Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Baptist vs Methodist vs Catholic religions

Author Topic: Baptist vs Methodist vs Catholic religions
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
There are saved Catholics, just as there are Baptist who are unsaved but think they are cause they went to Church as a kid.
Betty

AMEN Sis!

p.s. I just checked out the link to your son's photography site - WOW!!! He's got a Lot of Talent! [thumbsup2]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soft-touch,

You are so right. There are saved Catholics, just as there are Baptist who are unsaved but think they are cause they went to Church as a kid.
Betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sisters Linda and Betty, a Big AMEN from me on that one as well!

Just as a Qualifier I need to add:

Even though I don't believe the RCC to be a Real Christian denomination, I do believe that there are Catholic people who have put their faith and trust in Jesus alone (and in HIS finished work on the cross for their Salvation). There are Catholic people who are saved. [Smile] The Lord God will eventually lead these Children out of the RCC - of that I'm certain!

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Linda. I do not consider RCC to be Christian. I think like the Muslim faith, the RCC is a great lie of satan to convince people they are saved. It is especially sad because I have talked to, too many Catholic people who consider themselves saved because they were baptized as a baby.

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey MAC: I realize that this is not your writing, but I would argue this statment:

quote:
The Roman Catholic Church is the largest Christian body in the world.
I would say that this is more accurately stated:

"The Roman Catholic Church is the largest organization in the world claiming to be the Christian Body."

I realize this is semantics, but for me the distinction is important.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 18 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I grew up Catholic and I can tell you, IN MY OPINION, it is the furthest thing from relationship based faith. Since heavy weight is put on sacraments, confession, confirmation ect. Very few Catholics read the Bible like they should. Read the Bible and it will explain Gods love. It is greater than any works or any "thing" that we can do on our own.
Pretty simple I think. [wave3]

[dance]

--------------------
JAVA, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose."

Posts: 147 | From: Columbia South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first American Methodist Bishop was Francis Asbury, whose boyhood home, Bishop Asbury Cottage, in Sandwell, England, is now a museum. Upon the formation of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America at the Baltimore Christmas Conference in 1784, the new denomination ordained Asbury a deacon, elder, and bishop each on three successive days. Circuit riders, many of which were laymen, traveled by horseback to preach the gospel and establish churches until there was scarcely any crossroad community in America without a Methodist expression of Christianity.

Disputes over slavery placed the church in difficulty in the first half of the 1800s, with the northern church leaders fearful of a split with the South, and reluctant to take a stand. The Wesleyan Methodists and the Free Methodist Churches were formed by staunch abolitionists, and the Free Methodists were especially active in the Underground Railroad, which helped to free the slaves. Finally, in a much larger split, in 1845 at Louisville, the churches of the slaveholding states formed The Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The northern and southern branches were reunited in 1939, when slavery was no longer an issue. In this merger also joined the Methodist Protestant Church. Some southerners, conservative in theology, and strongly segregationist, opposed the merger, and formed the Southern Methodist Church in 1940.

The United Methodist Church was formed in 1968 as a result of a merger between the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist Church. The former church had resulted from mergers of several groups of German Methodist heritage. There was no longer any need or desire to worship in the German language. The merged church had approximately 9 million members as of the late 1990s. While the United Methodist Church in America has been shrinking, associated groups in developing countries are growing rapidly.

American Methodist churches are generally organized on a connectional model, related but not identical to that used in Britain. Ministers are assigned to churches by bishops, distinguishing it from presbyterian government. Methodist denominations typically give lay members representation at regional and national meetings (conferences) at which the business of the church is conducted, making it different from episcopalian government. This connectional organizational model differs further from the congregational model, for example of Baptist, and Congregationalist Churches, among others.

In addition to the United Methodist Church, there are over 40 other denominations that descend from John Wesley's Methodist movement. Some, such as the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the Free Methodists and the Wesleyan Church (formerly Wesleyan Methodist), are explicitly Methodist. Others do not call themselves Methodist, but are related to varying degrees. The Salvation Army was founded by William Booth, a former Methodist. It derives some of its theology from Methodism. Another related denomination is the Church of the Nazarene. Some of the charismatic or pentecostal churches such as the Pentecostal Holiness Church and the Assemblies of God also have roots in or draw from Wesleyan thought.

The Holiness Revival was primarily among people of Methodist persuasion, who felt that the church had once again become apathetic, losing the Wesleyan zeal. Some important events of this revival were the writings of Phoebe Palmer during the mid-1800s, the establishment of the first of many holiness camp meetings at Vineland, New Jersey in 1867, and the founding of Asbury College, (1890), and other similar institutions in the US around the turn of the 20th century.

From its beginnings in England, Methodism laid emphasis on social service and education. Numerous originally Methodist institutions of higher education were founded in the United States in the early half of the 19th century, and today altogether there are about twenty universities and colleges named as "Methodist" or "Wesleyan" still in existence.

The Roman Catholic Church is the largest Christian body in the world. Over 1.1 billion people worldwide are considered members. It claims that it is both organizationally and doctrinally the original Christian Church, founded by Jesus Christ, a claim shared by the Eastern Orthodox Church. It also claims unbroken Apostolic Succession from St. Peter and the other Apostles. The Second Vatican Council's Decree on the Church, Lumen Gentium, 8,[1] declared that "the sole Church of Christ which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic and apostolic" has a concrete realization (the Latin term is "subsistit") "in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him". "Successor of Peter" refers to the Pope, currently Benedict XVI.

The Roman Catholic Church is one of the largest and oldest continuously operating institutions in existence. (For history see History of the Roman Catholic Church.)

It is a hierarchical organization in which ordained clergy are divided into the orders of bishops, priests and deacons. The world is divided into 2755 (as of the end of 2004) dioceses, sometimes called bishoprics or sees, each with a presiding bishop, responsible for the religious welfare of the faithful in his geographical area. The diocese of Rome has always been pre-eminent in the Church, because it is the seat of the bishop, known as the Pope, who is considered by Catholics to be the successor of Saint Peter, the chief of the Apostles.

Baptist churches are part of a Christian movement often regarded as an Evangelical, Protestant denomination. Baptists emphasize a believer's baptism by full immersion, which is performed after a profession of faith in Jesus as Lord and Savior. A congregational governance system gives autonomy to individual local Baptist churches, which are sometimes associated in organizations such as the Southern Baptist Convention. In the late 1990s, there were about 43 million Baptists worldwide with about 33 million in the United States.

Beliefs
Baptist churches do not have a central governing authority, resulting in a wide range of beliefs from one Baptist church to another. Baptist distinctives are beliefs that are common among Baptist churches, some of which are also shared with many other post-reformational denominations.

Baptist distinctives acrostic
This acrostic is used by some Baptist churches as a summary of the distinctives or distinguishing beliefs of Baptists.

Biblical authority
Autonomy of the local church
Priesthood of all believers
Two ordinances (Believer's Baptism and Symbolic Communion)
Individual soul liberty
Separation of Church and State
Two offices of the church (Pastor and Deacon)
[edit]
Believer's baptism
Believer's baptism is an ordinance that plays no role in salvation and is performed after a person professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. It is an outward expression that is symbolic of the inward cleansing or remission of their sins that has already taken place. It is also a public identification of that person with Christianity and with that particular local church. Most Baptist churches used baptism as a criterion for membership.

Baptists emphasize baptism by full immersion, the mode used by John the Baptist, which consists of lowering the candidate in water backwards, while a pastor invokes the Trinitarian formula of Matthew 28:19. This mode is also preferred for its parallel imagery to the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. Recognition of other modes of baptism by other Baptists and Christian groups vary from one church to another. A few Baptist churches allow for baptism by sprinkling as an alternative mode for the disabled or elderly. Some Baptist churches will recognize baptisms performed in other orthodox Christian churches that were not performed on infants.

Through Anabaptist influence, Baptists reject the practice of infant baptism or pedobaptism because they believe parents cannot make a decision of salvation for an infant. Only a person who has reached an "Age of accountability" is eligible for baptism. This is not a specific age, but rather the age at which God determines that person is accountable for their sins. Many Baptists believe Jesus began to visibly do the work of God at the age of 12 and somewhere around there is the typical "Age of Accountability". Children and those who are not mentally or emotionally capable of discerning their sins are not held accountable for their sins and are considered to be in a state of grace. Some Baptists do not hold the concept of an "Age of Accountability".

[edit]
Congregationalism
Congregationalist church governance gives autonomy to individual local churches in areas of policy, polity and doctrine. Baptist churches are not under the direct administrative control of any other body, such as a national council, or a leader such as a bishop or pope. Administration, leadership and doctrine are decided democratically by the lay members of each individual church, which accounts for the variation of beliefs from one Baptist church to another.

In a manner typical of other congregationalists, many cooperative associations of Baptists have arisen. The largest of these in the United States is the Southern Baptist Convention. The second largest is the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc., which is also America's second largest predominantly African-American denomination. There are hundreds of Baptist conventions and many Baptist churches do not fall into any of them. In addition, there are sometimes very strong disputes even within conventions, which are often divided between Christian fundamentalists and moderates.

The exceptions are some Reformed Baptists, who are organized in a Presbyterian government and the Congolese Episcopal Baptist, that has a episcopal governance.

[edit]
Separation of Church and State
Main article: Baptists in the history of separation of church and state

Baptists who were imprisoned or died for their beliefs have played an important role in the historical struggle for freedom of religion and separation of church and state in England, the United States, and other countries. In 1612 John Smyth wrote, "the magistrate is not by virtue of his office to meddle with religion, or matters of conscience". That same year, Thomas Helwys wrote that the King of England could "comaund what of man he will, and wee are to obey it," but concerning the church -- "with this Kingdom, our lord the King hath nothing to do." In 1614, Leonard Busher wrote what is believed to be the earliest Baptist treatise dealing exclusively with the subject of religious liberty.

Baptists were influential in the formation of the first civil government based on the separation of church and state in what is now Rhode Island. Anabaptists and Quakers also share a strong history in the development of separation of church and state. Today, though, some prominant Southern Baptist leaders believe that the government, at some level, should favor Christianity in certain contexts - mainly morals.

Historically, and in many modern Baptist congregations, the separation of church and state is believed to be more about government not being involved in the affairs of church rather than church not being involved in the affairs of government. The original objection was of the monarchy setting a religious agenda and in no way implied that it was inappropriate for churches to set a moral or spiritual agenda for the government. (Law making and interpretation in inherantly based on morals and ethics).

Support of Separation of Church and State does not imply a retreat from the political realm and Baptists do not generally eschew involvement in the political process. Currently in the United States, Baptist (particularly Southern Baptist) involvement in politics often involves controversies concerning gambling, alcohol, abortion, homosexual marriage as well as the teaching of evolution and state-sanctioned public prayer in public high schools. In parts of some southern U.S. states, Southern Baptists form a majority of the population and have successfully banned alcohol sales, and prevented the legalization of certain kinds of gambling.

[edit]
Biblical authority
Authority of the Scriptures or sola scriptura states that the Bible is the only authoritative source of God's truth in contrast to the role of Apostolic tradition in the Roman Catholic Church. Any view that cannot be directly tied to a scriptural reference is generally considered to be based on human traditions rather than God's leading. Each person is responsible before God for his or her own understanding of the Bible and is encouraged to work out their own salvation with fear and trembling.

Biblical inerrancy is also a common position held by Baptists in addition to literal interpretations of the Bible and fundamentalist theologies. However, because of the variety allowed under congregational governance, many Baptist churches are neither literalist nor fundamentalist, although most do believe in biblical inerrancy. Even though it is only the Bible that is authoritative, Baptists also cite other works as illustrative of doctrine. One work which is commonly read by Baptists is the allegory Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Your Welcome,

I think it is great to hear from people about different Churches. Even though you need to visit Churches, for yourself, in order to get all their beliefs you would have to visit each one for months. So getting input from people who have actually attended differenet Churches,I believe is helpful.
Before we moved to Washington, I prayed 6 months that God would send us to a good Bible preaching Church. Not only did God answer my prayer, but since that time, my son has gotten saved (also an answer to prayer) and he is in a good Bible preaching Church where he lives.
If we truly seek God, He will guide us to a Church where we can be blessed and be a blessing to others.
God bless you in your search,
betty

--------------------

OlympicGold
Community Member
Member # 4875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OlympicGold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great info guys! Thanks a lot:)
Posts: 15 | From: Plano, Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OlympicGold,

It's always best that you attend the services at the various churches for yourself. That way you will know exactly what each church is like and what the minister preaches and you can make your own decision as to what you feel is the right church for you. It's always best to make your own decisions and the Lord will be with you to help guide you.

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree with those who have said stay away from Catholicism.

As for Baptists and Methodists, there are divisions even among Baptists and Methodists.

I would personally stay away from the United Methodists, they are having serious issues within their denomination over the issue of homosexuality and the ordaining of homosexuals to the clergy.

We have a couple of long time members here who are pastors in the Evangelical Methodist Church and I think that this group that stands on sound Biblical doctrine. They came out the divisions that arose in the United Methodist Church.

I would say that the most prominent difference between Methodists and Baptists are their views on predestination and election vs free will and choice.

The denomination of Methodism which is a protestant denomination of Christianity was begun by John Wesley; Wesley advocated the doctrines of Jacaobus Arminus, a dutch theologian in regard to the issues of predestination. The Arminians put a strong emphasis on the "free will of man" and they believe man controls most aspects of his own life. Man’s freewill to choose his own destiny is central to this belief system. They believe that you can lose your salvation.

Wesley was a member of the Anglican Church in the 18th Century and was reluctant to form a new denomination. One of the main issues of reform in the eyes of Wesley was the need for lay pastors or preachers.

Another major way in which Methodism differs from the Baptist denominations is in the way scripture is interpreted. Wesley taught that scripture is inspired by and is interpreted and doctrines are formed through a paradigm of personal experience, church tradition, and reasoning or rational thought.

There are many groups of baptists, most baptists do not consider themselves to be protestants and do not claim connection to the Roman Church and caving come out of it.

Most Baptists believe that the Bible is the only authoritative source of God's truth, that it is inerrant and that doctrines are formed based on its literal interpretation rather than in church tradition. They believe that scripture interprets scripture.

Unlike the Methodists Baptists do not believe in infant Baptism but believe in a believer's baptism in the tradition of John the Baptist.

Though most baptists do not claim connection with Calvin, the Baptist doctrine in most cases is one of election, predestination and eternal secuirty for the born again. Although most of the fundemental Baptist denomination believe in free will and choice.

I am out of time and have to run but I hope this helps.

this link below is a little quiz that you can take to see how your beliefs line up with other denominations.

http://selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=christiandenom

My advice to you would be to seek and evangelical, stongly Bible believing non denominational church.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went through years of searching for the Right Church myself. After attending many and doing a lot of Praying and research We (my husband and I) were finally led by the Lord to the Independent, Fundamental Baptist Church (where our son attends school now). There are many different types of Baptist churchs. Here is a link that explains what an Independent, Fundamental Baptist Church is and what they (generally) believe:

What is an Independent, Fundamental Baptist Church?: http://www.geocities.com/harrisonm357/baptist2.html

I grew up a United Methodist and all though I did learn a bit about the Bible, there was No Discipleship and a Lot of “Sunday Faces.” They also started teaching the Adult Sunday School from a book called "Illusions" which quoted the "Gnostic Gospels" (which are False Gospels). That's when I left the Methodist Church (back in 1976). The research I’ve done lately on the Methodist Church indicates that they have gone head long into the Ecumenical Movement (as have Many of the Denominations including the Catholics).

Here is a link to an article that explains more about why Ecumenicism is a Bad thing: http://www.jeremiahproject.com/prophecy/ecumen01.html

As for the Catholic Church, the problems there are many. Many of the practices of the RCC came from False Pagan Religions of Rome which the ‘church’ incorporated into their system in an effort to bring the Pagans into the ‘church.’ This is in violation of how the Scriptures tell us to Preach the Gospel (and the Lord will bring those He Calls into the “Church – the Body of Messiah”). Also, they “Worship” Mary and consider her to be Co-Equal with Jesus in Salvation (which is also against Scripture). There are many many problems but I don’t want to go into it all.

Here is a link to understanding more of why the Catholic Church is not in line with Scripture: http://www.cephasministry.com/what_catholics_believe.html

I hope this will be helpful! May the Lord God lead you as you Pray about where HE would have you Fellowship and Serve HIM! [Prayer]

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I think Southern Baptist is great! [Smile]
betty

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Catholic Church teaches that justification is rendered through the sacraments of the church. The RCC declares itself to be a dispenser of God's grace. It places Church tradition on an equal par with God's Word.

Catholic Catechism

816 "The sole Church of Christ [is that] which our Savior, after his Resurrection, entrusted to Peter's pastoral care, commissioning him and the other apostles to extend and rule it. . . . This Church, constituted and organized as a society in the present world, subsists in (subsist it in) the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him."267
The Second Vatican Council's Decree on Ecumenism explains: "For it is through Christ's Catholic Church alone, which is the universal help toward salvation, that the fullness of the means of salvation can be obtained. It was to the apostolic college alone, of which Peter is the head, that we believe that our Lord entrusted all the blessings of the New Covenant, in order to establish on earth the one Body of Christ into which all those should be fully incorporated who belong in any way to the People of God."268

824 United with Christ, the Church is sanctified by him; through him and with him she becomes sanctifying. "All the activities of the Church are directed, as toward their end, to the sanctification of men in Christ and the glorification of God."292 It is in the Church that "the fullness of the means of salvation"293 has been deposited. It is in her that "by the grace of God we acquire holiness."294

Following each Canon is a list of appropriate scriptures countering the Catholic position.

1. CANON 9: "If any one saith, that by faith alone the impious is justified; in such wise as to mean, that nothing else is required to co-operate in order to the obtaining the grace of Justification, and that it is not in any way necessary, that he be prepared and disposed by the movement of his own will; let him be anathema."

"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Rom. 3:20).
B. "Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus" (Rom. 3:24).
C. "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law" (Rom. 3:28).
D. "For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness" (Rom. 4:3).
E. "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Rom. 5:1).
F. "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God" (Eph. 2:8).
G. "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost" (Titus 3:5).

2. CANON 12: "If any one shall say that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in the divine mercy pardoning sins for Christ's sake, or that it is that confidence alone by which we are justified ... let him be accursed"
"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name" John 1:12).
A. "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law" (Rom. 3:28).
B. "For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness" (Rom. 4:3).
C. "Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; 27Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people’s: for this he did once, when he offered up himself" (Heb. 7:25-27).
D. For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day" (2 Tim. 1:12).

3. Canon 14: "If any one saith, that man is truly absolved from his sins and justified, because that he assuredly believed himself absolved and justified; or, that no one is truly justified but he who believes himself justified; and that, by this faith alone, absolution and justification are effected; let him be anathema."
"For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness" (Rom. 4:3).
A. "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Rom. 5:1).

The Methodist Church came out of the Church of England, via John Wesley, which came out of Catholicism when Henry the 8th needed a divorce. The Methodist Church has become very liberal in their theology, with many of their pastors denying much of God's Word and many homosexuals holding positions of authority including ordination.

There are different Baptist associations, such as the American Baptist which are affirming and support the homosexual agenda. The local IFB are for the most part Bible teaching, and can be unpopular with those who deny God's Word.

The question has been so well asked, "What think ye of Christ"?

Its not the "Church", but the Rock upon which the true Church is founded who is the Author and Finisher of our salvation.

Romans 3:10-12
As it is written: "There is none
righteous, no, not one; There is none
who understands; There is none who
seeks after God. They have all turned
aside; They have together become
unprofitable; There is none who does
good, no, not one."

Romans 3:23
For all have sinned and fall short of the
glory of God

Romans 5:12
Therefore, just as through one man sin
entered the world, and death through
sin, and thus death spread to all men,
because all sinned

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the
gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus
our Lord.

Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates His own love
toward us, in that while we were still
sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 10:8-11
But what does it say? "The word is
near you, in your mouth and in your
heart" (that is, the word of faith which
we preach): that if you confess with
your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe
in your heart that God has raised Him
from the dead, you will be saved. For
with the heart one believes unto
righteousness, and with the mouth
confession is made unto salvation. For
the Scripture says, "Whoever believes
on Him will not be put to shame."

Romans 2:4
Or do you despise the riches of His
goodness, forbearance, and
longsuffering, not knowing that the
goodness of God leads you to
repentance?

Romans 6:3-7
Or do you not know that as many of us
as were baptized into Christ Jesus were
baptized into His death? Therefore we
were buried with Him through baptism
into death, that just as Christ was raised
from the dead by the glory of the
Father, even so we also should walk in
newness of life. For if we have been
united together in the likeness of His
death, certainly we also shall be in the
likeness of His resurrection, knowing
this, that our old man was crucified
with Him, that the body of sin might be
done away with, that we should no
longer be slaves of sin. For he who has
died has been freed from sin.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

We must admit that we are a sinner:
Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Be willing to turn from sin (repent):
Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Believe that Jesus Christ died for you, was buried and rose from the dead Romans 10:9-10

Through prayer invite Jesus into your life to become your personal savior:
Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Pray this prayer if you want to receive Christ:
Dear God, I am a sinner and need forgiveness. I believe that Jesus Christ shed his precious blood and died for my sin. I am willing to turn from sin. I now invite Christ to come into my heart and life as my personal savior. Amen.

1) read your Bible every day to get to know Jesus Christ better, and the book of John is a great place to start.

2)Talk to God every day in prayer every day He is as close as your very next breath.

3)Be baptized, worship, fellowship and serve with other Christians in a church where Christ is preached and the Bible is the final authority.

4)Tell others about Jesus Christ.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just to step out on a limb here, I implore you to not attend a Catholic church.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bygrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question remains OG,

Who do you day that He is?

What has the Bible told you, etc.

Have you sought guidance from Him alone?
There are many many denominations varying in degrees. Stick to the Bible though, line everything up with scripture! You will find in some denominations, that they do not encourage YOU to read the Bible for yourself...this is a red flag.
They want to read it TO you, and tell you what to do from there.
By the way, tolerance can be a dangerous ploy to bring in the numbers. - be wary of too much tolerance in a church, denomination, etc.
Follow the guidlines set forth in the Bible for the Church, this is and always will be the measuring stick of all measuring sticks.

one last verse to pray upon,
Matthew 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

God Bless, bygrace

bygrace

Posts: 162 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OlympicGold:
"Tell Amy, the Diff between baptist and methodist is easy. Baptist use fear of god to motivate and ignore the "don't judge" part of the bible, while methodist use positivity and god's mercy to motivate and try and include the "don't judge" part in our philosophy. That is not meant to be offensive to baptist, that's just how it is. Jodie was formerly baptist and agrees."

Don't clump all Baptists into one category OlympicGold. There are different denominations of Baptists and you have to look carefuly at each individual doctrine.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlympicGold
Community Member
Member # 4875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OlympicGold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Special thanks to TXGrandma for helping me. I attended a Methodist Church last night was happy with everything involved. Next Wednesday I will attend a Catholic worship followed by a Baptist worship the following week.

I don't want this to sound offensive to anyone but my friend who is a Methodist is married to someone that is formally Baptist and sent this message to another friend of mine that had similar questions as I did. I will quote him below:

"Tell Amy, the Diff between baptist and methodist is easy. Baptist use fear of god to motivate and ignore the "don't judge" part of the bible, while methodist use positivity and god's mercy to motivate and try and include the "don't judge" part in our philosophy. That is not meant to be offensive to baptist, that's just how it is. Jodie was formerly baptist and agrees."

I hope nobody is offended by this I just wanted to get some feedback positive or negative on this. The girl I am dating is Baptist and I would hate to run this by her and get totally offended by it. I'm only trying to learn what religious denomination is right for me. What I do know is that we are all Christians and I would hate for someone to judge me because I am part of one denomination over another.

Thanks for your kind responses.

OG

Posts: 15 | From: Plano, Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bygrace:
(I wouldn't put Karo inthe fridge) I'm from the south too, but I've *heard* of it, go figure..

We put everything in the fridge in Canada. My corn syrup is sitting in my fridge right now as we speak. { I don't know if we have the Karo brand in Canada}

Some even put things like cakes and chocolate bars in the fridge. That I don't understand.

Back to topic. There are many different factions of the Methodist Church. The Wesleyan Methodists pretty well stick to the basic fire and brimstone type of message. The Free Methodists are basically the same.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bygrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[roll on floor]

(I wouldn't put Karo inthe fridge) I'm from the south too, but I've *heard* of it, go figure.. [Roll Eyes]

bygrace

Posts: 162 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

quote:
I am slower than Karo from the fridge!
Why in the world would you put your Karo in the fridge? [cool_shades]

Scramble you up some eggs and throw in some pecans and mix it with your Karo and put that stuff in a pie pan in the oven where it belongs girl! [thumbsup2] [roll on floor]

bygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4847

Not me Betty- I am slower than Karo from the fridge! [Big Grin]

I would say that you are quite knowledgable in this area...

Olympicgold, It is quite a process trying to separate who beleives what I'll pray for your guidance through the process... & study your Bible and pray that God can help you make the right decision. [Prayer]
bygrace

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Hon, don't let the grey hair (hidden at the moment by store bought color [Wink] ) fool you. Alot of people here are much much smarter than me.

Some Baptist Churches preach against speaking in tongues. Assembly of God believes in speaking in tongues. I believe in it myself. The Baptist Preacher where we attend,believes that the Holy Spirit does use speaking in tongues sometimes, especially when a person is praying and cannot find the words to say. I am not familiar with the Methodist Church.
My grandpa was Church of Christ. They do not believe (or at least they did when I went) in musical instruments in the Church. At the moment the Church of Christ is considering accepting the gay life style is an acceptable behavior for a Christian. My grandpa would be fit to be tied.

The reason I like the Baptist Church is we have found them to have better Bible studies than the Assembly of God. Also, they seem to care more. We live two blocks from the Assembly of God and when we both hubby and I got very very ill, I called the Church. No one called and checked on us. Plus we have been gone from the Church for 6 months and not one person called. When we had a relapse, the teacher of our Baptist Bible study called and checked on us. This meant a lot to us.

But, when looking for a Church, look for a Church that preaches and teaches the whole Bible. At the local Assembly of God when the preacher asked our class what we wanted to study, several people asked him to teach on Revelations and he refused. He has been a preacher for 25 years and he says he does not feel comfortable teaching on Revelations. Seemed weird to me.
To us the Bible study classes are more important than even the preaching. Our Church has small Bible study groups instead of one big one. Which is helpful on learning God's Word. It took us 6 months to find a Church when we move. So hang in there and don't get discourage. When we checked out a Church, we visited a Sunday morning and a Bible study to see if they were teaching the Word.
Praying for God's will in this matter is very important. Don't give up. A Church home is important for a Christian's growth. Besides, God has a place of service for you, my friend. Did you ever think that even regular attendance is important to God? Non't only are you honoring God, but you are encouraging the Pastor.
God bless you, Brother.
betty

--------------------

OlympicGold
Community Member
Member # 4875

Great info TXGrandma. I have bookmarked those sights and they make a great reference. Since you are very knowlegable like a lot of members here, can you give me your opinions of the differences?

thanks!

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

http://www.sbc.net/bfm/bfm2000.asp

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~fumchsv/beliefs.htm

http://www.anawim.pair.com/CATHOLICS/

http://blufftonag.org/t/share/docs/WhatWeBelieve.html

I grew up in the Assemblies of God Church, but I have been in the Baptist Church for the last 20 years. When we moved to Washington State, we checked out two Assemblies of God but we soon made it back to the Baptist Church, which is were we attend now.
I hope the links help.
betty

--------------------

OlympicGold
Community Member
Member # 4875

Hi,

I love the bulletin board. I am someone who is trying to further my religious beliefs and based on what I have seen, I have come to the right place.

I am going to attend many different churches to see which one is right for me. However in the mean time I was hoping we could sterotype a bit.

Can someone tell me the basic differences between the Baptists, Methodists and Catholics? I don't know where to call home but like I said earlier I will be trying many different churches.

In the mean time I was hoping we could have a nice discussion on the topic and the more point of views I read the better understanding I will have of this process.

thanks!
OG

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement