Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » A Body hast Thou Prepared ME

Author Topic: A Body hast Thou Prepared ME
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Body Hast Thou Prepared Me

Paul will quote the 40th Psalm here, but we might not ever know it without understanding the mind of the Jew. People sometimes attempt to use this as a place to disprove the accuracy of the Bible.
How marvelous this is when it is realized that Christ spoke these words about Himself before He was born in Bethlehem.

Heb 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
Heb 10:6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
Heb 10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
Heb 10:8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
Heb 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

The Psalm below is what Paul is quoting;

Psa 40:6 Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required.

Well, you might say, what has ears opened got to do with a body thou hast prepared for me? This is a figure of speech that we would never use or understand in our English. “Thou opened” “mine ears” is the figure. If you look in your margin, you will see the word ‘ dig’ for the word ‘opened’. That word “thou opened” is the “digged” ear. Now the Hebrew would understand this where we never would. Let us look at a few verses and see if we can see what the Jew would see here.

Eze 16:3 And say, Thus saith the Lord GOD unto Jerusalem; Thy birth{digging} and thy nativity is of the land of Canaan; thy father was an Amorite, and thy mother a Hittite.

So now we have birth connected with this digging. Well, is this right? Lets get another example and see what the language reveals.

Eze 21:30 Shall I cause it to return into his sheath? I will judge thee in the place where thou wast created, in the land of thy nativity.{digging}

Isa 51:1 Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged.
Isa 51:2 Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bore you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him.

This birth is again linked to digging. The Hebrew brings us thru the translation by transition, to the ear that was digged, to that body which was born at Bethlehem. And this Hebrew audience would naturally see this straightaway.

Heb 10:11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down on the right hand of God;
Heb 10:13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
Heb 10:14 For by one offering he hath perfected forever them that are sanctified.

No priest’s work was ever done, he would stand his entire life, but Yeshuah Messiah spoke once in the temple and proclaimed the acceptable year of the Lord and sat down. This man, this Messiah, who comes in the volume of the Book, offered one sacrifice for all, one time, and sat down. Unlike the constant sacrifice which could never take away sins. Oh, this means a tremendous lot to any Jew.

So, Paul has taken them from the prophecy, to the ministry, to the one time sacrifice and resurrection of the High Priest, who sat down at the right hand of God all in these few words.

And now these Hebrews had something they could hold onto, a picture they could receive of old. There was so much new, so much going forth and leaving that which was behind. Now they could understand this race Paul has been speaking of. The race from Salvation to perfection, going on to the end, as is the meaning. Paul will speak of this continuing to the end concerning Abraham and so forth, but I wanted you to see these few things above that are difficult to draw out without an understanding of the Jewish mind and traditions. And always bear in mind, that it is the Holy Spirit who is directing the paths which Paul would convey to his flesh kinsmen.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement