Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » pope on Communion

Author Topic: pope on Communion
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And one more time [Bang Head]

Oh those pesky Catholics......so close...but yet so far. When are they going to realize that the only way to heaven, is through a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ? Romans 3:23 says "For ALL have sinned, and come short of the glory of God".
This is the reason why Jesus came in the first place. Religion wont save you, burning a bull or a ram on an altar wont save you....and heaven forbid, the pope wont save you or his man made rules....only the saving blood of the Lord Jesus Christ will save a person.
The moment we accepted Jesus into our hearts as Lord and savior, ALL...I repeat...ALL of our sins were wiped away. That includes divorce. It's under the blood. I was married a long time ago before I got saved. I got divorced a long time ago before I got saved. I'm about to get married to a good Christian woman now. Am I on my way to hell for this? NO WAY!!! I am washed in the blood of the lamb.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Catholicious   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by wparr:
wparr, Perhaps you do not understand scripture,

WRONG Catholicious, I read and under stand scriture.

Then why do you insist that committing adultery unrepentently is NOT a sin. A necessary element in God forgiving you your sins is repentence. Ultimately however, He is the judge.

You are the one with the problem, you let other flawed men interpet scriture for you and treat their interpetation as gospel.

I am sorry to have offended thee, I seek only to follow the Lord. The Church and her interpretations guided by the Holy Spirit came directly from JESUS CHRIST and His Apostles. The Apostles who learned DIRECTLY from CHRIST passed on their understanding to those early Christians known as the early Church fathers. Some of them like St. Ignatius and St. Polycarp for example learned directly St. John the Evangelist. I trust those interpretations passed down from CHRIST, not those of man.

Acts 8:30-31
30 Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?"
31 And he said, "Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

2 Thessalonians 2:15
15 So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

1 Timothy 3:15
15 But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar
and foundation of truth.

2 Peter 1:20
20 Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation,

2 Peter 3:16
16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

I go to God and ask for His Holy Spirit to give me discrnment and interpetation.

Lets see who do I trust more the pope (a flawed man like me) or God as the Holy Spirit? daaa, that's a no brainer for me. God wins

I do not entrust my salvation to the Pope, if you suggest this about Catholics you are in error, CHRIST alone saves us. The Pope holds the position of universal shepard of CHRIST's Church, a position entrusted to him by CHRIST Himself [Mt 16:18-19]. He has the authority only because JESUS deemed it so.

[Cross] [Bible] [Prayer]

--------------------
Acts 20:29-30 (NAB)
29 I know that after my departure savage wolves will come among you, and they will not spare the flock.
30 And from your own group, men will come forward perverting the truth to draw the disciples away after them.

1 Peter 3:15-16 (RSV)
15 but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence;
16 and keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are abused, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

Matthew 5:11 (KJV)
5 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

Posts: 188 | From: Midwest USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Why is every second topic centered around Catholicism?
Primoa 1970 said it well:

Oh those pesky Catholics......so close...but yet so far. When are they going to realize that the only way to heaven, is through a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ? Romans 3:23 says "For ALL have sinned, and come short of the glory of God".
This is the reason why Jesus came in the first place. Religion wont save you, burning a bull or a ram on an altar wont save you....and heaven forbid, the pope wont save you or his man made rules....only the saving blood of the Lord Jesus Christ will save a person.
The moment we accepted Jesus into our hearts as Lord and savior, ALL...I repeat...ALL of our sins were wiped away. That includes divorce. It's under the blood. I was married a long time ago before I got saved. I got divorced a long time ago before I got saved. I'm about to get married to a good Christian woman now. Am I on my way to hell for this? NO WAY!!! I am washed in the blood of the lamb.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Catholicious   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by wparr:
Where in scripture does it say that remarrying after divorce is not forgiveable? It doesn't, thats man's rule, not God's. I am not saying divorce is ok, I'm saying God forgave.

I do not claim to be an expert on "Christian morality", all I can say is if scripture states that having relations with another person while being married (the marriage bond through God cannot be dissolved) is considered adultery, and adultery is a sin against the Ten Commandments, and a mortal sin (a sin unto death).

Live I said according to man's traditon a priest can be a child molester, or a homosexual and give communion, but someone divorced and remarried can't receive Communion.

A pastor living that sort of life is living in the state of grave sin. He should repent and end his evil ways by correcting the offending situation. One cannot be truly repentent if he makes no effort to rectify the situation.

One does not need to be in the state of grace to dispense the Eucharist, but that is the requirement for receiving it.

I agree that it is horrible that someone with such a holy calling could commit such acts of evil. Satan is everywhere seeking to infiltrate the Church wherever he can, but he will not prevail against the Church. This problem is everywhere and no denomination is immune from it. It just speaks to the level of evil that is in society today.

Which is worse in God's view 1.) a priest who claims to be "a man of God" and sexually abuses children in his care. or 2.) someone who gets divorced, then gets married again.

GOD alone is the judge, only He can know the answer to your question. Both are sinful acts according to scripture.

[i]Matthew 7:1 (KJV)
1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. [/b]

Thats the problem with men making the rules instead of following what God said, ALL MEN ARE FLAWED.

I agree, it is not good to follow the "traditions of men", one should follow GOD.

--------------------
29 I know that after my departure savage wolves will come among you, and they will not spare the flock.
30 And from your own group, men will come forward perverting the truth to draw the disciples away after them.

15 but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence;
16 and keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are abused, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

5 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

Posts: 188 | From: Midwest USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primoa1970
Advanced Member
Member # 1016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primoa1970     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Posts: 639 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wparr, Perhaps you do not understand scripture,

WRONG Catholicious, I read and under stand scriture. You are the one with the problem, you let other flawed men interpet scriture for you and treat their interpetation as gospel. I go to God and ask for His Holy Spirit to give me discrnment and interpetation.

Lets see who do I trust more the pope (a flawed man like me) or God as the Holy Spirit? daaa, that's a no brainer for me. God wins

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where in scripture does it say that remarrying after divorce is not forgiveable? It doesn't, thats man's rule, not God's. I am not saying divorce is ok, I'm saying God forgave.

Live I said according to man's traditon a priest can be a child molester, or a homosexual and give communion, but someone divorced and remarried can't receive Communion.

Which is worse in God's view 1.) a priest who claims to be "a man of God" and sexually abuses children in his care. or 2.) someone who gets divorced, then gets married again.

Thats the problem with men making the rules instead of following what God said, ALL MEN ARE FLAWED.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

Gary,

I understand that this is a very hard teaching to swallow since many, many people are divorced. What is the statistic, something like 50% of all marriages will end in divorce?

Yes one should approach the Eucharist in the state of grace meaning that their sins have been forgiven them by God. This act of adultery is not a one-time act or even an occasional act, it is an conscience, ongoing act whose sin prevents us from being filled with GOD's grace, just like any sin against GOD.

You could ask the LORD for forgiveness every week before receiving the our Lord in the Eucharist but you must also repent, but you are not being repentent if you choose not to correct the situation and continue in sin.

One solution "I believe" (not sure) would be for the couple engaging in adultery to conduct their relationship as plutonic friends or as brother and sister so that adultery is NOT committed.

The Church does not FORBID divorce but it does not allow remarriage, that is where the adultery lies. Hope this helps!

[Cross] [Bible] [Prayer]

--------------------

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup" (1 Cor. 11:27–28).
It says, "Let a man examine himself..." It doesn't say let the Church examine him. God sees the heart, the church can't. If a person takes communion unworthily it is between him and God. Man can only judge as he sees and hears, and so his judgement can be faulty; he can condemn the innocent. But God knows the heart of man perfectly, and there is no mistake in His judgement.

Communion is for us, the forgiven people of God. It is not solely the property of the RCC to dispense as it sees fit.

Gary

--------------------
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23 NASB

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Primoa is right.

We're all sinners. If sinners can't take communion, then nobody can.

God forgives sins if we repent and turn to Him in faith. Marriage is an important covenant and God doesn't want us to break that covenant, which makes divorce a sin, that's true. But all sins are sins, and all sins can be forgiven, except for a complete and final rejection of Christ.

The pope and the RCC is wrong on this issue.

Gary

--------------------
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23 NASB

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primoa1970
Advanced Member
Member # 1016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primoa1970     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...but sin is sin....and it's ALL been put under the blood of Jesus.
"If you confess your sins...He is faithfull and just to forgive us of our sins".

--------------------
1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Posts: 639 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catholicious
Advanced Member
Member # 726

wparr,

Perhaps you do not understand scripture, GOD expresses his disdain for divorce QUITE clearly ... the Pope is merely following what scripture teaches us.

[... God hates divorce.]

Malachi 2:14-16 (KJV)
14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.
15 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

[... Don't divorce.]

1 Corinthians 7:10-11 (KJV)
10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

[JESUS prohibits divorce.]

Matthew 5:32-33 (KJV)
32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery:
and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord
thine oaths:

Matthew 19:4-6, 9 (KJV)
4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Mark 10:11-12
11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Luke 16:18 (KJV)
18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from
her husband committeth adultery.

[Divorce is adultery and thus breaks one of The Ten Commandments.]

Exodus 20:14 (KJV)
14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Deuteronomy 5:18 (KJV)
18 Neither shalt thou commit adultery.

1 Corinthians 11:23-30 (KJV)
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye,
as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

Catholics and Communion

The Holy Eucharist is the most important of the seven sacraments because, in this and in no other sacrament, we receive the very body and blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ. Innumerable, precious graces come to us through the reception of Holy Communion.

The Church sets out specific guidelines regarding how we should prepare ourselves to receive the Lord’s body and blood in Communion. To receive
Communion worthily, you must be in a state of grace, have made a good confession since your last mortal sin, believe in transubstantiation, observe the Eucharistic fast, and, finally, not be under an ecclesiastical censure such as excommunication. First, you must be in a state of grace. "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup" (1 Cor. 11:27–28). This is an absolute requirement which can never be dispensed. To receive the Eucharist without sanctifying grace in your soul profanes the Eucharist in the most grievous manner. A mortal sin is any sin whose matter is grave and which has been committed willfully and with knowledge of its seriousness. Grave matter includes, but is not limited to, murder, receiving or participating in an abortion, homosexual acts, having sexual intercourse outside of marriage or in an invalid marriage, and deliberately engaging in impure thoughts (Matt. 5:28–29). Scripture contains lists of mortal sins (for example, 1 Cor. 6:9–10 and Gal. 5:19–21).

Matthew 5:28-29 (KJV)
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should
perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (KJV)
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor
adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19-21 (KJV)
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

For further information on what constitutes a mortal sin, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

[Cross] [Bible] [Prayer]

--------------------

Peace and God Bless!
Catholicious

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 4 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw on CNN today that the pope is not allowing people who are divorced and remarried to have Communion.

A priest can be a child molester, or a homosexual and give communion, but someone divorced and remarried can't receive Communion.

Is this God's view? I don't think so.

Is someone can't take communion, that means they have no fellowship, which means they are not viewed as brothers and sisters In Christ, which means the pope views them as not saved.

Is this God's view? I don't think so.

When I read the Bible, I see Christ died for ALL our sins. I guess the pope must have a different version that adds "except divorce"

Is the pope speaking for God? NO WAY!

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement