Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Weightloss

Author Topic: Weightloss
Not the One
Community Member
Member # 1762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not the One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Food can be an addiction just like drugs or booze or cigs. I lost 30 lbs when I quit drinking beer during the week,started watching what I ate and began exercising.
It's tough to lose wieght for some...it just really comes down to a change in lifestyle. Easy for some , hard for others.
It might sound silly but as you go along on your diet...take a minute to look at yourself naked in the mirror and look at the parts you feel need improvement. Find an exercise that pinpoints those parts and do it....it won't happen overnight but if you stick with it, soon you'll need all new smaller clothes.
Godd Luck.

--------------------
It's al good as long as no one is hurt

Posts: 7 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phaze
Advanced Member
Member # 1688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sloth and gluttony. If you fight these two evils, you will lose weight.

God gives us free will. Don't take the easy way out and give into temptation.

Also, it is Satan who tells us that it is OK to indulge and be lazy. Don't believe in those concepts.

Imagine how proud God will be as you shed ugly fat from your body.

--------------------
Don't be a doubting Thomas

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bryce
Member # 1522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bryce   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I would welcome correspondance from any of you working on losing a bit of weight. I'm giving it a shot now and I'd love the shared experience, encouragement and advice! Any takers?

--------------------
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess in Jesus Christ. My belief is born out of the furnace of doubt." - Fyodor Dostoevski

Posts: 5 | From: USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Ones in Christ, we should long for the day when we might hear the words,"Well done though good and faithful servant." In the motto of an armed service, Be ALL you can be, for His glory.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Main Entry: 1stew·ard
Pronunciation: 'stü-&rd, 'styü-; 'st(y)u(-&)rd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English stIweard, from stI, stig hall, sty + weard ward -- more at STY, WARD
Date: before 12th century
1 : one employed in a large household or estate to manage domestic concerns (as the supervision of servants, collection of rents, and keeping of accounts)
2 : SHOP STEWARD
3 : a fiscal agent
4 a : an employee on a ship, airplane, bus, or train who manages the provisioning of food and attends passengers b : one appointed to supervise the provision and distribution of food and drink in an institution
5 : one who actively directs affairs : MANAGER

Matthew 25:
14: For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
15: And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
16: Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
17: And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
18: But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
19: After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
20: And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
21: His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
22: He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
23: His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
24: Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
25: And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
26: His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
27: Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
28: Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
29: For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
30: And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Main Entry: sloth
Pronunciation: 'sloth, 'släth also 'slOth
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural sloths /with ths or [th]z/
Etymology: Middle English slouthe, from slow slow
Date: 12th century
1 a : disinclination to action or labor : INDOLENCE b : spiritual apathy and inactivity <the deadly sin of sloth>
2 : any of the slow-moving arboreal edentate mammals that comprise two genera (Bradypus and Choloepus), inhabit tropical forests of So. and Central America, hang from the branches back downward, and feed on leaves, shoots, and fruits -- compare THREE-TOED SLOTH, TWO-TOED SLOTH
[sloth illustration]

We are the temple of the Holy Ghost, we are ambassadors of Christ, and stewards of God's resources,(which includes our own bodies). If we allow ourselves to become overweight, or sick, or injured, or in any way harmed by our own actions, overeating, smoking, drinking, hazardous activities, then we are abusing God's resources, and denying God Almighty their full efficency. We thus become bad and slothful servants of the Living God.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no skinny-minnie either. And I have a long way to go.

But I have learned that even in this area I have to surrender to Christ if I'm going to succeed.

The key to weight loss, I've found, is less food and more exercise. It sounds terrible, I know, but once you start moderate exercise and cut back on the food a bit, you begin to feel better, and it's much easier to continue. There are days sometimes when it's hard, and you don't think you can keep on, but with the Spirit's help you work through it, the pounds keep melting off, and you feel better and better.

Could a person lose weight without Christ, and keep the weight off without Christ? Of course. But as a Christian it is important to continue to surrender our lives to Christ, more and more, every day. It is a good thing to partner with Him in this. That way you won't have to do it all in your own strength.

Gary

--------------------
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23 NASB

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cameron
Advanced Member
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cameron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you! My friend is really fat, but instead of doing anything about it, he does absolutely no exercise whatsoever and eats almost nothing but junk food, and he complains about being fat and that it isn't fair. He could learn a lesson from you!

--------------------
Why do we care what people think of us when we know what God thinks of us?

Posts: 332 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt
Advanced Member
Member # 853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you! [Big Grin] [thumbsup2]

God Bless and good luck!!!

Posts: 23 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JMJaneway
Community Member
Member # 1450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JMJaneway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just joined Weight Watchers. I have been in it 1 week and have lost 4.2 pounds. I did this because I firmly believe that I am not treating my body the way God intended. So I am hoping to make some lifestyle changes and do better.
Now I know that I can not be the only overweight Christian out there so maybe we can be a surrpot group for each other and motivate each other do treat our body as the temple of God!

Posts: 9 | From: Houston | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement