Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Bible translations

Author Topic: Bible translations
BrianGrass1234
Advanced Member
Member # 5845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrianGrass1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read the NIV cause its easy. But when something don't seem quite right or I'm confused about something I will hit one of the websites with all the different translations to try and find out whats really trying to be said.

I also want to through in something I read when I was searching for original texts that I found on the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America web site where it said that only the original text is directly inspired by God and that no dogma or doctrine should be based on any translation.

Posts: 203 | From: Weed, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Advanced Member
Member # 3696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadowmaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont like the NIV,NLT, etc. I read the KJV only. Reason being is they leave out veruses, it doesnt talk about the virgin birth, just to name a few. The NIV,NLT etc is a translation of a verus where as the KJV is a word for word translation. This has been an argument between me and my wife. But she uses the NLT as a study guide. So, I have thought about it and feel thats maybe ok. She did point out that the NLT study guide she has, has footnotes letting you know a verus has been left out or changed.

The main thing that sticks out to me is in Rev 22:18-19. It says not to change or add.

Another example, Theres a discussion in one of the other sections about sex. The NIV doesnt say its wrong to have sex and not be married. It says "sexual immortiality". Which leaves a lot of interuptation for people to justify it. Where as the KJV says fornication is wrong.

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forgivendaughter
Member # 5888

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Forgivendaughter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a King James Bible that my mom gave me as a Christmas gift when I was a teenager. I gave up my aspirations to read the Bible that year, when I couldn't get the meaning of what I've read.

When I recommitted my life to God as an adult, I bought a NIV and my understanding of GOD blossomed and I had a hunger for GOD's word like never before.

I now read a NIV, TNIV and 'The Message'.

Can I ask why you all are so dedicated to the KJV? My mom is also very dedicated to this translation but I've never ask why.

Thank you for your help

Posts: 3 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on the people who I am addressing, I will use either KJV 1611 (1st) Modern NKJV and MKJV (2nd) snd NIV (3rd)

But for quite time the Spanish Valera of 1569,my Yiddisch Bible and the French Version of 1511. I always want to keep up with my mother tongues and getting closer to the Lord.

But usually for my Bible College I am attending it the KJV of 1611.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NLP
Advanced Member
Member # 5870

Icon 12 posted      Profile for NLP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've studied the various versions over the past few years and I am 100% KJV only as a result of my studies. I won't tell you why though unless you ask.
Posts: 45 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have both NIV and KJV copies but I prefer the NIV as the language is clearer

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wannagrow
Member # 5882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wannagrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this may of already been a subject but what translation do you read and why i like the new american standard
Posts: 2 | From: Baltimore,Maryland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement