Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Pastor draws the line in editorial cartoons

Author Topic: Pastor draws the line in editorial cartoons
evanoff
Advanced Member
Member # 4176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evanoff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pastor draws the line in editorial cartoons
By Jon Ward

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
From the Metropolitan section

NEW BALTIMORE, Va. -- Dick Wright is a nationally syndicated award-winning cartoonist who isn't afraid to poke fun at lawmakers and world leaders on the editorial pages of hundreds of newspapers across the country.

But in this rapidly growing community in Fauquier County, Mr. Wright, 60, is known as senior pastor at the interdenominational Community Christian Fellowship, who preaches the word of God in ways his parishioners say they can relate to.

Mr. Wright said his many years of drawing cartoons have helped his preaching. His work has appeared in nearly 400 newspapers.

"I use those creative abilities I've got in my messages," he said. "In a way all these years of drawing cartoons was a form of preparation for producing spiritual messages. ... One is political, and one is spiritual, but it's the same process."

Members of his congregation say Mr. Wright makes religion easy to understand.

"I can relate to him," said John Lerch, 45, of Gainesville, Va. "He's been in the business world all his life. ... He talks plainly. He doesn't talk too theologically. It's refreshing."

Mr. Wright, who lives in Warrenton, founded Community Christian Fellowship in 1999, when the church he was attending at the time split. He said one day while sitting at his drawing board, he received a message from God.

"God had more for me to do," he said.

Mr. Wright, who has drawn cartoons for newspapers since 1974, did not attend a seminary and did not undergo any formal pastoral training. But that really didn't matter. One by one, the worshippers came.

Continue story at:
http://insider.washingtontimes.com/articles/normal.php?StoryID=20050102-124502-2560r

--------------------
Lisa Evanoff
Publisher
Christian Activism News
ChristianActivism-subscribe@topica.com

Posts: 63 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement