Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » What ARE the really BIG decisions?

Author Topic: What ARE the really BIG decisions?
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's only the Holy Spirit that can enable us to rightly divide the word. We've gotta eat the word so that it's a part of us, then the Holy Spirit brings it to remembrance for the appropriate time and situation. We also have a tendency to forget, so we must continually refresh our knowledge of His word. In addition, while re-reading His word, the Holy Spirit has opportunity to reveal new meanings to us.

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnowHim:
Scriptural Or Dispensational?
http://www.jesusclips.com/view_video.php?viewkey=1ebb5d6ec52986674b6e

Thanks KnowHim, that was very informative! [thumbsup2]

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apilgrim2   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW!!

At first I thought you might be questioning the validity of my posting, suggesting that perhaps "dispensational" is not Scriptural. But after watching the video file I see that, unless I am utterly and completely DAFT (which I certainly have the capacity to be), I believe you are not.

All Scripture is given for us, but not all Scripture is about us! Try the things that differ!

2Ti 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Failure to rightly divide Scripture leads many into confusion at the very least, and error upon error as they try to follow one set of Scriptural instructions combined with others that clearly speak to other believers at other times under different oikonomia (economies or dispensations).

But by reading the address on the envelope, applying Scriptures to those to whom they are addressed, the lights begin to go on as never before and the believer's hope can be clearly seen as never before!

apilgrim2

--------------------
"Relativity applies to physics, NOT ethics." - A. Einstein

Posts: 49 | From: Sacramento California | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 17 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by apilgrim2:
Where to begin.

I am compelled to be careful when I encounter a Christian believer with whom it is revealed I am at variance, whether in regard to understanding a single verse of Scripture or in the entire scope of the Bible. This is because (as I stated in one of the few other postings I have made on this board) each of us is given to gather from Scripture that which The Holy Spirit would have us to learn, and each of us is at our own particular stage of the process. We will perhaps never know this side of Glory just how much it is we have to learn, but I am thankful for that which the Spirit has revealed so far, not only to me, but to every believing Christian who is beloved of the LORD.

The scope of your response to what I now see as an ill-conceived and poorly executed posting on my part, and although I have received it in Christian love, resembles a sledgehammer being used to swat a fly. I gather you disagree with my assertion to Billy, which is evident not only by the content but by the sheer volume of your response posting. It seems to me, however, that the hammer, particularly with regard to Mr. Woodward's writings, is cast in a crucible of error.

I say this because that while the author you quote at length has supplied MANY verses of Scripture to support the points he has set out to validate, he fails utterly to discern the differences between the dispensations of Scripture as revealed when the admonishment of 2 Timothy 2:15, which is to rightly divide the Word of Truth, is applied.

I am an Acts 28 dispensationalist who has wandered onto a posting board where the terms "rightly divided" themselves are used in a few postings, many participants are perhaps unfamiliar with the meaning of the Word rightly divided, or with the concept of dispensational truth.

The gulf between our approaches to the Scriptures is wide indeed.

I would ask but three questions before I exit the Christian BBS posting board, which are found in the context of the following verse:

Act 26:16 "But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;"

Compared to the first purpose for the Lord's appearance to Paul on the road to Damascus as it is stated in the above verse:

1) what are the things Paul "hast seen", and;

2) what are those things "in the which I will appear unto thee", and;

3) why does The Lord differentiate?

This posting is made in the love of Christ Jesus our LORD; God bless and keep you always in His perfect care.

apilgrim2

Scriptural Or Dispensational?
http://www.jesusclips.com/view_video.php?viewkey=1ebb5d6ec52986674b6e

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
I do want both you and Billy to know I am aware that each of you has asked me several questions that I have not answered. I suspect that this has left Billy, in particular, feeling that I am either unwilling to, or simply cannot, answer them. Zeena, you may feel that way to a degree as well, but you are still willing to engage in posting exchanges with me despite your extensive participation in postings all around the board.

My desire is for God, of whom you are.

Genesis 18:1-8
And Jehovah appeared unto him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; and he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood over against him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself to the earth, and said, My lord, if now I have found favor in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant: let now a little water be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree: and I will fetch a morsel of bread, and strengthen ye your heart; after that ye shall pass on: forasmuch as ye are come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes. And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetched a calf tender and good, and gave it unto the servant; and he hasted to dress it. And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.

3 John 1:8
We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be fellowhelpers to the truth.

1 Peter 4:7-11
But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer. And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. Use hospitality one to another without grudging. As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

quote:
Thank you for your understanding, and for not being offended by what may be perceived as my failure to "bat the ball back".

Luke 7:23
And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

I've died to offense, we have Jesus to thank for that! [clap2]

Ephesians 1:3-6
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

quote:
I have not responded directly and immediately to your questions because unless one understands the foundation for a belief, he will more than likely reject the belief out of a lack of understanding of how it came to be.

Agreed. So, the foundation rests upon the teaching in those links and both a thorough understanding and revelation by the Spirit of God. Which is why He gave us His Word, so that we can come to know and be quickened to an understanding, receiving revelation from Him as we so walk, yes?

I am here, if our Father is Willing. [Smile]
[Though, I really wish there was a 'sitting pretty' graemlin! [happyhappy] ]

quote:
It's almost like two people from different countries who speak different languages, while trying to make sense of what each other has said.

There is that universal language on which we may rely. [Smile]

quote:
Often misunderstanding is the result, and one or both people will disconnect from the exchange.

Like Paul and Barnabas in Acts 15:39-40 [Confused]

quote:
My approach to the study of the Scriptures is strictly and exclusively the Word of God ITSELF, and it excludes the traditions of the denominations of men.

I've been born again for just a little over eight years. In that time I've gone through the Bible at least thirty times [mostly devotionals, but wholly the Word]. The first few times were in my own strength, until I was shown how futile it was to attempt to understand the Word of God in my own strength. Since then, I've relied on the Spirit of God to reveal it to me. I put down the Bible for nearly three years!!! [Eek!] In that time He bore me mighty Witness to the Truth of His Word in daily living and in abiding in Him.

quote:

It also recognizes that it is the Spirit that teaches us what we are ordained to know, and all the explanation in the world will be of no avail if the student is only interested in teachings that affirm what he already believes.

Yes, and not all Truth is for every man.

This is very wise teaching, and aptly timed, for I am to come under the tutialage of my teacher this very week! [1zhelp]

quote:
http://www.bibleunderstanding.com/twonatures.htm

So far from what I have born witness to with the Spirit of my God is a good, Godly website, full of understanding, Grace and plentious sound doctrine.

I've been reading this past hour on the 'next' pages from the link posted above. Right now I'm bookmarked at Chapter 3.

Thank you very much for the link, praise God!
I take it you have utilized this site as well, in the Holy Spirit?

quote:
May the Lord bless and keep you in His perfect care always.

apilgrim2

Always and forever! [spiny]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKeRQ80vHgs

--------------------

apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apilgrim2   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do want both you and Billy to know I am aware that each of you has asked me several questions that I have not answered. I suspect that this has left Billy, in particular, feeling that I am either unwilling to, or simply cannot, answer them. Zeena, you may feel that way to a degree as well, but you are still willing to engage in posting exchanges with me despite your extensive participation in postings all around the board.

Thank you for your understanding, and for not being offended by what may be perceived as my failure to "bat the ball back".

I have not responded directly and immediately to your questions because unless one understands the foundation for a belief, he will more than likely reject the belief out of a lack of understanding of how it came to be. It's almost like two people from different countries who speak different languages, while trying to make sense of what each other has said. Often misunderstanding is the result, and one or both people will disconnect from the exchange.

My approach to the study of the Scriptures is strictly and exclusively the Word of God ITSELF, and it excludes the traditions of the denominations of men. It also recognizes that it is the Spirit that teaches us what we are ordained to know, and all the explanation in the world will be of no avail if the student is only interested in teachings that affirm what he already believes.

http://www.bibleunderstanding.com/twonatures.htm

-May the Lord bless and keep you in His perfect care always.

apilgrim2

--------------------

Posts: 49 | From: Sacramento California | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Hello Zeena, Billy, (and those who participate and/or stop by to read). The spirit of your responses to my last posting made clear to me your own, as well as Billy's, desire to KNOW not only what you already believe, but what the Spirit would have you to know, even if it means considering what someone else has been shown without feeling compelled to rush in and "make right" the error of their receipt.

My dear brother Tim has more abundant Grace than I've ever seen!

I met him upon inviting a discipleship group to our home in order to learn, but learn I did not-haha!
For it was REST from my works that I found!
To bear witness to one abiding in Christ just blew me away! [rapture]

Isaiah 40:7
The grass withers and the flowers fall, because the breath of the LORD blows on them. Surely the people are grass.

quote:
I feel compelled to reply to you both. May I do so by way of this one posting?

Yes you may! [Big Grin]

Ephesians 6:7
with good will doing service, as unto the Lord, and not unto men:

quote:
Faith is a deeply personal matter, don't you agree?

Yes, I agree that it is personal, though not something to be hid. [Wink]

Matthew 5:14-17
Ye are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under the bushel, but on the stand; and it shineth unto all that are in the house. Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

quote:
And we must tread ever-so-gently when we assess another's views.

The Holy Spirit within us is ever so gentle, let us follow His promtings!

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some count slackness; but is longsuffering to you-ward, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

quote:
I believe we can all agree that we are here because we LOVE THE LORD and we would have the fellowship of others in THAT LOVE.

Fellowship, YES! For we are edified in bearing witness to the Living God! [clap2]

quote:
For this I give thanks and praise to HIM Who created all things and by Whom all things consist.

AMEN and Amen!

quote:
I was released from the hospital yesterday evening after nearly a week of witnessing the my own discomfort and that of others.

2 Corinthians 1:3-5
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort; who comforteth us in all our affliction, that we may be able to comfort them that are in any affliction, through the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound unto us, even so our comfort also aboundeth through Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Wherefore we faint not; but though our outward man is decaying, yet our inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is for the moment, worketh for us more and more exceedingly an eternal weight of glory; while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

quote:
Merciful LORD, the things I was given to see whilst I languished there!

2 Corinthians 1:6-7
But whether we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; or whether we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which worketh in the patient enduring of the same sufferings which we also suffer: and our hope for you is stedfast; knowing that, as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so also are ye of the comfort.

2 Corinthians 4:11-12
For we who live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So then death worketh in us, but life in you.

1 Corinthians 4-9-14 [My FAVORITE-I getta kick out of it EVERY time! AWW! I'm ALREADY at my maximum number of images, no more smilies for me!]
For, I think, God hath set forth us the apostles last of all, as men doomed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, both to angels and men. We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye have glory, but we have dishonor. Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwelling-place; and we toil, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure; being defamed, we entreat: we are made as the filth of the world, the offscouring of all things, even until now.

quote:
OOPS! I guess I clicked on "add reply" instead of "preview post", and so the full text of the reply I had intended was cut short.

To continue . . .

We could go on and on, back and forth, identifying the differences in our grasp of what Scripture says, and pointing out the errors of one's grasp of what Scripture means over another's grasp by writing text and supplying Scriptural references that support our own. I suspect, however, that such an approach would serve neither ourselves nor the Word of God in an effective manner because my entire approach to the study of the Word is expressed in a principle known as "Right Division", and it looks at God's Word in a manner I previously described as "dispensational truth".

I will check out the meaning first off, but this may take some time for me to get a chance to do..

quote:
I feel so utterly blessed because I was given friends in whose company I came to faith, and by whom I was exposed to these principles, this way of approaching God's Word, very early in my Christian life, and so I did not have a great deal to "unlearn".

I'm so happy for you! [wiggle7]

I'm already 'unlearning' a lot thanks to the right teaching of The Holy Spirit.

Not that I could ['unlearn'] if I tried, but that I do not want to take the Grace of God in vain..

quote:
With this in mind I offer links to the following documents which will provide information about these terms I have used:

http://www.bibleunderstanding.com/2tim2-15.htm

http://www.bibleunderstanding.com/dispensational.htm

Hrmm, a quick perusal says this is a serious subject in need of much attention! I will pray the Lord first to ask if this is His Will for me, and for Grace to walk, either way [Prayer]

Thank you for the links!!!

quote:
There is quite a bit of reading involved between these two articles, but they do provide a basic picture of the principles to which I have referred. I hope you will consider reading them.

ALL THAT is just 'basic'? [spiny]

How much more could there possibly be?!?

John 21:25
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that should be written.

quote:
Regardless of whether you do or not, I thank you for your Christian kindness and your willingness to discuss the Scriptures, and to receive my participation in the Love of God's Truth; the Word; the Lord Christ Jesus Who is the Head of that Body in which all those who were ordained before the overthrow of this world are members.

Thank you,

apilgrm2

And thank you! Praise God! [Kiss]

--------------------

apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

OOPS! I guess I clicked on "add reply" instead of "preview post", and so the full text of the reply I had intended was cut short.

To continue . . .

We could go on and on, back and forth, identifying the differences in our grasp of what Scripture says, and pointing out the errors of one's grasp of what Scripture means over another's grasp by writing text and supplying Scriptural references that support our own. I suspect, however, that such an approach would serve neither ourselves nor the Word of God in an effective manner because my entire approach to the study of the Word is expressed in a principle known as "Right Division", and it looks at God's Word in a manner I previously described as "dispensational truth".

I feel so utterly blessed because I was given friends in whose company I came to faith, and by whom I was exposed to these principles, this way of approaching God's Word, very early in my Christian life, and so I did not have a great deal to "unlearn".

With this in mind I offer links to the following documents which will provide information about these terms I have used:

http://www.bibleunderstanding.com/2tim2-15.htm

http://www.bibleunderstanding.com/dispensational.htm

There is quite a bit of reading involved between these two articles, but they do provide a basic picture of the principles to which I have referred. I hope you will consider reading them.

Regardless of whether you do or not, I thank you for your Christian kindness and your willingness to discuss the Scriptures, and to receive my participation in the Love of God's Truth; the Word; the Lord Christ Jesus Who is the Head of that Body in which all those who were ordained before the overthrow of this world are members.

Thank you,

apilgrm2

--------------------

apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Hello Zeena, Billy, (and those who participate and/or stop by to read). The spirit of your responses to my last posting made clear to me your own, as well as Billy's, desire to KNOW not only what you already believe, but what the Spirit would have you to know, even if it means considering what someone else has been shown without feeling compelled to rush in and "make right" the error of their receipt.

I feel compelled to reply to you both. May I do so by way of this one posting? Faith is a deeply personal matter, don't you agree? And we must tread ever-so-gently when we assess another's views. I believe we can all agree that we are here because we LOVE THE LORD and we would have the fellowship of others in THAT LOVE. For this I give thanks and praise to HIM Who created all things and by Whom all things consist.

I was released from the hospital yesterday evening after nearly a week of witnessing the my own discomfort and that of others. Merciful LORD, the things I was given to see whilst I languished there!

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Where to begin.

I am compelled to be careful when I encounter a Christian believer with whom it is revealed I am at variance, whether in regard to understanding a single verse of Scripture or in the entire scope of the Bible. This is because (as I stated in one of the few other postings I have made on this board) each of us is given to gather from Scripture that which The Holy Spirit would have us to learn, and each of us is at our own particular stage of the process. We will perhaps never know this side of Glory just how much it is we have to learn, but I am thankful for that which the Spirit has revealed so far, not only to me, but to every believing Christian who is beloved of the LORD.[/qb]

Me too, I never take rebuking error lightly, I nor do I rebuke a fellow believer, as a person, but error in thinking, feeling or chosing.

Ephesians 4:15
but speaking truth in love, we may grow up in all things into him, who is the head, even Christ;

One of the reasons I decided to quote the teachings of a man other than myself is so that you would take no offense at me.

I see now that I should have spoken with you personally. I'm sorry! [Embarrassed]

quote:
The scope of your response to what I now see as an ill-conceived and poorly executed posting on my part, and although I have received it in Christian love, resembles a sledgehammer being used to swat a fly.
In how we percieve Jesus Christ, our Lord, this is how we will walk. It is important for our walk that we see Him as He is, yes?

Philippians 3:16
Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.

1 John 3:2
Beloved, now are we children of God, and it is not yet made manifest what we shall be. We know that, if he shall be manifested, we shall be like him; for we shall see him even as he is.

I posted that article as a mirror of what I have not only believed, but have born witness to in my spirit, witness from God's indwelling presence.

Though, I do understand and submit that it is God's Work to transform us. There is no judgment, no condemnation, no rebuke and no chastisment meant by the words spoken above. I honestly hoped you would receive it as from the Lord.

quote:
I gather you disagree with my assertion to Billy, which is evident not only by the content but by the sheer volume of your response posting.
Yes I disagreed with your assertion, in which you wrote; "we are not transformed".

To which I wrote; "We are being transformed as we seek Him".

And so we are, are we not?

2 Corinthians 3:18
But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord the Spirit.

quote:
It seems to me, however, that the hammer, particularly with regard to Mr. Woodward's writings, is cast in a crucible of error.

I say this because that while the author you quote at length has supplied MANY verses of Scripture to support the points he has set out to validate, he fails utterly to discern the differences between the dispensations of Scripture as revealed when the admonishment of 2 Timothy 2:15, which is to rightly divide the Word of Truth, is applied.

Please pinpoint where he did this, and I will inform him of such personally. I know I do not want to be found in error and am willing to recieve correction as from the Lord. But unless an error is pointed out, how can it be corrected?

quote:
I am an Acts 28 dispensationalist who has wandered onto a posting board where the terms "rightly divided" themselves are used in a few postings, many participants are perhaps unfamiliar with the meaning of the Word rightly divided, or with the concept of dispensational truth.
Dispensational Truth? Ages or seasons?

This is the dispensation of Grace, yes?
For those who hold to a future 'rapture'?

As is, I do not hold to a 'rapture' theory, I know the Lord is coming again to Judge both the living and the dead and fully redeem that which He has purchased with His Blood, but I have also received personal revelation of Jesus! He took me on His Train up to Heaven with Him while my body was still here on earth!

What He has revealed to me must also line up with Scripture, or I will not accept it as from God! And I believe this is where He is speaking of 'meet Him in the air'.

So far, from what has been revealed to my inward man, and with the Witness of God given me in the Holy Scripture I am of the mind of that what has been revealed in the Bible IS Christ IN us [and us in Him]! I always look for glimpses of Him where I am able.

Though, you are correct when you said I know little to nothing of this 'dividing of the Word', for indeed I do not! I know that I am annointed for such, and I am learning as much and as fast as the Lord permits, but I grow weary of seeking out Truths relevant to my Salvation at times. I do not want to be one who is ever learning, but never coming to the realization of Christ in me! I want to know HIM, and the Power of HIS ressurection, being conformable even unto HIS death! It's all I ever wanted, needed or desired since being born again.

Be not far from me, O God!
Yea, be my Life, Lord!

quote:
That can be corrected! And I am willing to submit if someone is willing to show me! I've prayed the Lord a long time for a teacher after His own heart, He knows!

quote:
I would ask but three questions before I exit the Christian BBS posting board,
Why 'before I exit'? Would it not be prudent to teach what God has shown you with due dilligence?

quote:
which are found in the context of the following verse:
I refuse to seek guideance so that the Lord may answer this question according to the condition of my soul.

Praying now! [Prayer]

quote:
Act 26:16 "But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;"

Compared to the first purpose for the Lord's appearance to Paul on the road to Damascus as it is stated in the above verse:

Paul saw the Living God, Jesus met him on the road to Damascus. Paul saw how small and helpless he was and he would have recalled noticing that the men without him were not blinded, like he was, for they had not beheld the Lord in His Glory.. They beheld the Light of God, but did not hear His voice. [Hebrews 3:15] Paul bore witness to Eternity, for Jesus is the Eternal Life of God. The Lord may have even revealed to him all creation in the Son, but this is only subjective, and thus I do not conceed it.

As St. Steven saw all Heaven opened up and the son of Man sitting at the Right Hand of God, Paul too, may have been privy to such, though his writings do not explicitly say so, except for this one fact;

2 Corinthians 12:2
I know a man in Christ, fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I know not; or whether out of the body, I know not; God knoweth), such a one caught up even to the third heaven.

I believe St Paul had an even depper revelation of the abiding Life of Christ. In that he not only saw Heaven opened up and Jesus sitting at the right hand of God, but that he [Paul] was in Christ, on His Throne!

Yet still, I believe Paul WAS privy the war raging in Heaven betwixt the angels of Light and darkness, and the Lord prevailing over them all!

I believe as a former presecutor of the church that Paul would be able to reminisce about his former conduct and motives of his heart in the Face of Christ. Bearing witness to all when he thus spoke the Truth;

1 Corinthians 15:9
For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

quote:
This is attested to by his [Paul's] very own saying;

Hebrews 2:9
But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Paul saw the hand of God thereafter in everyone and on everything! Christ became his all in all and Paul never saw anything the same again.

He [Paul] saw Jesus in his jailers, he saw the hand of God on King Agrippa, he saw the in-inworking of the spirit of error in the unregenerate and out-working of the Spirit of God. Every man draws breath, we inhale and exhale.

Jesus literally became everything to Paul.

1 Corinthians 12:6
And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

quote:
Because now is what matters "TODAY, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts"

Also to give Paul encouragment and hope for the trails and persecutions he would face.

But most of all, because there is a very real enemy who really does want us to be blinded to the Truth of God in Christ. Paul was able to minister according to Grace of God in him, teaching and expounding upon the propensity of flesh and the inner-working, indwelling and infilling of the Holy Spirit!

He was able to minister, in Christ, to those [unregenerate] who had willfully closed thier eyes, seeing as he was one of them.

Upon seeing Jesus, Paul must have reeled in the weakness of his own self! And in so doing, was able to utterly reject it [his old nature] in the Light of Christ. Seeing JESUS with his own eyes, he became blind to all else. For it wasn't until Jesus met him again through Ananias that the scales fell off.

Isaiah 6:5
Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, Jehovah of hosts.

quote:
This posting is made in the love of Christ Jesus our LORD; God bless and keep you always in His perfect care.

apilgrim2

My flesh has the tendancy to a flippant attitude, which I do confess, to the Lord. I'm sorry if I've caused offense.

I do not come against you, as may seem indicative to my rantings. [Embarrassed] I am with you in Spirit, as you I [Smile]

Be blessed apilgrim2, for I 2 am a pilgrim [Wink]

In reverential fear, Zeena.

"However, for this reason I obtained MERCY, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life"

--------------------

Billy
Advanced Member
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The evil atrocities that he had committed before he came to the Lord, which were part of his testimony.

quote:

The life that Christ would lead through him, as a new creature.

quote:

He doesn't. The Lord tells him that the sum of what he has seen and what he will see are what will make up the whole of his testimony to those whom he would preach to.

I have a feeling, but I want to hear it from you. How do you answer those questions?

--------------------
Test yourselves to be sure that you are in the faith.

- The Apostle Paul

Posts: 217 | From: overseas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Where to begin.

I am compelled to be careful when I encounter a Christian believer with whom it is revealed I am at variance, whether in regard to understanding a single verse of Scripture or in the entire scope of the Bible. This is because (as I stated in one of the few other postings I have made on this board) each of us is given to gather from Scripture that which The Holy Spirit would have us to learn, and each of us is at our own particular stage of the process. We will perhaps never know this side of Glory just how much it is we have to learn, but I am thankful for that which the Spirit has revealed so far, not only to me, but to every believing Christian who is beloved of the LORD.

The scope of your response to what I now see as an ill-conceived and poorly executed posting on my part, and although I have received it in Christian love, resembles a sledgehammer being used to swat a fly. I gather you disagree with my assertion to Billy, which is evident not only by the content but by the sheer volume of your response posting. It seems to me, however, that the hammer, particularly with regard to Mr. Woodward's writings, is cast in a crucible of error.

I would ask but three questions before I exit the Christian BBS posting board, which are found in the context of the following verse:

apilgrim2

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Billy wrote
If He has not began this work in your life, hit your knees and pray that He will, and don't stop praying until He has.

MH once said this exact same thing..

This goal is not based on trying to imitate Christ, but is a result of abiding in Him. In this way the Holy Spirit gradually transforms us: "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord" (2 Cor 3:18).

quote:
APilgrim2 wrote
we are not transformed

We are being transformed as we seek Him.

quote:
The Perfected and Progressive Aspects of the Believer's Sanctification
By John Woodward
August 12, 2005
A Biblical Outline

I. In one sense, the regenerated believer has already been sanctified (positionally and spiritually).

A. Believers are designated as holy (about 60 times in the NT).

1 Cor 3:17: "If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are."

Col 3:12: "Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;"

1 Thess 5:27: "I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read to all the holy brethren."

Heb 3:1: "Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus,"

1 Pet 2:5: "you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."

1 Pet 2:9: "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;"

Rom 1:7: "To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."

Rom 16:2: "that you may receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her in whatever business she has need of you; for indeed she has been a helper of many and of myself also."

Rom 16:15: "Greet Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them."

B. Sanctification is based on being in Christ.

1 Cor 1:30: "But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God--and righteousness and sanctification and redemption."

C. Sanctification is based on the completeness of the New Covenant.

Heb 10:10: "By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."

D. This complete aspect is usually known as "positional sanctification." However, I believe this complete aspect of holiness as also based on the nature of the believer's spirit as made holy through union with Christ.

2 Cor 5:17:"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

1 Cor 6:17:"But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him."

Eph 4:24:"... the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness."

II. Sanctification is also a continuing process and responsibility. The believer's soul and bodily actions are to be conformed to the indwelling Christ (Rom 8:28,29).

A. Progressive sanctification is indicated by admonitions to holy behavior (via bodily actions).

Rom 6:13,19: "And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God ... I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness."

Eph 5:8: "For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light."

1 Peter 1:15: "but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,"

2 Pet 3:11: "Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,

2 Cor 6:17,18: "Therefore 'Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you.I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the LORD Almighty.'"

B. Progressive sanctification is indicated by admonitions to develop holy character (in the soul, i.e. mind, will, and emotions).

Eph 4:24: "and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness."

Col 3:12: "Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering;"

1 Tim 2:15: "Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control."

Titus 1:8: "but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled,"

Jas 1:2,3: "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience."

Rom 5:3-5: "And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

C. Progressive sanctification is indicated by admonitions to devotion (in the soul).

Rom 12:1: "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service."

Heb 12:14: "Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord:"

2 Cor 5:15: "and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again."

1 Pet 3:15: "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;"

D. Progressive sanctification is indicated by Christ's intercession for His people.

John 17:17: "Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth."

E. Progressive sanctification is implied in the believer's holy calling.

1 Thess 4:7: "For God did not call us to uncleanness, but in holiness."

2 Tim 1:9: "who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began,"

F. The progressive aspect of sanctification refers essentially to the believer's soul and body.

2 Cor 7:1: "Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. "[In the Greek there is no definite article before 'spirit'; this admonition refers to spiritual issues, not a progressive holiness in the regenerated human spirit].

2 Tim 2:20-22:"But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work. Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."

2 Tim 3:16,17: "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

Heb 12:10: "For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness."

Heb 10:14: "For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified."

2 Cor 3:18: "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord."

2 Peter 3:18: "but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen."

G. This progress in holiness is experienced through cooperation with God's grace through the indwelling Christ.

John 15:4,5: "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."

Gal 2:20: "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Philippians 2:12,13: "Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure."

Titus 2:11,12: "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age,"

III. Sanctification will be perfected when the redeemed are with the Lord after this earthly life.

A. The Holy Spirit, Who has sealed the believer, is the pledge of ultimate sanctification and glorification.

Eph 4:30: "And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption."

Rom 8:22,23: "For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body."

B. The past, present, and future aspects of the believer's sanctification are interrelated.

1 John 3:1-3: "[past/present] Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God;

[future] and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

[present] And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure."

1 Thess 5:23,24: "Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For further reading on this topic, see Grace Notes: "Three D Sanctification,"The Believer's New Heart," and "Growing in Grace." Regarding trichotomy, see "Man as Spirit, Soul, and Body: Implications for Biblical Counseling" under this site's section: Theological Papers.

Copyright 2005 by John Woodward. Permission is granted to reproduce this outline for non-commercial use. GraceNotebook.com. Scripture quotations are from the New King James Version of the Bible [Thomas Nelson].

--------------------

apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Billy

It is clear that I have clearly not made my point clear to you in my posting.

My message was typed out in haste while getting ready for work. It was intended to reach out to those who have denied the LORD by their own decision. Those who have closed their hearts to The LORD have done so by their own decision.

We know from Scripture that no man can come to God lest He draw him, but He will never refuse one who sincerely seeks Him. Most of us have seen that hardening one's heart to the Grace of God does everything but open that channel whereby we may be called.

As to your response; in this dispensation we are not transformed, but rather we are a new creation, and we are given a new heart of flesh along with a new nature which is the earnest of the gift if our inheritance.

Those who will not open their hearts to the Truth, to the Word of God, have made that decision.

Does that help?

--------------------

Billy
Advanced Member
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salvation is not a mere decision made by a man. Salvation is a supernatural work of God whereby men are convicted of their sin and drawn to the only One that can save them from that sin, Jesus Christ, by the Holy Spirit. Couple this with the Father's love which was demonstrated on the cross where the Bible tells us that He delighted to bruise His only begotten Son. This is furthered by the fact that Christ died so that we could escape condemnation for our sins.

Faith is even given us, not by our will, but by the grace of God. Thus, the only part that we have in the whole process is that we give up and let God. God will act in us (transform us, if you will), so that we are contrite, repentant and faithful. If He has not began this work in your life, hit your knees and pray that He will, and don't stop praying until He has.

In Christ,
Billy.

--------------------
Test yourselves to be sure that you are in the faith.

- The Apostle Paul

Posts: 217 | From: overseas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Icon 16 posted      Profile for apilgrim2   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings to the Beloved in Christ, and to those who may read this posting who have not given their hearts, their lives, to The LORD:

I share this thought . . . Based upon what do we make our most important decisions?

Careful consideration?

Extensive analysis of the facts?

An overriding sense of what seems “right”?

Whatever criteria we use will likely be influenced by that which seems reasonable to us, and/or by similar decisions made by those we respect and whose judgment we believe is informed by reason?

IF we examine the reasoning process people use to make the most important decisions we should all make (but do not all make), I believe we will see that the same process is not used by the vast majority of people, especially when considering matters of FAITH.

If we are wise we will consider what is to become of us BEFORE we are facing DEATH. Why? Eventually the whole issue is no longer relevant . . . once we have DIED.

NOW is the day of Salvation.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement