Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » What is shortest verse in the Bible ?

Author Topic: What is shortest verse in the Bible ?
Spurgeon
Advanced Member
Member # 3401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spurgeon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shortest verse of the Old Testament -
quote:
1 Chronicles 1:25 KJV
25: Eber, Peleg, Reu,

Shortest verse of the New Testament -
quote:
John 11:35 KJV
35: Jesus wept.

Shortest chapter -
quote:
Psalms 117:1-2 KJV
1: O praise the LORD, all ye nations: praise him, all ye people.
2: For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD endureth for ever. Praise ye the LORD.

Longest verse in the bible -
quote:
Esther 8:9 KJV
9: Then were the king's scribes called at that time in the third month, that is, the month Sivan, on the three and twentieth day thereof; and it was written according to all that Mordecai commanded unto the Jews, and to the lieutenants, and the deputies and rulers of the provinces which are from India unto Ethiopia, an hundred twenty and seven provinces, unto every province according to the writing thereof, and unto every people after their language, and to the Jews according to their writing, and according to their language.

Verse containing all letters of the alphabet except J -
quote:
Ezra 7:21 KJV
21: And I, even I Artaxerxes the king, do make a decree to all the treasurers which are beyond the river, that whatsoever Ezra the priest, the scribe of the law of the God of heaven, shall require of you, it be done speedily,

Verse containing all letters of the alphabet except Q -
quote:

Daniel 4:37 KJV
37: Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.

Posts: 39 | From: Cookeville, TN | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 11:
35: Jesus wept.

This is the shortest verse in the Bible. Make them prove you wrong, with Book, Chapter, and Verse.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithbuilders
Community Member
Member # 839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithbuilders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just Passing Through:
I thought it was------Jesus wept, but I was told that is wrong. Does anyone know a shorter one ?? Thanks, Gail

Whoever told you that you were wrong must have a virsion on the Bible that I've never read.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tristanic316
Community Member
Member # 3333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tristanic316     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Jesus wept' is the shortest one i've always known! [Smile]

--------------------
Knowing what you stand for limits what you will fall for.

Have a splendid day!

Posts: 19 | From: tx | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Endoxos
Advanced Member
Member # 2929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endoxos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, that's the shortest verse in the whole Bible. Actually, that's the smallest complete sentence in the Bible as well.

The only way a verse could get any shorter is if they dedicated an entire verse to a single word, ie "Amen" or "Maranatha" or "Selah"... but I don't seem to recall that happening.

--------------------
My signature is apisdn umop.

Posts: 362 | From: HELP! I'm stuck in a DOS window! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Passing Through
Advanced Member
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Passing Through     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was------Jesus wept, but I was told that is wrong. Does anyone know a shorter one ?? Thanks, Gail

--------------------
Gail

Posts: 145 | From: Okee. Fl | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement