Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » A reason to VOTE and vote for Bush!

Author Topic: A reason to VOTE and vote for Bush!
Ripp
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(AgapePress) - I was sitting in a prayer meeting the other day with one of America's preeminent Old Testament scholars. He interceded on behalf of the nation with supplication: "Oh, God, please don't give us the political leadership we deserve."

Quite a prayer.

What we deserve? A nation that countenances 1.5 million abortions a year. What we need -- churches and politicians willing to fight the culture of death that only begins with the issue of abortion and extends to all manner of life issues.

What we deserve? A growing deficit with no plan to deal with the an ungodly, titantic national debt. What we need -- a president and two houses of Congress willing to apply fiscal restraint to their spendthrift ways and growing government domination of the national lifestyle.

What we deserve? A weak-kneed commander-in-chief who goes soft on terror. What we need -- a president who will stare down the thugs of the world whether at home or abroad without sticking his finger in the air to find out which way the pollsters' winds are blowing.

What we deserve? The casting of Judeo-Christian definitions to the wind, most particularly at the point of marriage. What we need -- leadership that says just because the meaning of marriage can be found in the Bible doesn't render it illegitimate for public policy.

We could go back and forth this way for pages.

But the point ought to be clear. What we deserve -- not pretty. What we can have by the grace of God and acting as the responsible people He has called us to be -- a republic capable of renewing itself in the palm of His hand.

And what is the necessary thought leading up to the election? Evangelicals have grown used to a pat answer in the form of a line out of II Chronicles 7:14 (which is not a "pat" verse): " ... if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

My hunch is that not nine in ten of the people who quote that verse know its powerful context.

Those were the Lord's words, of course, delivered to Solomon after he had finished building the temple of the Lord and the royal palace. But that divine utterance by no means contained the full-orbed message of God's appearance to the king.

The Almighty continued: "But if you turn away and forsake the decrees and commands I have given you and go off to serve other gods ... then I will uproot Israel ... will reject this temple ... will make it a byword and an object of ridicule ... [people] will be appalled and say, 'Why has the Lord done such a thing' ... People will answer, 'Because they have forsaken the Lord ....'"

Solomon ended up hating life, declaring his own time on earth meaningless and the latter prophecy above came to pass.

Solomon and his nation, in other words, got what they deserved.

Want a good sermon to preach this weekend, or a timely Sunday school lesson? Start in the historical account of II Chronicles 7:14 and continue, as most memorizers of Bible passages have not done, through the end of the chapter.

And then remember to pray along with my friend: "God, give us grace, grace, grace, this election. And please, not what we deserve."

And then go vote.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting the heart-wrenching quotes.

The election is truly a life and death decision. I choose George Bush and a vote for life.

God bless you.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ordinary_Unimportant
Member # 3718

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Ordinary_Unimportant   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is to move towards stopping the killing of unborn babies. There have been 44 million abortions in the U.S and over 4000 a day. I have a site at http://clinicquotes.topcities.com which contains a huge list of quotes from current and former abortion clinic staff and doctors about the abortion 'business.' It's a real eye opener for anyone who cares about this issue. That is where the following quotes come from. With justice Renquist ill with cancer and all of the Supreme Court Justices near retirement age, there will most likely be openings in the Supreme Court for the next president to fill. John Kerry supports abortion and will add justices to the Supreme Court who will ensure it stays legal for the forseeable future.

Some quotes from the site:

"It [the unborn] is a form of life...This has to be killing...The question then becomes "is this kind of killing justifiable? In my own mind, it is justifiable..."
--abortionist quoted in "Democrat and Chronicle" 7/5/92
----------------------------------------------------------
"After an abortion, the doctor must inspect these remains to make sure that all the fetal parts and placenta have been removed. Any tissue left inside the uterus can start an infection. Dr. Bours squeezed the contents of the sock into a shallow dish and poked around with his finger. "You can see a teeny tiny hand' he said.

--abortion clinic worker quoted in "Is the Fetus Human?" and in Dudley Clendinen, "The Abortion Conflict: What it Does to One Doctor" New York Times Magazine Aug 11 1985 p 26
------------------------------------------------------
I wanted to be the world’s best abortionist, for the good of my patients. If I was going to do this, I was going to do it right. So, after I met each patient, reviewed the medical information gathered by my nurse, examined the patient and performed the abortion, I would then carefully sift through the remains to be sure all the parts were accounted for. I had to find four extremities (two arms and two legs) a spine, a skull, and the placenta, or my patient would suffer later from an incomplete abortion...My attention was so focused on my perceived patient that I managed to deny that there were, in fact, two patients involved- the expectant mother and a very small child...I had to wonder, how can having a child be so wrong for some people that they will pay me to end its life?"
--former abortionist Dr. McMillan "How One Doctor Changed Her Mind About Abortion" Focus on the Family, Colorado Springs
-----------------------------------------------------
"No one, neither the patient receiving an abortion, nor the person doing the abortion, is ever, at anytime, unaware that they are ending a life..."
--Abortion provider William F Harrison, MD, FACOG, from the essay "Why I Provide Abortions" 1996.
---------------------------------------------------
From “Berkeley Medical Journal” Spring 1995 Edition “The Abortionist” by LeoWang

"Abortion is killing the fetus....Human life, in and of itself, is not sacred. Human life, per se, is not inviolate." --abortionist Dr. Smith
-----------------------------------------------------------
In the book "Abortion: Debating the Issue" (New York:Enslow Publishing, Inc., 1995) Nancy Day quotes abortionist Dr. Ed Jones, who had worked at a Planned Parenthood Clinic for 4 years at the time of the interview, saying the following:

"This can burn you out very, very quickly...not so much by the physical labor as the emotional part of what's going on. When you do an ultraound, particularly if you have children, and you see a fetus there, kicking, moving, living, doing things that your own child does, bringing it's thumb to its mouth, and things like that- it's difficult. Then, after the procedure, sometimes we have to actually look at the specimen, and you see arms and legs and things like that torn off...It does take an emotional toll."
From "Lovejoy: A Year in the Life of an Abortion Clinic" one worker says

"I have never denied that human life begins at conception. If I have a complaint about our society, its that we don't deal with death and dying. Do we believe human beings have a right to make decisions about death and dying? Yes we do, and those decisions are made every day in every hospital."
----------------------------------------------------------
From "Abortion at Work: Ideology and Practice in a Feminist Clinic" by Wendy Simonds. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 1996. Quotes from clinic workers:

"It's just- I mean it looks like a baby. It looks like a baby. And especially if you get one that comes out, that's not piecemeal. And you know, I saw this one, and it had its fingers in its mouth...it makes me really sad that that had to happen, you know, but it doesn't change my mind. It's just hard. And it makes me just sort of stop and feel sad about it, the whole necessity of it. And also....it's very warm when it comes into the sterile room because it's been in the mother's stomach. It feels like flesh, you know..."

"It's going to be weird now because you're going to see the sono. You're going to see the heart beating- little hearts, you know- and then, all of a sudden, you're going to put his cardiac medicine in it to make it stop- to kill it. So you're going to see the exact moment when you kill the fetus. I won't kill it, the doctor will kill it...and, I mean, it might be more humane...[if] the fetuses do feel something, why not kill it, you know, fast, [rather] than rip its leg off?"

"At nine weeks...you start seeing fetal parts. And by the second trimester it's, you know, it's a baby, and by eighteen weeks it's definitely a baby. And by like, you know, twenty-two weeks, you go in and you watch someone do a sonogram, and you're like, "Oh my." There it is just moving, moving around. And it's really hard because I always thought of abortion in terms of just the woman, just her body."

"You're looking between the woman's legs; you're seeing, you know, what the doctor's doing. And it's what a lot of people would call kind of, I guess, gruesome- that's not really the word because- it's identifiable. I mean, when he...takes the forceps and pulls out a foot, you can see the foot, and my reaction- because I feel so strongly that women who want to have a twenty week abortion should be able to have that- but I mean when I look and was just like, you know, my first reaction was, you know, I was pretty horrified."

"So by it looking like a baby, you're associating it with yourself because...you used to be a baby, you used to be a fetus."

"...when you're, you know, putting a fetus's feet in over its head in a baggie, there's just this brief moment of "This could have been me," which I fundamentally believe is okay. She should have the right to choose..."

"...it looks like a baby, That's what it looks like to me. You've never seen anything else that looks like that. The only other thing you've ever seen is a baby...You can see a face and hands, and ears and eyes and, you know...feet and toes...It bothered me real bad the first time..."

"The destruction I can't deny....I wish we lived in a world where abortion didn't have to exist."

"You know, we still say "products of conception." Well, why don't we say it looks like- you know, a twenty-week fetus looks like a baby. Why can't we say that in public? Because that's what the antis say, you know."

"I think the tough part was seeing actual pieces of fetus being removed..And in the beginning, yes, I remember looking, standing behind this woman's shoulder [as she performed an early second- trimester-abortion] and thinking, "I can't do this...There's something emotionally upsetting about this..Features are discernible; you can count five fingers on a hand and five toes on a foot. You know, all the organ systems are formed. You know, you can see ears as structures, and the nose and eyes as structures...I have gotten to the point now that because I've been doing this work five months, four months, I look at it a little differently. I don't see the same things that I did. And, honestly, when I sit down to do one of these now, I am watching to be sure that I'm getting everything that I need to get. It's 'Do I have two lower extremities? Do I have two upper extremities? Is t here a spine? ...and the skull?...It does become a bit routine after a while. I don't fear it."

"I hate it when people put it together to look like a baby. I
hate that...I don't want to look like it when its like that because it's like a broken doll, and that grosses me out."

From the author: "Many health workers told me they 'never look at the face' when processing tissue."
---------------------------------------------------------
John Kerry fully supports partial birth abortion, a procedure where a live infant is delivered except for the head and then killed. One formerly pro-choice nurse who worked at The Women's Center where abortions are performed described what she saw before the Supreme Court. From the sworn testimony of Brenda Pratt Shafer, RN:

"I stood at the doctor’s side and watched him perform a partial-birth abortion on a woman who was six months pregnant. The baby’s heartbeat was clearly visible on the ultrasound screen. The doctor delivered the baby’s body and arms, everything but his little head. The baby’s body was moving. His little fingers were clasping together. He was kicking his feet. The doctor took a pair of scissors and inserted them into the back of the baby’s head, and the baby’s arms jerked out in a flinch, a startle reaction, like a baby does when he thinks that he might fall. Then the doctor opened the scissors up. Then he stuck the high-powered suction tube into the hole and sucked the baby’s brains out. Now the baby was completely limp. I never went back to the clinic. But I am still haunted by the face of that little boy. It was the most perfect, angelic face I have ever seen."
Do we want to elect as our president a man who supports this kind of killing? I hope not.

--------------------
"People are immoral, irrational, and self-centered. Love them anyway."
--From an enscription found on one of Mother Theresa's orphanages

Posts: 4 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement