Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Lord of the Rings fans here?

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings fans here?
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
depends on her name and age. [pound]

Tyme.

--------------------
I dream of a world.......

Posts: 527 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
One of His sheep
Advanced Member
Member # 3076

Icon 20 posted      Profile for One of His sheep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can a fantasy be Christian and yet remain a fantasy?

--------------------
Unique Christian Adventure books
http://www.aimhigherbooks.com

Posts: 31 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katz
Advanced Member
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ummmmmmm..... i've only read "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" *blush* if i read "The Silver Chair" any time soon, i'll be sure to let you know what i think about it [Smile]

--------------------
Canst thou bind the unicorn...? Job 39:10
handmade beaded jewelry
save a misunderstood dog today!

Posts: 28 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeFan77
Advanced Member
Member # 2973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeFan77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't agree with you more. The Lion the witch and the wardrobe, The voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Magician's Nephew and The last battle all make religious sense to me. What is the "Secret" message in the Silver Chair and Prince Caspian?

Mike

Posts: 81 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katz
Advanced Member
Member # 3040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There are many so called Christians... that teach that there is nothing wrong with ..."The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" and the like, but I tell you in love, it is against the Scriptures and will do your spiritual life nothing but harm.
I respectfully beg to differ...i have read this book several times, both before and after becoming saved. You know they say don't judge a book by its cover, in this case don't judge a book by its title. "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" is actually an allegory (sp?). It has much deeper meaning than what it looks on the surface. Aslan the Lion represents Jesus. Aslan near the end of the book was sacrificed to save the life of a boy who had done wrong. His mane was shaved, his face was spat in, he was beaten and taunted, and he took it all without a word, then he was killed. He was slain by the witch, who represents Satan. Beautiful and terrible to look at, pretty words and trinkets to temp people with, but a terrible temper when crossed. The witch sacrificed Aslan in the place of a boy she had tempted to betray his brothers and sisters. When Aslan rose again, Aslan and his army of good creatures fought a great battle against the witch and her army. Some of the creatures in Aslan's army were good creatures who the witch had turned into stone, Aslan brought them back to life by BREATHING on them (breath of life???). Aslan and his army won the fight and the witch was killed.

I actually enjoyed this book MORE after i got saved because i could suddenly appreciate it just that much more.

--------------------
Canst thou bind the unicorn...? Job 39:10
handmade beaded jewelry
save a misunderstood dog today!

Posts: 28 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeFan77
Advanced Member
Member # 2973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeFan77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard through the rumor mill the Lewis' works are being put into production for a live action feature. It would be interesting to see how they handle Aslan and the talking beasts. A seven part series similar to "Potter" would be very cool, and seeing how all the books are written it should happen rather quickly.

As for the earlier posts that were put here, it is unfortunate that some people choose not to actively participate in God's creation beyond the four walls of the room they have locked themselves up in. It would be interesting for them to show where the dragons and 12 headed beasts are in Revelation. They find comfort in Revelation but can't see the Christian nature in Lewis? Oh well....

BTW I have always been partial to Gimli. I liked the enthusiasm that Tolkien put into him when venturing through Moria. I also like the back and forth dialogue between him and Legolas both in the movies and in the books.

Posts: 81 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armet
Advanced Member
Member # 3002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now come on [Wink] that was hardly one or two PAGES long [Wink]

and think, at least all you have to do is read them...i had to type them up [Wink]

jk, nah, I didn't expect you to read them really, I just wanted to post my fav;) and really I can't decide what my fav is...so I posted all my fav's [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.teresa-dawn.com

^My Website.

Posts: 31 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you..

consider 1 or 2 pages skiped then..

[wave3]

Tyme.

--------------------

Posts: 527 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armet
Advanced Member
Member # 3002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Armet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
umm...sorry [Wink]

you don't have to read them all [Wink]
I give you permission to skip one or two [Wink] jk

--------------------

^My Website.

Posts: 31 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

That

was

way

too

many

Quotes

Tyme.

--------------------

Armet
Advanced Member
Member # 3002

Gandalf the Grey reminds me of my grandpa in the movie [Smile]

(Bilbo looks like my grandma, but that's a whole nother story lol i think it's the expressions)

wait...I made this little thing with my fav lines for another board, I'll post it here....

From the Fellowship of the Ring

Actually I'm a huge fan of the whole opening, so this first one is a long quote :

1. "I amar prestar aen. The world is changed.
Han mathon ne nen. I feel it in the waters.
Han mathon ne chae. I feel it in the earth.
A han noston ned 'wilith. I smell it in the air.
Much that once was is lost. For none now live who remember it. It began with the forging of the great rings. Three were given to the elves: immortal, wisest, and fairest of all beings. Seven to the dwarf lords: great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine. Nine rings were gifted to the race of men, who above all else, desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and will to govern each race. But they were all of them deceived. For another ring was made. In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret a master ring to control all others. And into this ring he poured his cruelty, his malice, and his will to dominate all life. One Ring to rule them all. One-by-one, free lands of middle-earth fell to the power of the ring. But there were some who resisted. A last alliance of Men and Elves marched against Mordor, and on the slopes of Mount Doom, they fought for the freedom of Middle-Earth.
Elrond:Tangado Haid! Leithio i philinn! (Hold positions! Fire Your Arrows!)
Victory was near, but the power of the ring could not be undone. It was in this moment, when all hope had faded, that Isildur, son of the king, took up his father's sword. Sauron, the enemy of the free peoples of middle earth, was defeated. The Ring passed to Isildur, who had this one chance to destroy evil forever, but the hearts of men are easily corrupted. and the ring of power had a will of it's own. It betrayed Isildur, to his death. And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend; legend became myth, and for two and a half thousand years the ring passed out of all knowledge."

2. Bilbo: In fact, it has been remarked by some that hobbits' only real passion is for food. A rather unfair observation, as we have also developed a keen interest in the brewing of ales and the smoking of pipe-weed.

3. Gandalf: Everything? You're far to eager and curious for a hobbit. Most unnatural.

4. Frodo: Half the Shire's been invited! And the rest are turning up anyway.

5. Bilbo: They're after the house. They've never forgiven me for living this long.

6. Bilbo: 'Course he does. He's a Baggins! Not some blockheaded Bracegirdle from Hardbottle.

7. Merry: You're supposed to stick it in the ground.

Pippin: It is in the ground.

Merry: Outside!

8. Bilbo: My dear Bagginses and Boffins! Tooks and Brandybucks! Grubbs! Chubbs! Hornblowers! Bolgers! Bracegirdles and Proudfoots!

Proudfoot: Proudfeet!

9.Merry, Pippin and Friends:

Hey, ho to the bottle I go,
To heal my heart and drown my woe,
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
But there still be... many miles to go!
Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from hill to plain,
Better than rain or rippling brook,

Pippin: Is a mug of beer inside this Took

10. Gandalf: Is it secret? Is it safe?

11. Frodo: Wait…There are makings. It’s some form of Elvish, I can’t read it.

12.Frodo: Take it Gandalf! Take it!

Gandalf: No, Frodo

Frodo: You must take it!

Gandalf: You cannot offer me this ring.

Frodo: I’m giving it to you!

13. Gandalf: Confound it all, Samwise Gamgee! Have you been eavesdropping?

Samwise: I haven’t been dropping no eaves, sir. Honest. I was just cutting the grass under the window there, if you follow me.

Gandalf: A little late for trimming the verge don’t you think?

Sam: I heard raised voices…

Gandalf: What did you hear? SPEAK!

Sam: N-n-n-nothing important. That is I heard a good deal about a ring, Dark Lord, and something about the end of the world, but, please Mr. Gandalf, sir, please don't 'urt me. Don't turn me into anything - unnatural...

14. Sam: Everywhere I lie there’s a dirty root sticking into my back.

Frodo: Just shut your eyes, and imagine you’re back in your own bed, with a soft mattress and a lovely feather pillow.

Sam: It’s not working Mr. Frodo, I’m never going to be able to sleep out here.

Frodo: Me neither Sam.

15 Gandalf: All these long years, it was in the shire, right under my very nose.

Saruman: And yet you did not have the wits to see it. Your love of the halfling’s leaf has clearly slowed your mind.

15. Saruman: Time? What time do you think we have?

16. Gandalf: Tell me, friend, when did Saruman the wise abandon reason, for madness?

17. Merry: I don’t know why he’s so upset. It’s only a couple of carrots

Pippin: And some cabbages. And then those three bags of potatos we lifted last week, and, and the mushrooms the week before.

Merry: Yes, Pippin, my point is, he’s clearly over reacting.

18.Pippin: Baggins? Sure I know a Baggins. He’s over there. Frodo Baggins. He’s my second cousin once removed on my mothers side and my third cousin twice removed…

19.Aragorn: Indeed. I can avoid being seen if I wish. But to disappear entirely. That is a rare gift.

20. Frodo: I think a servent of the enemy would look fairer and fell fouler

Merry: He’s foul enough

21. Aragorn: Gentlemen, we do not stop til nightfall.
Pippin: What about breakfast?

Aragorn: You’ve already had it.

Pippin: We’ve had one, yes, but what about second breakfast?

Merry: Don’t think he knows about second breakfast Pip.

Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them doesn’t he?

Merry. I wouldn’t count on it.

22. Merry: My tomato’s burst.

Pippin: Could I have some bacon?

Merry: Ok. Want a tomato Sam?

Frodo: What are you doing?!

Merry: Tomatos, sausages, nicy crispy bacon.

Sam: We saved some for you, Mr. Frodo.

Frodo: Put it out, you fools! Put it out!

Pippin: O that’s nice. Ash on my tomatos.

23. Aragorn: Arwen, Ride hard. Don’t look back!

Arwen: Noro Lim, Asfaloth, Noro Lim (ride fast, Asfaloth, Ride fast)

24. Black Rider: Give up the Halfling, she-elf!

Arwen: If you want him, Come and Claim him! Nîn o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer, Rimmo nîn Bruinen dan in Ulaer! (Waters of the misty mountains listen to the great word. Flow waters of Loudmouth against the Ringwraiths.)

25. Gandalf: You are in the house of Elrond, and it’s 10’o clock in the morning on October the 24th if you want to know.

26. Boromir: You are no elf.

Aragorn: Men of the South are welcome here.

27. Gandalf: Ash Nazg durbatulûk, Ash Nazg gimbatul. Ash Nazg thrakatulûk agh Burzum-ishi krimpatul. (One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
28. Aragorn: Havo dad, Legolas (Sit down Legolas)
29. Boromir: Gondor has no king, Gondor needs no king.
30. Boromir: One does not simply walk into Mordor.
31. Frodo: I will take the ring to Mordor, though, though I do not know the way.
Gandalf: I will help you bear this burden, for as long as it is yours to bear.
Aragorn: If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword.
Legolas: And you have my bow.
Gimli: And my axe.
Boromir: You carry the fates of us all, little one. If this is indeed the will of the council, than Gondor will see it done.
Sam: Here! Mr. Frodo’s not going anywhere without me!
Elrond: No, indeed. It is hardly possible to separate you from him, even when he is summoned to a secret council, and you are not.
Merry: Oi! We’re coming too. You’ll have to send us home tied up in a sack to stop us.
Pippin: Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission, quest thing.
Merry: Well that rules you out Pip!
Elrond. Nine Companions. So be it! You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring!

32. Frodo: Mordor, Gandalf, Is it left or right?
Gandalf: left.

33. Sam: What is that?
Gimli: Nothing, just a wisp of cloud.
Boromir: It’s moving fast, and against the wind.
Legolas: Crebain from Dunland!
Aragorn: Hide!

34. Frodo: Who then do I trust?
Gandalf: You must trust yourself. Trust your own strengths.

35. Gimli: Dwarf doors are invisible when closed.
Gandalf: Yes, Gimli. Their own masters can not find them if their secrets are forgotten.
Legolas: Why does that not surprise me?

36. Gandalf: Lasto beth (listen to)
Pippin: Nothing’s happening
Gandalf: I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves, Men and Orcs.
Pippin: What are you going to do then?
Gandalf: Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took! And if that doesn’t shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will try to find the opening words.

37. Gandalf: I have no memory of this place
Pippin: Are we lost?
Merry: No.
Pippin: I think we are.
Merry: Shhh, Gandalf’s thinking.
Pippin: Merry?
Merry: What?
Pippin: I’m hungry.

38. Gandalf: Behold the great realm of the dwarf city of Dwarrowdelf.
39. Gandalf: Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity.
40. Frodo: It’s all right, I’m not hurt.
Aragorn: You should be dead. That spear would have skewered a wild boar.
41. Gimli: Nobody Tosses a dwarf! Not the beard!
42. Gandalf: I am a servent of the Secret Fire! Wielder of the flame of Anor! The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!
43. Gandalf: Fly you fools!
44. Gimli: Well here’s one dwarf she won’t ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox. Oh!
Haldir: The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark.

45. Sam: I bet they don’t mention his fireworks. There should be a verse about them.
The finest rockets ever seen
They burst in stars of blue and green
Or after thunder, silver showers
Came falling like a rain of flowers.

45. Galadriel: In the place of the dark lord, you would have a queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn. Trecherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me and despair.
46. Galadriel: This is Nenya, the Ring of Adamant, and I am it’s keeper.
47. Legolas: Lembas. Elvish waybread. One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man.
Merry: How many did you eat?
Pippin: Four.

48. Galadriel: Do not fear, young Peregrin Took. You will find your courage. And for you Samwise Gamgee, elven rope, made of hithlain.
Sam: Thank you my lady. Have you run out of those nice shiny daggers?

49. Galadriel: Farewell, Frodo Baggins. I give you the light of Earendil, our most beloved star. Namarie. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.
50. Gimli: Oh, yes? Just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil? An impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks? And after that, it gets even better! Festering, stinking marshlands, as far as the eye can see!
51. Pippin: Over here! Over here! This way! It’s working!
Merry: I know it’s working! Run!

52. Frodo: Go back Sam! I’m going to Mordor alone!
Sam: Of course you are! And I’m coming with you.

53: Legolas: You mean not to follow them
Aragorn: Frodo’s fate is no longer in our hands

53. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we have strength left. Leave all that can be spared behind, we travel light. Let’s hunt some orc
Gimli: YES!

From the TTT (EE quotes will follow instead of being mixed in for this one)

1. Sam: Mordor. The one place in Middle Earth we don't want to see any closer. It's the one place we are trying to get to. It's just where we cant get. Let's face it Mr. Frodo. We're lost. I don't think Gandalf meant for us to come this way.
Frodo: for a lot of things to happen, Sam. But they did.
2. Frodo: What food have we got left?
Sam: Well, let me see. Oh yes, lovely. Lembas bread. And look! More lembas bread. I don't usually hold with foreign food, but this elvish stuff is not bad.
Frodo: Nothing ever dampens your spirits, does it Sam?
Sam: Those Rainclouds might.
3. Gimli: Three day's and night's pursuit.. no food... no rest... and no sign of our quarry but what bare rock can tell.
Aragorn: Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall.
Legolas: They may yet be alive
Aragorn: Less than a day ahead of us, come!
Legolas: Come Gimli! We are gaining on them.
Gimli: I’m wasted on cross-country We dwarves were natural sprinters. Very dangerous we are over short distances.
4. Aragorn: Legolas! What do your elf eyes see?
5. Saruman: The world is changing. Who now has the strength to stand against the armies of Isengard and Mordor? To stand against the might of Sauron and Saruman and the union of the two towers?
6. Saruman: Rohan, my lord, is ready to fall.
7. Merry: I think we might have made a mistake leaving the Shire, Pippin.
8. Baglor: I'm starving. We ain't 'ad nothin' but maggoty bread for three stinkin' days!
Roc: Yeah! Why can't we have some meat? What about them? They’re fresh.
Ugluk: They are not for eating!
Grishnákh: What about their legs? They don’t need them. Ooh they look tasty.
9. Legolas: A red sun rises. Blood has been spilt this night.
Aragorn: Riders of Rohan! What news from the Mark?
Eomer: What business does an elf, a man, and a dwarf have in the Riddermark? Speak quickly!
Gimli: What business does an elf, a man, and a dwarf have in the Riddermark? Speak quickly!
Eomer: I would cut off your head, Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground.
Legolas: You would die before your stroke fell!
10. Pippin: It's talking Merry. The tree is talking.
Treebeard: Tree? I am no tree! I am an Ent.
Merry: A Treeherder! A shepherd of the forest.
Pippin: Don't talk to it Merry. Don't encourage it.
11. Treebeard: Hobbits? Never heard of a Hobbit before. Sounds like Orc mischief to me. They come with fire, they come with axes. Gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning. Destroyers and usurpers. Curse them!
12. Gollum: See, see, we've led you out! Hurry, hobbitses, hurry! Very lucky we find you. Nice Hobbit.
Sam: Whoa! It's a bog! He's led us into a swamp!
Gollum: Swamp, yes, yes. Come master. We will take you on safe paths, through the mist. Come Hobbits, come. Real quickly. I found it, I did. The way through the marshes. Orcs don't use it. Orcs don't know it. They go round for miles and miles. Come quickly. Swift and quick as shadows we must be.
13. Gollum: So bright, so beautiful. Ah precious.
Frodo: What did you say?
Gollum: Master should be resting. Master need to keep up his strength.
Frodo: Who are you?
Gollum: Mustn't ask us, not it's business. Gollum, gollum.
Frodo: Gandalf told me you were one of the River Folk.
Gollum: Cold be heart and hand and bone. And cold be travellers far from home.
Frodo: He said your life was a sad story.
Gollum: They do not see what lies ahead when sun has failed and moon is dead.
Frodo: You were not so different from a Hobbit once, were you... Sméagol?
Gollum: What did you call me?
Frodo: That was your name once, wasn't it? A long time ago.
Gollum: My, my name. Smeagol.
14. Legolas: This forest is old. Very old. Full of memories...and anger. The trees are speaking to each other.
Aragorn: Gimli!
Gimli: Huh?
Aragorn: Lower your axe.
Gimli: Oh.
Legolas: Aragorn, nad no ennas! (something is out there)
Aragorn: Man cenich? (What do you see?)
Legolas: The White Wizard Approaches
15. Legolas: That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell.
16. Sam: Save us... My old Gaffer would have a thing or two to say if he saw us now.
Gollum: Master says to show him the way into Mordor so good Sméagol does. Master said so.
17. Gollum: Good Sméagol always helps.
18. Gimli: You'll find more cheer in a graveyard.
19. Gandalf: Mm. Oh. You would not part an old man from his - walking stick.
20. Gandalf: The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Théoden-King.
21. Gandalf: I shall draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound.
22. Gandalf: Breathe the free air again, my friend.
Theoden: Dark have been my dreams of late.
Gandalf: Your fingers would remember their old strength better... if they grasped your sword.
Grima: Ah! I've only... ever... served you my lord
23. Théoden: No parent should have to bury their child.
24. Eöwyn: They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the wildmen are moving through the westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree.
Freda: Where’s momma?
Eöwyn: Shhh!
25. Théoden: When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan.
26. Gandalf: Three hundred lives of men have I walked this earth and now, I have no time.
27. Aragorn: You have some skill with the blade.
Eöwyn: The women of this country learned long ago that those without swords may still die upon them. I fear neither death nor pain.
Aragorn: What do you fear my lady?
Eöwyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them. And all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire.
28. Gollum: We wants it, we needs it. Must have the Preciousss. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, falssse!
Smeagol: No, Not Master!
Gollum: Yess. Preciousss first. They will cheat you, hurt you, lie!
Smeagol: Master's my friend.
Gollum: You don't have any friends. Nobody likes you.
Smeagol: Not listening. Not listening.
Gollum: You´re a liar, and a thief.
Smeagol: No
Gollum: Murderer!
Smeagol: Go Away.
Gollum: Go Away?!
Smeagol: I hate you. I hate you.
Gollum: Where would you be without me? Gollum. Gollum. I saved us. It was me. We survived because of me.
Smeagol: Not anymore.
Gollum : What did you say?
Smeagol: Master looks after us now. We don’t need you.
Gollum: What?
Smeagol: Leave now and never come back!
Gollum: No!
Smeagol: Leave now and never come back.
Gollum: Ahh!
Smeagol: Leave now and never come back! We told him to go away! And away he goes, preciousss. Gone, gone, gone, Sméagol is free!
29. Sméagol: Argh!! What's he doing! Stupid fat hobbit. You ruins it!
Sam: What's to ruin? There's hardly any meat on them. What we need it a few good taters.
Sméagol: What's taters, Preciousss? What's taters? Huh?
Sam: Po-ta-toes!! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew. Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish. Even you couldn't say no to that.
Sméagol: Oh yes we could. Ssspoiling nice fish! Give it to us raw and wwwriggling. You keep nasty chips!
Sam: You’re hopeless.

30. Sam: Mr. Frodo! Look! It's an Oliphant! No one at home will believe this.
31. Gimli: It's true you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, they are often mistaken for dwarf men.
32. Aragorn: It's the beards.
33. Arwen: The light of the Evenstar does not wax and wane. It is mine to give to whom I will. Like my heart. Go to sleep.
34. Théoden: You must lead the people to Helm's Deep. And make haste.
Eöwyn: I can fight!
35. Gimli: Bring your pretty face to my axe! Argh! That one counts as mine!
36. Saruman: A new power is rising. It's victory is at hand. This night the land will be stained with the blood of Rohan! March to Helm's Deep! Leave none alive! To war! There will be no dawn for Men.
37. Galadriel: I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. (The World is changed: I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air) The power of the enemy is growing. Sauron will use his puppet Saruman to destroy the people of Rohan. Isengard has been unleashed. The Eye of Sauron now turns to Gondor. The last free kingdom of men. His war on this country will come swiftly.
38. Faramir: Saruman attacks from Isengard. Sauron from Mordor. The fight will come to men on both fronts. Gondor is weak. Sauron will strike us soon. And he will strike hard. He knows now we do not have the strength to repel him.
39. Frodo: We are hobbits of the Shire. Frodo Baggins is my name and this is Samwise Gamgee.
Faramir: Your bodyguard?
Sam: His gardener.

40.Gollum: Rock and pool,
Is nice and cool,
So juicy sweeeet.
I only wish,
To catch a fish,
So juicy sweeeeet!

41. Sméagol: Cruel men hurts us. Master tricksed us.
Gollum: Of course he did. I told you he was tricksy. I told you he was false.
Sméagol: Master is our friend... our friend.
Gollum: Master betrayed ussss!
Sméagol: No, not it’s business. Leave us alone.
Gollum: Filthy little hobbitsesss! They stole it from usss!
Sméagol: No. No.
Faramir: What did they steal?
Gollum: My Precious!
42. Gimli: Where is he! Where is he! Get out of my way! I'm gonna kill him! You are the the luckiest, the canniest, and most reckless man I ever knew! Bless you, laddie!
43. Legolas: Le ab-dollen. (You’re Late) You look Terrible
44. Aragorn: Farmers, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers.
Gimli: Most have seen too many winters.
Legolas: Or too few. Look at them. They’re frightened. I can see it in their eyes.
Boe a hyn: neled herain... dan caer menig!? (And they should be. 300 against 10,000!)
45. Legolas: We have trusted you this far, you have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair.
46. Haldir: We are proud to fight alongside men once more.
47. Gimli: You could have picked a better spot!
48. Gimli: let’s hope it lasts the night.
Legolas: Your friends are with you Aragorn
Gimli: Let’s hope they last the night.
49. Gimli: What’s happening out there?
Legolas: Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?
50. Gimli: Anybody hit anything?
51. Aragorn: Pendraith! (Ladders)
Gimli: Good!
52. Gimli: Legolas, two already!
Legolas: I’m on seventeen!
Gimli: Arg! I’ll have no pointy-ear outscoring me!
Legolas: Nineteen!
53. Treebeard: We have just agreed.
Merry: Yes?
Treebeard: I have told your names to the ent moot and we have agreed: you are not Orcs.
Pippin: Well that’s good news.
Merry: And what about Saruman? Have you come to a decision about him?
Treebeard: Now don’t be hasty, Master Meriadoc.
Merry: Hasty? Our friends are out there. They need our help! They cannot fight this war on their own.
Treebeard: War, yes. It affects us all. But you must understand, young hobbit. It takes a long time to say anything in old entish, and we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
54. Pippin: Maybe Treebeard’s right. We don’t belong here, Merry. It’s too big for us. What can we do in the end? We’ve got the Shire. Maybe we should go home.
Merry: The fires of Isengard will spread. And the woods of Tuckborough and Buckland will burn. And... and all that was once green and good in this world will be gone. There won’t be a Shire, Pippin.
55. Gimli: Oh, come on. We can take them!
Aragorn: It’s a long way.
Gimli: Toss me.
Aragorn: What?
Gimli: I cannot jump the distance so you'll have to toss me. Ehh.. Don’t tell the elf
Aragorn: Not a word.
56. Pippin: Yes. Exactly. If we go south we can slip past Saruman unnoticed. The closer we are to danger, the farther we are from harm. It’s the last thing he’ll expect.
Treebeard: Hmmmm. That doesn’t make sense to me. But then, you are very small. Perhaps you're right. South it is then. Hold on, little Shirelings. I always like going south. Somehow it feels like going downhill.
Merry: Are you mad? We’ll be caught!
Pippin: Not this time we won’t.
57. Théoden: Let this be the hour when we draw swords together. Fell deeds awake. Now for wrath. Now for ruin. And the red dawn! Forth Eorlingas!
58. Sam: I know. It’s all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding on to Sam?
Sam: That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.
59. Parn: You know the laws of our country. The laws of your father. If you let them go, your life will be forfeit.
Faramir: Then it is forfeit.
60. Gandalf: Sauron’s wrath will be terrible, his retribution swift. The battle for Helm’s Deep is over. The battle for Middle-Earth is about to begin. All our hopes now lie with two little hobbits. Somewhere in the wilderness.
61. Sam: I wonder if we’ll ever be put into songs or tales.
Frodo: What?
Sam: I wonder if people will ever say, ‘let’s hear about Frodo and the Ring.’
And they’ll say, ‘yes, that’s one of my favorite stories. Frodo was really courageous, wasn’t he, dad.’ ‘Yes, my boy, the most famousest of hobbits. And that’s saying a lot.’
Frodo: You left out one of the chief characters. 'Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam. Frodo wouldn’t have got far without Sam.’
Sam: Now Mr. Frodo, you shouldn’t make fun. I was being serious.
Frodo: So was I
Sam: Samwise the Brave.

From Two Towers EE

1. Frodo: What's in This?

Sam: Nothing. Just a bit of seasoning. I thought maybe if we was having a roast chicken one night or something.

Frodo: Roast Chicken?!

Sam: You never know.

Frodo: Sam. My dear Sam.

Sam: It's very special, that. It's the best salt in all the Shire.

Frodo: It is special. It's a little bit of home.

2. Pippin: Merry

Merry: Hello Pip

Pippin: You're hurt

Merry: I'm fine. It was just an act.

Pippin: An act?

Merry: See? I fooled you too.

3. Sam: I hate this place. It's too quiet. There's been no sight nor sound of a bird for two days.

Gollum: No, no birdses to eat. No crunchable birdses. We are famished! Yes! Famished we are, precious!

4. Gollum: Once it takes hold of us, it never lets go.

5. Gimli: Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor hobbits here in this horrid, dar, dank, tree-infested...I mean charming, quite charming forest.

6. Gimli: This new Gandalf's more grumpy than the old one.

7: Gandalf: But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear.

8. Gandalf: Frodo must finish this task alone.
Aragorn: He is not alone. Sam went with him.
Gandalf: Did he? did he, indeed? Good. Yes very good.

9. Pippin: I had the lovliest dream last night. There was this large barrel, full of pipe-weed. And we smoked all of it, and then...you were sick.

10. Merry: You just said something...Treeish

11. Merry: You're taller.
Pippin: Who?
Merry: You!
Pippin: Than what?
Merry: Than me!
Pippin: I've always been taller than you.
Merry: Pippin, everone knows I'm the tall one. You're the short one.
Pippin: Please, Merry. You're what? Three-foot-six? At the most? Where as me, I'm pushing 3'7". 3'8"!
Merry: Three-foot-eight. You did something.

12. Treebeard: We Lost the entwives
Pippin: Oh, I'm sorry. How did they die?
Treebeard: Die? No. We lost them. And now we cannot find them. I don't suppose you've seen Entwives in the shire.
Merry: Can't say that I have. You, Pip?
Pippin: What do they look like?
Treebeard: I don't remember now.

13. Eowyn: I have heard of the magic of elves but I did not look for it in a ranger from the north.

14. Saruman: You stink of horse.

15. Theoden: This is not a defeat. We wil lreturn.

16. Frodo: Those that claim to oppose the enemy would do well not to hinder us.
Faramir: The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is. Where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart.
What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there in peace.

17. Eowyn: Gimli.
Gimli: No, I couldn't. I really couldn't.

18. Eowyn: My uncle told me a strange thing. He send that you rode to war with Thengal, my grandfather. But he must be mistaken
Aragorn: King Theoden has a good memory. He was only a small child at the time.
Eowyn: Then you must be at least 60. seventy? But you cannot be 80!
Aragorn: Eighty -Seven.

19. Faramir: Good Speech! Nice and Short!
Boromir: Leaves more time for drinking!

20. Boromir: Remember today, little brother. Today, life is good.

21. Boromir: He loves you, Father.
Denethor: Do not trouble me with Faramir. I know his uses and they are few.

22. Merry: It's been going for hours
Pippin: They must have decided something by now
Treebeard: Decided, No. We only just finished saying "good morning"
Merry: But it's nighttime already. You can't take forever.
Treebeard: Don't be hasty

23. Legolas: Final count, 42.
Gimli: 42? That's not bad for a pointy-eared Elvish princling. I myself am sitting pretty on 43.
Legolas: 43.
Gimli: He was already dead.
Legolas: He was twitching.
Gimli: He was twitching because he's got my axe embedded in his nervous system!

24. Merry: He doesn't look to happy, does he?
Pippin: Not to happy at all Merry.
Merry: Still I suppose the view would be quite nice from up there.
Pippin: Oh yes, It's a quality establishment. I hear the staff are very good.

25.Merry: Longbottom leaf. The finest pipe-weed in the south-farthing.
Pippin: It's perfect. One barrel each. Wait. Do you think we should share it with Treebeard?
Merry: Share it? No. No. Dead plant and all that. Don't think he'd understand. Could be a distant relative.
Pippin: Oh I get it. Don't be hasty.
Merry: Exactly.

26. Sam: Captain Faramir, you have shown your quality, sir. The very highest.
Faramir: The Shire must really be a great realm Master Gamgee, where gardeners are held in high honor.

From ROTK

1. Gollum: My Precious, They cursed us. Murderer! Murderer they called us. They cursed us and drove us away! Gollum! Gollum! Gollum! And we wept, Precious. We wept to be so alone. Fish...and we only wish...so juicy sweet... And we forgot the taste of bread, the sound of trees, the softness of the wind. We even forgot our own name...My Precious.
2. Sam: Haven't you had any sleep, Mr. Frodo? I’ve gone and had too much. Must be getting late.
Frodo: No, it isn't - it isn't mid-day yet... the days are growing darker.
3. Sam: Oh no, I'm not hungry... 'least not for Lembas bread.
Frodo: Sam.
Sam: All right, we don't have that much left. We have to be careful, or we're goin' to run out. You go ahead and eat that, Mr. Frodo. I've rationed it. There should be enough.
Frodo: For what?
Sam: The journey home.
4. Pippin: I feel like I'm back at the Green Dragon after a hard day's work.
Merry: Only, you've never done a hard day's work. Welcome, my lords... to Isengard!
Gimli: You, young rascals! A merry hunt you've lead us on, and now we find you feasting and - and smoking!
Pippin: We are sitting on the field of victory, enjoying a few well-earned comforts. The salted pork is particulary good.
Gimli: Salted Pork?
Gandalf: Hobbits…
5. Théoden: Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country. Hail the Victorious Dead.

6. Merry and Pippin: Oh you can search far and wide,
You can drink the whole town dry,
But you'll never find a beer so brown
As the one we drink in our home town!
You can keep your fancy ales,
You can drink them by the flagon,
But the only brew for the brave and true,
Comes from the Green Dragon!
7.Aragorn: We have time. Every day Frodo moves closer to Mordor.
Gandalf: Do we know that?
Aragorn: What does you heart tell you?
8. Gollum: And when they go in, there's no coming out. She's always hungry. She always needs to feed. She must eat. All she gets is filthy orcses.
Sméagol: And they doesn't taste very nice, does they, precious?
Gollum: No, not very nice at all, my love.
9. Sméagol: And take It for meeeee!!!
Gollum: For Us.
Sméagol: Yes, we meant, we meant for us.
10. Sauron: I see you...
11. Gandalf: Fool of a Took!
12. Merry: Here... Something for the road.
Pippin: The Last of the Longbottom Leaf!
Merry: I know you’ve run out. You smoke too much, Pip
13. Arwen: Tell me what you have seen!
Elrond: Arwen!
Arwen: You have the gift of foresight, what did you see?
Elrond: I looked into your future and I saw death.
Arwen: There is also life. You saw there was a child. You saw my son.
14. From the ashes of fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadow shall spring,
Renewed shall be Blade that was broken.
The crownless again shall be King.
15. Now, listen carefully: Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. To give him news of his beloved son's death would be most unwise. And don't mention Frodo. And say nothing of Aragorn either. In fact, it's better if you do not speak at all, Peregrin Took.
16. Pippin: So I imagine this is just a ceremonial position... I mean, they don't actually expect me to do any fighting? Do they?
Gandalf: You're in the service of the Steward now, you're going to have to do as you're told... Peregrin Took, Guard of the Citadel.
Pippin: It's so quiet...
Gandalf: It's the deep breath before the plunge.
Pippin: I don't want to be in a battle... But waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse. Is there any hope, Gandalf? For Frodo and Sam.
Gandalf: There never was much hope. Just a fool’s hope.
17. Pippin: But we have the White Wizard; that's got to count for something.
18. Gandalf: We come to it at last... The great battle of our time.
19. Gollum: Hurry, hobbits! We climb! We must climb!
20. Gandalf: The board is set. The pieces are moving.
21. Aragorn: The Beacons of Minas Tirith! The Beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aid!
Théoden: And Rohan will answer!
22. Eomer: Now is the hour, Riders of Rohan, oaths you have taken! Now, fulfil them all! To Lord and Land!
23. Orc leader: The age of men is over. The time of the orc has come.
24. Witch King: Send forth all legions. Do not stop the attack until the city is taken. Slay them all.
Orc Commander: What of the wizard?
Witch King: I will break him.
25. Pippin: Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor. In peace or war, in living or dying. From, From this hour henceforth, until my lord release me, or death take me.
Denethor: And I shall not forget it. Nor fail to reward that which is given. Fealty with love. Valour with honour, disloyalty with vengeance.
26. Faramir: You wish now that our places have been exchanged. That I had died and Boromir had lived.
Denethor: Yes, I wish that.
Faramir: Since you are robbed of Boromir, I will do what I can in his stead. If I should return, think better of me, father.
Denethor: That will depend on the manner of your return.
27. Sam: What are you up to? Sneakin' off, are we?
Gollum: Sneaking? Sneaking!? Fat hobbit is always so polite. Sméagol shows them secret ways that nobody else could find, and they say sneak! Sneak!!! Very nice friend, oh yes, my precious, very nice friend!
Sam: All right, all right! You just startled me, that's all. What were you doing?
Gollum: Sneaking.
28. Pippin: Home is behind, the world ahead.
And there are many paths to tread.
Through shadow, to the edge of night.
Until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade...
All shall fade... All shall fade.
29. Aragorn: Every hour lost hastens Gondor's defeat. We have till dawn. Then we must ride.
30. Eöwyn: There. A true esquire of Rohan.
Merry: I'm ready! Sorry... It isn't all that dangerous. It’s not even sharp!
Eöwyn: Well that's no good; you won't kill many orcs with a blunt blade. Come on! To the smithy. Go!
Eomer: You should not encourage him.
Eöwyn: You should not doubt him.
Eomer: I do not doubt his heart; only the reach of his arm.
Eöwyn: Why should Merry be left behind; he has as much cause go to war as you! Why can he not fight for those he loves?

31. Elrond: You ride to war but not to victory. Sauron's armies march on Minas Tirith as you know, but in secret He sends another force which will attack from the river. The fleet of corsair ships sails from the South. They'll be in the city in two days. You're outnumbered, Aragorn. You need more men.
Aragorn: There are none.
Elrond: There are those who dwell in the mountain.
Aragorn: Murderers. Traitors. You would call upon them to fight?! They believe in nothing! They answer to no one.
Elrond: They will answer to the King of Gondor! Andúril - Flame of the West. Forged from the shards of Narsil.
Aragorn: Sauron will not have forgotten the Sword of Elendil. The Blade that was broken shall return to Minas Tirith.
Elrond: The one who can wield the power of this sword, can summon to him an army more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger. Become who you were born to be. Take the Dimholt road. Ónen i-Estel Edain. (I give hope to men.)
Aragorn: Ú-chebin Estel anim. (I have kept no hope for myself.)

32. Eöwyn: Why are you doing this?! The war lies to the East, you can not leave on the eve of battle!
33. Gimli: Just where do you think you're up to?
Aragorn: Not this time. This time you must stay, Gimli.
Legolas: Have you learned nothing of the stubbornness of Dwarves?
Gimli: Might as well accept it. We're going with you, laddie.
Soldier: Where's he going? I don't understand. Lord Aragorn! Why does he leave on the eve of battle?!
Gamling: He leaves because there is no hope.
Théoden: He leaves because he must.
34. Legolas: The way is shut... it was made by those who are dead... and the dead keep it. They way is shut.
Aragorn: Brego! I do not fear death!
Gimli: Well this is something unheard of! An Elf will go underground where a dwarf dare not! > Ahh... I'll never hear the end of it!
35. Dead King: The dead do not suffer the living to pass.
Aragorn : You shall suffer me.
Dead King: The way is shut... it was made by those who are dead...and the dead keep it. The way is shut. Now you must die.
36. Denethor: Abandon your post!!! Flee! Flee for your life!!!
Gandalf: Prepare for battle! Pull them in! To the wall! Return to your posts!
37. Gollum: Master must go inside the tunnel.
Frodo: Now that I'm here, I don't think I want to.
Gollum: It's the only way! Go in, or go back.
Frodo: I can’t go back.
38. Frodo: Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! (Hail Earendil brightest of the stars!)
39. Gollum: Naughty little fly.why does it cry? Caught in a web! Soon you'll be eaten.
40. Sam: Mister Frodo! Wake up! Don't leave me here alone! Don't go where I can't follow. Wake up! You’re not asleep. Dead!
41. Shagrat: What's this?
Gorbag: Looks like ol' Shelob's been having a bit of fun
Shagrat: Killed another one, has She?
Gorbag: No. This fellow ain’t dead.
42. Théoden: Èomer! Take your éored down the left flag! Gamling, follow the King's banner down the center! Grimbold, take your company right, after you pass the wall! Forth! Down fear of darkness! Arise! Arise, Riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, and the sun rises!
43. Théoden: Ride now. Ride now. Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!
44. Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way.
Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path. One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all change to silver glass, and then you see it.
Pippin: What Gandalf? See what?
Gandalf: White shores. And beyond, the far green country under a swift sunrise.
Pippin: Well, that isn't so bad.
Gandalf: No, no it isn’t.
45. Orcs: Late as usual! Pirate scum! There's enough work here that needs doing. Come on, you sea-rats! Get off your ships!
Gimli: There's plenty for the both of us. May the best dwarf win!
46. Witch King: Fool. Now man can kill me. Die now.
Eöwyn: I am no man!
47. Gimli: That still only counts as one!
48. Dead King: Release us.
Gimli: Bad idea. Very handy in a tight spot, these lads, despite the fact they're dead.
49. Shagrat: Hands off that shiny shirt! That's mine!
50. Sam: That's for Frodo! And for the Shire! And that's for my old Gaffer!
51. Sam: We did it, Mr. Frodo. We made it to Mordor.
52. We have to go in there, Mr. Frodo. There’s nothing for it. Come on, let's just make it down the hill for starters.
53. Eomer: We can not achieve victory through strength of arms.
Aragorn: Not for ourselves... but we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us! Keep Him blind to all else that moves.
Legolas: A diversion
Gandalf: Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait.
Gimli: Certainty of death! Small chance of success! What are we waiting for?!
54. Frodo: There'll be none left for the return journey
Sam: I don't think there will be a return journey, Mr. Frodo
55. Aragorn: Hold your ground! Hold your ground! Sons of Gondor, of Rohan. My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of Fellowship, but it is not this day! An hour of wolves and shattered shileds when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you, stand, men of the West!
Gimli: Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an Elf.
Legolas: What about side by side with a friend?
Gimli: Aye. I could do that.
56. Aragorn: For Frodo!
57. Pippin: Eagles! The Eagles are coming!
58. Frodo: I can see the Shire... The Brandywine River... Bag End... Gandalf's fireworks... The lights in the party tree.
Sam: Rosie Cotton Dancing. She had ribbons in her hair. If ever I was to marry someone, It would have been her... It would have been her!
Frodo: I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee. Here at the end of all things.
59. Aragorn: My friends, you bow to no one.
60. Frodo: And thus it was: the fourth age of Middle-Earth began; and the Fellowship of the Ring, though eternally bound by friendship and love, was ended.
61. Sam: 'There and Back Again... A Hobbit's Tale by Bilbo Baggins'. And 'The Lord of the Rings by Frodo Baggins'. You finished it!
62. Bilbo: Frodo, any chance of seeing that old ring of mine again? The one I gave you.
Frodo: Sorry, uncle... I'm afraid I lost it.
63. Bilbo: Oh! Well here's a sight I have never seen before!
Galadriel: The power of the Three Rings is ended. The time has come for the dominion of men.
Elrond: I Aear cân ven na mar. (The sea calls us home)
Bilbo: I think I'm quite ready for another adventure!
Gandalf: Farewell, my brave hobbits. My work is now finished. Here at last, on the shores of the Sea... comes the end of our Fellowship. I will not say, do not weep; for not all tears are evil.
64. Frodo: We set out to save the Shire, Sam... and it has been saved. But not for me.
65. Frodo: My dear Sam, you can not always be torn in two: you will have to be one and whole for many years. You have so much to enjoy, and to be, and to do. Your part in this story will go on.
Sam: Well, I’m back.

--------------------

^My Website.

LiteralD
Advanced Member
Member # 2922

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LiteralD   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fully agree!

God Bless

--------------------
In God's Army

Posts: 25 | From: London, Ontario CANADA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Hello LiteralD

and glad to meet you.

On the Topic.

Gandaf the Grey.. Looked kinds "Grunge" in my mind, when he went to white, I thought you looked to "Bleached" I think some nice gold fligee would have done him good.

As for the Ideal "Good Vs Evil" it's really the basic idea, of most things.

I liked the idea, that no-one is overlooked, or unimportant, as well.

Imagen.. a bloody hobbit destroying the armies of Sauron, and a Girl and a Hobbit killing a Narzul, that was like, "YAH ! Baby! **** on that Mr. No-Man-can-kill-me"

I loved the line "Would you like me to describe it to you, or would you perfer a box".. I still laugh about that line.

Tyme.

--------------------

LiteralD
Advanced Member
Member # 2922

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LiteralD   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been a fan of the lord of the rings series for quite some time but I never took it as being related to scripture other then the fact that there is a struggle between good and evil, there are very few simularities.

However I do like the movie quite a bit.

God Bless

--------------------
In God's Army

Posts: 25 | From: London, Ontario CANADA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armet
Advanced Member
Member # 3002

^yes I also love the Balrog [Smile] The only reason I didn't list him is the CGI thing too lol [Smile]

As for Gandalf, he was good, but I preferred the Grey over the White by quite a bit lol [Smile]

--------------------

^My Website.

Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

well.. all of those are great chairacters.

I have not read the books, myself, as I found them very daunting, and a long hard read.

As for Chairacters: I would have to Leoglass, and Gimili, as my favorate.

But. no one could stand up to the coolness of the Barlog. That was just so well done, it was amazing. I'll give, it was CGI, but still cool none the less.

Gandaf was great as well, all of them played wonderfull roles, and the movie as a whole, we truly increadable.

But Gimili, and Leoglass, were just, fun, they added some humor, and added a really nice touch to the whole things.

Neither of them was too hard lined, but hard enough to taken serious, but funny enough, to bring a laugh and smile to my face every so often.

Like when Leoglass drops the Oliphant, and and Gimili sais "That still only counts as one" I was laughing myself silly from that.

Tyme.

--------------------

Armet
Advanced Member
Member # 3002

^yes that's exactly what I think. So just wondering, who are you fav characteurs in the movie? I like Legolas, Sam, Aragorn, and Eowyn, and in the books I have always liked the same ones (which is partly why i liked them in the movie i think, they were already my fav's) in the books, I also like Goldberry (Whom I think is Yavanna), and Ghan-Buri-Ghan whom aren't in the movies

--------------------

^My Website.

Tyme
Advanced Member
Member # 3017

Umm I loved Lord of the Rings trilogy.

As a side note.

I think it's a great movie, as a movie. I never read too much into a movie. I watch movies to enjoy them and understand the true art behind them.

If you wish to discuss the Lord of the Ring Movies with me, I would be more then happy to talk till you fingers fall off about this subject.

I mean it's an Ideal Good Vs. Evil story.

I think people might read too much into Movies, and it really kills the chance to just enjoy something, because it's enjoyable.

Watching Lord of the Rings makes you no less a Christain in my eyes.

Tyme.

--------------------

Armet
Advanced Member
Member # 3002

Ambariel

I also am a fan of the books and movies. I have read the books many times, including the Silm. and the Unfinished Tales. They are quite the fun read. And like you, my username comes from the elvish, Armet (or Armetiel as I am on some message boards) is simply the elvish version of my actual name, Teresa Dawn. I've also been trying to learn a bit of Quenya and Sindarin for fun [Smile]

To anyone claiming that reading it is a sin, I don't believe it. When I sin, I feel that what I am doing is wrong in my heart, and I stop doing it. I read it as simply something to enjoy and a fairy story filled with imaginary beings, in the same way that any young child might read Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, or Snow White.

--------------------

^My Website.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jp I missed your question. Sorry.

What I said was that I feel the newspaper seeks to glorify Satan's work. I do feel that way.

My husband is very studious of world events and we discuss them. I have no interest in local crime and frankly I live in one of the least populated states in the country so my local news might have a headline like " Buffalo gets loose from Packing plant and goes shopping in Baken Park Plaza." Seriously!!

I rearely pick up a newspaper. I do check online news mostly for what is happening with Israel. I visit a site called worthy news that gives news more targeted toward Christians. I do hear the news on my local Christian Radio.

TV [Big Grin] I live in a town of 89 people and we get one TV Channel very very very poorly. I cannot sit still for a movie or sitcom or other things like that. It just seems to be a terrible waste of time for me. But that is my personal opinion for me... not directed at any as an example.

I visit the weather channel online to find out about storms because I travel quite a bit. I also work with folks in a 5 state area so I get drawn into the small talk of local, state and national events.

I know a lot about political agendas because I frequent the homeschool legal defense site and often have to answer qquestions from my website about legal and political issues regarding homeschoolers.

I used to be very actively involved in public education and the National PTA and in state and local politics, serving on Boards and curriculum committees, lobbying, writing legislation, publishing a state news letter, and teaching Parent Involvement and Activism (before I got serious about God), and so I still have friends in those venues that share things with me. Some of which I would really rather not know.

I study a lot of things but mostly as they apply to the Kingdom. I can tell you a lot about the UN because I visit their site and read resolutions for example. Or I can tell you a lot about the History of Modern Israel and the politics behind that.

I can tell you about the war in Rowanda because I have a little child that I sponsor there with Christian education materials.

I can tell you about Latvia because I witness to someone who is from there.

I can tell you about Bosnia because I have family who is stationed there.

I can tell you about europe because my husband grew up there.

I can tell you about new age, wicca, hinduism, budhism, and bahai because I have been there and done that.

quote:
How do you know when a local famliy's house has burned down leaving children without any parents who need every Christian to go before the Lord in prayer for them?

I probably would be called on the prayer chain,or the post mistress would tell me tomorrow morning when I go to pick up my mail or if they were really close, my husband might be there fighting the fire with the other local volunteers or if they were in the next district over, I would hear about it when the call went out to make sandwiches or soup for the guys who were fighting it.

So no, I am not uninformed. But I personally do not read secular books or romance novels or watch secular movies or listen to secular radio. I let my husband do the newspaper reading and he share the things I would be interested in.

I believe strongly in this scripture and try to live that way:

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am truly sorry that you feel the way you do, I am a very black and white type Christian. There are no grey areas.

As for C.S. Lewis, yes he falls in the same category as Tolkien.

I did read all of the material that I posted,and yes I searched the Internet for the material.

On another thread Linda/home schooler question my material and I directed her to read into what I had shown to be truth.(after reading she agreed she needed to examine what she had previously believed)

If I saw you or anyone for that matter taking poison, what kind of person would I be not to warn you.

There are many so called Christians, well known, that teach that there is nothing wrong with "Lord of the Rings" "Harry Potter" and "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" and the like, but I tell you in love, it is against the Scriptures and will do your spiritual life nothing but harm.

please forgive me if I came accross to hard but I see many deceived thinking anything goes and your still a Christian.

concider Yashua's word " many in that day shall say Lord, Lord, but He will answer and say depart from me you worker of inquity, I never knew you"

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ambariel
Community Member
Member # 2345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ambariel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this site has done nothing to make me feel welcome.

Took over two weeks for my "hi I'm new here" thread to be replied to, and now I'm attacked with about five thousand words for daring to enjoy a movie.

Let's see.

Tolkien's books clearly treat the occult, and magic, as something that should be avoided. "You cannot use it - anything you try to do with the Ring will turn to evil" is repeated over and over again.

And it was JRR Tolkien who nudged CS Lewis to Christianity. Do "we" have a problem with CS Lewis also? The "Lord of the Rings" books actually helped push me towards reading the Bible, and helped me find a relationship with God. So what's wrong with that?

I think the welcome wagon on this site needs a little bit of work. I came here in hope and faith, and I have been soundly spanked and sent to bed without my supper.

For all your piety and verbose grandstanding, you have shown a decidedly unchristian attitude towards me, a new person here, in making me feel distinctly unwelcome. Looks to me becauseHElives that you were a lot more interested in a "slam dunk" of my thread topic than in positive, constructive discourse. Did you pat yourself on the back after doing it? Did you feel like you were a "better" Christian than I, and congratulate yourself?

I did not read all that stuff because it wasn't your words. Not only that, it is so biased it overlooks anything positive to be found in Tolkien's books, and there are many positive things. When was the last time you looked for the positive angle huh? Is criticism your only litmus test? Is finding the worst in people and things your chief fascination? And if so, should I believe this is a good thing?

Just how am I supposed to respond to this? Am I to hang my head in shame and say "yeah, you're right, it was sinful of me to watch this movie/read this book, I have done wrong".

A very wise pastor once said to me, "If you feel like hanging your head in shame, then it's not God speaking to you. If you feel a tug at your heartstrings, calling you home, an attractive light that you can't help but want to be near, this is God's power".

Now which do you think I feel? There were many more tactful ways of saying you had concerns than copying/pasting ten thousand lines from somebody else's web site.

I'd have had a lot more respect for your own opinions anyway. Anybody can copy and paste. It takes no thought of your own. I wouldn't be surprised if all you did was Google "tolkien bad christianity criticism" and then gleefully posted the longest result you could find. Matter of fact, I find no proof that you actually read it, either, though you accuse others of that.

So, I suppose if I'm going to be chastised rather than encouraged, I have once again landed in the wrong place. I won't trouble your little clique further.

But I will pray for you, and the site. It ought to welcome people, not scare them off.

And I really, truly hope you take this to heart. A congregation that points fingers at new members is not likely to grow.

"Find the good, and praise it" - Alex Haley

And that quote is good and meaningful, even though it didn't come from the Bible. I hope you practice it a little more often.

JP seems to be the only one who would make his points without condemnation. I applaud him for it, for he shows real Christian values in doing so.

In case it's a foreign concept to you, the buzzword here is Compassion.

--------------------
Namárië! Nai hiruvalyë Valimar.

Posts: 20 | From: Nashville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JP
Advanced Member
Member # 2151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
Even if you liked the movie you have to admit that it is a clever blend of pagan myth and distorted Christianity.

I think that is a very accurate assessment.

But then again, I am one of those who very rarely watches TV and has no interest in reading secular reading materials, finds the newspaper to a media that seeks to glorify what Satan is doing in the world, and doesnt listen to secular music, doesn't go to secular movies and my appreciation for sports ends with the local high school football team. So I can't know much huh?

Hi Linda (I gather that is your name from having seen others call you that?)

I have read a lot of your posts and I think I have pretty much agreed with all (or at least most) of them. You seem to have many of the same theological viewpoints as me. I do have two questions though.

"Even if you liked the movie you have to admit that it is a clever blend of pagan myth and distorted Christianity."

Yes, I admit that. I didn't watch the movie for any spirtitual insite or guidance. It was, for me, just a few hours of mindless entertainment - a classic "good versus evil" of which there are many. If I want spirtual guidance, I'll pray, read my Bible, or perhaps ask my pastor. Am I less of a Christian for having watched it?

And I certianly wouldn't say that you "can't know much." You seem like a pretty wise person to me. I do wonder though (I'm leading up to my second question!), if you don't read the newspaper because it "seeks to glorify what Satan is doing in the world", may I assume you also don't watch the news on TV, because it is exactly the same news as is in the newspapers? How then do you know what is going on in the world?

How do you know of the status of our fellow countrymen in Iraq who desperately need our prayers? How do you know what the country is doing to our religous freedoms, so that you can help make a stand for them? How do you know what the homosexual agenda, and the liberal judges who support them have done to our country, so you can help other Christians fight them? How do you know when a local famliy's house has burned down leaving children without any parents who need every Christian to go before the Lord in prayer for them?

Linda, I am not being sarcastic here, or trying to bait you, I truly would like to know how you know of these things, if you do not watch the news or read the newspaper?

--------------------
John
http://www.christianscorner.com

I believe!

Posts: 36 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JP
Advanced Member
Member # 2151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:

I have never said TV was wrong or that all movies are wrong, but there is much out there that opposes the Faith of Christians that no one is speaking out against.

I didn't mention any names there, becauseHElives! All I said was that "I was told."

quote:

I am opposed to sports because I see how much time they consume in friends and family give to them and the skimpy clothes that cheer leaders wear. The money that "Christians" ? waste on sports.

The team that I watch the most, the Detroit Lions, doesn't have any cheerleaders. As far as time, I work full time, go to a Christian school, rarely miss church, and spend a great deal of time reading the Bible and tending to my Christian web site. I think I can spare a few moments of down time a week to enjoy myself watching the Lions lose. What I do with my money is between me, my wife, and God. Suffice it to say though, I give my tithe not only to our church, but also social organizations to help the needy. Sports hasn't kept me from that.
quote:

Yahweh is your eternal Judge, I only can look at the external activates and comment as I interpret the Scriptures.

In that, we are in 100% agreement!
quote:

But my Bible says few will enter to eternal life, and those will be them that purify themselves of the filth of this World.

And my Bible says "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." John 5:24

And when you start using words like "filth" is when you start getting subjective and it becomes a matter of your opinion versus my opinion. My opinion is that sports are not filth. But, as I said, to each his own. Please read from the book of Romans, Chapter 14, verses 1-4

"Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand."

In other words, my brother, you do what your faith tells you you must, and I'll do what mine says - and let us not judge one another!

--------------------
John

I believe!

Posts: 36 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bless you Linda, your heart expresses the Lords Heart for His Children i such a loving way.

Time is short, a the Devil is reaping a harvest in the "Church" and I am referring to those who are in the "Church" that one day will of all people most sad, for they have went through the motions and on that day will hear the words, "depart from Me, I never knew you".

They will answer but we were in "Church" we did this and that, but Yashua answers "I never knew you"

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if you liked the movie you have to admit that it is a clever blend of pagan myth and distorted Christianity.

I think that is a very accurate assessment.

But then again, I am one of those who very rarely watches TV and has no interest in reading secular reading materials, finds the newspaper to a media that seeks to glorify what Satan is doing in the world, and doesnt listen to secular music, doesn't go to secular movies and my appreciation for sports ends with the local high school football team. So I can't know much huh?

I don't think any of those things you listed however are sins, nor do I know anyone else here who esposes that view. Some of us just simply have no desire to fill our minds and hearts and ears with the things of this world and find that there are hardly enough hours in the day as it is to do the things we want to do... study the WORD, spend time with family, pray, fellowship with our brethern, etc...to waste our time on things that we have no interest in.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Sorry you feel that way JP, I do not think you looked at the information I posted.(You posted at 12:00 AM and I posted at 11:28 PM).

You had a preconceived idea of what I posted. Maybe you are a speed reader, I do not know, but I would not be True to my Lord and His Word, if I did not speak out against such as "The Lord of the Rings" "Harry Potter" "The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe".

I have never said TV was wrong or that all movies are wrong, but there is much out there that opposes the Faith of Christians that no one is speaking out against.

I am opposed to sports because I see how much time they consume in friends and family give to them and the skimpy clothes that cheer leaders wear. The money that "Christians" ? waste on sports.

Yahweh is your eternal Judge, I only can look at the external activates and comment as I interpret the Scriptures.

But my Bible says few will enter to eternal life, and those will be them that purify themselves of the filth of this World.

2COR 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,

--------------------

JP
Advanced Member
Member # 2151

Ambariel,

I saw THAT response coming as soon as I saw the topic. You have to understand that there are some on this message board that believe that anything, anything at all, except reading your Bible or praying, is a sin.

I have actually been told on here that reading my daily newspaper, or watching sports, is unChristian like because doing so does not directly glorify Christ. They claim that they do not have any reading materials in their house except for Bibles, or Christian literature about the Bible, they don't watch any television, and they certainly do not go to "fleshly" movies.

To each his own, but I suspect you would get that response if you asked about pretty much any movie, especially that one! Heck, I got it when I asked about sports! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
John

I believe!

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

No writer has ever portrayed the blending of pagan myths with distorted Christianity more cleverly than Tolkien. These books can be and are being heralded by the liberal Christian world and the pagan world at the same time. The Christian bookstores and many ministries speak to Tolkein’s great message of espousing values and even some hidden form of the Messianic hope. The pagan world promotes it right in the middle of witchcraft and occultic ideas. It is a perfect pattern for the “global spirituality” of the coming One World Government and One World Church.

http://www.pawcreek.org/lord_of_the_rings.htm

Lord of the Rings: Foreshadowing the Book of Revelation by Joseph Chambers

World events make no sense unless you understand the “Book of Revelation.” This entire universe is on a pre-determined course set by the foreknowledge of its Creator. Whether it is the poetry of the poet, the business adventure of the money mad tycoon, the grand plans of the One World designers, the cinema creation of the movie makers, or the imagination of a J.R.R. Tolkien, it is all under the auspices of the “Beginning and the Ending.” The God of the Book of Revelation proclaimed, “I am Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.” (Revelation 1:8).

No book in the Bible makes more sense in today’s world than the grand closing of God’s Revelation. The Book of Revelation was designed to bring the church of Jesus Christ from the hour of its early beginning to the glory of its eminent future. The seven letters to seven churches in Revelation chapters two and three embodies the entire time from the beautiful beginning of the church to the apostasy of its waning hours. The saints will not be raptured in the glory of the church’s organizations and wealth, but in the grace of His holiness and imparted purity. Beginning in chapter four of Revelation, we have the future of His kingdom after the church age as it unfolds both on earth and in the Heavens. Our world is speedily racing in preparation for this incredible climax.

There must be two movements simultaneously preparing for the end. Darkness and light are opposites. Goodness and evil are expressions of the exact same difference as darkness and light. Every story that someone tells or writes will in some way embody these two opposites. Righteousness is on course for her grand hour of victory, while darkness must become darker to meet its fate of extinction. J.R.R. Tolkien’s imaginary epic in his three grand books, Lord of the Rings, is a clever look at what awaits the religious world. The final hour of religion will be the darkest time of her entire history. The sun-clothed woman will finally end in a blob of religious superstition and pagan deception.

No writer has ever portrayed the blending of pagan myths with distorted Christianity more cleverly than Tolkien. These books can be and are being heralded by the liberal Christian world and the pagan world at the same time. The Christian bookstores and many ministries speak to Tolkein’s great message of espousing values and even some hidden form of the Messianic hope. The pagan world promotes it right in the middle of witchcraft and occultic ideas. It is a perfect pattern for the “global spirituality” of the coming One World Government and One World Church.

The Premise For His Myths Was Flawed
Tolkien believed that the pagan myths of pre-Christian history were somehow earlier expressions of the future revelations. Both Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were victims of religious teaching that failed to keep truth and error clearly separated. Many pagan ideas had invaded the church world. Instead of the church rooting out superstition and paranormal experiences, they have found it easier to accommodate the two opposing themes. There is no doubt but that the political mix of church and state of that period lay at the heart of this problem. The world in which Tolkien found himself certainly affected his thinking and writing. Tolkien was a devout Catholic and made the statement that his literary works was an extension of his faith. Tolkien said, “The Lord of the Rings was ‘a fundamentally religious and Catholic work.’” (The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Humphrey Carpenter, editor (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1981), p. 172,243.) Professor Ralph C. Wood, a foremost expert on Tolkien and his writings stated, “The unrestrained quality of mercy is what, ‘I suggest, makes the Lord of the Rings’ an enduring Christian classic despite its pagan setting.” (www.leaderu.com/humanities/wood-classic.html.)

Tolkien was much moved by the pagan myths that his highly intellectual world of friends saw as intriguing and of great value. He was fascinated by Norse and Celtic mythologies and taught a pantheon of gods in his earlier work, The Simarrilion. His “All Father,” as he called the one God he considered to correspond to the God of the Bible, had fifteen sub-gods. They were put in charge of “Middle Earth,” his mythical idea for the world as he would present in his myth telling.

Let’s allow Professor Ralph Wood to describe this idea, “At the top stands Iluvatar, the All-Father, corresponding roughly to the One whom Christians call God the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth. From him all things proceed, and to him all things return. He is the beginning and the end, the One who shapes all events to his own purposes. He dwells in the Timeless Halls and only rarely intervenes in his Creation, preferring instead to work through the agency of his Valar or Ainur. These are the fifteen subordinate beings Iluvatar created with the Flame Imperishable of his Spirit. They are themselves entirely spiritual creations who work Iluvatar’s will in the world.” (www.leaderu.com/humanities/wood-cosmogony.html.)

Each of these God-like creations has a pagan description of their place and office in this pantheon of gods. Manwë was the good and pure and reigned over the air, wind, clouds, and the birds. His spouse was Varda, the Exalted, who made the stars and set the course for the sun and the moon. Melkor was given by Iluvatar greater power and knowledge than all other gods and was gifted in substances and craft. Melkor fulfilled the idea of Satan by rebelling and seeking power equal to Iluvatar himself. Tolkien even names the fifteen sub gods Valar, taken from his primary god’s name, Ilu-vatar.

Melkor’s shadow god or equal was named Aule. He was given the same power as Melkor, but had no desire to dispossess and rule instead of Iluvatar. There was Ulmo, the lord of waters, Irmo, the author of visions and dreams, and his wife, Este. Then, we have Nienna (compassions), whose tears bring healing, Mandos, who keeps the Houses of the Dead. There are six more of these valars with different god-like responsibilities. All this Tolkien saw as a “splintering fragment of the true light.” He said, “In making a myth, in practicing ‘mythopoeia,’ and peopling the world with elves and dragons and goblins, a story-teller . . . is actually fulfilling God’s purpose, and reflecting a splintered fragment of the true light.” (Quoted by Colin Gunton, Professor of Christian Doctrine in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies at King’s College, London. His article first appeared in the King’s Theological Review (Vol. 12, No. 1), in 1989. Included as a chapter in Tolkien: A Celebration, edited by Joseph Pearce (London: Fount, 1999), p. 130.)

It’s easy to see that Tolkien’s basis for his claim of Biblical harmony in his myths was dead wrong. Paganism is exactly what it is called, “paganism.” I agree that the pagan writers and the spirits behind their writing do indeed imitate truth in a kind of vague fashion. Satan is the master imitator, but his evil inspiration can never be seen or used as a kind of foundation for truth. A mixture of truth and error is completely forbidden in Scripture. “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols?” (II Corinthians 6:14-16a).

His Characters Were Similar to Those in the Book of Revelation

The occultic powers, as clearly revealed in the Book of Revelation, are strangely similar to those same powers in Lord of the Rings. This may have been unintentional on Tolkien’s part, but unlikely on Satan’s part. The world must be prepared for the coming seven years of “Great Tribulation.” The world would not receive a sudden infusion of strange mythical creatures empowered by paranormal ability unless there had been years of preparation and acquaintance with those ideas. The Lord of the Rings series is only one of many fictional themes that our world has fallen in love with today. It is very apparent that millions have come to love beastly creatures, strange mystical powers, occultic themes and almost any idea that is otherworldly.

One of the scary things about Lord of the Rings is that some authorities see the powers, which are manifested, as being supernatural, instead of magical. This in itself suggests that they are very much presented in a Bible-like fashion. Listen to an interview/question with Author Joseph Pearce (Books: Tolkien: Man and Myth and Tolkien: A Celebration):

“Question: In recent years, magic in diverse forms such as games, TV shows, etc., has been very popular among young people. Given the way magical powers are presented in the Lord of the Rings, do you think that there could be any dangers for youngsters?

“Pearce: There is very little of what could be termed magic in The Lord of the Rings. There is much that is supernatural, but only in the sense that God is supernatural, or that Satan is supernatural, or that good and evil are supernatural. It would be more accurate to describe the so-called magic in The Lord of the Rings as miraculous, when it serves the good, and demonic, when it serves the evil.” (www.leaderu.com/humanities/zenit-tolkien.html).

Mr. Pierce further stated, “Far from being a ‘fantasy,’ The Lord of the Rings is a theological thriller.” (Ibid.) The entire atmosphere created in this epic is a borderline story between a world of occultic mythology and Biblical creatures out of the Book of Revelation.

Berit Kjos documents the tremendous presence of demons, wizards, spells, and other creatures or activities that are clearly Satanic in nature. Here are a few of her quotes:

“Both stories (Harry Potter series and Lord of the Rings series) involve wizards, spells, mythical creatures and magic charms. Both demonstrate the battle between a mythical good and evil. Both pit heroic white magic against dark menacing occultism.”

“In his personal letters (many are included in a book titled The Letters of J. R. R Tolkien), he expressed caution toward occult practices. But he equipped his team of mythical heroes -- the fellowship of the Ring -- with the pagan powers that God forbids. For example, ‘Gandalf [a helpful wizard] is able to wield potent magic... To do battle with the forces of darkness, Gandalf the Grey can call upon not only his spellcraft, but also his staff of power and the Elven sword Glamdring.’”

“The movie version of The Lord of the Rings idealizes occultism and cheers the pagan practices used by good characters. Like Star Wars, Harry Potter and the world's pagan cultures, it seduces its fans into an imaginary world that pits ‘white’ or benevolent magic against dark, evil magic. Both sides of this imagined ‘battle between good and evil’ use occult practices that God forbids.”

“This incarnate ‘angel’ wouldn't fit into the host of Biblical angels. But he could well fit in the hierarchy of ‘devas’ or ‘angels’ and ascended masters in the elaborate spiritual system called Theosophy or ‘Ancient Wisdom.’ Founded by Madame Helena Blavatsky, this esoteric blend of Hinduism and Western occultism received its doctrines from ‘ascended masters’ or spirit guides such as Djhwal Khul who channeled his messages to the medium Alice Bailey.” (www.crossroad.to/articles2/rings.htm).

Tolkien himself clearly saw his creature creations as strange and mystical. He probably would have been a bit offended if someone had called them Satanic. Here are some of his descriptions:

“Gandalf is not, of course, a human being (Man or Hobbit). There are naturally no precise modern terms to say what he was. I would venture to say that he was an incarnate 'angel'.... with the other Istari, wizards, 'those who know', an emissary from the Lords of the West, sent to Middle-earth as the great crisis of Sauron loomed on the horizon. By 'incarnate' I meant they were embodied in physical bodies capable of pain and weariness....”

“Why they should take such a form is bound up with the 'mythology' of the 'angelic' Powers of the world of this fable. At this point in the fabulous history the purpose was precisely to limit and hinder their exhibition of 'power' on the physical plane, so that they would do what they were primarily sent for: train, advise, instruct, arouse the hearts and minds of those threatened by Sauron to a resistance with their own strength.... The wizards were not exempt, indeed being incarnate were more likely to stray, or err. Gandalf alone fully passes the test, on a moral plane anyway. For in his condition it was for him a sacrifice to perish on the Bridge in defense of his companions.... Gandalf sacrificed himself, was accepted and enhanced and returned.”

“Gandalf really 'died' and was changed.... 'I am Gandalf the White, who has returned from death'.” (The Letters of J. R. R Tolkien, Humphrey Carpenter, editor (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1981), pp. 201-202.)

The picture clearly evident in these descriptions is that of fallen angels subject to Satan himself. In several locations in the Book of Revelation, there are hordes of unclean spirits seeking to work havoc on the population. “And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.” “And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions. And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.” (Revelation 9:2-3, 7-9).

Tolkien Rejected the Classical Ideas for the Romantic Ideas

Professor Woods, a Tolkien historian, gave a revealing description of what were the greater influences in Tolkien’s life. “It is not surprising to learn that Tolkien was deeply influenced by the 19th century Romantics, chiefly S. T. Coleridge and George Macdonald, since his friend and literary companion C. S. Lewis was also decisively shaped by them. Nor is it startling to find Tolkienian connections with J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan and Mary Rose, with the Four Quartets of T. S. Eliot, even with Henry James' unfinished story The Sense of the Past. What comes as a genuine shock is the news that Tolkien's mind and work were marked by the fictional dream-journeys of George Du Maurier, by the psychic experiences of Charlotte Moberly and Eleanor Jourdain, by the time-travel fantasies of H. G. Wells, and especially by the notion of J. W. Dunne that all temporal events are simultaneous. Dunne held that time is no less constant than space, and that by certain habits of mind we can move backward and forward over time as we traverse space, even experiencing events that have not yet happened.” (www.leaderu.com/humanities/wood-review.html).

This kind of influence and thinking produced in Tolkien a mind-set with little room for the genuine truths of Holy Scripture. He was guided by occultic thinking and the many strange ideas of those emerged in that world. Another writer, Verlyn Flieger, spells out even more clearly a description of his background and mindset. Professor Wood quotes her as follows, “There she revealed, as she does again here, that the massive moral and religious questions that exercised and animated Tolkien's imagination--the nature of good and evil, of heroism and self-sacrifice, of desire and dispossession, of death and immortality--are but subsets of his central lifelong concern with the nature of time and timelessness. In both books Flieger has shown us a darker, less cheering Tolkien than many of his Christian apologists have acknowledged. Here again she is right: Tolkien was a man whose faith was shadowed and doubt-filled, and whose fiction thus counsels a sad joyfulness as the most that we can hope for this side of eternity.” (www.leaderu.com/humanities/wood-review.html).

Understanding the difference between the classical thinking where the emphasis is on principle and character, plus good taste, restraint, and clarity to the opposing idea is important. The romantic style was similar to the change agents of our day. A present romantic style would represent those that want to rewrite our history, change our value system, and impose a system of their own. An English dictionary, first published in 1901, described the romantic mindset as following, “inclining towards, or savouring of, romance, fictitious, extravagant, wild: fantastic.” (Chambers English Dictionary, 7ed, 1990, p 1270.) This kind of view into Tolkien’s life should give his cult followers a jolt into reality.

Reincarnation & Doom

Tolkien’s view of life, death, and the absence of a happier nature certainly played a big part in his sad myths. A bookstore manager asked him if he had dealt too strongly on the metaphysical aspect. His answer reveals something of his theology. “‘Reincarnation’ may be bad theology (that surely, rather than metaphysics) as applied to Humanity... But I do not see how even in the Primary world any theologian or philosopher, unless very much better informed about the relation of spirit and body than I believe anyone to be, could deny the possibility of re-incarnation as a mode of existence, prescribed for certain kinds of rational incarnate creatures.” (The Letters of J. R. R Tolkien, Humphrey Carpenter, editor (Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1981), page 189.)

Reincarnation is the very opposite of eternal life and cannot be reconciled in the least. This kind of thinking is natural for a man that loved and enjoyed the myths of paganism. C.S. Lewis, deeply involved in the same mythological world, saw into the sad nature and writings of Tolkien and said that the Ring epic is embedded with “a profound melancholy.” Professor Wood joined in suggesting the same general consensus.

“The word ‘doom’ -- in its Anglo-Saxon meaning of damning judgment as well as final fate in ruin and death -- pulses like a funereal drumbeat throughout the entire work. Toward the end of Volume I, the elf Legolas offers a doom-centered vision of the world. It sounds very much like an elvish and Heraclitean version of entropy. ‘To find and lose,’ says Legolas, is the destiny ‘of those whose boat is on the running stream.... The passing seasons are but ripples in the long long stream. Yet beneath the Sun all things must wear to an end at last.’ Though elves are so long-lived that they seem immortal to humans and hobbits, the tides of time will sweep even them away. A deeply pagan pessimism thus pervades all three of the Ring books.” (www.leaderu.com/humanities/wood-classic.html).

The Tolkien epic of the Ring falls terribly lacking of any semblance of the Christian hope, salvation, or eternal life. It is rather filled with the hopelessness of paganism and its dark future of judgment.

Conclusion

Tolkien’s ideas were sadly lacking in contrast to the glorious truth of the infallible Word of God. He argued that “mythic tales grope toward the Hope which, in the story of Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and Jesus Christ, finally enters space and time to become historical reality, God’s own myth-made-fact.” (www.leaderu.com/humanities/wood-classic.html). It is marvelous indeed that no man has to read and follow the myths of paganism to find his way to the cross. Only a few Tolkien’s or Lewis’ would find such an idea satisfying.

The Book of Revelation is filled with these similar beasts, spirits, spells, and, in every case, they are shown to be the enemies of God and faith-filled mankind. Tolkien gave us nothing but a distorted view of Christianity all mixed up with the world of Satan, which is soon to be presented to this world as Satan’s imitator of true religion. Reading the Book of Revelation would fill you with such hope and assurance that you will not need the lies of pagan myths to inspire your soul.

(Do you suppose YESHUA would indorse “Lord of the Rings” ?

I can assure you HE would not, from the Scriptures.)

http://www.balaams-*** .com/journal/homemake/lewsdion.htm

where the 3 asterics are at put (a s s) to make the link alive, that word will not go on the board, no spaces between the letters or the dot com

--------------------

KJV MAN
Advanced Member
Member # 1905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJV MAN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ambariel:
I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE RETURN OF THE KING!
And I can't wait for the movie, too. (laugh)

I have been a JRR Tolkien fan since about age 12, I know the books inside-out. I have always known that there was christian imagery in them, and wasn't at all surprised when I finally read Tolkien's biography and learned that he was a christian, and in fact, helped CS Lewis find his faith, too.

Pretty soon we will also get the Extended Edition of The Two Towers, with over 30 minutes of added footage. The Extended version of Fellowship of the Ring was magnificent, and I am really anticipating the release of this new one on DVD.

My user name here Ambariel is sindarin Elvish, which means, more or less, "fate maiden".

My signature quote is from "Galadriel's song of Eldamar", and means,

"Farewell - maybe thou shalt find Valimar (heaven)"

Let's talk Tolkien...

How is "Christian imagery" displayed in this movie? I'm not a fan of the ring but I'm curious as to how it could have Christian overtones when you are talking of elves and wizards?

--------------------
BIBLE-Basic Instuctions Before Leaving Earth!!!!

Posts: 81 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ambariel
Community Member
Member # 2345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ambariel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't know what you're missing. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20 | From: Nashville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] Sorry I am not one.. (nemo) [updown]

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ambariel
Community Member
Member # 2345

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE RETURN OF THE KING!
And I can't wait for the movie, too. (laugh)

I have been a JRR Tolkien fan since about age 12, I know the books inside-out. I have always known that there was christian imagery in them, and wasn't at all surprised when I finally read Tolkien's biography and learned that he was a christian, and in fact, helped CS Lewis find his faith, too.

Pretty soon we will also get the Extended Edition of The Two Towers, with over 30 minutes of added footage. The Extended version of Fellowship of the Ring was magnificent, and I am really anticipating the release of this new one on DVD.

My user name here Ambariel is sindarin Elvish, which means, more or less, "fate maiden".

My signature quote is from "Galadriel's song of Eldamar", and means,

"Farewell - maybe thou shalt find Valimar (heaven)"

Let's talk Tolkien...

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement