Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Sports are an opiate for the masses

Author Topic: Sports are an opiate for the masses
phaze
Advanced Member
Member # 1688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sports are obviously a false idol.

If someone's life is empty and in need of fullillment they should turn to God. Instead they turn to the TV or arena to watch sports. Imagine if all the money spent on sports were put towards feeding the hungry or supporting a move to abolish the Freedom of Speech in America.

--------------------
Don't be a doubting Thomas

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shala
Advanced Member
Member # 1675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok being a woman and a sports fan I thought I would answer... [Smile]

I do agree that alot is lost when they become paid for what they do. However, *I* see it as more of a chance for ministry..to the public, team members, coaches, ect...I think that there are quite a few pro players out there that are pronounced Christians and do well with the talents God has given them.

Now that being said I am more of a college sports fan. I live in Oklahoma and was raised in the same city as Univ of OKlahoma and it *is* bred into you...football/sports we all live and breathe it..However, we (meaning my family) know that God and family come first. That is just the way it is.

College sports has great opportunity for alot of the younger generation (geez I am sounding old) They earn scholarships, sportsmanship and many other things from being in organized sports events. I have an uncle (one of 3 that played college football) that put himself thru college playing football and is now an executive for Frito Lay and without his scholarship who knows where he would be...

I dont think its the sports themselves that make it bad, its specific people and until Christ comes we have to prepare our children on how to deal with those situations.

My daughter is 4 and has been in gymnastics for quite a while..and my son 2 1/2 as soon as he is old enough will start whatever he wants..as long as they remember that God is 1st and for most in their lives I know that God will lead them in the paths they should be in. Whether it be basketball or chess club [Smile]

--------------------
~Shala~
Don't Make God #1 in your life...
Make God your life [Cross]

Posts: 44 | From: Tulsa, Ok | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TarheelBornBredAndDead
Member # 1603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TarheelBornBredAndDead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
puh-leeze...
sports have been around much longer than assembly lines and any concepts of teams save for family/ethnic/national groups. native americans played sports and their teams were the family groups etc.. all over the world sports have been played forever-- sports as an activity is great IMO until proven otherwise..
--i thought most people liked team players this day and age anyway?--
anyway, sports can be abused, like anything. overzealous parents have ruined some little league games, overpaid athletes have ruined some regular season games, BUT, the bottom line is sports is one of the best activities for kids most of the time-- like anything your kid does it should be monitored

Posts: 2 | From: nc | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AhmaBeliever
Advanced Member
Member # 43

Icon 21 posted      Profile for AhmaBeliever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello again [Big Grin] It was getting late last night , so I had to sign off and get some sleep .

What was my point ? Well yes , it partially stems from a personal distaste for organized sports . I have nothing against those who enjoy them , but I do question their sincerity . In our soceity we seem to believe if you don't know the score of "the game" from the previous evening , you are some kind of loser .So it is perfectly natural for
someone to watch sports not out of genuine interest , but out of fear of embarrasment at the water cooler .

But I could go on and on about how lame sports are , and Even more regarding the absolute waste of time it is to Watch sports . But the primary reason I am griping and whining about this is my concern for my 6 year old boy.

My son is in T-ball right now . That is perfectly harmless , since the kids are so small and the games are unscored and basically silly.Since I own a computer store , and do not have employees , my wife has been the one taking him to practice and the games .He seems to enjoy going to the games , but then if it were a group of kids his age playing hop-scotch or marbles ,or even coloring or painting , he would be just as happy .

There is no doubt some of you reading this have kids that are in sports . And If I were a gamblin' man , I would wager you think they like sports . Many of them probably do . But why ? Because you Trained them to like sports. No my friend , it is not in their blood . Being active may be hereditary , but chasing a ball is not .Ultimately our children will make their own choices , but they learn from us . When we join in with the rest of the world and coerce our kids into sports , we do them no favors .

Many or possibly most Christian men would have no problem communicating with their son about "the game" . But can they discuss anything that matters ? Can they they explain the Gospel of Jesus Christ to their teenage son or daughter ? How about politics ? History ?Future plans financially ? No , not in most cases . Just sports . So who is left to tell them about Jesus ?Maybe Mom , or the Grandparents ,(If the kid is fortunate enough to have them ).

A parent that pushes their child into sports at the expense of missing church , or personal time with them discussing Meaningfull topics , or find out what may be bothering them etc... That parent is a FAILURE.

In conclusion of this rant , (at least for now ), Yes it is true , I am no fan of organized sports . But if some time in the future my son decides to get into sports of any type , I will cheer him on . But if that sport interferes with our relationship , or takes more of his time than church or his relationship with Christ , I will put a stop to it as soon as possible . Would I forbid him to participate ? Probably not . I am a salesman and an entrepreneur . It is just a matter of giving alternatives.But I may discuss that later , for now , Good Night and God Bless .
[zzzzzz]

--------------------
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Posts: 81 | From: Georgetown , Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProphecyEye
Advanced Member
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProphecyEye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the purpose of a "team" mentality? Where in the real world is team work really necessary?

I don't know... how about the military? How about a software development team? Opportunities for being able to get along and work together to create or accomplish something more than the sum of the individuals occur constantly. How about a missionary team? I hardly think individuals can accomplish something that a team working together can accomplish.

When your "team" wins , what do YOU get?

You get enjoyment just as some people get enjoyment out of their job. Just because you personally don't get enjoyment out of participating in sports doesn't mean everyone else doesn't enjoy playing and winning.

So when you compete and win in sports, it has nothing to do with the real world, because you can't pay your bills with kudos

You're right, you pay the bills with your multi-million dollar contracts. The kudos is just the icing on the cake.

Also when you lose everyone says comforting things like "It's only a game" , and " winning isn't everything" , or "maybe next time" ---- So if it really never mattered , why did you waste your time participating in the first place?

Because professional athletes have already been paid. Besides a lot of athletes do not say these things. You are making a broad generalization of people who just play for fun and enjoyment.

I personally do not enjoy watching sports and I agree that some people mess up their priorities with them but that doesn't mean they are totally useless or that a large majority of other people don't derive pleasure (or "real world" money/skills) out of them by playing or spectating.

Like Cameron said, I think your entire point is that you personally don't like sports.

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post Brother Ahma.

Sports can be a false idol, having a higher priority than academics in our schools. How many miss Sunday night services to watch the Super Bowl?

How many spend more time focused on sports, then they do focused on our Lord?

1 Thess. 5:
17: Pray without ceasing.

Are we in a God-honoring attitude of prayer when we desire one boxer to punch the other hard enough to knock him to the ground?

Is there not striking similarity between the Roman Colosseum, and the preponderance of multi-hundred-million dollar sports complexes?

The wife and kids may be neglected, but make sure that the Sunday game is on!!

How often do the fans of the WWE desire to see two or more wrestlers/gladiators pummel each other and see blood flow?

Keep the masses focused on games and they will be distracted into complacency.

Brother Ahma you made a strong point, and we truly need to place God first and foremost ahead of all else, especially games.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cameron
Advanced Member
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cameron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say your point is you hate sport.

--------------------
Why do we care what people think of us when we know what God thinks of us?

Posts: 332 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AhmaBeliever
Advanced Member
Member # 43

Icon 3 posted      Profile for AhmaBeliever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sports are an opiate for the masses .Marx said that about religon , ( as well as Gov. Jesse Ventura ) . But we all know that is wrong . But it does apply to sports . Sports instill a "team" mentality .What is the purpose of a "team" mentality ? Where in the real world is team work really necessary ? How about on an assembly line ? In my experience , when an employer mentioned "team" work , it meant more benefit and prosperity for the owner(s) of the business I was working for - and nothing more OR less for me.
Do sports encourage competition ? How ? When your "team" wins , what do YOU get ? No , I did not say what do "professional" athletes with million dollar contracts get . I said what do YOU or even your "team" get ? A few kudos and cheers , maybe your name in the paper , a pat on the back --- AKA SQUAT ! So when you compete and win in sports , it has nothing to do with the real world , because you can't pay your bills with kudos .Also when you lose everyone says comforting things like "It's only a game" , and " winning isn't everything" , or "maybe next time" ---- So if it really never mattered , why did you waste your time participating in the first place ? To "win" ? For what ? Oh yeah , the kudos .
In the real world , when you "win" you get paid , and you can feed your family , put a roof on your head , clothes on your back , and acquire whatever else you may want or need . And when you lose in the real world , you can't feed your family , you lose your home ,your car gets repossessed .... anotherwords , losing MATTERS .No matter how often you may have lost in sports you previously participated in , it could not possibly have prepared you for REAL LOSS.

So what's my point ? [zzzzzz] [zzzzzz] [zzzzzz]

--------------------
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Posts: 81 | From: Georgetown , Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement