Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Jesus fish

Author Topic: Jesus fish
andyman
Advanced Member
Member # 4781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for andyman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that David. Personally, i thought it was just from the passage of Matthew 4:19.

But yeah, its always good to see one of those fishes on someones car. [Cool]

--------------------
IN 2000, WE AMERICANS spent 94 Billion Dollars lavishly on our home churches. However, the average North American Christian gives only 50 CENTS a week to global missions.

Gospel for Asia - Fire on the Altar

Posts: 60 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlympicGold
Community Member
Member # 4875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OlympicGold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome info to know! I am reading the bible beginning with Matthew and I remember him feeding an entire colony from only bread and fish. In other chapters in Matthew I believe he used mainly bread if my memory is correct.
Posts: 15 | From: Plano, Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Greek word for fish, with English letters, "ICHTHUS", is an acrostic for Jesus Christ God's Son Savior. In the days of the early Church, and the catacombs and caves, one Believer would make a half circle on its side and the other would make one on the other side, which would form the symbol of a "fish", a secret sign for identification with Christ.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fish symbol is the earliest of Christian symbols and was the most common representation of Jesus Christ from the second through the fourth centuries.

Why is the fish meaningful to Christians?
The Bible relates a number of accounts where fish were a significant aspect of Jesus' ministry. On one occasion (Matthew 14:19), Jesus served several thousand families with a meal of bread and fish. On another occasion (Matthew 4:19), Jesus called Peter and Andrew, saying, "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men."

Many early Christians were persecuted and forced to worship secretly. The fish symbol served as a secret form of communication. Often the persecuted Christians would scratch this symbol on the ground to identify themselves to fellow believers.

Soon, Christians began to attach meaning to the word "fish" itself. The Greek letters for ichthus (meaning "fish", pronounced "ICK-THOOS") became an acronym: I=Jesus; X=Christ; O=God's; Y=Son; E=Savior.

Today, the person who displays the fish symbol has accepted the same New Testament teaching that these early Christians accepted: that Jesus Christ is their Lord and Savior. By a decision of faith, this person has entered into a personal relationship with God and knows the reality of God's forgiveness.

"That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9, NIV).

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlympicGold
Community Member
Member # 4875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OlympicGold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning everyone,

Does anyone know the significance of the fish? Is it the symbol of Jesus? What exactly should I understand when seeing it? I am going to get one of those metals ones to put on my car.

Have a great day!
OG

Posts: 15 | From: Plano, Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement