Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » In what way "shall it be more tolerable"?

Author Topic: In what way "shall it be more tolerable"?
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to say something here about 'types', and what are types, but a form of prophecy from the OT awaiting fulfillment. It's a certain form in picture of the coming one and the happenstance surrounding the events.

Luk 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
Luk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

So He takes the OT Scriptures and explains to them, again in v44:
And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Joh 5:39 Search the Scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

And they do so by shadow and type.

What I want to point out here, in view of the original threaded question, is the Figure of Speech called 'Alagory', a continued figure by implication.

Isa 5:4 What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?

But we aren't told what the Figure 'alagory' might alude to until v7, then we are given it in the Metaphore:
Isa 5:7 For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is (Figure Metaphore=vineyard is like) the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant: and he looked for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.

This is the Figure Alagory:

Jdg 9:8 The trees went forth on a time to anoint a king over them; and they said unto the olive tree, Reign thou over us.
Jdg 9:9 But the olive tree said unto them, Should I leave my fatness, wherewith by me they honor God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees?
Jdg 9:10 And the trees said to the fig tree, Come thou, and reign over us.
Jdg 9:11 But the fig tree said unto them, Should I forsake my sweetness, and my good fruit, and go to be promoted over the trees?
Jdg 9:12 Then said the trees unto the vine, Come thou, and reign over us.
Jdg 9:13 And the vine said unto them, Should I leave my wine, which cheereth God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees?
Jdg 9:14 Then said all the trees unto the bramble, Come thou, and reign over us.
Jdg 9:15 And the bramble said unto the trees, If in truth ye anoint me king over you, then come and put your trust in my shadow: and if not, let fire come out of the bramble, and devour the cedars of Lebanon.

Can you tell what the bramble is? It has to do with the original question of the thread. doens't it? Why, the bramble doesn't even cast a shadow, how can it hide them that seek rest under it's shadow? their own shadow?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
v21 been done=taking place, Woe &=Figre Maleditio (Isa. 3:11) = Expression of feeling by way of malediction and execration.
A testimony as to rejection of Him.

Mat 11:22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.

'at'=in
'the day of &c=now drawing near with the concept of Ma16. 23=as a Satanic attack, an offense, a day of stumbling, a love of self and not God.

the moral of Ma16. 23=mind to your own business, clean out own eye, unstop own ear, don't worry about others so much as you need to concern self standing in Christ or in deception that own position realizable.

Mat 11:23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

heaven=singular because contrast with earth=very rare, normally and throughout entire Bible heaven=plural.

It was more tolerable for the land in that it happened suddenly, and 2 (if memory serves), one of the five cities were spared. It does not happen suddenly when all Israel had heard, because the mystery had to be first revealed due to the eventualizing manifestation of Is6. 9, 10 by the leadership of the Jews, the point was reached to where they even ran out of trees to crucify the Jews and also the believers upon. Interesting is, Paul, being a Roman citizen, was exempted from the tree, so as to be able to take part in less painful beheading.

Remember too, that this had to do with reward, reward whether to the good or to the evil, all shall have their reward.

Psa 50:22 Now consider this, ye that forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver.

Isa 44:19 And none considereth in his heart, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say, I have burned part of it in the fire; yea, also I have baked bread upon the coals thereof; I have roasted flesh, and eaten it: and shall I make the residue thereof an abomination? shall I fall down to the stock of a tree?

Isa 51:20 Thy sons have fainted, they lie at the head of all the streets, as a wild bull in a net: they are full of the fury of the LORD, the rebuke of thy God.
Isa 51:21 Therefore hear now this, thou afflicted, and drunken, but not with wine:
Isa 51:22 Thus saith thy Lord the LORD, and thy God that pleadeth the cause of his people, Behold, I have taken out of thine hand the cup of trembling, even the dregs of the cup of my fury; thou shalt no more drink it again:
Isa 51:23 But I will put it into the hand of them that afflict thee; which have said to thy soul, Bow down, that we may go over: and thou hast laid thy body as the ground, and as the street, to them that went over.

Act 1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about a hundred and twenty,)

and of all these, not many, 120, only 2 were worthy of being chosen by lot to become the 12th apostle. That is a very weak showing of faith indeed.

By the end of Acts, Israel is set aside to take her place amidst the nations, the mystery of Christ and His church is revealed, and even in this, all in Asia (where the faithful believers reside) turned away (from the teachings of the revelation of the mystery, the church of the one body).

Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
Mat 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Isa 5:5 And now go to; I will tell you what I will do to my vineyard: I will take away the hedge thereof, and it shall be eaten up; and break down the wall thereof, and it shall be trodden down:
Isa 5:6 And I will lay it waste: it shall not be pruned, nor digged; but there shall come up briers and thorns: I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it.

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
Matthew 10:14
14And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Matthew 10:15
Verily I say to you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

I have often wondered about this. In my mind I usually think of the unbelievers receiving "one punishment fits all", but above the LORD seems to say that "it shall be more tolerable" for Sodom than for that city.

In what way "shall it be more tolerable"?

BORN AGAIN in the USA by the [Cross] of God Yahshua-Jesus of Bethlehem, as Micah 5:2 said

The key word in V15 of Mat 10 is the word “land.” It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha. Jesus was showing a comparison between a physical punishment in the Land and a spiritual punishment in the hereafter. He was saying that the judgment of sending down fire and brimstone on the land of Sodom and Gomorrha to destroy it’s inhabitants, would look like peanuts compared to the punishment those would receive who reject the Gospel. He was saying if the fire and brimstone that engulfed the people of Sodom was more tolerable than hell, could you imagine what hell must be like?

Mat 11:23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Mat 11:24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 10:14
14And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Matthew 10:15
Verily I say to you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

I have often wondered about this. In my mind I usually think of the unbelievers receiving "one punishment fits all", but above the LORD seems to say that "it shall be more tolerable" for Sodom than for that city.

In what way "shall it be more tolerable"?

BORN AGAIN in the USA by the [Cross] of God Yahshua-Jesus of Bethlehem, as Micah 5:2 said

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement