Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » A bit of fun - the NIV Bible quiz

Author Topic: A bit of fun - the NIV Bible quiz
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by timspong:
BTW I wasnt trying to be negative, I was just trying to point out the differences in a fun way.

Sorry - it wasn't my intent to take away from the essence of your thread.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All translation has their falls and errs but yet there is none like the KVJ translation. Some people tell me to get read of that old version you have and to have a modern one for today’s hearers and I told them that if that is the case both you need to get read off the 68 Chevy and the 78 ford that you have in your garage cover with silk blankets for they are old and they need a 2006 models. You can imagine if you which to what takes place in the conversation!

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
quote:
For example, there is no verse in the NIV that supports the trinity

Matthew 28:19{NIV) Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

quote:
(from wparr)What about warning people about the shortfalls of The KJV?
Yes it does have them.

I am thankful that I approach many versions with a child-like awe and naivety, which makes me open to the real meat of the scriptures, and not be constantly nitpicking on what may be wrong. You must be missing so much inspiration and true wisdom and knowledge by focusing outside of the Holy Spirit and dwelling on negativity.

God is not the author of confusion.

Sorry I meant is was the only verse to explicitly reference the trinity.

The following are all implicit references to the trinity

Matthew 28:19,
I Corinthians 12:4-6,
II Corinthians 13:14,
Jude 1:20-21

BTW I wasnt trying to be negative, I was just trying to point out the differences in a fun way. However, I guess the original writer was rather more cynical than I first percieved.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

There is, John reminds us, 'the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error'.

Guess which one alters and omits the verses which show forth the Lord Christ Jesus His in rightful place - on the throne, far above all?

HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
For example, there is no verse in the NIV that supports the trinity

Matthew 28:19{NIV) Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

quote:
(from wparr)What about warning people about the shortfalls of The KJV?
Yes it does have them.

I am thankful that I approach many versions with a child-like awe and naivety, which makes me open to the real meat of the scriptures, and not be constantly nitpicking on what may be wrong. You must be missing so much inspiration and true wisdom and knowledge by focusing outside of the Holy Spirit and dwelling on negativity.

God is not the author of confusion.

timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the NIV myself. I think it is important for people to be aware of it's shortfalls. I have each contentious verse highlighted.

For example, there is no verse in the NIV that supports the trinity???

BTW I didn't write this quiz, I copied it from a web site.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

I didn't write this, I found it on the Internet:

Using the New International Version Bible, answer the following questions to this NIV quiz.

Do not rely on your memory. As the Bible is the final authority, you must take the answer from the Bible verse (not from footnotes but from the text).

Fill in the missing words in Matthew 5:44. "Love your enemies,__________ them that curse you, ______________ to them that hate you, and pray for them that __________ and persecute you."

According to Matthew 17:21, what two things are required to cast out this type of demon?

According to Matthew 18:11, why did Jesus come to earth?

According to Matthew 27:2, what was Pilate's first name?

In Matthew 27:35, when the wicked soldiers parted His garments, they were fulfilling the words of the prophet. Copy what the prophet said in Matthew 27:35 from the NIV.

In Mark 3:15, Jesus gave the apostles power to cast out demons and to: ____________

According to Mark 7:16, what does a man need to be able to hear?

According to Luke 7:28, what was John? (teacher, prophet, carpenter, etc.). What is his title or last name?

In Luke 9:55, what did the disciples not know?

In Luke 9:56, what did the Son of man not come to do? According to this verse, what did He come to do?

In Luke 22:14, how many apostles were with Jesus?

According to Luke 23:38, in what three languages was the superscription written?

In Luke 24:42, what did they give Jesus to eat with His fish?

John 3:13 is a very important verse, proving the deity of Christ. According to this verse (as Jesus spoke), where is the Son of man?

What happened each year as told in John 5:4?

In John 7:50, what time of day did Nicodemus come to Jesus?

In Acts 8:37, what is the one requirement for baptism?

What did Saul ask Jesus in Acts 9:6?

Write the name of the man mentioned in Acts 15:34.

Study Acts 24:6-8. What would the Jew have done with Paul? What was the chief captain's name? What did the chief captain command?

Copy Romans 16:24 word for word from the NIV.

First Timothy 3:16 is perhaps the greatest verse in the New Testament concerning the deity of Christ. In this verse, who was manifested in the flesh?

In the second part of First Peter 4:14, how do [they] speak of Christ? And, what do we Christians do?

Who are the three Persons of the Trinity in First John 5:7?

Revelation 1:11 is another very important verse that proves the deity of Christ. In the first part of this verse Jesus said, "I am the A______________ and O___________, the _________ and the _______:"

Now try it again with the KJV

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement