Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Should We Feed The Poor?

Author Topic: Should We Feed The Poor?
yeshuaslavejeff
Advanced Member
Member # 4506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yeshuaslavejeff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the Judge doesn't separate the goats from the
sheep because they failed to 'preach', but because
they failed to feed the poor, they failed to take
in the stranger who needed a place to sleep sheltered from the outside.
preaching has a purposeful important place, but
without sacrificial sacrificial sacrificial love,
the goats get separated from the sheep. Matthew 25
(note the goats get tossed in the lake of fire)
(for the simple; the goats are the hypocrites,
those who act right before others but don't care
about what G_d says, only about what people think
of them)

this seems harsh or hard or difficult. so?
trusting Yhwh, don't doubt His Word, rather doubt
man's traditions and excuses that tell you not to
take in strangers. Please G_d or man ? G_d gives
Righteousness, Peace and Joy to those who obey Him
and Eternal Life. what does man offer?

should we feed the poor?

just do what your dad does, people will know then
who your father is - 2 choices: G_d or the devil.

--------------------
1Peter4:1,2 Yeshua suffered physical suffering:disciples have same mind/ willingness to share shame/physical suffering with Yeshua/His people.
Biblio:"willtherealhereticsplease standup?"byBercot(churchTruth)

Posts: 75 | From: tulsa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 12:8
For the poor you always have with you; but me you have not always.

John 13:29
For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said to him, Buy those things that we need for the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.

They were apparently quite accustomed to "giving something to the poor" and I believe in it too.

God Elohim bless, BORN AGAIN [Cross]
"God is in control" (Twila Paris)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to add another twist to this if I may. Well, I guess you don't have a choice really. [Big Grin] Just kidding.

Anyway, if you follow Jesus' ministry and how He spoke of the poor, you will see that the poor hold a special place in His heart. He pointed out the poor widow's offering to the crowd but said nothing about all of the riches that were being given by others. Jesus says the last will be first and the first will be last.

Next, I will look at the passage where Jesus cleansed the temple. There were many tables in the temple, but the only one that was mentioned was the table with the doves that he tipped over and released. Why did He mention the doves and not the other animals? The doves were a poor man's offering. The people that couldn't afford to sacrifice larger animals would sacrifice the doves. I believe that Jesus mentioned them specifically because the poor were being kept from sacrificing the most since the often couldn't afford to pay the higher prices that they were charging at the temple.

So in short, Jesus paid special attention to the poor, so shouldn't we be following His example and doing the same?

I remember once when there was a man walking on the street and the Lord told me to bring him to Friendly's for lunch, he was across the street from Friendly's. I didn't do it because I argued with God that I was a single mom and didn't have much money either. Later, I realized that I disobeyed God, robbed this man of a blessing from God, and probably even robbed myself of a blessing that God may have given to me for obeying Him. Now, I am much more sensitive to others and to God's voice.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by epouraniois:
Miguel

I seem to be missing your point. Are you saying that because the risen Christ and Lord gave the disiples there apostolic mission to go out to the world and teach the gospel to the Jews in Mark 16, that this means we aren't to feed the poor?

Psa 10:6
He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.
Psa 10:7
His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.
Psa 10:8
He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places doth he murder the innocent: his eyes are privily set against the poor.

Jer 5:28
They are waxen fat, they shine: yea, they overpass the deeds of the wicked: they judge not the cause, the cause of the fatherless, yet they prosper; and the right of the needy do they not judge.
Jer 5:29
Shall I not visit for these things? saith the LORD: shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?

Psa 82:2
How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
Psa 82:3
Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
Psa 82:4
Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
Psa 82:5
They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

Luk 21:2
And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.
Luk 21:3
And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all

Deu 15:11
For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.

Remember, fellow-believer, fruit forms on ripened wood. It may be of interest to note that the golden 'snuffers' used in the temple (1 Kings 7:50) are 'pruners', being a similar word to that translated 'pruning hooks' (see Isa. 2:4; 18:5).

Not at all on the contrary, but with care and wisdom and with the grace He have show unto us for our main command is to go out unto the world and preach the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ which is more important than the latter.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miguel

I seem to be missing your point. Are you saying that because the risen Christ and Lord gave the disiples there apostolic mission to go out to the world and teach the gospel to the Jews in Mark 16, that this means we aren't to feed the poor?

Psa 10:6
He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.
Psa 10:7
His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.
Psa 10:8
He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places doth he murder the innocent: his eyes are privily set against the poor.

Jer 5:28
They are waxen fat, they shine: yea, they overpass the deeds of the wicked: they judge not the cause, the cause of the fatherless, yet they prosper; and the right of the needy do they not judge.
Jer 5:29
Shall I not visit for these things? saith the LORD: shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?

Psa 82:2
How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
Psa 82:3
Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
Psa 82:4
Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
Psa 82:5
They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

Luk 21:2
And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.
Luk 21:3
And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all

Deu 15:11
For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.

Remember, fellow-believer, fruit forms on ripened wood. It may be of interest to note that the golden 'snuffers' used in the temple (1 Kings 7:50) are 'pruners', being a similar word to that translated 'pruning hooks' (see Isa. 2:4; 18:5).

Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does the Word of God tells us on the word “poor” lets us look at it and pray that the Holy Spirit lead us unto the truth about this matter.

Are we commanded to open our hearts and hands to the poor? What is the important task that we have from the Lord Jesus Christ our Savior?; “Go ye unto the whole world and preach the Gospel” or “ Go ye unto the world and fee the poor”..?

There are two needs in this world;
1. Spiritually
2. Carnally

(Gen 41:19) And, behold, seven other cows came up after them, poor and very ill favored and thin, such as I never saw in all the land of Egypt for badness:

(Exo 22:25) If you lend money to any of my people who is poor among you, you shall not be to him as a lender, neither shall you charge him interest.

(Exo 23:3) Neither shall you be partial to a poor man in his cause.

(Exo 23:6) You shall not pervert the justice of your poor in his dispute.

(Exo 23:11) But the seventh year you shall let it rest and lie still; that the poor of your people may eat: and what they leave the beasts of the field shall eat. In like manner you shall deal with your vineyard, and with your oliveyard.

(Exo 30:15) The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less than half a shekel, when they give an offering unto the LORD, to make an atonement for your souls.

(Lev 14:21) And if he be poor, and cannot get so much; then he shall take one lamb for a trespass offering to be waved, to make an atonement for him, and one tenth of an ephah of fine flour mixed with oil for a grain offering, and a log of oil;

(Lev 19:10) And you shall not glean your vineyard, neither shall you gather every grape of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the LORD your God.

(Lev 19:15) You shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: you shall not be partial to the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor.

(Lev 23:22) And when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not completely reap the corners of your field when you reap, neither shall you gather any gleaning of your harvest: you shall leave them unto the poor, and to the stranger: I am the LORD your God.

(Lev 25:25) If your brother becomes poor, and has sold away some of his possession, and if any of his kin come to redeem it, then shall he redeem that which his brother sold.

(Lev 25:35) And if your brother becomes poor, and falls into poverty among you; then you shall help him: yea, though he be a stranger, or a sojourner; that he may live with you.

(Lev 25:39) And if your brother that dwells by you becomes poor, and is sold unto you; you shall not compel him to serve as a slave:

(Lev 25:47) And if a sojourner or stranger becomes rich near you, and your brother that dwells near him becomes poor, and sells himself unto the stranger or sojourner near you, or to a member of the stranger's family:

(Lev 27:8) But if he is too poor to pay your valuation, then he shall present himself before the priest, and the priest shall value him; according to his ability that vowed shall the priest value him.

(Num 13:20) And what the land is, whether it is rich or poor, whether there be wood in it, or not. And be of good courage, and bring some of the fruit of the land. Now the time was the time of the first ripe grapes.

(Deu 15:4) Except when there shall be no poor among you; for the LORD shall greatly bless you in the land which the LORD your God gives you for an inheritance to possess it:

(Deu 15:7) If there be among you a poor man of one of your brethren within any of your gates in your land which the LORD your God gives you, you shall not harden your heart, nor shut your hand from your poor brother:

(Deu 15:9) Beware that there be not a thought in your wicked heart, saying, The seventh year, the year of release, is at hand; and your eye be evil against your poor brother, and you give him nothing; and he cries unto the LORD against you, and it be sin in you.

(Deu 15:11) For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command you, saying, you shall open your hand wide unto your brother, to your poor, and to your needy, in your land.

(Deu 24:12) And if the man be poor, you shall not sleep with his pledge:

(Deu 24:14) You shall not oppress a hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be of your brethren, or of your strangers that are in your land within your gates:

(Deu 24:15) Each day you shall give him his hire, neither shall the sun go down upon it; for he is poor, and sets his heart upon it: lest he cry against you unto the LORD, and it be sin unto you.

(Jdg 6:15) And he said unto him, Oh my Lord, wherewith shall I save Israel? behold, my family is poor in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house.

(Rth 3:10) And he said, Blessed be you of the LORD, my daughter: for you have showed more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, in that you followed not young men, whether poor or rich.

(1Sa 2:7) The LORD makes poor, and makes rich: he brings low, and lifts up.

(1Sa 2:8) He raises up the poor out of the dust, and lifts up the beggar from the rubbish, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and he has set the world upon them.

(1Sa 18:23) And Saul's servants spoke those words in the ears of David. And David said, Does it seem to you a light thing to be a king's son-in-law, seeing that I am a poor man, and lightly esteemed?

(2Sa 12:1) And the LORD sent Nathan unto David. And he came unto him, and said unto him, There were two men in one city; the one rich, and the other poor.

(2Sa 12:3) But the poor man had nothing, except one little ewe lamb, which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own food, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter.

(2Sa 12:4) And there came a traveler unto the rich man, and he refused to take of his own flock and of his own herd, to prepare for the wayfaring man that was come unto him; but took the poor man’s lamb, and prepared it for the man that was come to him.

(2Ki 25:12) But the captain of the guard left some of the poor of the land to be vinedressers and farmers.

(Job 5:15) But he saves the poor from the sword, from their mouth, and from the hand of the mighty.

(Job 5:16) So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth.

(Job 20:10) His children shall seek to please the poor, and his hands shall restore their goods.

(Job 20:19) Because he has oppressed and has forsaken the poor; because he has violently taken away a house which he built not;

(Job 24:4) They drive the needy off the road: the poor of the earth hide themselves together.

(Job 24:9) They pluck the fatherless from the breast, and take a pledge from the poor.

(Job 24:14) The murderer rising with the light kills the poor and needy, and in the night is as a thief.

(Job 29:12) Because I delivered the poor that cried, and the fatherless, and him that had none to help him.

(Job 29:16) I was a father to the poor: and the cause which I knew not I searched out.

(Job 30:25) Did I not weep for him that was in trouble? was not my soul grieved for the poor?

(Job 31:16) If I have withheld the poor from their desire, or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail;

(Job 31:19) If I have seen any perish for want of clothing, or any poor without covering;

(Job 34:19) How much less to him that regards not the persons of princes, nor regards the rich more than the poor? for they all are the work of his hands.

(Job 34:28) So that they cause the cry of the poor to come unto him, and he hears the cry of the afflicted.

(Job 36:6) He preserves not the life of the wicked: but gives justice to the poor.

(Job 36:15) He delivers the poor in his affliction, and opens their ears in oppression.

(Psa 9:18) For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish forever.

(Psa 10:2) The wicked in his pride does persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.

(Psa 10:8) He sits in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places does he murder the innocent: his eyes are secretly set against the poor.

(Psa 10:9) He lies in wait secretly as a lion in his den: he lies in wait to catch the poor: he does catch the poor, when he draws him into his net.

(Psa 10:10) He crouches, and lies low, that the poor may fall by his strength.

(Psa 10:14) You have seen it: for you behold mischief and spite, to repay it with your hand: the poor commits himself unto you; you are the helper of the fatherless.

(Psa 12:5) For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, says the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that sneers at him.

(Psa 14:6) You have shamed the counsel of the poor, but the LORD is his refuge.

(Psa 34:6) This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.

(Psa 35:10) All my bones shall say, LORD, who is like unto you, who delivers the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that plunders him?

(Psa 37:14) The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be of upright behavior.

(Psa 40:17) But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinks upon me: you are my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.

(Psa 41:1) [To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.] Blessed is he that considers the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.

(Psa 49:2) Both low and high, rich and poor, together.

(Psa 68:10) Your congregation has dwelt therein: you, O God, have provided of your goodness for the poor.

(Psa 69:29) But I am poor and sorrowful: let your salvation, O God, set me up on high.

(Psa 69:33) For the LORD hears the poor, and despises not his prisoners.

(Psa 70:5) But I am poor and needy: make haste unto me, O God: you are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, make no tarrying.

(Psa 72:2) He shall judge your people with righteousness, and your poor with justice.

(Psa 72:4) He shall judge the poor of the people, he shall save the children of the needy, and shall break in pieces the oppressor.

(Psa 72:12) For he shall deliver the needy when he cries; the poor also, and him that has no helper.

(Psa 72:13) He shall spare the poor and needy, and shall save the souls of the needy.

(Psa 74:19) O deliver not the soul of your turtledove unto the multitude of the wicked: forget not the congregation of your poor forever.

(Psa 74:21) O let not the oppressed return ashamed: let the poor and needy praise your name.

(Psa 82:3) Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

(Psa 82:4) Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

(Psa 86:1) [A Prayer of David.] Bow down your ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy.

(Psa 107:41) Yet sets he the poor on high from affliction, and makes their families like a flock.

(Psa 109:16) Because he remembered not to show mercy, but persecuted the poor and needy man, that he might even slay the broken in heart.

(Psa 109:22) For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.

(Psa 109:31) For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him from those that condemn his soul.

(Psa 112:9) He has dispersed, he has given to the poor; his righteousness endures forever; his strength shall be exalted with honor.

(Psa 113:7) He raises up the poor out of the dust, and lifts the needy out of the ash heap;

(Psa 132:15) I will abundantly bless her provision: I will satisfy her poor with bread.

(Psa 140:12) I know that the LORD will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and the right of the poor.

(Pro 10:4) He becomes poor who has a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent makes rich.

(Pro 10:15) The rich man's wealth is his strong city: the ruin of the poor is their poverty.

(Pro 13:7) There is one that makes himself rich, yet has nothing: there is one that makes himself poor, yet has great riches.

(Pro 13:8) The ransom of a man's life are his riches: but the poor hears not rebuke.

(Pro 13:23) Much food is in the fallow ground of the poor: but there is that is destroyed for lack of justice.

(Pro 14:20) The poor is hated even of his own neighbor: but the rich has many friends.

(Pro 14:21) He that despises his neighbor sins: but he that has mercy on the poor, happy is he.

(Pro 14:31) He that oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker: but he that honors him has mercy on the poor.

(Pro 17:5) Whosoever mocks the poor reproaches his Maker: and he that is glad at calamity shall not be unpunished.

(Pro 18:23) The poor uses entreaties; but the rich answers roughly.

(Pro 19:1) Better is the poor that walks in his integrity, than he that is perverse in his lips, and is a fool.

(Pro 19:4) Wealth makes many friends; but the poor is separated from his neighbor.

(Pro 19:7) All the brethren of the poor do hate him: how much more do his friends go far from him? he pursues them with words, yet they are nothing to him.

(Pro 19:17) He that has pity upon the poor lends unto the LORD; and that which he has given will he pay him again.

(Pro 19:22) The desire of a man is his kindness: and a poor man is better than a liar.

(Pro 21:13) Whosoever stops his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard.

(Pro 21:17) He that loves pleasure shall be a poor man: he that loves wine and oil shall not be rich.

(Pro 22:2) The rich and poor meet together: the LORD is the maker of them all.

(Pro 22:7) The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

(Pro 22:9) He that has a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he gives of his bread to the poor.

(Pro 22:16) He that oppresses the poor to increase his riches, and he that gives to the rich, shall surely come to poverty.

(Pro 22:22) Rob not the poor, because he is poor: neither oppress the afflicted in the gate:

(Pro 28:3) A poor man that oppresses the poor is like a sweeping rain which leaves no food.

(Pro 28:6) Better is the poor who walks in his uprightness, than he that is perverse in his ways, though he be rich.

(Pro 28:8) He that by usury and unjust gain increases his substance, he shall gather it for him that will pity the poor.

(Pro 28:11) The rich man is wise in his own eyes; but the poor that has understanding will find him out.

(Pro 28:15) As a roaring lion, and a charging bear; so is a wicked ruler over the poor people.

(Pro 28:27) He that gives unto the poor shall not lack: but he that hides his eyes shall have many a curse.

(Pro 29:7) The righteous considers the cause of the poor: but the wicked regards not such knowledge.

(Pro 29:13) The poor and the deceitful man meet together: the LORD lightens both their eyes.

(Pro 29:14) The king that faithfully judges the poor, his throne shall be established forever.

(Pro 30:9) Lest I be full, and deny you, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain.

(Pro 30:14) There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men.

(Pro 31:9) Open your mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.

(Pro 31:20) She stretches out her hand to the poor; yea, she reaches forth her hands to the needy.

(Ecc 4:13) Better is a poor and wise child than an old and foolish king, who will no longer be admonished.

(Ecc 4:14) For out of prison he comes to reign; yet he that is born in his kingdom might become poor.

(Ecc 5:8) If you see the oppression of the poor, and violent perverting of justice and righteousness in a province, marvel not at the matter: for the high official is watched by a higher one ; and there are yet higher ones over them.

(Ecc 6:8) For what has the wise more than the fool? what has the poor, who knows to walk before the living?

(Ecc 9:15) Now there was found in it a poor wise man, and he by his wisdom delivered the city; yet no man remembered that same poor man.

(Ecc 9:16) Then said I, Wisdom is better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom is despised, and his words are not heard.

(Isa 3:14) The LORD will enter into judgment with the elders of his people, and its princes: For you have eaten up the vineyard; the plunder of the poor is in your houses.

(Isa 3:15) What do you mean that you beat my people to pieces, and grind the faces of the poor? says the Lord GOD of hosts.

(Isa 10:2) To turn aside the needy from justice, and to take away the right from the poor of my people, that widows may be their prey, and that they may rob the fatherless!

(Isa 10:30) Lift up your voice, O daughter of Gallim: cause it to be heard unto Laishah, O poor Anathoth.

(Isa 11:4) But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked.

(Isa 14:30) And the firstborn of the poor shall feed, and the needy shall lie down in safety: and I will kill your root with famine, and he shall slay your remnant.

(Isa 14:32) What shall one then answer the messengers of the nation? That the LORD has founded Zion, and the poor of his people shall trust in it.

(Isa 25:4) For you have been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, for the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.

(Isa 26:6) The foot shall tread it down, even the feet of the poor, and the steps of the needy.

(Isa 29:19) The meek also shall increase their joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

(Isa 32:7) The schemes also of the schemer are evil: he devises wicked plans to destroy the poor with lying words, even when the needy speaks justly.

(Isa 41:17) When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongues fail for thirst, I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

(Isa 58:7) Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring the poor that are cast out to your house? when you see the naked, that you cover him; and that you hide not yourself from your own flesh?

(Isa 66:2) For all those things has my hand made, and all those things have been, says the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembles at my word.

(Jer 2:34) Also on your skirts is found the blood of the souls of the poor innocents: I have not found it by secret search, but plainly upon all these things.

(Jer 5:4) Therefore I said, Surely these are poor; they are foolish: for they know not the way of the LORD, nor the law of their God.

(Jer 20:13) Sing unto the LORD, praise you the LORD: for he has delivered the soul of the poor from the hand of evildoers.

(Jer 22:16) He judged the cause of the poor and needy; then it was well with him: was not this to know me? says the LORD.

(Jer 39:10) But Nebuzar-adan the captain of the guard left some of the poor of the people, who had nothing, in the land of Judah, and gave them vineyards and fields at the same time.

(Jer 40:7) Now when all the captains of the forces which were in the fields, even they and their men, heard that the king of Babylon had made Gedaliah the son of Ahikam governor in the land, and had committed unto him men, and women, and children, and the poor of the land, of them that were not carried away captive to Babylon;

(Jer 52:15) Then Nebuzar-adan the captain of the guard carried away captive certain of the poor of the people, and the rest of the people that remained in the city, and those that had deserted, that deserted to the king of Babylon, and the rest of the multitude.

(Jer 52:16) But Nebuzar-adan the captain of the guard left certain of the poor of the land for vinedressers and for farmers.

(Eze 16:49) Behold, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom, pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

(Eze 18:12) Has oppressed the poor and needy, has robbed by violence, has not restored the pledge, and has lifted up his eyes to the idols, has committed abomination,

(Eze 18:17) That has withheld his hand from the poor, that has not received from money interest nor increase, has executed my judgments, has walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live.

(Eze 22:29) The people of the land have used oppression, and committed robbery, and have oppressed the poor and needy: yea, they have oppressed the stranger wrongfully.

(Dan 4:27) Therefore, O king, let my counsel be acceptable unto you, and break off your sins by practicing righteousness, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the poor; if it may be a lengthening of your tranquility.

(Amo 2:6) Thus says the LORD; For three transgressions of Israel, and for four, I will not turn away its punishment; because they sold the righteous for silver, and the poor for a pair of shoes;

(Amo 2:7) That trample on the dust of the earth which is on the head of the poor, and turn aside the way of the meek: and a man and his father will go in unto the same maiden, to defile my holy name:

(Amo 4:1) Hear this word, you cows of Bashan, that are in the mountain of Samaria, who oppress the poor, who crush the needy, who say to their masters, Bring, and let us drink.

(Amo 5:11) Since therefore you tread upon the poor, and you take from him burdens of wheat: you have built houses of hewn stone, but you shall not dwell in them; you have planted pleasant vineyards, but you shall not drink wine of them.

(Amo 5:12) For I know your manifold transgressions, and your mighty sins: they afflict the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside the poor in the gate from their right.

(Amo 8:4) Hear this, O you that swallow up the needy, even to make the poor of the land to fail,

(Amo 8:6) That we may buy the poor for silver, and the needy for a pair of shoes; yea, and sell the refuse of the wheat?

(Hab 3:14) You did thrust through with his own arrows the head of his villages: they came out as a whirlwind to scatter me: their rejoicing was like devouring the poor secretly.

(Zep 3:12) I will also leave in the midst of you an afflicted and poor people, and they shall trust in the name of the LORD.

(Zec 7:10) And oppress not the widow, nor the fatherless, the sojourner, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.

(Zec 11:7) And I will feed the flock of slaughter, even you, O poor of the flock. And I took unto me two staffs; the one I called Grace, and the other I called Unity; and I fed the flock.

(Zec 11:11) And it was broken in that day: and so the poor of the flock that waited upon me knew that it was the word of the LORD.

(Mat 5:3) Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

(Mat 11:5) The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.

(Mat 19:21) Jesus said unto him, If you will be perfect, go and sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

(Mat 26:9) For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.

(Mat 26:11) For you have the poor always with you; but me you have not always.

(Mar 10:21) Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing you lack: go your way, sell whatsoever you have, and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

(Mar 12:42) And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

(Mar 12:43) And he called unto him his disciples, and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow has cast more in, than all they who have cast into the treasury:

(Mar 14:5) For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her.

(Mar 14:7) For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you will you may do them good: but me you have not always.

(Luk 4:18) The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

(Luk 6:20) And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be you poor: for yours is the kingdom of God.

(Luk 7:22) Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things you have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.

(Luk 14:13) But when you give a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:

(Luk 14:21) So that servant came, and showed his lord these things. Then the Master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor, and the maimed, and the lame, and the blind.

(Luk 18:22) Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet you lack one thing: sell all that you have, and distribute unto the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

(Luk 19:8) And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken anything from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.

(Luk 21:2) And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in there two mites.

(Luk 21:3) And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow has cast in more than they all:

(Joh 12:5) Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?

(Joh 12:6) This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bore what was put therein.

(Joh 12:8) For the poor always you have with you; but me you have not always.

(Joh 13:29) For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of for the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.

(Rom 15:26) For it has pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints who are at Jerusalem.

(1Co 13:3) And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profits me nothing.

(2Co 6:10) As sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

(2Co 8:9) For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that you through his poverty might be rich.

(2Co 9:9) (As it is written, He has dispersed abroad; he has given to the poor: his righteousness remains forever.

(Gal 2:10) Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was eager to do.

(Jam 2:2) For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in fine apparel, and there come in also a poor man in shabby clothing;

(Jam 2:3) And you have respect to him that wears the fine clothing, and say unto him, Sit here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand there, or sit here under my footstool:

(Jam 2:5) Hearken, my beloved brethren, Has not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he has promised to them that love him?

(Jam 2:6) But you have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judges?

(Rev 3:17) Because you say, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and know not that you are wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

(Rev 13:16) And he causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

I tried to get a pair of jeans once, at a goodwill store, they refused to give me one, saying, basically, its a corprate scam. me proving my disability isn't in question, they simply cannot give the needy any direct help, although they will be happy to sell some jeans at any of their stores, leaving me without, and it is a major splurge for me to just buy lightbulbs, or toothpaste. There is no way for the poor to actually get any of those things people give away to the businesses that oversee the needy - not in Florida anyways, well, maybe if I had a bunch of kids, that always brings a draw for them, but not as an individual. I didn't know that till I got run over by that car. Phi 2:3, Eph 5:21
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Carmela:
There are so many ways we can help others. The question is, when will we get off our butts and start doing something instead of just sitting back and feeling sorry for others? I don't say this to condemn anyone, it's just a general question but it does apply to many, even me sometimes.

Oh yes, I am very generous when donating to charities and giving clothing etc. to Goodwill type of organizations, but I have to learn to get off of my duff.

I know of people who have physically taken a homeless person into some fast food place and buy them a coffee or a meal, but I don't have that type of boldness - yet.

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bible says to feed the poor, so I believe that is what we should do. However, when I see someone on the street, which is rarely where I am, I have brought people out to eat or gone to the store and bought groceries and brought them back to people. I don't give money because people need nourishment so I give but I do it wisely.

I use to volunteer in a homeless shelter in Vermont before I moved here to New York and that shelter housed people at night but everyone had to be out by 6 a.m. so I sometimes brought people home with me and let them hang out at our house instead of staying on the streets all day.

My point in saying all of this is to show that there are things that we can do to help others without giving money.

I am still in contact with a man and his family that live in Africa but he spent 2 years here at Pinecrest with me and he said there is a severe famine in Africa right now because of a lack of rain. Another thing that we could do, is send money to other countries. After spending some time in Haiti and seeing what true poverty is, I reaized that even those of us that are poor in America are rich to others.

The guy that came to school here and returned to Africa started a ministry where he ministers to children and helps them as much as he can although his ministry lacks funds also. There are so many ways we can help others. The question is, when will we get off our butts and start doing something instead of just sitting back and feeling sorry for others? I don't say this to condemn anyone, it's just a general question but it does apply to many, even me sometimes.

Before I went to Haiti and before meeting so many people from Africa, they were just another country. When we start to get involved and actually meet the people, that country comes to life in our hearts. Now, I love African and Haitian people and I can't wait to visit those countries and impact another part of the world that use to only exist on a map in my mind.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not my hope to enter the Millennial Kingdom at the Sheep/Goat Judgement of the nations.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yeshuaslavejeff
Advanced Member
Member # 4506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yeshuaslavejeff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...putting sheep to his right and goats to his left.
Then the King will say to those on his right, Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation.

And here's why:
I was hungry and you[personally] fed me,
I was thirsty and you[yourself] gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room[in your
own home],
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,...
the message, matthew 25

many excuses, all man's traditions, replace
G_d's Word today. simply obey. (If you want the
King to tell you 'Come! into My Kingdom')

--------------------
1Peter4:1,2 Yeshua suffered physical suffering:disciples have same mind/ willingness to share shame/physical suffering with Yeshua/His people.
Biblio:"willtherealhereticsplease standup?"byBercot(churchTruth)

Posts: 75 | From: tulsa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

This is a difficult one. Our city has soup kitchens which provide daily hot meals for the homeless, and also provide shelters. If they have an address of any kind, they can collect welfare. A lot refuse shelter because of mental illnesss or whatever.

Every Sunday morning there is a man who sits outside of my church in his wheelchair, saying a warm 'God bless you.' as people come and go from the church. Some stop by and chat with him and I am sure give him money as well. Does this man have shelter; is he getting a welfare/ disability cheque? - who knows. I have never given him any money - is my heart not right?

I once saw a woman interviewed regarding the homeless, and she said that she always gives to these people, because that may be the only gift they ever receive. She doesn't care how they use it, be it for smokes or booze, because when we give gifts to friends or relatives, it is theirs to do with whatever they wish - no questions asked.

What a great attitude - I will never forget her words.

timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Lagos you see a lot of poverty and many beggers. There is no welfare system at all and many starve. Churches etc are the main source of providing food and shelter to these people.

At every road junction there are many beggars and people with horrendous injuries asking for money. I don't give to these people as most of the money will go to the mafia who "own" most of the beggars on the street.

However, there are organisations that you can donate to that provide food and shelter for the poor. I think money channelled in this way is much better than giving to the individual.

It is a sad situation, but you soon get build an immunity. I often see dead bodies that often lie in the road for several days before they are taken away.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

I beleive the following verse gives us ensight and warning of the ensuing question of the thread:

"See how the faithful city has become a harlot! She once was full of justice; righteousness used to dwell in her -- but now murderers! Your rulers are rebels, companions of thieves; they all love bribes and chase after gifts. They do not defend the cause of the fatherless; the widow's case does not come before them." Isaiah 1: 21, 23

Personally, being disabled and run over by the greedy attourneys who man-handled my case, I am wholly dependant upon the niceties of givers for my food, being that 550$/mth is not enough to subsist upon, I receive meals on wheels and am thankful.

RLF
Community Member
Member # 5389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLF   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" Is this not the fast I have chosen? to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, to let the oppresssed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out, when you see the naked , that you cover him, and not hide yourself from your own flesh?...Isaiah 58, verse 6, 7.

3 points and observations i would like to make with you my brothers and sisters in Christ.

1. The majority of the people Redding Loaves and Fishes serves.
A. Grandmothers who suddenly find themselves parents again, because of mothers, fathers, in drug addiction, prison,, etc....
B. Those living in cars for whatever reason, drug addiction, alcoholics, mental health issues, etc...
C. Those who have lost their jobs, houses, cars, etc, for what ever reason.
D. Those who are being spiritually attacked.
E. Again, the economy of Redding is very depressed, menial jobs for minium wages
F. Those ex drug addicts and alcolholics who are crying out to Jesus, taking the first courageous steps in recovery, living in half way houses , etc..
G. Single mothers, for what ever reason.

2 Redding Loaves and Fishes is pleased and humbled to serve all of these, showing no partiality, "For judgement is without mercy to the one who who has shown no mercy, Mercy triumphs over judgement". James 2, verse13. "If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, you shall love your neighbor as yourself, you do well." James 2, verse 8. "Listen my beloved brethern,has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? James 2, verse 5. Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God. Who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them. Who keeps truth forever. Who executes justice for the oppressed. Who gives food to the hungry. The Lord who gives fredom to the prisoners. Psalm 146, verses 5 - 7. For I was hungry and you gave Me Food?.......

3 The majority of those being served are not happy at all to be in the situation of having to come for emergency food. also , a woman came to another food agency once, after she got her food, the staff saw her get in a very expensive car, and cut her off all services, not realizing that her car also was her only home and shelter.

At Redding loaves and Fishes , the policy of food distribution is two times a month to clients, but if needed, I talk to clients further, and that policy can be waived, food insecurities can last much longer than a month, and every effort is extended to them to find the causes, as well as prayer, and refer them to other agencys who can help. Occasionally, the devil will put me in that "hamster wheel" of whos abusing the system, and whos not, generally leading to a hardening of the heart. The Holy Spirit has never told me to deny food to anybody who I thought was abusing the ministry, and is it not the Holy Spirits job to convict the consciousness of those who are?

http://www.reddingloavesandfishes.com/

--------------------
RLF

Posts: 18 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement