Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » It Takes A Brave Man To Bring About Change

Author Topic: It Takes A Brave Man To Bring About Change
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mister Handy...I still don't know why people with dark skin call themselves African-American.

Furthermore, I have not heard one single black person tell why they voted for Obama, not one.
I am talking about meaningful reasons to vote for him, not that he is nice and has a nice family and they believe in him. I have listened to and even done my own interviewing. Nothin !

If it sounds like I am against blacks, I am NOT.
I suppose that I have plenty of reasons to be but I am not.

That is a sad story about the problems this pastor had. It is hard to believe that there isn't more to the story but not impossible. There are some pretty sorry folks out there.

Another thing I heard said a lot during the campaign was "God is in control" or "Well, you Republicans don't understand". However, the Republicans had reasons for voting for McCain. We didn't have many exciting reasons but reasons.
God is in control but that is over used. God will take care of the situations..on His time.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ministerhandy12
Community Member
Member # 7039

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Ministerhandy12   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As President-Elect, Barack Obama, prepares for his historical transition to be the first African-American President of The United States of America, his rise to the Presidency centered around one powerful word: Change. Not the change that goes in your pocket, but the change that removes the ignorance and abuse of power on our land, protecting individuals federally within the powers of our United States Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Normally, the laws apply to all states, including Louisiana. However, this firebombing case is a clear exception to abuse of power in Monroe, Louisiana as well as the sad loss of one man’s goal to become city Marshal.

In Louisiana a young African-America Minister by the name of Christopher Handy continues his fight for change in his community despite the circumstance he has faced in the last year. First, he was wrongfully terminated from his job as mentor coordinator for a at-risk youth mentoring program for the Monroe City Court, which he held for over six years, secondly he was threaten and intimated not run for City Marshal, thirdly his campaign came under attacks by unknown sources and his home was firebomb and the end result he lost the election.

Handy troubles begin in the fall of 2007, while working as a part-time volunteer weekly columnist for a small local community paper called the Monroe Dispatch. One of his weekly articles he submitted titled "Why Are Black People So Ignorant?” caused an uproar. Handy said his reason he wrote the article was to raise the awareness and consciousness of blacks everywhere to the horrible conditions, which currently exist within the Black Community. Handy said he wanted to inspire people to make wise decisions when selecting people to represent them.

Handy said this article which was not aimed at any certain person or group of people; but his employers the Judges and the administrative staff at the Monroe City Court did not see it that way. They took offense and in retribution for the article the Judges and Administrative staff at Monroe City Court terminated his successful mentoring program and his job. There was no investigation into his firing or the termination of the mentoring program nor was there any outcry from the community, community leaders, nor was anything done for the 108 youths which were in his mentor program at the time.

Handy said in his effort to re-start the mentoring program and create a youth academy, he decided to run for City Marshal against the current black incumbent, in which he felt he could bring about needed change within the community and reclaim those youths left behind from the termination of the mentoring program. However, his troubles began when the news of his candidacy leaked out before he was prepared to announce it, leading to his opponent calling him over the phone on June 10th and threatening him to not run. According Handy his opponent stated he had a file that he would produce that would destroy him and that he would be sorry if he continued his campaign. Although Handy recorded the message on tape and played it for the media and law enforcement officials, however no investigation was conducted.

On July 2, 2008 on his 42nd birthday, Handy officially announced his candidacy to seek the office of Monroe City Marshal. However, earlier that morning the attacks had already begun with his vehicle vandalized with eggs and two of his large political signs destroyed around town. The worst incident came on the morning of July 14, 2008 where his home was firebombed with his family and him inside. The family was awaken at 3:30 a.m. to a loud thumb sound, which turned out to be a accelerant bomb thrown at the front door leading into Handy home. The family escaped unharmed but the home was severely damaged by the fire and smoke. The estimated damage as a result of the firebombing as of date including all expenses is well over $78,000.

Handy said he and his family were forced to live in a hotel because their home was unlivable from July 14, 2008 until October 10, 2008. At which time The Nation of Islam came forward and provided Handy and his family with 24 hours security. Handy said he then began to carry a weapon himself for protection. Handy said after the fire ugly rumors circulated throughout the community by his opponent and his staff, that he had set the fire himself to win the election. Handy denied all such charges and said he would never do anything to endanger the life of his family, or to destroy his home. Handy later took a polygraph test and passed it, but his opponent never did take the test. The Louisiana State Fire Marshal concluded that the fire was arson and that it was still under investigation.

On Saturday, October 4, 2008 election night, Handy lost the election only getting 31% percent of the vote cast and his opponent with 69%, there was only 9,000 total votes cast that day. Handy said the sad thing is not that he lost the election but that the whole city turned on him and his family. Handy further stated not one Pastor, Politician, Civic Leader, or anyone from the Christian community came to his aid. Handy said it seems that no one cared whether we lived or died or asked him why he was running. He said no one even cares there need to be much needed changes within the community. Handy said after he had sacrificed so much and gave his all to his community he was deeply hurt of the low support he received.
Handy said at that point he decided to submit his story to get some national media attention and support for his cause. Handy says he feels his story could be made into a film to share with the world. Handy said he hopes those reading his story and who thirst for justice would come forward and help him get his story out to the world.

Christopher Handy

Home: 318-343-6297
Cell: 318-280-6110

http://www.revchristopherhandy.com

News Links:
http://www.knoe.com/Global/story.asp?S=8694414

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=8685111&nav=menu50_8

Posts: 8 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement