Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » I'm a new Christian

Author Topic: I'm a new Christian
HopefulHeart
Advanced Member
Member # 4525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I've been studying all the links and advice with scriptures and my New Believer's Bible. I'm learning alot, and hubby is showing interest, but you can tell he still isn't ready. Let's all pray for hubby to join me in the path of our Lord, Jesus. Amen.

Thank you all for your support and prayers. I'm so blessed to have found this site, now I hope that I can find a great church. [Prayer]

Jo

--------------------
Make my roots deep and strong so that I may stand tall for Harvesting.

Posts: 21 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep up the great work JoAnn!! Like your signature says, make those roots grow deep and strong.

Still praying for you. [hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulHeart
Advanced Member
Member # 4525

Icon 12 posted      Profile for HopefulHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew that night wasn't the "forum" to discuss my religion. I'm not as knowlegeable in the word as I need to be to face the "wolves". When asked questions why this and that? I want to be armed with where to turn in the Bible to answer those questions. The Holy Spirit was "all up in me" that night telling me to just be quiet and say "I'm not drinking, It just doesn't do anything for me anymore". I felt very strong too. It was amazing how tall I stood and aware I was.

Well Happy Easter all!

JoAnn (Jo)

--------------------

Posts: 21 | From: Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by HopefulHeart:
I thanked God for staying with me all night against temptation. I wanted to blurt out a couple times that I had these changes because I'm a Christian now so get used to it and get off my back, but something kept holding me back. Maybe God scensed that the time to tell everyone wasn't while they're all drunk and argumentative, or maybe I was too afraid to speak up because of that. I opt for the 1st one, God wasn't going to let me go in to a pack of wolves unarmed and alone. He will give me the perfect moment with the right words when they are ready to absorb what I'm telling them. me.

That was great judgment not to speak to your guests when they were drinking - the matter could have escalated to a dangerous level.

When we become born-again believers, sin becomes very disgusting and you are not going to have an easy road HopefulHeart. Sometimes you will find that you have to seek the face of Jesus every moment of every day.

When we see the difficulties that Forever His has come through we learn that the weaker we are, the stronger God becomes through his endless grace and strength to help us overcome daily trials.

Psalm 119:42
Then shall I have an answer for those who taunt and reproach me, for I lean on, rely on and trust in Your word.

You will have to totally lean on him for wisdom and guidance through prayer, discernment and the scriptures.

Will be praying for you HopefulHeart. God Bless you and your family. [Cross]

HopefulHeart
Advanced Member
Member # 4525

Icon 18 posted      Profile for HopefulHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here's a report on last nights activities. I had to work at the Chapel for their Good Friday Services and when I came home my hubby was 3 sheets to the wind, our friends were over and our kids were still up. Remember they're two and three and it was about 8:30pm...they usually go to bed at 8pm. No biggy, I give the kids hugs and they saw the "Daily Bread" pamphlet from the Chapel and wanted me to read, so I took them up to bed and read a few entries. Hubby told me how good I'm doing and that he loves me and is proud of me...inferring to my Christianity. Well after all that, I went outside with everyone and had my glass or two of wine and stopped drinking. That was my limit. Nobody liked that I wasn't drinking and they were giving me all kinds of grief, but I stood my ground and stayed sober all night [thumbsup2] . Hubby got so drunk, I know he won't remember events of the night. In the middle of the night he got up and peed on our bedroom carpet. All he had to do was roll out of bed and he was in the bathroom, but he managed to walk all around the bed to the bedroom door to pee on the floor. That is untolerable. I don't know how to deal with him today when he get's up, if he gets up today. We have a Unit Easter Party this afternoon and well...he'll be hungover. I prayed that the devil be taken out of him and our home. I thanked God for staying with me all night against temptation. I wanted to blurt out a couple times that I had these changes because I'm a Christian now so get used to it and get off my back, but something kept holding me back. Maybe God scensed that the time to tell everyone wasn't while they're all drunk and argumentative, or maybe I was too afraid to speak up because of that. I opt for the 1st one, God wasn't going to let me go in to a pack of wolves unarmed and alone. He will give me the perfect moment with the right words when they are ready to absorb what I'm telling them. I can't wait to dive into all the information links that you all have given me. Thank You!

--------------------

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 7 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the Body of Messiah HopefulHeart! And here to the BBS! I hope you’ll find this place to be a great Blessing and help in your walk with the Lord. As our Sister Linda said, there are many here who are strong in the Lord and are a great Blessing! I wanted to welcome you before I head off for vacation. So if you don’t see me around for a week or so you’ll know I’m not ignoring y’all… I’m just on vacation

Here are some online resources that I’ve found very helpful myself. I hope they’ll be a Blessing to you as well!

http://gotquestions.org/archive.html
Frequently Asked Bible Questions

This site is put together by a group of Fundamental Christian Pastors and is a wonderful online resource when you have a question and no one around to help you find the answer!

http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html
Audio Bible Online

Here you can “Listen” to the King James Version of any book of the Bible, any chapter in that book, and also read along. I’ve found it to be extremely helpful in understanding to hear as well as read God’s Word! My reading comprehension isn’t all that good [Wink]

http://www.biblegateway.com/
Bible Gateway

Here you can look up scripture (either by passage or by keyword) in several different versions of the Bible. They also have other resources on this page, but I haven’t really figured out how to use those yet LOL. You could even use this to find out what the Bible has to say about drinking. Use the "Keyword" search and type in "Drink" and/or "Drunk" and it will show you all the places in the Bible where it speaks about this. You can click on it and read whichever passage you choose.

As for advice on how to help your family I’d say the best things you can do is to Pray for them, encourage them to walk with you, and show them by example. As the Lord works in your heart, they will see the changes HE makes in you and it will be a witness to them!

God Bless you HopefulHeart [hug]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Welcome HopefulHeart. You seem to have all the proper tools in place to help you with your spiritual walk, but you have so much going on inside, that you are not sure which directon to take next. As a new Christian, try to keep your focus simple and take one day at a time.

I'm sure the fictional Left Behind series, which apparently is Biblically well based, has given you a foundation in order to begin understanding the Bible, but it shouldn't replace the Bible as H4HS says. I am glad to see you have moved onto the Bible.

You are what you learn. Anger was learned from your family and you will have to turn this bad habit over to God in order for it to be uprooted. You have been given some great advice in this thread.

quote:
Originally posted by HopefulHeart:
I also have a problem with the drink. I'm not an alcoholic, but I'm walking the thin line. My dad says that you can have a beer and such, you just can't be "drunkard". Is that true, in the word, that you can drink, but just not be drunk and out of yourself? I really need to know that. I feel that God is telling me that he doesn't want me to have it at all.

If you feel in your heart that there is a problem with alcohol, there must be a problem. Some can drink a glass or two of wine, and it doesn't bother them at all. For others it is a dangerous weakness and they shouldn't touch it . You say that you believe that God is telling that he doesn't want you to have it at all. Listen to your conscience and no one else. We must never argue with God; He knows what is best for us.
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
got this in my email today

Dealing With Anger
by Claire Colvin

Getting cut off in traffic, a missed deadline, spilt coffee, a cranky child - it doesn't take much to upset us these days.

A recent study by Yale School of Management professor Sigal G. Barsade and Donald Gibson of Fairfield University showed that 1 in 4 Americans feel at least somewhat angry at work. That's a lot of grumpy people in the office. Add to that the frustration of a long commute and imagine what we're like when we get home at night.

Anger is a normal and necessary emotion. How we deal with it makes all the difference. It's a common philosophy that venting anger is good for you. "It's cathartic," we're told. "Just get it out of your system." But expressing anger through yelling, throwing things, or pounding our keyboards has an incredible impact on our co-workers, our families and ourselves. There are decisive steps we can take to bring anger back under our control. The next time you feel your ire rising you can take action to deal with it in a healthy way.

1. Take a deep breath. Believe it or not, pausing to take a deep breath when you're upset really does help. When you're angry your body releases adrenalin that increases your heart-rate and blood pressure, preparing you to run or to fight. Taking a deep breath helps to bring your heart-rate back down and sends a signal to your brain that the adrenalin isn't needed.
2. Remove yourself from the situation. If you feel your anger mounting, walk away from the situation for a moment to give yourself the opportunity to regain control. Tell the other person that you need a minute and will be back. Take some deep breaths, splash water on your face, jump up and down. When you can think clearly return to the situation and deal with it.
3. Communicate your frustration clearly. General statements using "you always" or "I never" rarely reflect the facts and don't solve arguments. Give specific examples of what has happened and how you are feeling. This gives the other person the opportunity to make amends if they are in the wrong, and helps to clear up confusion.
4. Use a journal. If you find that you are often angry, a journal can be a safe place to scream out your frustrations. Let your anger come out through your pen. Write down exactly who you're mad at and why. If you want to tear it up afterwards, go right ahead. Just getting your thoughts down on paper can be cathartic, and this way no one gets hurt.
5. Learn your triggers. Pay special attention to what it is that triggers your anger and then take action when you find yourself in those situations. If you know that you are more susceptible to anger when you're tired for example, don't have major discussions with your spouse late in the evening. Give yourself permission to say, "This really isn't a good time for me to discuss this. Can we talk about it _____" and set a specific time to discuss it. Setting a time and sticking to it shows the other person that you are not trying to avoid the topic but are genuinely seeking to find a solution.

If anger is becoming a major part of your life get in touch with a counselor. A licensed counselor can help you find the root of your anger and give you specific strategies for dealing with it.

~ Claire Colvin is the Editor of Women Today Magazine. She has a B. A. in English from Trinity Western University and thinks people should go barefoot more often.

hope it helps,
betty
in my family depression runs rampant, which is anger turned inward. so i can relate, hon.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulHeart
Advanced Member
Member # 4525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I will see if they have it, if not, It might be at our book store. These are the things I'm talking about. You all know some books and scripture and web sites that lead me to answers I need now, to help me grow. I think I'm gonna like it here. [type]

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Merciful God of Prophecy by Tim LaHaye

HopefulHeart check that book out of the library. You will see where Tim was coming from with his Left Behind books.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulHeart
Advanced Member
Member # 4525

I SO know what you mean about the anger. Especially when I get mad toward my husband and kids. I don't lash out like that with strangers, why woule or do I do it to my close loved ones? I realized just yesterday, I was very hateful inside and was taking it out on hubby. I was letting him know that I was having conflict within myself and I'm sorry for aiming it at him. I just realized that it was within myself with evilness and it wasn't anything anyone else do to me. I also have a problem with the drink. I'm not an alcoholic, but I'm walking the thin line. I told hubby that I wasn't going to drink the same anymore, maybe some wine now and then because Jesus drank and spoke of wine. My dad says that you can have a beer and such, you just can't be "drunkard". Is that true, in the word, that you can drink, but just not be drunk and out of yourself? I really need to know that. I have guilt because hubby brought liquer home and I'm having one drink. I feel that God is telling me that he doesn't want me to have it at all. So I guess I just answered my own question as for what I need to do about it, but still, what does it say or mean for real in the Bible? I don't know all my scriptures and where to find certain things yet.

I will definetly talk with you about sending some things that I may need. I know that the Library here can get things, but it usually takes a couple of months for them to do their thing. Mail goes much faster than that. I have some books that my dad and step mom have sent. Things like the Praying Wife and Perhaps Today, things like that. I'm interested in the Facing Forever tapes. Do you know anything about those or where I can get my hands on them? The Chapel hasn't even heard of them.

I also realized that it's not asking God for forgiveness once and you're saved, it starts with that first time and you feel him with you, but you have to ask for him to help you everyday. If you look a way for one minute, evil snatches you up. I feel like I have to keep my eyes on God as though I'm staring. Do you understand my analogy?

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes we know where you are; My husband grew up in Stuttgart and in Heidelberg. If we can help you get resources for Bible study etc over there let us know, you can PM (Private Message) us your APO and any requests of what might be helpful resource wise, my husband and I sort of collect Christian books and I want to someday have a mobile Christian library that takes books to shut ins and so we collect them where ever we can get a deal and we will certainly share anything we might have or hunt for anything over here that I can and mail to you. It is always nice to have friends on both sides of the ocean.

I can totaly relate to the anger thing. God has pretty much delivered me from a terrible anger and temper. I used to curse worse than any sailor and I could shred you to pieces with my tongue. I was also a thrower and a hitter. But God took all that from me. Today I lose my temper very very infrequently.

It was a process; I often say that my walk has been like peeling an onion layer by layer. With the anger, he began to work in me first to feel repentant after I did it, and then after a time that changed so that I could stop midstream, then after a time, it was before it happened and now, I almost never even get angry and if I do it does not last and most of the time it does not cause me to sin.

So, I would say that your battle is a good and positive start. It means you know and desire not to do it. I think Romans is a great comfort when we struggle with this kind of sin because Paul talks about doing what you dont want to do and the things you do want to do you dont.

I think also perhaps the most influential thing for me in shedding this layer was to understand spiritual warfare and that we don't battle with people, we battle with forces of evil. There is a war going on in the heavenlies nd it is played out in our lives. When I fight with my spouse I am not really fighting with my spouse, but it is the enemy trying to get between me and my spouse and get a foothold in the door to kill steal and destroy. You have to first bind the strong man to take spoils from his property and this is what the enemy does.

So Ephesians 6 talks about our armour and about spiritual warfare. the same thing applies to our own internal battles with our flesh. It is the enemy that sits on your shoulder and say oh... go ahead....a little sin never hurt anyone.

Another thing that helped was knowing that God forgives us for the most horrible offenses againt him and so we have no right to not forgive our brother.

Anyway, just find a thread and jump in or start your own. There are a fantastic group of brothers and sisters here. Some very strong in the Lord and very sound in doctrine. I have been here about 3 years and I have found some wonderful prayer partners, encourager and friends and God has used them to teach me much. Since he is not a respector of persons I am sure he will do the same for you.

God Bless and Keep you and your house.
Linda

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulHeart
Advanced Member
Member # 4525

Hello Linda,

Yes, I know that the Left Behind Series is Fiction, but it does help a little to understand what it could be like in the Rapture. You're loved ones disappearing and then having to learn the hard way that the Bible, Jesus and everything else is true.

What I meant by giving me everything I needed to get started was advice. My Dad and step-mom are Christians, well step-mom for sure isn't being left behind, my dad, like me, have anger issues to deal with before we can be better christians. Back to the subject, he gave me my Bible in 2000 with directions to start with the New Testament, gave me Mathew, John, and Acts, etc. to start out understanding. You know, things like that. Mathew is actually pretty good, it helps me understand about the Harvest and speaking his name to others even if they tell me to shut up, not to be afraid of mentioning Him. My husband is behind me, but still not ready to take Christianity head on. I'm teaching my little ones about Jesus as much as they can understand.

I speak of an anger problem because it takes over sometimes and you would think I have Terets or something [mad2] (I don't know if that's spelled right). I pray when it starts. "Please Lord, I can't stop feeling this way, take my anger away, I don't want it". I want to hit and break things and I just blurt out yelling and cursing. Inside, looking out, I feel trapped. I learned this lovely behavior from my father in aggression and my mother in persistance.

I live in the Bavarian area right now. Just a hop, skip and a jump to Czech and Switzerland. Vilseck/Grafenwoehr/Hoenfels is the military area. Do you know it? Embarassingly, I haven't learned the language, I know enough to get me what I need when I need it.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hopeful Heart, welcome to the family of God! It is always a joy to meet new brothers and sisters in Christ.

Your life seems a bit hectic! Where are you in Germany? My father in law is a retired Col. in the Army, He is here at home now after 24 years in Germany alone; My husband and his siblings are Army brats and have lived in every state and in Korea and in Germany. But they really grew up in Germany and loved Germany, it is still home to all of them in their hearts in many ways. They all speak fluent German and were raised on the economy and attended German school.

As to what you need? If you are born again, you have it.. the indwelling Holy Spirit, the written word, Christ. What more could we ask for? Except perhaps to grow each day more and more like HIM.

I would caution you to enjoy the Left Behind books as just what they are...entertainment. Don't build your beliefs or your doctrines on them they are fiction. HIS word is TRUTH.

GOD Bless you and your house and I look forward to getting to know you.

Love in Christ,
Linda

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulHeart
Advanced Member
Member # 4525

Icon 6 posted      Profile for HopefulHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praise Jesus, I found you all. I just started reading the Bible and getting to know Jesus. I knew him for awhile, but wasn't ready to walk with him. Now I am, and it's a hard path.
I'm 32, Wife of and Army Sergent (prior Army myself), mostly a stay-at-home mom, but I do work at the daycare at a Chapel on post a few hours a week and I go to College. We are stationed in Germany and the problem I have here is that there is limited resources for services and studies. I have found a service that meets Sunday evenings (because I work Sun. mornings at the regular chapel), but I don't know if they will be what I need right now. I'm going to try to get my husband and children 2 & 3 years old to walk Christ's path with me, but I need to be better at it myself so that I can help them along. So I found this site.

First off, give me what ever you think I need to help get me started. I started reading the New Testament...I'm still on Mathew. I have read some of the Left Behind series which are awsome so I know some about the Rapture, but with everything else in the Bible, it's a little confusing. I have this song in my head that I heard at a service, but I can't find it anywhere. "I want to be like Jesus. I want eyes that see you, ears that hear from you, feet that follow you, I want to be just like you". Can anyone help me find it?

So hear I am!!! [wave3] You look great!

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement