Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Pharisees and Publicans

Author Topic: Pharisees and Publicans
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus brought forth a new concept to the Children of Israel, that of God the Father with a Father's love for His children personified in the express image of His person.

Jesus was the grace of God manifested in the flesh and dwelling among us, as reveled through the Four Gospels.

1 Tim. 1:
1: Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;
2: Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
3: As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,
4: Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
5: Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
6: From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
7: Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.
8: But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9: Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10: For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11: According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
12: And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
13: Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
14: And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
15: This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
16: Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
17: Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
18: This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest wage a good warfare;
19: Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
20: Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme

2 Tim. 4:
2: Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3: For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4: And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, this too, has escaped you, so let me say this for those who can read.

This is about parables given by our Lord. The parabables so given are not given by Him but in the four Gospels.

Trying to prove me wrong, which is the only thing this Jahbulon Emmisary seems to have for a goal, (it certainly isn't to lift up Chirst so far as I have seen), is but folly.

I stand by my words, that grace is not spoken of in relation to the people of this earth save where I have shown.

Grace is only spoken of once in John, that in relation to Christ Jesus, as I have noted above. Yes, the word is used more than once, but it is in the context of the one and the same subject, therefore, grace is only spoken of but once in John.

Pretty cool this guy stalks me, aye? I have a groupy, how kuel.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote:
Only Luke speaks of grace. We don’t find it Mathew. Not in Mark. It is used in John once of Christ; ‘Grace and truth came by Jesus Christ’.

Only Mark uses the word grace. Have you ever wondered how John could write that gospel to the whole world and not use the word grace once, but Luke uses the word 8 times. Luke finds his echoes in the writings of Paul, where he uses the word grace about 80 times.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Luke 2:40
And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 1:16
And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

John 1:17
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Grace:

Main Entry: 1grace
Pronunciation: 'grAs
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin gratia favor, charm, thanks, from gratus pleasing, grateful; akin to Sanskrit grnAti he praises
1 a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification b : a virtue coming from God c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace
2 a : APPROVAL, FAVOR <stayed in his good graces> b archaic : MERCY, PARDON c : a special favor : PRIVILEGE <each in his place, by right, not grace, shall rule his heritage -- Rudyard Kipling> d : disposition to or an act or instance of kindness, courtesy, or clemency e : a temporary exemption : REPRIEVE

Love:
4 a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind (2) : brotherly concern for others b : a person's adoration of God

Grace in the Greek:

Strong's Number: 5485 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
cavriß from (5463)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Charis 9:372,1298
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
khar'-ece Noun Feminine
Definition

1. grace
1. that which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness: grace of speech
2. good will, loving-kindness, favour
1. of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues
3. what is due to grace
1. the spiritual condition of one governed by the power of divine grace
2. the token or proof of grace, benefit
1. a gift of grace
2. benefit, bounty
4. thanks, (for benefits, services, favours), recompense, reward

John 3:
16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17: For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18: He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
35: The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.
36: He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

1 Peter 1:
Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Acts 11:
19 Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.
20 And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus.
21 And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord. 22 Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
23 Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord. 24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Luk 18:9-14-ISV)
(9) “Jesus also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves because they were righteous, but who looked down on everyone else:
(10) "Two men went up to the temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. {the KJV has ‘publican’}

(11) The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed, 'O God, I thank you that I'm not like other people-thieves, dishonest people, adulterers, or even this tax collector. {Oh, my my, this one is pretty high and mighty on himself…can’t you just hear him -- in his disdain -- lengthening it --tthiisss’ ‘PubliKann’?}

(12) I fast twice a week, and I give a tenth of my entire income.' {Oh, here is a holy man. The law only required one fast per year, but this man is so holy he fasts all the time. You know, we are very fortunate, because we know we sin. This poor man is going to have to stand before the Lord and then he will be made bare before himself, and the Lord. The Bible says if we say to ourselves that we have no sin, whom are we going to deceive, we only deceive ourselves, literally, he gives a 10th ‘of all that I acquire’. And he prays to himself, patting himself on the back. I’m not making fun of him, he could have been a really good dude, but he was lying to himself}

(13) "But the tax collector stood at a distance and would not even look up to heaven. Instead, he continued to beat his chest and said, 'O God, be merciful to me, the sinner that I am! {The tense here, is that of repeatedly beating his chest. There was an intense knowledge that he was a sinner in his heart, he kept smiting his chest saying, literally; ‘God be propitious {or, merciful} to me, the sinner!'

There is a word that comes from this word mercy that gives us the word 'mercy seat'. This parable is all built around Christ being the mercy seat, in fact the whole Bible is all built around Christ being the mercy seat, the propitiation for sin (romans). But this publican says, 'the' sinner, not 'a' sinner, like he is the only one in the world standing before God; and here it is, here comes Romans. He “went down to his home justified”.

(14) I tell you, this man, rather than the other, went down to his home justified. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the person who humbles himself will be exalted."

So this man, knowing he was a sinner, and needed to be saved, be washed clean, was seen justified before the Lord. And our Lord will wash him clean. And that’s the kind of great God and Savior we have in Christ Jesus {Tit 2:13}. He knows what’s in the heart. And this certainly echoes in the epistle to the Romans. Wherein we have the whole of the concept of grace spelled out for us in the NT.

Only Luke speaks of grace. We don’t find it Mathew. Not in Mark. It is used in John once of Christ; ‘Grace and truth came by Jesus Christ’.

Only Mark uses the word grace. Have you ever wondered how John could write that gospel to the whole world and not use the word grace once, but Luke uses the word 8 times. Luke finds his echoes in the writings of Paul, where he uses the word grace about 80 times.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement