Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Christianity protrayed on TV shows

Author Topic: Christianity protrayed on TV shows
cheech
Advanced Member
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've received some good answers. To be honest, I have to say Christianity is portrayed the way it is because it's become lax. Churches may teach what the bible says but not all follow it. You hear some "Amens" but as soon as they leave the church, they are back to doing what they shouldn't be doing. We are all human and all slip...that's not what I'm talking about though. Also, we are preached at not to do this or that but the ones preaching don't always follow their own teachings. People want the church (any church) to conform to the world, loosen up, etc but when you do this, you go against the teachings of God. A prime example is the situation with the new pope. Catholics were hoping to get a pope that was more modern, but they got one that is very conservative and wishes to stick with the word of God instead of conforming with the world. I at least have to commend this action.

I feel we live in a world that, at times, can be easily led astray and that is something to fear. I don't think christians always realize that how they act out in the world is how people see them and view them. I, myself, have had to grapple with this. We must set a good example, but we can see how the world views us. Sad, isn't it.

cheech

--------------------
My God Is My Faith

Posts: 35 | From: KS | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Waterdog
Advanced Member
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waterdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Desperate Housewives last night there were a couple of good Protestant characters! [clap2]

--------------------
So let us go forth to Him outside the camp (Heb 13:11-14)
 -  -

Posts: 374 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
water dog,

There are Protestant characters on TV. We are the ones yelling at the homosexuals, that one in the crowd yelling " You losy Qu---, we are going to kill you!" or at the abortion clinic planting a bomb.

This is how the America sees Protestants. I wrote NBC complaining about the protryal of Protestants one time. How I had been in Protestant Churches all my life and had never know one person who hated homosexuals. That yes we ackwoldege it was a sin but that we were taught to hate the sin and love the sinner. Nor had I know one person to blow up an abortion clinic. I never heard back.

You don't see a Protestant on TV protrayed as a loving caring logical intellengt person. It is truly sad.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Roman Catholic Church has a more active and visible *PR department, not to mention extravagent props...

*Priestly Reinforcement [Wink]

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Waterdog
Advanced Member
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waterdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I hate even more is that every time there's anything to do with religion on tv or in movies, the religion is always Catholicism and the religious people are always Catholic! Why are Catholics seen as having the market on God? I'd love, just once, to see a Protestant character!!

--------------------
So let us go forth to Him outside the camp (Heb 13:11-14)
 -  -

Posts: 374 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you noticed Archie Bunker in 'All in the Family'?...Now that is one very bad example...
Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 11 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it not odd that the world expects a Christian to be perfect. If a Christian makes a human mistake, he or she is a hypocrite. You hear someone say that he can't be a sport fan, he actually did not watch every game last season. Or he can't be a musican because he can only play one instrument. The world looks at Christian and they are jealous of a Christian and their faith, so they look for the person to stumble and when it happens, well that person is a fake.

Thank God, He is not looking for perfect people, but people who will worship and serve Him.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshey
Community Member
Member # 4271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joshey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hear ya,
there was a movie that came out recently called saved. it had macauly calkin (yay i cant spell) it was about a christian high school, and was pretty weird, but they put christians in a hypocritical light, but in a sense its pretty accurate on how alot of "christians" are. i personally can somewhat relate to it,

btw i dont think i'd recommend it.

Posts: 9 | From: Nova Scotia Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that show, too and I also was waiting for them to make the mother out to be a monster.
The world is slowy making those who go by God's law look like the bad guy. They don't say Pro Abortion, they say Pro Choice. Those who promote homosexual causes are looked at as being tolerant and understanding while those who believe it is a sin are haters. The devil has turned the truth in to a lie and a lie into the truth. I believe that the left behind books are probably right that when the rapture takes place the world will decided that those who were taken were taken because they were intolerant and "unteachable".
It will be easier for them to believe that they were left behind because they have an open mind, than to believe that they were left for rejecting Jesus.

--------------------

redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching ER last week, and one of the story lines involved a lesbian character who reconnects with her mother who had given her up for adoption as a newborn. The mother was a Christian. I kept waiting for them to make her look the fool, but it didn't quite play out that way. Although, she refused to accept the homosexual part of her daughter, she said she loved her anyway. But, the character, which they made to look the hero, refused her love without acceptance. It was interesting. I'm sure most still viewed the mother as "intolerant", but it wasn't as bad as I thought they would make her out to be.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We disconected from the TV airwaves 4 or 5 years ago, I will I had done it sooner. Hadn't been to a movie in about 11 or 12 years.

You know if all that claim to be Christians, stopped watching Television all together and going to the Movies, the producers of that trash would change what they make or go broke.

But as long as everyone continues to watch thier trash and they continue to pervert the minds of the people nothing will change.

There are a few such as Bob Jones Filmes, Moody Science Videos and such that are worth a Christians time, they teach good meassages, uplift Spirit and edify the soul of the child of Yahweh. These are the kind of things we should think on.

But then it doesn't really matter what we watch, we are eternally saved????????

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

They did a study about this recently. In America, NBC is the worst. I emailed them and complained, not that I got a response. Most Christians are showed as people who blow up abortion clinics and doctors or yell hate messages at gays. I told NBC that I have been a Christian, 45 years and have never been a member of an organization that supports blowing up clinics nor have I ever yelled hateful things to someone because they are gay. In fact in my 45 years as a Christian, I have never know anyone who did any of these things. Yes there are people who commit crimes under the name of Christianity. But real Christians go to work, go to Church, and do their best to be good citizens of our Country.
The truth is that people who make their living making fun of people have run out of people to make fun of. Because groups have stood up for them self, rightly so, for their rights not to be abused. So, now Christians are be used as jokes.
Should Christians unite and fight? I honest don't know. I believe we can write letters and complain but I don't know about any other action.

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think i've seen that same English "comedy"... in the episode I saw, the head priest, was "feeling up" one of the nuns that was there.

My family is English and I find this view of Christianity to be prevalent to the point that none of them really believe in God at all, some are even avid athiests. They all think that if there is a God, then he loves everyone the same and we'll all go to heaven whether we act "Christian" or not.

It's just frustrating to watch a tv show with your family and they are all laughing about the "christians". I've tried to tell them that not all christians are like that, but they just say that all christians are the same and bring up my "past" as examples. So i just ignore it or walk out of the room now.

It's sad the way the world is going down, and so quickly too. I'm ready for Yah'shua to return!

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like many other characters on TV, they are often exaggerations. Unfortunately, Christians are often viewed as hypocritical, therefore you will see these types of characters to the extreme. They are always portrayed as the over-the-top types and made to look like bafoons. One time I made a similar comment about this to my roommate (who is not a Christian), and he defended TV saying that is the way most Christians are. It's sad that that is the perception in today's world, and it's up to us to change that.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can top that one. I saw an English comedy where two priests were smoking, playing cards, drinking and cursing all within five minutes into one scene. [Eek!]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else get mad when they see how Christianity is protrayed on TV shows?

I saw this one show the other night and this teen was talking about Jesus and being saved and in his hands he has a beer and is offering another teen vodka shots. The kid was clearly drunk, but he was the only "christian" example on the show.

I've seen this happen a lot lately. Whenever Christianity is mentioned, the person that's a Christian is protrayed as a real loser.

Anyway, i just wanted other people's opinions on this.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement