Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » The challenge of our communication

Author Topic: The challenge of our communication
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I put it is, "The Holy Spirit chose every original word that He put into scripture. Man does not have the right to change the definitions of those words just because he doesn't comprehend the aspect of the mystery of the faith that is, at any given point, under his scrutiny."
When I get to a place like that, I say, "Lord, I don't know what you mean here. However, I believe that it is impossible for you to lie. I thank you that Your grace is sufficient for me. I praise You for You have promised never to leave me or forsake me. You are such a Helper, Oh God, and I always owe You me."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chewy,
I did it, and I got an explanation from him. I'm OK with the matter.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHEWY
Advanced Member
Member # 6970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CHEWY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Campbell is the administrator of this sight. Anywhere you see his name [David] posted click on it and select "send a personal message." He will normally reply pretty promptly to questions like these.

Chewy

Posts: 86 | From: Kingsport Tn. | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TB125,

Is there a way to make your post permanent and prominent so everyone will be sure to see it? Maybe add that we should only post a few things at a time?

God bless you.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm Bob. How did links from my words "Christ" and "Holy Spirit" get inserted into my message? I didn't put them there!! There is even one that I saw on the word "messenger" in one view of the message. What is going on with this forum? Why are such links present in my message. I would like to know. I haven't noticed such links in other messages. David, please explain this to me. Thanks.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

I assume that most of us who use this forum want to share information with each other and encourage each other through our messages. We intend our statements to be helpful and generally understandable. But I observe that we regularly encounter a common problem in our messages and the threads of which they a part. That is some confusion of meaning in our messages and statements, or even in some cases a loss of meaning in some of these messages.

For example, there has been several exchanges of messages regarding a very simple set of words "faith in Christ" or "faith of Christ". The communication challenge in this very brief set of words is very complicated.

In the first place one must understand the original words that compose the statement. Then he/she must understand and respect their translation into a more familiar language. Then he/she must understand what the original author really meant by his/her statement, which is always more than just his/her vocabulary. Then the recipient of those words must clearly understand what the commentator meant in his/her quotation of those words or in his/her own statement. Communication is always a process of sharing meanings, but it is never simple.

And another important factor in any expression of Christian communication is the role of the Holy Spirit. There is not nor can there be any expresion of communication that is "Christian" that is not under the direction of the Holy Spirit of God! He must be the author of the original vocabulary. He must be the dictionary in its translation. He must be the teacher in its interpretation. And He must be the counselor in its implementation. See John 14:15-17 and John 16:7-15 for Jesus' words of instruction and encouragement regarding this matter. If He is removed or absent from any part of this process, the message of the communication is subject to distortion or corruption by "ungodly" personal opinions of the messengers, which includes us.

I would encourage all of us to be careful in our messages to form them and to express them in accord with the Holy Spirit. When we quote anyone, even texts of Scripture, we should be very careful and thorough to summarize the author's original point and to clearly present his/her intended meaning. We should thoroughly document any sources for opinions other than our own, and try to be brief.

I pray that these comments are helpful. I think that they are fairly clear. I appreciate this forum and am challenged and blessed by its various messages. May God enable us all to be effective messengers of His "good news".

--------------------
Bob

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement