Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » I have a question.

Author Topic: I have a question.
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pleasemaranatha:
It blows my mind how he chooses the people others have given up on. Satan keeps lying to them that they sinned ONCE to many times or their sins are worse than other people sins. He says it is toooooooooooo late and they have to give up tooo much to be a christian etc. They see frowns and rules from some christians and don't see why to surrender to God. Until God does HIS thing. God is so creaative with how he changes their hearts.

Isn't He an unbelievably awesome and loving God!!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Born Again,

I love your nickname also.

My soul cries out to be with Him when He comes for us. I am surely trying to be patient, but have an evangelistic purpose while I wait. He guides me by keeping HIS hand or an angels wing over my mouth until He has a word for someone. I have been taught to listen, listen, listen, and pray for the lost or backslidden without them being aware that I am praying. I don't know all the things in the bible that some do but hope I am well grounded so far in the basics. God is so real and loving. He is doing so much at a quick pace lately. What a honor to be part of this great family. It blows my mind how he chooses the people others have given up on. Satan keeps lying to them that they sinned ONCE to many times or their sins are worse than other people sins. He says it is toooooooooooo late and they have to give up tooo much to be a christian etc. They see frowns and rules from some christians and don't see why to surrender to God. Until God does HIS thing. God is so creaative with how he changes their hearts.

The rod and staff subject is so interesting and I will keep rereading the posts.

Sorry for rambling......I am just so excited to see what God will do in this New Year of 2006. Every year it gets more interesting.

Love to all and thanks everyone for the responses to my questions or comments. God Bless you and yours richly.

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello, sister Pleasemaranatha, pleased to meet up with you again (I addressed another post of yours). You write
quote:
His rod and staff that comforts us........what are they?? Ps. 23:4

I need more of an explaination please.

thanks

If I remember correctly, one poster said in my paraphrase of it, "his rod or club was his weapon of defense." I agree.

And I think the same poster said, "he leaned on his staff".

My question, dear sister Pleasemaranatha (what a cute and dear handle, sister) (God has been crying me tonight for His people and me)...

My question is, "how does He leaning on His staff comfort me"? [Big Grin]

I love it, LORD. I am BORN AGAIN by the [Cross] of Yahshua-Jesus.
"Every knee shall bow"

epouraniois
unregistered

quote:
Shepherds would also break the leg of a lamb that was rebelious and disobiedient.
That doesn't sound like a good shepherd to me. I am finding this difficult to accept, knowing they carried the little lambs that their smell would become so familiar that only that shepherd's voice would the lamb hear.

Could you provide some research links for it, I really need to look that up. Thanks in advance.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As one who has had her legs broken and been carried; I say Amen! Brother WParr. GOd's discipline never seems in the moment something to rejoice in and surely it would be better if he never had to discipline us... but in the end, there is great comfort in that he does, because it means that he has delt with us AS SONS!
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
by_grace
Advanced Member
Member # 5340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for by_grace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taken from the book "Strange Scriptures that perplex the western mind" by Barbara M. Bowen

"They Comfort Me"

The heavy clubd carried by the shepherds are a means of defense, for the shepherd never knows what he may meet. They are the clubs mentioned in the Shepherd Psalm.

Where would the "comfort" come in? The weight of these clubs would not feel comfortable. The watchful shepherd is always guarding his sheep that they may not be injured or killed by wild animals.

If a wild animal approaches, the shepherd comes and with all the strength he has, he brings the heavy rod down upon the enemy of his sheep and they are saved.

Then, sometimes the sheep or the little lambs are caught in the thorns or bushes or they may fall into a deep hole.
The shepherd then takes his staff and tenderly lifts the lamb out of its difficulty.

He also leans on the staff when walking over rough, stony paths.
"Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me."

--------------------
To "love thy neighbor as thyself" is not expressed by forfeiting, twisting or reinterpreting the Word of God for the cause of unity. It is expressed by hearing, obeying and proclaiming the whole council of God regardless of whom it might offend.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Tim Spong for this information.

Now I know why I have lumps on my head. I believe he has corrected me alot while pulling me me close and away from evil. GLORY BE TO GOD FOR HIS GOODNESS.

How cool that you are saved and writing from Nigeria. God is so wonderful to bring us together this way.

God Bless you deeply and forever.

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always think of the rod as being a tool of discipline and the staff as a tool to direct & sustain us.

Think of Jesus as a shepherd. When we start to go in the wrong direction, he can either bop us with his rod to bring us to our senses or he can guide us with his staff (think shepherd hook).

The closer we are to him, the less force he needs to employ to keep us on track.

I think the comfort comes from knowing we are walking the correct path and that he is guiding us.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Here is an analytical book from a great scholar with almost unparraled access to the best manuscripts.

http://philologos.org/%5F%5Feb%2Dnis/

Number in Scripture:

Its Supernatural Design and Spiritual Significance

by
E. W. Bullinger
(1837-1913)

Fourth Edition, Revised.

"The works of the Lord are great,
Sought out of all them have pleasure therein."
Ps. cxi. 2.

And one more.

http://philologos.org/%5F%5Feb%2Dhtetb/

HOW TO ENJOY THE BIBLE:
Or,
The "Word," and "The Words,"
How to Study them.

By
E. W. Bullinger, D.D.

epouraniois
unregistered

Yes, it is all deeper, ever so deep is the unplumbible depths of the riches of His grace and great glory in these pure words, (Psa 12:6) words of earth, which is why we should have great reverence for them, never altering their meaning that they may fit our understanding, for it truly is His understanding we are given, and given that we may have life and have it more abundantly.

And thank you for asking the questions, for by them I have opportunity to open the book and allow the Lord to reveal His wisdom by it, seeing all things new every time, for the Word is ever pregnant with exceeding riches awaiting our every hope.

Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Epouraniois,

Thanks very much. It is deeper than I thought it would be. I will keep reading and chewing on what you wrote until I can digest the info.

Thanks again for answering so quickly. May God Bless you and yours.

--------------------

Joyce

epouraniois
unregistered

All glory to God and His Son for His Great Name's Sake.

In the great book of Revelation we have the time of great teaching for a thousand years. It will be ruled by a rod of iron.

What we take comfort in is the rod of His Word, but at that time it will be a rod of iron because they will be eating at the Lord's table of truth with a fiegned heart of obediance. After the time of teaching is over, they again follow after Satan when he is loosed, their number as the sand of the sea.

The staff would be the whole staff and stay of bread and water, which are sure unto the saints, and refresh and comfort them by the washing of the water of the word. Additionally, we have types and shadows given us in the O.T. pointing ahead to that which would be revealed. The water of the word here points to the one baptism of Eph. 4:5, 5:26 when all types and shadows are put away to make place for the true and the real.

The rod and staff particularly have to do with the first portion of the verse 4, and that shadow therein, which is supposed to remind us of Ecc., as it was written for the man who walks under the sun, namely flesh man.

Mic 7:14 Feed thy people with thy rod, the flock of thine heritage, which dwell solitarily in the wood, in the midst of Carmel: let them feed in Bashan and Gilead, as in the days of old.

Regarding Ps. 23, I thought this might also be of value,but by no means exhausts any of these pure and great Holy words and verse, for with man, it would be impossible:

The name Jehovah is combined with ten other words, which form what are known as "the Jehovah Titles." in the Hebrew Canon.

1. JEHOVAH-JIREH = Jehovah will see, or provide. Gen. 22:14.
2. JEHOVAH-ROPHEKA = Jehovah that healeth thee. Ex. 15:26.
3. JEHOVAH-NISSI = Jehovah my banner. Ex. 17:15.
4. JEHOVAH-MeKADDISHKEM = Jehovah that doth sanctify you. Ex. 31:13. Lev. 20:8; 21:8;
22:32. Ezek. 20:12.
5. JEHOVAH-SHALOM = Jehovah [send] peace. Judg. 6:24.
6. JEHOVAH-ZeBA'OTH = Jehovah of hosts. 1Sam. 1:3, and frequently.
7. JEHOVAH-ZIDKENU = Jehovah our righteousness. Jer. 23:6; 33:16.
8. JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH = Jehovah is there. Ezek. 48:35.
9. JEHOVAH-ELYON = Jehovah most high. Ps. 7:17; 47:2; 97:9.
10. JEHOVAH-RO'I = Jehovah my Shepherd. Ps. 23:1.

Numbers are used in Scripture, not merely as in Nature, with supernatural design, but with spiritual significance.

We have seven of these, referred to under His veil as it were, in Ps. 23, inasmuch as Jehovah, the "Good," "Great," and "Chief Shepherd," is engaged, in all the perfection of His attributes, on behalf of His sheep:--

In verse 1, we have No. 1 above.
In verse 2, we have No. 5.
In verse 3, we have Nos. 2 and 7.
In verse 4, we have No. 8.
In verse 5, we have Nos. 3 and 4.

SEVEN.
Denotes spiritual perfection. It is the number or hall-mark of the Holy Spirit's work. He is the Author of God's Word, and seven is stamped on it as the water-mark is seen in the manufacture of paper. He is the Author and Giver of life; and seven is the number which regulates every period of Incubation and Gestation, in insects, birds, animals, and man.

These seven are given in four verses:

FOUR. Denotes creative works (3+1), and always has reference to the material creation, as pertaining to the earth, and things "under the sun", and things terrestrial.

ONE. Denotes unity, and commencement. The first occurrences of words or utterances denote their essential significance, in interpretation. Words that occur only once, in the originals, are emphatic and important. First day, Light. The first occurrences of all important words and expressions are noted in the margin.

THREE. Denotes completeness, as three lines complete a plane figure. Hence, three is significant of Divine perfection and completeness. The third day completes the fundamentals of creation-work. The fourth, fifth, and sixth days are the counterpart and repetition of the first, second, and third, and correspond respectively. The number, three, includes resurrection also; for on the third day the earth rose up out of the deep, and the fruit rose up out of the earth.

In as much as we also have the given title of 'shepherd' in verse 1, giving us eight titles in all out of the full set of ten, we should be aware of the value of this divine numbering system:

EIGHT. Denotes resurrection, regeneration; a new beginning or commencement. The eighth is a new first. Hence the octave in music, color, days of the week, &c. It is the number which has to do with the LORD, Who rose on the eighth, or new "first-day". This is, therefore, the Dominical number. By Gematria, 'JJjjIhsous (Jesus) makes the number 888. It, or its multiple is impressed on all that has to do with the Lord's Names, the Lord's People, the Lord's works.

TEN. Denotes Ordinal perfection. Another new first; after the ninth digit, when numeration commences anew.

NINE. Denotes Finality of judgment. It is 3x3, the product of Divine completeness. The number nine, or its factors or multiples, is seen in all cases when judgment is the subject.

Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 20 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His rod and staff that comforts us........what are they?? Ps. 23:4

I need more of an explaination please.

thanks,

--------------------

Joyce

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement