Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » School Bus Driver Bumped For Protest Fliers

Author Topic: School Bus Driver Bumped For Protest Fliers
evanoff
Advanced Member
Member # 4176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evanoff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
School Bus Driver Bumped For Protest Fliers
Driver, Mother Objects To 'Anti-Christ' Song

CHICAGO -- A suburban school bus driver claims she was pulled from her route because she objected to an "anti-Christ" song listed in the school's holiday program.

The Herald News reported Friday that Plainfield's Central School officials say the driver was taken off the route because she passed out unauthorized fliers along her route criticizing the program.

Carmen Brown said she was reprimanded by the First Student Bus Company for handing out unapproved fliers she had made up encouraging people to boycott the school's holiday program because it included the song, "I Hate This Holiday."

Brown, who has a son in Central's third grade class, said she passed out the fliers on Monday as she drove her route. On Tuesday afternoon, her supervisor informed her that school Superintendent John Harper had asked that she be taken off the Plainfield bus route.

"They took my school bus job away from me because I protested my child singing an anti-Christ song," Brown told the newspaper.

Brown said First Student did not, in fact, fire her, but offered her a choice of available bus routes which were too far away for her to be able to get home when her son gets home from school.

"I'm a churchgoer. I believe in Jesus and believe Christmas is a Christian holiday," she's quoted as saying. "But when they hand my child a piece of paper to learn a song that says, 'I hate the holidays and everything it stands for,' my son is confused."

Central School Principal Linda DiLeo said the song was not inappropriate in the context of the play the students presented.

"We have Jewish children, we have children who celebrated Ramadan a couple weeks ago," DiLeo said. "We take into account that we aren't all celebrating the same holiday and try to put on programs that everyone can celebrate."

"I am furious that they took my job," said Brown, who stood outside the school Thursday handing out protest fliers.

The Herald reported that Harper said the decision to pull Brown off the bus route had to do with her handing out fliers that were not approved first.

Continue story here:
http://www.nbc5.com/education/4006771/detail.html

--------------------
Lisa Evanoff
Publisher
Christian Activism News
ChristianActivism-subscribe@topica.com

Posts: 63 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement