Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Help with an exchange

Author Topic: Help with an exchange
Endoxos
Advanced Member
Member # 2929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endoxos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1

Being soft spoken is good, being loud and angry tends to upset people in generally-non-helpful ways. If I were a non-believer, I'd rather be gently shown how I was a sinner (ie, "Have you kept God's commandments? Have you ever told a lie? What do you think that makes you? Do you think God likes it when we break His laws?") as opposed to being force-fed how I'm a sinner ("You're a SINNER! You're going to HELL if you don't change your ways!"). As a Christian, I'd rather gently hear and be shown how I was wrong (ie "Look at these verses here... what do they say? Read them, word for word. The Bible doesn't lie"), then face a loud explanation as to how I'm wrong ("You're wrong, simple as that!")... because, personally, I'm prone to getting angry, and if someone "force-feeds" me what I believe to be wrong ideas, they will instantly get me yelling back (and often I speak mistakenly, because my brain tends to shut off as soon as I begin to yell). If I am spoken softly to, I can respond more pleasantly and thoughtfully.

The only time yelling is useful is in situations where you can't be heard well (such as street preaching without a micro/mega-phone), or for occasional emphasis (such as speaking of what the Bible says of hell).

--------------------
My signature is apisdn umop.

Posts: 362 | From: HELP! I'm stuck in a DOS window! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I see where you are coming from. I can only speak for myself. But, yelling at me or trying to pressure me into anythings doesn't work.(many a salesman has lost a sale with that approach with me) I believe in the softer approach. Only one someone is teaching against God's Word, will I speak up and correct that person.
God bless you, dear!

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty, I may be as confused as you are about what is the arguement. [Confused] But let me see if I can explain this whole thing as simply as possible...

At first, my whole idea was just to try to explain that we should boast in the Lord and not ourselves. But then, somehow, the discussion turned from being about this, to how one should witness...

Whether or not it was a good thing to always preach at people in a very vocal manner and with the mentality of a drill sargeant. Or does the loud approach draw attention to one-self and away from the Lord, and turn people off; henceforth, that it would be better to teach the gospel using a softer approach with care and love--yet bearing in mind that at times great emphasis might be necessary for rebuke, warning and correction.

Today I was reading Philippians 1:15-18 where Paul explains how rejoices, whether the motives be false or true, that the Gospel is being preached. So I don't know, maybe that's the answer--that in every way, just to take joy in that the Gospel is being preached.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure what the argument is. Is the argument over using capital letters for emphasis?
On most boards using all capital letters is considered rude and yelling at someone but you are allowed to use all caps in words for emphasis.
Like: I LOVE Jesus. I HATE sin.
I hope that helps you.

As far as boasting. Paul says our boasting should be in the Lord and not ourselves.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I was taught that this verse

"See what LARGE LETTERS I use as I write to you with my own hand!", Gal. 6:11

because the thorn in Paul's side was bad eye sight. He dicated his letters to someone to write but the part he wrote with his own hands were very large letters because of his eye sight.

--------------------

Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, I need help with an exchange I am having with someone on another board.

To me, the problem is that Willie (or is it my fault?) has turned my original subject about boasting in the Lord versus doing and saying things which draw attention to oneself and away from the Lord onto an entirely different, more personal subject matter (which I never intended) critiquing how Willie witnesses to others about Christ.

(Just as an aside, I know perfectly well there is a difference between Judging versus Bold Rebuke, Warning and Correction. Jesus and his disciples had a very bold ministry, often with strong stirring words which offended people, but they also witnessed with love and care.)

So read through the exchange and then I'd appreciate some feedback...

ROBBY: I had been doing a study through Galatians and here's a funny verse which is very relevant to this board it seems...

"See what LARGE LETTERS I use as I write to you with my own hand!", Gal. 6:11

Paul speaks on boasting in Gal 6:11-18. Basically, he is talking about how we should not seek to satisfy our own fleshly desires through worldly pursuits and impress others by outwardly things. That is, one shouldn't boast of anything one has, can do, or is, because it's self-seeking and doesn't do anything to bring us closer to God and lift up the cross of Christ. Instead, we must look inwardly to things of the Spirit, lift up the name of Jesus Christ, and rely upon Him.
Some of you might ask why this is important? It's because when we look to Jesus, we become a new creation and we will then have peace and mercy (peace and mercy is nothing which can be brought about by inflating our own ego). Faith in a crucified Savior is alone sufficient for justification.

WILLIE: ~~hi YOURSELF~~ Praise His NAME, don’t EXHALT yourself as you criticize His children, by stepping on their backs.
~~WillieH~~

ROBBY: Funny how your welcome comes across as most unwelcome. Did it really sound like I was trying to exalt myself by stepping on your back or any of our other fellow believers? Then forgive me, but that was never my intention. From my perspective, you really took something personally that was just an observation from my study into Galations and connecting it to what I've seen both past and present on this board.

In this sinful world in which we live, it is easy for us to misunderstand one another. We mean to say one thing and it comes out sounding like another, or at least taken in way which was never intended. At the same time, do not think for one second there is not a place for criticism if it's meant to edify one another. There is also a place to speak to nonbelievers on God's Word.

Perhaps I am not honoring the Lord by pointing out to others that if one is to boast, they should boast Jesus Christ and not themselves?

WILLIE: Robby, I don’t even know you. Let us keep in mind that the tongue is the hardest member for any of us to tame.

I don’t mean offense to you or anyone. However, my use of capital letters is for emphasis, being there are no italics or bold options/parameters on this board. Teaching needs emphasis. Never have I boasted other than in JESUS, and I never shall, for what are we but lumps of clay, formed for His GOOD pleasure, and WILL.

I shall continue to use these capital letters in my posts, because they are necessary. I am NOT a Christian, I am a DISCIPLE of CHRIST. Though many will argue, there IS a difference. I know we can be the friends/family that JESUS intends us to be. He said, "...Come out of her my people" This means some if not ALL of JESUS' people are IN BABYLON. This warning needs to be taught!

~~WillieH~~

ROBBY: Yes, like the big debate in Paul's day about circumcision and uncircumcision, the use capitals really isn't the core dispute, for there is a time to speak with great emphasis and a time to speak gently and softly. Rather, the issue is boasting in Christ versus self-centered motives.

But remember also, Jesus warned about being like the hypocrite who prays aloud standing on the corner to be seen by men (Matt 6:5), because he knew that type of action was conceited and drew one away from the Lord. Not only that, but our Lord also knew how people who were not adherents to the Way would be turned off by such melodrama.

In this sin filled world, it's so very easy to go astray. I'll tell you, I have to go back to the Bible on a daily basis to get my bearings.

WILLIE: Robby: Your soft speaking way is very unoffensive, and I can see that you and I are 2 different representatives of JESUS. The LORD moves me to spell out things, most do NOT accept them even though they are easily seen, and obviously there.

I have no motive other than to be an instrument that JESUS may use. Because it differs from your path, doesn’t mean that it is justly definable by words such as "melodrama". This is name calling, and repentance lies at your door.

If those do not have an ear to hear, then they SHALL NOT hear. You may be amongst those you number as non-adherents if you turn from TRUTH that is presented, then call its representative with back-handed comments, a hypocrite. A hypocrite doesn’t necessarily speak with a loud voice. Most are quietly sitting in pews accepting Satan’s deceptive doctrines and then going out into the world, they softly spread their disease-ridden words to others.

I WILL pray for you. Will you do same for me?

ROBBY: Indeed, a hypocrite does not need a loud voice and when it comes to the luke-warm Churchgoer, loud or soft, none good is done.

Separately, do not think to boast in Christ means one should shout out at others either. If one is so regularly boisterous, I really do think there is a danger of one drawing attention to one-self and away from the Lord, and turning off others from Christ. (As much as the lukewarm Christian quietly accepting and practicing the Devil's lies.)

Furthermore, correction--or to point out what is obvious and true--sometimes needs to be spoken with great emphasis, but sometimes it need to spoken gently and softly. I think there needs to be balance though.

I am my brother's keeper, so (for example) prayer for my fellow saints is something which I try to do.

WILLIE: I can see that you and I contiue to be in opposition. I have tried on 3 occasions to bring this into harmony, but each time you end up finding fault in that which I say. I am a Disciple of JESUS CHRIST, and will go on to teach in the manner I have found to be effective. If you consider it boisterous or shouting, then ignore my posts because they obviously are not for you.

As far as quiet goes, too many people that wear the Christian banner are TOO QUIET. They do not seek GOD, they do not seek to share GOD with others, but QUIETLY keep Him to themselves. I seek not attention, but to PRESENT TRUTH. If my manner of presentation is not for you Robby, so be it.

~~WillieH~~

So there you have it, what do you think? How should the situation be handled?

Posts: 364 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement