Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » How does the bible teach us to fish?

Author Topic: How does the bible teach us to fish?
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by timspong:
Very interesting comment, but they were fixing their own net. In other words it is our responsibility to ensure that our “tools” are in good order.

However, someone would have had to teach them how to fix their nets correctly so they didn’t do a haphazard job and cause many fish to escape through the holes.

Yes, to walk worthy is our responcibility,

Tit 2:10 Not purloining, but showing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things.

Phi 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an example.
Phi 3:18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
Phi 3:19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
Phi 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ:
Phi 3:21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Now, how can we be walking worthy if we are practicing someone else's doctrine rather than our own, for ours is given in Eph ch's 1-3. Every other doctrine which came before this is given to the Jews, the calling and hope of Israel whose inheritance is earthly things. Ch's 4-6 speaks to the affect of the doctrine, which is the worthy walk, or the fruit of the doctrinal root.

Is our worthy walk to be a disciple who goes not unto the way of the gentiles, as in the Gospels?
Is our worthy walk to be transformed into Israel?
Is our worthy walk to be standing outside the synogagues on the Sabbath day to await the crumbs showing forth Israel's hope?
Is our worthy walk to be members in particular during the Acts period?
or
Is our worthy walk to acknowledge the one hope of His calling?
Is our worthy walk to become a full grown man?

Is our calling a the kingdom hope of Israel during the Acts,
or that heavenly and high calling of the church?
Rom 11:25
Rom 16:25
Acts 28:28
Eph 1:27, 28
Eph 1:22-23
Eph 3:1-4
2Ti 2:15
2Ti 3:16
Col 3:1-4
Tit 2:13
Eph 1:17
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Eph 1:18
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does the Bible teach us to fish? By the example of how Peter and Paul fished, and by faith that God Jesus Himself will teach us how to fish, for it is He who said:

Mark 1:17
And Jesus said to them, Come after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.

What did Peter preach? Will preaching that work again today?

What did Paul preach? Will preaching what Paul preached still "daily add to the church as many as the Lord has called"?

I tend to fish with gibs and jabs, here and there I get to put a good one in for the LORD God of Israel; that's how my fishing tends to go, while checking up (with you and the HS) if my bait is still allright. [Bible]

I got to mention a couple of times recently to friends that "I'm going with the LORD of Israel, that's Whom I'm betting on."

bless the LORD God of Israel. BORN AGAIN [Cross]

timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting comment, but they were fixing their own net. In other words it is our responsibility to ensure that our “tools” are in good order.

However, someone would have had to teach them how to fix their nets correctly so they didn’t do a haphazard job and cause many fish to escape through the holes.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mat 4:18 And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
Mat 4:19 And he saith unto them, Follow me

Mat 4:21 And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them.

Without the net menders there would be no fishing, we should bear this well in mind:

Eph 4:1
I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
Eph 4:2
With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
Eph 4:3
Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it! - thanks for sharing timspong. [Smile]
timspong
Advanced Member
Member # 5240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timspong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think much can be learned from how Jesus fished.

He was a shinning light and everyone was attracted to his example.

He was uncompromising, humble, kind, generous, and compassionate with a heart filled with love.

He had a perfect knowledge of scripture and was able to “break it down” for even the most simple to understand.

He was not a hypocrite and put in to practise what he preached

He had wisdom and not just unrefined knowledge.

Through perfect obedience and purity, He was the perfect vessel for God to work through and thereby knew Gods will.

He was always in the right place at the right time.

He taught mainly one-on-one or in small groups.

Above all Jesus prayed for us.

This is pretty much the template I try (ever so pitifully) to follow.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Timothy Michael Spong

Posts: 146 | From: Lagos, Nigeria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement