NT says. I just want to be honest in God’s word, first of all to myself, and second I want to convey to you what the Bible says about this very, very important point.

The subject of being filled by the Holy Spirit has to do with worship and praise. Be continually filled, be continually yielding yourself. This isn’t something that happens once and then it happens again. In the Christian’s life we are to be ever and continually yielding ourselves to the Lord, and not let the sea of confusion overwhelm us thru our flesh.

The church body is called to be a full grown man, called out from the shadows and types, called out of everything that came before, called out of spiritual babihood, to be manifest in unity with Christ as a full grown man when He manifest.

What does the person have, who’s life finds tragedy, but their heart says, I thank thee Lord for the Salvation you bring? I’ll tell you, they have the continual filling by the Holy Spirit, that’s what they have.

Holy Spirit, with out the word “the” in front of it 50 times in the NT, and in Acts it occurs 19 times. It says Acts of the Apostles, but of course it is not the acts of the apostles, it is the acts of the Holy Spirit. Well, this is what the Lord Christ Jesus promised, He said, if I go away I will send unto you another Comforter, and He made it quite clear what He would do when He came. So, when you find the signs following during the Acts, it is the very thing that was foretold to happen; the Comforter filled the apostles by the Holy Spirit before they went to work, and we find the HS working in men right up until final rejection of the kingdom at the end of Acts.

We have a very strong expression to look at. When it says the Holy Spirit the Holy, we know we are looking at the author Himself:

Act 1:16 Men and brethren, this Scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas…

We are looking at Scripture here. Men spake as they were borne along, says Peter, and here we have the emphatic expression. This Scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Spirit the Holy One spake by David. It was God the HS who inspired David to write this, as He does all the human channels who have contributed to His word. This is a wonderful example of what the Holy Spirit says when He is using a person to speak His Word. The Holy Spirit does not speak unless He is speaking of Christ. The word has declared it.

When the HS speaks, He speaks of Christ. He speaks the word of prophecy. He makes known the plan of the ages. When the HS fills, the result is 'Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord'.

AS C.Welch wrote:
"It is impossible to respond to the exhortation ‘let us go on unto perfection’ if we remain babes and take only the milk of the Word, and many a Christian who objects to the advanced revelations of the Mystery, is but making it manifest that he still needs ‘the first principles of the oracles of God’, and cannot ‘leave the word of the beginning of Christ’ (Heb. 6:1 margin) ... and looks with suspicion upon any attempt to take the Lord’s words of John 16:12 to heart, and to seek those other things of which He has now spoken since His Ascension and session at the right hand of God.

The goal before the Church of the Ephesians is that of the ‘perfect man’ as opposed to the spiritual condition of babes, who are easily deceived and tossed about with every wind of doctrine. Dispensational Truth settles and establishes rather than unsettles the believer and he is enabled thereby to comprehend with all saints, its breadth, length, height and depth, and be filled up to all the fulness of God".

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement