Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Stress and anxiety

Author Topic: Stress and anxiety
Sojourner
Advanced Member
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tanya,

Yes I realized you had a child relative that was murdered. While we view this as tragic, we need to hold on to the truth that God is good. He does what is right and doesn't make mistakes. So while we don't understand why He allows some of the tragedies, we must bring Him the sacrifice of praise. To praise Him even during the hard times and give up our right to understand. Praising Him allows us to see that God's view is much broader than our own and He can shoulder the burdens that are so grievesome for us to carry. Lay it down. Don't allow yourself to live in the torturing misery of panic attacks- that's the easiest thing to do, not to trust, but it does not lead to healthy results. And it accomplishes nothing. All our worry cannot add one day to the days ordained for each of your children to live before as yet there was even one of them (Ps. 139:16). You called it right when you mentioned living one day at a time. Jesus told us each day has enough trouble of its own and not to be anxious about tomorrow. So realize the horror (looking at it from the fleshly side) that nothing you can do can save your children if it is the time God chooses to call them home. But then realize with relief that God is good and makes no mistakes. You can trust God- His all powerful, all loving hands are the best hands for your children to be in. Relinquish them to Him- our family doesn't belong to us, they belong to God. And live in freedom from fear. Isaiah 26:3

Posts: 276 | From: CA, U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanya
Community Member
Member # 991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanya   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sojourner,
Yes, I definately need more sleep! Reguarding the cell phone, we aren't in the best money situation right now. We do well with the bills and groceries but don't usually have a lot left over at the end of each week. Just enough where we are not struggling paycheck to paycheck. We are going to get our taxes done Monday and that is on the top of my to do list. So, I will be getting one! As far as my children being in Gods hands... maybe you haven't read my other post. I had a 4 year old nephew murdered. 4 years old!!! He was but a baby and I know God didn't cause his death. But it wasn't stopped either. I am having real religion issues right now that I am really trying to overcome. I do believe in God and the fact that he gave his only son so that we may be forgiven of our sins. I am really questioning His motives right now. I know it is not my place to do so, but it is hard for me not to. My life has been really hard emotionally since this time and I am trying to trust that there is a good reason God allowed such a horrific thing to happen. These ore my problems and I have to deal with them, until I do... I think my panic attacks will just continue. I realize all of this... and am trying to take things one day at a time. I am just having a hard time with trusting that God will protect and take care of my children. But as I said before, these are issues I need to work through.

--------------------
"He hath sent me to heal the broken-hearted, to preach deliverance to the captive and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are brused."

"Fear not, my child. My hands hold thee fast and thou art wrapped in abiding love."

Posts: 10 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
Advanced Member
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanya,
Definitely sounds like you need more sleep. Your children are in God's hands- that's the safest place they can be! Have you ever considered getting a cell phone for the car? I definitely would not drive if I was in the middle of a panic attack.

Sojourner

Posts: 276 | From: CA, U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanya
Community Member
Member # 991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanya   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,
Perhaps you are right. With my schedule, the only sleep I usually get is between 12:30am and 3:30am, with an occassional nap here and there. Long story behind these hours... I get up with my husband at 3:30am and get him ready and off to work, get the kids up about 6am to start getting them ready and off to school. I then take care of the little one all day and get the kids from school, dinner ready, baths and bed, ect, ect, ect... By the time I get the house cleaned up and myself relaxed, I have to leave to get my father at work at 11:15pm. He has no drivers license. When I go to get him, this is pretty much the only time I am completely alone and not doing something else other than driving. I guess you could say this is my thinking time. That's when the bad thoughts and panic attacks come into play. I am, other than at this time, a very busy, highstrung person... I go, go, go, go, go all day long and don't take much time for anything else. On top of that, I am home with my children... even when the boys are in school, I know if anything happens to them... the school will call me first. I can take care of any situations... I am here to do it all! Maybe these happen when they do because, when I go get my father, I am unreachable... if anything happens, I will not know about it until I get home. At that time, I am not in control of what happens at home or what is happening with my children. I don't know... all I know is that I wish they would just go away!

--------------------
"He hath sent me to heal the broken-hearted, to preach deliverance to the captive and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are brused."

"Fear not, my child. My hands hold thee fast and thou art wrapped in abiding love."

Posts: 10 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
Advanced Member
Member # 19

Tanya- perhaps when you are tired you are more susceptible to the negative thoughts that may get a panic attack started? It didn't seem to matter what time of day it was for me. [Frown]
Tanya
Community Member
Member # 991

As soon as I realized I was starting to loose it, I just kept asking God to help me. I kept telling myself that I am not going to let this happen. The kids were all going to be fine and that it was only a panic attack and it was all in my mind. I may have said a few other things but I kept repeating these over and over again. Unfortunately, I did have another one last night... the praying and talking didn't work. I had my daughter with me and the boys were home with their dad. Usually I don't take my daughter when I go to pick my father up. He gets off work at Midnight. However, my younger sisters son is ill and she didn't want to leave him at home alone with his father. It is the babys first ilness and he is dads first child. So I can't say that I blame her. I didn't want my daughter to get ill from the baby so I couldn't drop her with my sister. My daughter was awake and my husband and the boys were asleep. So, I didn't have much of a choice either as her father could sleep through a building collapsing around him. It's strange, but these things only seem to happen at night???

--------------------

Sojourner
Advanced Member
Member # 19

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's wonderful that you were able to talk yourself out of an attack! How did you do it? The Lord is with you always. He is our comfort and shelter from the storm.
Tanya
Community Member
Member # 991

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Tanya   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,
Thank you so much for your reply! I have been checking every day since I posted and was beginning to think that I WAS going crazy. I have had two more of these attacks since my last post. The first on, I just rode out. I couldn't do anything else. The second one happened last night. My 22 month old daughter broke her collar bone Sunday while I was home.... Imagine the guilt there... I had to leave her with my youngest sister while I went to pick up my father from work. I started into an attack and actually talked myself out of it! I was so happy, I almost cried. I am going to try to deal with these without medication if I can. If I can't then I will do what I need to do to help myself. I cannot function this way, thank you so much for your concern.
Tanya

--------------------

Sojourner
Advanced Member
Member # 19

Hi Tanya,

Your symptoms described indeed sound like panic attacks. I recently heard in the news about people who have suffered from these attacks for several years who actually got pacemakers to slow down their heart rate when it starts going fast with an attack. It evidently helped them. I suffered from a number of anxiety attack myself while going through a nervous breakdown. I know it is an absolute nightmare. I would shake uncontrollably and be so frightened- I didn't really have a reason why I was so frightened, other than I was afraid I would die because of how sick I was. Four things helped me:
1. Someone praying aloud for me- I was in no good condition to think of what to pray myself.
2. Reading Scriptures- I have a journal with many helpful ones.
3. When my dad put his arms around me through one and empathized with me and prayed for me.
4. Tranquilizers- I was allowed by the psychiatrist to take up to 40 mg a day of Librium. I have gradually weaned down to using them fairly seldom when I am uptight/anticipating high stress level.

And don't forget to do some deep breathing- this slows your heart rate and helps bring oxygen to your brain and body. Tell yourself- this is not real, I am having a panic attack. I am not going to die. If I faint from lack of oxygen, then I will begin breathing normally again: I will not stop breathing. If you get a lump in your throat, as I did, know that you are not going to suffocate: I used to **** on a sugarless peppermint during those times to soothe the throat feeling. And know that God will not allow anything to happen to your children that is not in His perfect will. Give them to God- they are His: relinquish them to Him. He can take care of them so much better than we humans can. His lovingkindness is everlasting. I have prayed for you, Tanya. Please let me know how you are faring.

Sojourner

Tanya
Community Member
Member # 991

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Tanya   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry, I have to comment here and ask a few questions. I have been having (what I think are) panic/aniexty attacks for the last 16 months. I have not seen a doctor for this. Let me elaborate a little. My 4 year old nephew was murdered in October of 2001. Since this time, I have experience attacks... here are the symptoms... fast hart rate (it feels like it is going to jump out of my chest)... the feeling of not being able to breath... arms/legs/and sometimes face gets numb and sometimes ache... I feel like I am dieing. I ONLY experience these symptioms when I am not around my own children. And it is not every single time I am away from them. I think there is a connection with this and the fact that my nephew was murdered. I do worry about my children whenever I leave them. I have horrible thoughts about what can happen to them (even though they are with their own father or another very trustworthy person) Accidents do happen and I always think of the worst thing that could happen. I cannot control these, I have prayed during these attacks. Sometimes the only thing I can get out is "Lord, please help me." over and over and over again. Are these panic/anxiety attacks? should I seek medical advice? Is there any scriptures in reference to these things? Help, Please. I try to keep the below passages in my mind at all times to get me through all of this. But I feel like I am going crazy at times. Thank you for letting me get this off of my chest. If I would talk to my family about all of this they would think I am crazy. My husband, grandmother and father are the only other people that know about this and grandma thinks I am a little off. I dont think my husband really knows how bad this is for me because he just sort of brushed it off.
And the only thing my father is worried about is keeping me on the road while he is riding with me. (probably not a wise idea to drive while having these but they do happen when they want to. If I get them bad enough, after I get home, they do continue. There was one night that I got home and tried a hot shower, a warm cup of tea and watched a little tv to try to forget about it. It wouldn't go away. I ended up falling asleep in the middle of it after praying to God that if I was to die in my sleep to please have mercy on my soul and please take care of my babies. I am in tears here, I am at my wits end...Please help...

--------------------

Sojourner
Advanced Member
Member # 19

A person should try to reduce their stress level by taking away unnecessary stressers in life. There are other stresses you just have to give to God. If the anxiety and stress is out of control totally, as it was with me when I was having multiple panic attacks and could not keep food in, tranquilizers (such as Librium) can help. Pray when you're anxious. Trust God- because anxiety is not trusting Him. Read His word. Listen to soothing Christian or instrumental music. Soak in the beauty of God's creation. Take a bath and relax. Thank God for trials, putting it off your shoulders to where it belongs. Lay your burdens down. This is a life long process. We all have anxiety at times. That's why God gave so much attention to it in the Bible, because He knows we have problems with anxiety, not trusting Him, not keeping our eyes on Him. (Is. 26:3)
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
karstenm, Welcome to the board, [Kiss] its nice to have you here with us [thumbsup]

Tell your friend:

Fear, worry, stress and anxiety are not from the Lord. If you feel these emotions, you are not fully trusting the Lord to handle your troubles. Every person struggles with these feelings when he should relinquish a problem into the Lord’s care. When relying on one’s own strength, fear and doubt arise naturally. But, when you truly cast our cares upon the Lord, you can rest easy in His comforting arms.

Even if you don’t mean it at first, verbally turn your worry over to God. Speak the words, “Lord, I give this issue in my life to You. I place it in Your keeping for I know that You are in control.” Then, every time worry and doubt begin to creep in, say those words again. Eventually, you will find that you have to do that less and less.

Then, take it one step farther, 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." Why would you want to thank God for your problems? James explains it this way, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”

God has a plan for your life and, sometimes, He must work out that plan in you through adversity. Are you willing to let God mold you and shape you according to His will? “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall” (Psalm 55:22).

John 14:27, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." Ephesians 2:14, "For he himself is our peace."

Philippians 4:7, "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karstenm
Member # 59

Icon 17 posted      Profile for karstenm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do we as Christians deal with stress and anxiety? Do we learn to cope - or is there a way out?

I'd like to get in touch with people who knows that - and can give me good "down to earth" christian advice on the subject.

I'm not suffering from the condition myself - but I'm trying my best to help someone else.

I'd prefer to speak to christians who "have been there", and know from experience how to fight and win - or people who from counselling or helping someone through the battle can give me some valuable inputs.

If this is you - please reply to this post - or send me a private message on these boards.

Thanks

Karstenm

Posts: 4 | From: Liverpool UK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement