Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Someone Buy Me a Bomb Shelter, Eh?

Author Topic: Someone Buy Me a Bomb Shelter, Eh?
forgiven
Community Member
Member # 2828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forgiven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

This means that we should not be worldly. We should be set apart and we should not be materialistic. If we love things then we cannot be love the Father.

That does not mean that we should not care for the world and the good things that God has made. We just shouldn't get attached to them.

By taking the view we can pollute and do as we like to the planet, we are doing the opposite of what God wants. We are getting attached to material goods that are creating the problem. If we are consumers and materialistic we cannot love God either.

Love of God is shown by total obedience to Him. It means that we should respect what He has done and what He has made. How can you show respect and love by defiling His works?

--------------------
"I believe that every particle of dust that dances in the sunbeam does not move an atom more or less than God wishes"--Charles Spurgeon

Posts: 12 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
forgiven
Community Member
Member # 2828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forgiven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read this same article a few days ago. I was not shocked. The planet was made to be in balance. God made everything perfect. We have corrupted our environment and thrown out the natural checks and balances.

The bible talks about climatic change and natural disasters in the end times. It also talks about wars and nations against each other. Maybe the report writer has been reading his bible.
[Smile]

The fact that the bible predicts all of this does not mean that we should ignore things and not care.

Some of the responses indicate a total disregard for human suffering and for our planet. This strikes me as an unChristian attitude. Jesus was never smugly indifferent to suffering.

Some people have seemed to take a fatalistic approach. Oh well, it's going to happen so let it come. This is an Islamic view of things.

The indifference here astounds me. We cannot hasten the Lord's coming by acting or not acting. That will happen at a time of His choosing, not ours.

In the meantime, we should be a light unto this world. We should not be numb to what is happening around us. We should alleviate suffering and do what we can to get others to turn their eyes toward Jesus.

By acting properly we will set a good example and others will see Jesus through us. I sometimes feel that we make our work doubly difficult for ourselves, by not being caring enough and by not being different enough from the general populace.

I am active on several non-Christian boards. There are a lot of damaged people out there who have been turned off religion by smug indifference and hypocrisy. We need to reach out to these people and show them that we care and that we are different.

We cannot do that by gas guzzling, water wasting, garbage producing and war mongering people who don't care. We are to be set apart. We should stand up for what is right. We should not be part of the problem.

Sometimes I cannot believe what I read. Yes, we want Jesus to come. Yes, we hope that it is soon. Yes, we want to be among His saints. Where does it say that we should sit and do nothing in the mean time?

This report is not necessarily correct, but it should get us to pause and reflect about our own habits. It should get us into action to be on the side that God would want us on.

Christians are supposed to be unpopular in the last days. We are disliked because we stand out, not because we closet ourselves and do nothing. We should be radicals. We should be passionate in our love of the planet that God made and about our fellow man, whom we are to love.

BTW, I am Canadian and we are sitting on over 1/4 of the earth's fresh water. The implications of this report for us are huge.

I hope that we will share, but it will come with strings attached. People will have to change their ways and conserve this resource in order to obtain water. If the U.S. does not sign the Kyoto accord then we will be disinclined to share. We are willing to make sacrifices and others should to.

Exporting water has been widely discussed by federal and provincial governments. The U.S. has petitioned Canada to export water. Our reponse has always been no. We would not want to make the problem worse by giving it to people who will waste it when people in other parts of the world will need it to survive. Canadians are as bad as Americans with regard to wasting water, so don't accuse me of bias.

Agriculture is a huge industry in both Canada and the U.S. Climatic change will have a serious impact on farming, the food supply and our lifestyles.

Health concerns related to changes in the environment are likely to touch all of our lives. Seniors are sensitive to extreme cold and heat. They will die in greater numbers as a result of climatic change. Respiratory complaints and allergies will continue to rise. Cancers will continue to kill. As we find a cure for one disease another one rises to take its place.

No one likes the prospect of having more wars. I hope that people are also concerned about loss of personal freedoms as controls will be put into place to keep out the refugees. The seige mentality that exists today is already limiting personal freedom. People are accepting of the current levels, but how far are they willing to go?

I am excited by the prospect of Jesus' return. Every generation has felt that it will come soon. How many opportunities have we lost over the years by waiting and doing nothing?

--------------------
"I believe that every particle of dust that dances in the sunbeam does not move an atom more or less than God wishes"--Charles Spurgeon

Posts: 12 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
REV 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

[dance] [dance] [dance] [dance] [dance] [dance]

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you didn't read my post - huh? [Frown]

And Daniel - I'm rejoicing with ya Brother! [Wink]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Finally, are you entitled to mourn for this civilization? Sure thing. Go ahead and mourn if you want, but it makes about as much sense to me as mourning for the loss of cancer, or the loss of sin and imperfection in general.
I can not believe how much contepmt for the human race some of you have. Cancer?

You would rather God destroy evreything than pray to him and ask him to spare the world? God listens to prayers, does he not? YOU know where you're going when you die. Why do you want to see such a fate befall the entire human race? that is what I don't understand.

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave.

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niedziejkore:
Again, I think that's self centered thinking that YOU will be happy in heaven with god, while the rest of the human race suffers.

Why is it that evrey other Christian I meet is convinced they're going to see the rapture in their lifetime? Are they too impatient to wait a few years for their loved ones to die and come to heaven?

I mean, am I not entitled to mourn for this great civilization?

Let's take this one bit at a time, shall we?

First, I guess I hit the "quote" button rather than the "edit" button up in that second post of mine. My appologies to all.

Second, why is it self-centered for me to be happy in the Lord. It's not like I am alone in my joy. Whether He comes today or a thousand years from now, I am happy knowing that every day His coming is closer. Besides, it was you who brought up the "end of the world doom-and-gloom" scenario; I stated my doubts about your so-called news story's credibility. If it is self-centered to believe the Bible and express my joy at Christ's return, then I suggest to you that you have a faulty perception of self-centered. I am proclaiming the Gospel of Christ and encouraging the world to join me in eternity; that's Christ-centered, living for Christ.

Third, you asked, "Why is it that evrey other Christian I meet is convinced they're going to see the rapture in their lifetime?" Maybe because we have a living faith? Granted, I don't know if it will be in my life-time, but then again, I don't care because I know it will happen. I would actually prefer if it came right now. I'm not impatient, but it would be nice for my family did not have to face the fear of death or the separation from a loved one who has died. Many Christians don't believe in the rapture at all, but they believe in Christ's return. Let's meet in heaven and compare notes, OK?
Finally, are you entitled to mourn for this civilization? Sure thing. Go ahead and mourn if you want, but it makes about as much sense to me as mourning for the loss of cancer, or the loss of sin and imperfection in general.

--------------------
The Lord bless you indeed.
http://www.First-EMC.org (shameless self promotion)

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Again, I think that's self centered thinking that YOU will be happy in heaven with god, while the rest of the human race suffers.

Why is it that evrey other Christian I meet is convinced they're going to see the rapture in their lifetime? Are they too impatient to wait a few years for their loved ones to die and come to heaven?

First, it's not self-centered to want to be with God. Did you forget the Great Commission? Go and Make Disciples of All Nations (men/women). Now, if we're True to what we've been told to do, then those who Listen and Obey God's Words will also Rejoice in Heaven. How is that self-centered? We're to Preach the Gospel to the whole world. Every individual has a choice to make. We do what we can to meet the physical needs of those who are poor, orphaned, widowed... but most importantly, we share Jesus with them so they too can have Eternal Life with Him.

As for the Rapture, we believe it will be in our lifetime because the signs of HIS Second Coming are increasing and coming closer together (as a woman having childbirth pains) just as the Bible says. We're told to watch and when we see these things happening, to look up, for our redemption draws near.

As for this 'great civilization' it's not great in God's eyes! The life that awaits the True Believer is Great beyond imagination and I can't understand why anyone would not want to be a part of it?

We all have a choice to make. Our Eternal Destination depends on our choice. What choice will you make?

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the destruction of all life on earth would be a waste.

Neverthe less, it belongs to God. He can do with it what he pleases. And He will. What you or I think about that is of very little consequence.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH NO!

The environment is gonna go belly up and the whole world is going to die before Jesus ever has a chance to come back!

I might as well toss my Bible in the garbage can; it's obvious that it isn't true.

(On second thought, I think I'll keep my Bible and ignore the Chicken Little "scientists". Yes we should be good stewards of the earth. But don't be wackos. There's no "Mother Earth" in the Trinity.)

Gary

--------------------
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23 NASB

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niedziejkore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away

Posts: 346 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel S   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel S:
quote:
Unfortunately i'm not as self centered as that. I not only care about what happens to me in the afterlife, but also about what happens to all living people, sinners and saints.

What happens to me when I die is not my primary concern, as i have compassion for all who live on this planet, I do what I can to help others and not worry about the afterlife. I think the destruction of all life on earth would be a waste.

Self-centered? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that, but in the mean time, if you believe in God's word then you know that the destruction of the Earth is inevitable; I look forward to it because it means that so many of those I love will be rejoicing round the Throne of God.

Having said that, consider the source of your article - The Observer? Certainly one of Britain's finest rags. It has all the reliability of Star and The National Enquirer. I wonder if that particular issue also included a story speculating about Prince William's sexual life and how the Queen Mum clacked out coded messages to the French resistance with her dentures...

--------------------

Posts: 436 | From: on the Ohio River | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel S
Advanced Member
Member # 1714

quote:
Unfortunately i'm not as self centered as that. I not only care about what happens to me in the afterlife, but also about what happens to all living people, sinners and saints.

What happens to me when I die is not my primary concern, as i have compassion for all who live on this planet, I do what I can to help others and not worry about the afterlife. I think the destruction of all life on earth would be a waste.

Self-centered? Hmmm, I'll have to think about that, but in the mean time, if you believe in God's word then you know that the destruction of the Earth is inevitable; I look forward to it because it means that so many of those I love will be rejoicing round the Throne of God. Having said that, consider the source of your article - The Observer? Certainly one of Britain's finest rags. It has all the reliability of Star and The National Inquirer. I wonder if that particular issue also included a story speculating about Prince William's sexual life and how the Queen Mum clacked out codded messages to the French resistance with her dentures...

--------------------

Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 18 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niedziejkore

Do you believe that Jesus was God in the Flesh, Born of a virgin, the Savior of Mankind and that He died on the cross in your place so your sins could be forgiven? Do you believe that he rose again? Have you accepted His sacrifice as payment for your debt, accepted Him into your heart, given your life to Him and follow God's written word (the Bible)?

If you do and you have, then you needent worry about these things. Scary as they may be (if they're even true), God is in Control. Those who Love HIM and live for HIM - in accordance with HIS Written Word (as stated above) - will either be raised from the dead (given an incorruptable body) to Life Everlasting, or be changed in the twinkling of an eye into incorruptable bodies to Life Everlasting (if they're alive when ever the Rapture occurs).

If you don't and you haven't, I plead with you now to accept HIS Grace and give your life to HIM that you may know the peace that surpasses all understanding [Smile]

A Servant In Messiah's Love,
Debbie

--------------------

Niedziejkore
Advanced Member
Member # 2773

A secret report prepared by the Pentagon warns that climate change may lead to global catastrophe costing millions of lives and is a far greater threat than terrorism..

The report was ordered by an influential US Pentagon advisor but was covered up by "US defense chiefs" for four months, until it was "obtained" by the British weekly The Observer.

The leak promises to draw angry attention to US environmental and military policies, following Washington's rejection of the Kyoto Protocol on climate change and President George W. Bush's skepticism about global warning -- a stance that has stunned scientists worldwide.

The Pentagon report, commissioned by Andrew Marshall, predicts that "abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies," The Observer reported.

The report, quoted in the paper, concluded: "Disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life.... Once again, warfare would define human life."

Its authors -- Peter Schwartz, a CIA consultant and former head of planning at Royal Dutch/Shell Group, and Doug Randall of Global Business Network based in California -- said climate change should be considered "immediately" as a top political and military issue.

It "should be elevated beyond a scientific debate to a US national security concern", they were quoted as saying.

Some examples given of probable scenarios in the dramatic report include:

-- Britain will have winters similar to those in current-day Siberia as European temperatures drop off radically by 2020.

-- by 2007 violent storms will make large parts of the Netherlands uninhabitable and lead to a breach in the acqueduct system in California that supplies all water to densely populated southern California

-- Europe and the United States become "virtual fortresses" trying to keep out millions of migrants whose homelands have been wiped out by rising sea levels or made unfarmable by drought.

-- "catastrophic" shortages of potable water and energy will lead to widespread war by 2020.

Randall, one of the authors, called his findings "depressing stuff" and warned that it might even be too late to prevent future disasters.

"We don't know exactly where we are in the process. It could start tomorrow and we would not know for another five years," he told the paper.

Experts familiar with the report told the newspaper that the threat to global stability "vastly eclipses that of terrorism."

Taking environmental pollution and climate change into account in political and military strategy is a new, complicated and necessary challenge for leaders, Randall said.

"It is a national security threat that is unique because there is no enemy to point your guns at and we have no control over the threat," he said.

Coming from the Pentagon, normally a bastion of conservative politics, the report is expected to bring environmental issues to the fore in the US presidential race.

Last week the Union of Concerned Scientists, an influential and non-partisan group that includes 20 Nobel laureates, accused the Bush administration of having deliberately distorted scientific fact to serve its policy agenda and having "misled the public".

Its 38-page report, which it said took over a year to prepare and was not time to coincide with the campaign season, details how Washington "systematically" skewed government scientific studies, suppressed others, stacked panels with political and unqualified appointees and often refused to seek independent expertise on issues.

Critics of the report quoted by the New York Times denied there was deliberate misrepresentation and called it politically motivated.

The person behind the leaked Pentagon report, Andrew Marsall, cannot be accused of the same partisan politicking.

Marsall, 82, has been an advisor for the defense department for decades, and was described by The Observer as the author of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's plans for a major transformation of the US military.

Source

--------------------
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement