Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Pope given last rites

Author Topic: Pope given last rites
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I'm still in Delaware, but I've been following along. We're heading home tonight, but I had to add my agreement with this prayer)

quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
Father we lift up Pope John Paul II in our hearts and in our most fervent prayers. Father we pray that you would hold this man in Your hand and surround him with Your love and fill his last hours with Your peace.

Father we do not see into the hearts of men, and may all who are placing their faith in their church, and not directly in You, that You would drop the scales from their eyes and open their hearts to Your Cross of Calvary and the salvation in Christ Jesus our Lord alone. Father comfort all hearts who mourn and grant peace as this noble man enters the veil of the ages, to stand before You. Above all Father God we pray that You would hold Your children close, lift them up and guide them upon the pathways of Your perfect will and eternal love. In Jesus' name.

Heavenly Father, I add my agreement with this prayer along with my Brothers and Sisters here on this message board (which You've graciously allowed us to meet together on). We ask that you would do these things in the above quote in Yeshua's (Jesus') Name. Amen [Prayer]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good prayer Drew. I lift up my voice in agreement to our Lord.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ripp,

Thank you very much for your posting which I'm in total agreement with and God bless you always!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen!
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Father we lift up Pope John Paul II in our hearts and in our most fervent prayers. Father we pray that you would hold this man in Your hand and surround him with Your love and fill his last hours with Your peace.

Father we do not see into the hearts of men, and may all who are placing their faith in their church, and not directly in You, that You would drop the scales from their eyes and open their hearts to Your Cross of Calvary and the salvation in Christ Jesus our Lord alone. Father comfort all hearts who mourn and grant peace as this noble man enters the veil of the ages, to stand before You. Above all Father God we pray that You would hold Your children close, lift them up and guide them upon the pathways of Your perfect will and eternal love. In Jesus' name.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ripp
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what we as Christians should focus on in a time like this is Jesus Christ. The Pope will be judged as we all will, let's leave the judgement to God.

He is a good man who has done a lot of good things in this dying world, nomatter what your beliefs are. We may not all agree with his policies or beliefs, but we can't deny the good he has done.

Let us pray for his comfort in his final hours. Put away the other stuff, it's not needed. This is a time we should be focusing on our wonderful Lord and Savior as our only hope. We will all die physically whether we know Jesus or not. Let's pray that the Pope's passing will bring the lost to know our Savior. Let Him bring us all a time of peace and eternal hope instead of strife and bickering.

God bless and stay strong. [Bible] [Cross] [Prayer]

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for explaining what offended. I agree with this: Many catholics are born again believers and there dependence is not on their religion but is on Jesus Christ only and to say otherwise is unfair.

I also think that it would be unfair to assume that all Catholic's are born again, as it would be unfair to assume that of any based on denominational alliances.

I attend a Southern Baptist chruch, though I do not consider myself a Southern Baptist or anything but a follower of Christ, but I can tell you that I have seen in my own Southern Baptist congregation those come forward after having been wonderful loving active members in our congregation sitting in the pews for 15 - 20 years, tithers, workers, servants to the body and to the community (our church is a very active working little congregation), people who themselves were evangelists, and I have seen them come forward in these last days and say, I have to confess, I have lived this life and walked this walk for years and I was not born again. Let me tell you, this is something that I believe God is doing in these last days, he is bringing his church out and he is moving because we must be born again. It rocks the house to have someone you have known as a brother or sister in Christ and seen their walk, felt as though they were an elder to you, listened to them teach in Sunday School, seen them serve with love, and then they tell you... I was not born again, but I am now born again!

I have seen this in my own congregation. Praise GOD!!! As shaking as this is, it is a testamony of HIS unending love for HIS children.

We really cannot safely assume any is born again by affiliation. The ones who call to Jesus Lord Lord in the last days, will likely call themselves Christians. But Jesus said ye must be born again. So perhaps we should assume nothing and pray for all. We can't go wrong with prayer.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

The vatican has just announced that the pope's death is imminent and that his heart and system is failing.

We should pray for the pope. That's what this thread is about.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:
It's being reported that he died.

According to CNN.com that is a rumor being spread by the Italian media

As of 3:19 EST he was still alive, but only barely hanging on.

cnn articl

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

HelpForHomeSchoolers,

Many catholics are born again believers and there dependence is not on their religion but is on Jesus Christ only and to say otherwise is unfair.

We all should pray for the pope that is what this thread started out to be.

Your posting about all the pope's accomplishments is very good and is very much appreciated!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Grandmajo: Please tell me what is catholic bashing about these statements;I ask sincerely and not fasciously. Should this not be our prayer for all Christians?

quote:
I pray that if doesn't know Jesus that God will quicken his heart to know Him before he dies.

I pray that thru this all that catholics eyes be opened for their need of a personal relationship with Elohim rather than a dependance on a religion.

I agree with you that this should not be a Catholic Bashing thread.

But neither should it be turned into a _____________ (fill in the blank anybody you choose bashing thread).

If I cant make these statements here that I have quoted with out offending you or someone else and being accused of trying to turn this thread into a Catholic bashing thread, then there is certainly a spirit of offense at work here.

Let both rebuke the Spirit of Offense in the Name of Jesus and join together to pray for the Pope and the Catholic Church, and for all men that God will quicken their hearts to know Him before they die and that all mens eyes be opened for their need of a personal relationship with Elohim rather than a dependance on a religion.

Surely that is a prayer worthy of praying. I know that you agree it is, don't you?

Gramajo320
unregistered

Texas Grandma,

Amen and once again your posting is very much appreciated! I agree with you! God bless you always!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saintbygrace

lets have respect for the dying. This is not the time to discuss his rights or his wrong. This is the time for prayer.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Saintbygrace,

What part of only our Heavenly Father knows what is in each and every person's heart do you not understand! You are not capable of that just the same as the rest of us are not capable of that so therefore you cannot and you do not know who is going to heaven and what is in each and every person's heart!

For the final time please quit trying to turn this thread into something it should not be!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320 turned into!

Gramajo320
unregistered

Saintbygrace,

You are a mere human being just as the rest of us are and there's no way that you are capable of knowing what is in the heart of the pope or every other catholic! Only our Heavenly Father knows that!

Please refrain from trying to turn this thread into bashing catholics. It's disrespectful, uncalled for, and wrong to do.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Gramajo320
unregistered

Please do not turn this thread into a bashing of catholics! That is so totally wrong to do and so uncalled for and so disrespectful! Only our Heavenly Father is the Judge and only our Heavenly Father knows what is in each and every person's heart! No human on this earth is capable of that!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Gramajo320
unregistered

Texas Grandma,

Amen and thank you very much for your great posting in this thread for it's deeply appreciated! God bless you always!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Aaron
unregistered

It's being reported that he died.
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Regardless of whether he said it; we should all pray that this man is born again. That is the will of God that he would be born again;God does not will that any should perish, but that all should come to repentence. I don't know if he is or if he is not, but I can certainly pray that if he is not that he would be before he passes from this earth and that his sins be forgiven.

It is very sad; I was listening to the news and they had said that he wants life support at any cost, and I thought how sad. Then I heard that he has himself decided not to take anymore hospital assistance, and I thought praise God perhaps that means he is at peace. We should all who are christians be a peace about leaving this life behind when it is time to go; if a Christian is not at peace about that, this is a cause for concern.

Let us pray that what ever he has been or not been in this life that He would be born again and be received into the loving arms of Jesus when he passes from this life.

I don't think he was a great man. I think he has led many astray; but no matter what I think, I wouldn't want any to go to hell; and there is no pergatory! Let us Pray , no matter what we think of Rome or of the Roman church or of the office of the Pope, when all is said and done all any of us are ..are men, who need a savior.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bible does not support purgatory. But, I don't believe the Pope was fighting death because of any wrongs he has done. I am NOT Catholic but, I believe the Pope fought death so long because he really does love the Catholic Church and wanted what was best for Her. Does he have anything to answer God for? Don't we all?
For now, I think we should pray for him and that if it is his time to go that he is able to make peace with God with whatever he needs to make peace with. I know if God were to take me this moment, I too have regrets in my life. Even though I am saved by grace, as I look back on my 52 years, I wish I had done many things different.
This is not the time to be judging the Pope. This is the time for praying for him.
We should pray for all Catholics. If God does take the Pope home, than this will be hard on the Catholic Church and we should mourn for them. As a Baptist, I can assure when God takes Rev. Billy Graham, I will be mourning and even though I am not Catholic, if the Pope dies, I will mourn for him too.
He has been a great man. He has gone into many dangerous countries and put himself in harms way for his faith. I have high respect for him. If God has issues with the Pope, that is between him and God. It is sure not up to me to judge the man.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Saintbygrace,

Your statement is so totally wrong and totally without any merit whatsoever!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

I found this on FoxNews; I thought it was interesting. Regardless of what you may think of him, this chronology is one of a remarkable life:

Chronology: Pope John Paul II
Friday, April 01, 2005

May 18, 1920: Karol Joseph Wojtyla born in Wadowice, Poland.

Nov. 1, 1946: Ordained as a priest.

Sept. 28, 1958: Consecrated as auxiliary bishop of Krakow (search).

March 8, 1964: Installed as bishop of Krakow.

June 28, 1967: Elevated to cardinal by Pope Paul VI (search).

Oct. 16, 1978: Elected pope by cardinals, first Pole ever and first non-Italian in 455 years.

Jan. 25, 1979: First trip abroad, to Dominican Republic, Mexico, Bahamas.

June 2, 1979: Goes to Poland for first time as pope, setting off sparks that help establish Solidarity, first independent labor movement in Soviet bloc.

May 13, 1981: Shot in abdomen by Turkish militant Mehmet Ali Agca in St. Peter's Square (search).

Sept. 15, 1982: Receives Palestine Liberation Organization leader Yasser Arafat (search) at Vatican, provoking criticism from Israel and Jewish groups.

April 13, 1986: Makes historic visit to Rome's main synagogue.

Dec. 1, 1989: Meets Mikhail Gorbachev at Vatican, first ever meeting between a pope and a Kremlin chief.

May 1, 1991: Issues first encyclical on social issues since fall of communism in Europe, giving qualified approval to capitalism but warning rich against taking advantage of poor.

July 15, 1992: Operation for benign tumor on colon. Leaves hospital July 28.

Sept. 4-10, 1993: Visits former Soviet Union for first time, traveling to Baltic countries of Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia.

Oct. 5, 1993: Issues encyclical "Splendor of Truth," his major statement on morality, cracking down on dissent.

Dec. 30, 1993: Agreement signed establishing formal ties between Israel and Vatican.

Oct. 19, 1994: Publishes his book, "Beyond the Threshold of Hope."

March 3, 1995: Issues encyclical "Gospel of Life," and condemns spreading "culture of death," including abortion, euthanasia, experimentation on human embryos.

March 10, 1997: Vatican establishes diplomatic relations with Libya, overriding U.S. objections.

Jan. 21-26, 1998: Visits Cuba for first time.

March 16, 1998: Vatican issues "We Remember: A Reflection on the Shoah," or Holocaust, expressing remorse for cowardice of some Christians during World War II but defending actions of wartime Pope Pius XII.

Oct. 19, 1998: Celebrates 20th anniversary as pope, asks for prayers to fulfill his mission "until the end."

Dec. 24, 1999: Ushers in Vatican millennium Jubilee year by opening Holy Door at St. Peter's Basilica.

March 20-26, 2000: Makes first trip to Holy Land. In note left at Jerusalem's Western Wall, expresses sorrow for suffering of Jews at Christian hands.

Sept. 3, 2000: Beatifies much-attacked Pope Pius IX and much-loved Pope John XXIII in one of most disputed acts of papacy.

May 4, 2001: Becomes first pope to visit Greece since Schism of 1054; issues sweeping apology for "sins of action and omission" by Roman Catholics against Orthodox Christians.

April 23, 2002: Summons U.S. cardinals to discuss sex abuse scandal, tells them there is no place in priesthood for clerics who abuse young.

May 17, 2003: Cardinal, in newspaper interview, confirms pope has Parkinson's disease.

June 5-9, 2003: Makes 100th foreign trip, visiting Croatia.

July 31, 2003: Vatican launches global campaign against gay marriages.

Aug. 15, 2004: Breathes heavily and gasps during open-air Mass at Lourdes, France.

Feb. 1, 2005: Rushed to Rome hospital with flu and difficulties breathing.

March 30, 2005: Given nasal feeding tube.

March 31, 2005: Develops high fever brought on by urinary infection.

April 1, 2005: Vatican announces pope is in "very serious" condition after suffering heart failure.

Gramajo320
unregistered

Yes we need to pray for the pope also for his health is failing at a very rapid rate.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Ripp
unregistered

They are reporting a very high fever and possible heart problems.

[Prayer]

Ripp
unregistered

quote:
VATICAN CITY (CNN) -- Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thursday night as his health deteriorated, a Vatican source has told CNN.
Vatican source: Pope given last rites

Very sad day. Let's keep him in our prayers as well. [Frown]

God bless. [Bible] [Cross] [Prayer]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement