Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

| | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Bible Topics.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Sunday School dilemma

Author Topic: Sunday School dilemma
SamanthaDanielsMom
Member # 1197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SamanthaDanielsMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your advice, Vicki. Until our new Church is built, there's really no place for us to go unless we go outside. But this little boy is known for running off so there's no way I can keep up with him, my daughter and 6 month old son. So we're pretty much stuck. After reading your advice, I had decided that if his dad did come in like that and hang around, I was going to let him know that his son is fine when he leaves and focuses much better without him in there. But I think his dad is getting the same feeling. He showed up before Sunday School started yesterday and put the doughnuts in there. Then he was in the sanctuary. Honestly, I think it's because he just didn't want to deal with what he dealt with last Sunday. His son went into one temper tantrum after another and he finally had to leave the room with him. So I think he was just avoiding that. Which is fine with me. He's admitted to me before that they only send him to daycare because they can't handle him. But, yesterday was wonderful. I got through my lesson. Of course they are young and I have to bring their attention back often, but I can handle that part. So I'll just see what happens from here on out. The next time he stays in there, I'll just plan on talking to him then and letting him know how his son does without him in there. Thanks, again!

Lynn

--------------------
~Lynn~
Wife to Dan
Mommy to Samantha and Daniel

Posts: 5 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
hello Lynn,
my husband Art asked me to reply to your post, as I taught Sunday School for most of ten years, the pre school and grades 1-3.

First of all, Praise the Lord for desiring to teach these little ones. As someone told me years ago, they won't remember much of what you teach them, but they are developing an attitude towards the word of God. If they see you love the Bible and the Lord, they will have a soft heart to learn His word. Also its amazing what sponges these little ones be, when they are a couple of years older they will learn much, due in part the example you are showing them at this early age.

First I would say that Dad is the problem, perhaps you could have a private talk with him and ask him not to interrupt your class, explain to him how you are strongly desiring to teach the word of God to his son and ask him to please not interrupt you because it is such a distraction to his son. He certainly is a hindrance, especially if he is bringing donuts and inviting his son to go to the store with him, that ought not so to be, it is disruptive to you and teaching his son that he does not have to have respect for you as his teacher. If he does not listen, I would have the pastor speak to him, this should not be allowed to go on.

Then I would be lovingly firm with this child, I always used to start the class by asking if there was anything they wanted to share and then they knew that the lesson was for learning, if someone's mind started to wander I just used to include "listening _______?" right into the lesson and it caught their attention. You can accomplish much with a firm but loving tone...

Also could you move out of the nursery? Once they have started Sunday School, children need a place of their own with their teacher, even just a little spot, maybe a little table and chairs set off by itself, away from all the goodies.

If you have a heart for the little ones, I hope that you will stay with them. Not everyone wants to teach, it is a gift from God to have someone who really desires to do this.

Please don't be frustrated. Pray for the Lord's intervention in this matter to convict the boy's father to let you teach, and to give the boy a willing heart to learn.

Blessings to you.

In Christ
Vicki

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SamanthaDanielsMom
Member # 1197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SamanthaDanielsMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how to handle this. I'm frustrated, praying and just really don't know what to do. I attend a really small Church. I teach the 2 and 3 year old Sunday School class. In the class is one little boy and my daughter. He is 2 1/2 and she is getting ready to turn 3. Besides that, I have my 6 month old son in there since there are no other babies in the Church.

The problem is that the last 4 out of 5 Sundays I did not get to teach. This little boy is a handful to say the least. He throws a fit when his mom tries to leave him there. She also teaches Sunday School so she has to go. Then his dad always arrives in the middle of the lesson with doughnuts for the Church. Part of the problem is the nursery, where I am at, is also where the coffee pot and doughnuts are. So that's where dad comes in. Of course his son then just takes off for his dad. So there goes the lesson. I cannot get control of his son if his dad is in there. Sometimes his dad will turn around and leave, but not if the son throws a big enough fit. I prayed and decided at one point I would just turn to my daughter and continue to teach her. But with this little boy throwing fits and his dad literally yelling at him, there's no way I can keep my daughter's attention.

If I'm not dealing with the little boy and his dad, somebody is constantly interrupting. Some people arrived too late for Sunday School so they came in there where the coffee is. So they're standing over there talking. It's really hard to keep the attention of these two with that going on around them. And there's really no other place to put the coffee. Like I said, it's a really small Church.

A couple of weeks ago I did have them both sitting down and they were doing a great job. His dad found out that we needed creamer for the coffee. So he comes over and asks his son if he wanted to go to the grocery store with him! Of course the little boy jumped up and went. But he could have left and his little boy never would have known!

I have talked to my Pastor's wife, but not recently. She knows how this little boys dad is. But we worry that if we do say something to him, they'll get mad and leave the Church. We don't want them to stop going to Church because of this.

I'm just so frustrated because I really want to teach these kids and I just can't get it done. I'm going to talk to my Pastor and his wife and see what they suggest. But I was wondering if anybody else has ever dealt with anything like this and how it was handled. That way I can approach them with some ideas.

One idea I did have was maybe letting his mom teach this class and I take over her class. Maybe then the dad won't feel a need to be in there. I don't know. But this little boy is very aggressive and I guess I feel guilty for leaving my daughter in there without me. My 6 month old will go with me no matter what. This little boy poked him with a sharp object the last time I left my son in there with him and his mom.

Thanks for listening. It does help to get this out.

--------------------
~Lynn~
Wife to Dan
Mommy to Samantha and Daniel

Posts: 5 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement