Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » New here and In need of advice

Author Topic: New here and In need of advice
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by unbeaten:
I was baptized as a young girl, but never confirmed. My parents didnt take me to church. Actually from what ive been told my grandfather punched the priest when my mom was younger. I began going to a church when I was younger with my best friend. I went for two years, I was the best place ever. I felt so welcome, so at home. My problem? Im older now, and my life is a wreck. I am divorced from an unfaithful husband. Ive heard in the catholic faith (some of which im sorry I dont agree with)-
1) Being divorced and non confirmed, are both reasons Im not allowed to recieve communion
2) when my bf and I are ready to get married, i was told that the catholic church will marry us, but wont reconize us as married. (even tho my divorce was not my fault)
3) My bfs church is a very nice church, but feels very unwelcoming. I miss my church where my pastor knew who I was, I miss youth group. I liked my best friend ericas church before i moved. They had free classes for self help, relationship help, spiritual help. This church people rush in and rush out like Their just their to say "I came" and the pastor shakes your hand on the way out. Has no idea who i am, who my kids or bf is. Does anyone else feel this way?

I was a single divorced mother of two children, now they are grown up.

I'm not Catholic, but I think you may need to seek another church. Would your boyfriend be willing to try another church?

Even if he isn't, he isn't your husband yet, and I would advise you to seek another church that has open arms for young mothers with children.

Are you open to looking into Protestant churches?

There are churches that have good programs for children and for single parents. Divorce isn't the unforgivable sin. In your case, your former husband was unfaithful. It is scripturally allowed for you to be divorced in that situation.

Allow the Lord to grow you up spiritually before you ever remarry. That's my advice from personal experience. Don't go into bondage again.

I found the Lord to be especially close to me, while I was a single Mom, and He supplied all my needs. Jesus is there for you. Read 2 John and Psalms 91. God bless and strenthen you. [Smile]

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 15 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello unbeaten,

Welcome to the Christian BBS. Just a note, this is not a Catholic message board. One needs only to know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. He alone can save you and nothing else. We believe in all Ten Commandments here. Especially the second one that the Catholic’s removed. It was actually written in stone, it states:

Exodus 20:4 -5 (KJV)
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;…

Worshiping images or paying divine honor to any created object (including people) is a violation of this Commandment.

I know this commandment doesn’t exist in the Catholic catechism, but it is there in the KJV Bible and on the Ten Commandments that Moses received written in stone, by God own hand.

So please do some research on this subject. Below is a little story that may help:

Do/Done Religion Store

------------------------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/ky/dodone/RS.html

A modern pilgrim fleeing from The City of Destruction came upon a brightly-lighted building with this bold title. Knowing the need of his heart was true religion, the pilgrim entered the store.

Explaining his need of deliverance, the proprietor was quick to point out the advantages of many of his wares. The pilgrim was first introduced to an ancient Eastern religion, and he marvelled at the multiplicity of gods that was being presented.

"The advantage of this Hindu religion," said the proprietor, "is that it offers not just one god, but thousands or even millions. Some of these may seem strange to you, but each offers its own formulas for life, which are expounded by learned gurus who have devoted their lives to meditative peace. This is one of the best sellers we have today, as it is beginning to catch the attention of Western civilization."

Pilgrim was thoughtful. "Does this give me an assured salvation?"

"Oh, yes. One of our gods tells you that if you go to the holiest spot in India, shave all the hair off your head, and throw it in the river, you get 1,000,000 years in heaven for every hair."

Pilgrim, who was bald, didn't find this too comforting, and, he thought, there is still something I must do. "What other religions do you offer?"

"We have a good modern religion that has received much lore from the East, but is now available to Westerners. It even incorporates the ancient truth that men can become gods, and is being packaged very attractively in America. Its foundations were a bit shaky to start with, as its founder delved into many occult practices, but it has recently achieved great respectability."

"What does this religion demand of me?"

"After your initial conviction of Joseph Smith's prophetic office, you only have to follow the various initiation rites and live your life in accordance with these."

"Does that give me the assurance of heaven?"

"Better than that. You will become a god yourself, and with your plural wives will produce spiritual offspring that will inhabit new worlds, over which you will be in control."

"That sounds interesting. Does this religion solve the sin problem which has been troubling me?"

"The sin of Adam has been paid for by the atoning work of Jesus Christ, but you must atone for your own sins."

"Don't you have anything that really deals with sin?"

"I'm glad you asked, because I have been saving the good one until last. It has a beautiful way to deal with sin, and it starts when you are just a baby. The initiation rite is called Baptism, and it forgives your original sin, and, if you are an adult, all actual sins you may have committed."

"That means then that I am sure of going to Heaven."

"Well, not exactly. You see, as you grow older you commit other sins, but don't worry this religion takes care of them too."

"How?"

"There are a total of seven sacraments, one of which is called Penance, which enables you to confess your sins to God through a man whom He has appointed. This absolves you of sin."

"That means I am sure of going to Heaven?"

"Well, not exactly. There is still punishment due for the sins that have been forgiven, but this religion makes provision for that. You can take away this punishment by doing good works, praying certain prayers and enduring suffering yourself."

"If I do enough of these, am I sure of going to Heaven?"

"Well, not exactly. You never really know if everything is taken care of, but this religion gives you many helps along the way that will aid in your salvation."

"What are some of these?"

"I'm glad you asked that. Let me open this display case, so you can view first-hand all the benefits of this religion to help you attain heaven. Do you see this little piece of cloth with the strings attached. That is called a scapular, and many Roman Catholic teachers tell you that Mary has promised that if you die wearing this you will not go to Hell, and that she would offer you quick release from purgatory."

"So then I would be sure of going to Heaven."

"Well, not exactly. You must be sure you wear the scapular with the right dispositions, but if you are not sure you have done enough, there is much more you can do."

The proprietor pointed out to Pilgrim the many wonders in the display-case of Roman Catholicism. There were Rosaries, Blessed Palms, Ashes, Holy Water, Prayers to the Immaculate Heart, the Sacred Heart, the Holy Face of Jesus, and the Shoulder Wound of Christ. There were exciting stories of sants who, through their virtue, had gone to Heaven and now leave you their excess merits to help sinners along the way. There were pilgrimages, the Stations of the Cross, weekly Mass, the church's blessing on your marriage and even relics of saints long dead that aid in your salvation.

"I could show you much more," said the proprietor, "but this sample gives you a little example of how powerful this Church is to take care of the sin problem and assure you of Heaven."

"After I use all these devotions, then would I be sure of Heaven?"

"Well, not exactly. But we do have the testimony of one of the learned doctors of the Church. His name was Thomas Aquinas, and he was responsible for explaining the central mystery of the Church in the Mass and Transubstantiation."

"Transubstantiation? Whatever is that?"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. This is one of the richest jewels of this Roman Catholic religion. You see, her priests are given the power to say certain words during their weekly religious celebration which actually change a small round wafer into the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ the Saviour. Then, after he offers the sacrifice, he gives you the Host to partake of, so you can have communion with Jesus Christ."

"Then I would certainly be ready for Heaven."

"Well, not exactly. But it all helps."

"How can I know the work for my salvation is done?"

"Getting back to Aquinas, he taught that, all things being equal, you could have a moral certitude of Heaven, even though you must go through Purgatory, where you atone for the rest of your sins."

"But I fled the City of Destruction because I felt the enormity of my sins, and, as a mortal finite human being, could not possibly hope to accomplish my own atonement. In all of this great store, do you not have one religion that will not call me to do something to get to Heaven, but will provide a sure means?"

"Well, we do have this one old-fashioned remedy, but I'm sure you are much too wise a person to be interested in this."

"Please tell me about it," pleaded Pilgrim.

"All right, if you insist. But I must warn you that if you take this religion you will be thought strange by all the folks around you who have been here and have paid good money for the religions of this age, not to mention the millions who through birth have found themselves in one of them, and are quite content to remain just as they are. This religion might even cause you to confront some of them, and that is why I hesitate to mention it to you. Today we are all for brotherhood, not confrontation."

"If it will guarantee forgiveness of my sins, it is what I need."

"I'm afraid I can't explain it very well, so let me find an old Book that tells all about it. I haven't seen it for some time, but I'm sure if I search these dusty shelves, it is here somewhere."

The proprietor began to poke around the corners of his stock, and at length produced a volume that he handed to Pilgrim.

"This may be what you want, my friend, but if you don't find it, come back, because I'm sure I can interest you in something else."

Pilgrim walked out of the store, and opened the Book. As he began to read the pages, the light of God began to dawn upon him (Psalm 119:130). He fully understood his sin and his need, as the Holy Spirit took the Words of God and drove them into his heart. He then read the blessed story of Calvary, and, responding to the urging of the Spirit of God, trusted Christ alone for salvation.

Then he continued to read, and each precious word underlined the work of Christ on his behalf. Knowing God's wonderful salvation, he felt impelled to visit his friends to tell them the good news. He had been told of many religious things he could DO, but God had shown him the work was DONE.

Are you such a pilgrim? Do you trust a completed (DONE) work, or are you trying to DO? Are you telling others this blessed news?

If you have any questions feel free to email me, David Campbell at questions@fishthe.net .

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life and no one comes to the Father execpt through Jesus the Son.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unbeaten
Member # 3753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unbeaten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was baptized as a young girl, but never confirmed. My parents didnt take me to church. Actually from what ive been told my grandfather punched the priest when my mom was younger. I began going to a church when I was younger with my best friend. I went for two years, I was the best place ever. I felt so welcome, so at home. My problem? Im older now, and my life is a wreck. I am divorced from an unfaithful husband. Ive heard in the catholic faith (some of which im sorry I dont agree with)-
1) Being divorced and non confirmed, are both reasons Im not allowed to recieve communion
2) when my bf and I are ready to get married, i was told that the catholic church will marry us, but wont reconize us as married. (even tho my divorce was not my fault)
3) My bfs church is a very nice church, but feels very unwelcoming. I miss my church where my pastor knew who I was, I miss youth group. I liked my best friend ericas church before i moved. They had free classes for self help, relationship help, spiritual help. This church people rush in and rush out like Their just their to say "I came" and the pastor shakes your hand on the way out. Has no idea who i am, who my kids or bf is. Does anyone else feel this way?

Posts: 4 | From: maryland | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wonderful_sky
Advanced Member
Member # 1808

Icon 10 posted      Profile for wonderful_sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Sister Betty!

Welcome to the BBS, I think that all of us are willing to pray for another. I am praying for you now, Unbeaten, that you might find what you need here.

In His Service,
Sky [dance]

--------------------
He who kneels down to God, can stand up to anything [Prayer]

Posts: 220 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of advice. We are just fellow believers like you and as far as I know, no experts but we are willing to pray for you and guide you the best we can.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unbeaten
Member # 3753

Icon 20 posted      Profile for unbeaten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I am new to the board here and am very thankful that I was approved to join! [Smile] I am 25 year old single mom of 2 girls (divorced)
I am in need of some deperate advice if someone will help me [Frown]

Posts: 4 | From: maryland | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement