Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Can We Live Together in Community?

Author Topic: Can We Live Together in Community?
njclary
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shall jump in here.

As we all can see there is broad disagreements between believers. The main line Churches try to preach ecumenicalism, or a merging of various doctrines and watering them down so all would agree. but that waters down the True Message of Salvation, and the Promise of Grace.

Bible believing Churches, have seen that truth and spurned it. But between Bible believing Churches there is doctrinal differences, and because each group stands on their own interpretations, there will mever be agreement. hance no 'true' community. There can be cooperation between groups but no community.

God Bless

Joel

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CommunityOfChrist
Community Member
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CommunityOfChrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh MAC, I see what you're getting at. Yes that may very well be the case. Apostasy is running wild, I must agree. We must all flee from that. It's so disheartening to see the church of Christ in it's current state. We do know, however, that the church of Jesus is made up in the spiritual of the reborn children of God and not just the material churches we see. So even though the churches we see may seem to be so spiritually deficient and lacking, the church of Christ (which exists beyond them) will never die and will never pass and will never fail. So yes, now I see where you were getting at. Sorry for being so confused! [spiny]
Posts: 8 | From: PA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommunityOfChrist:

What you have in mind at this time will take place not to long from now. Apostacy is greatly increasing in this nation like wild grass and that is when all the sons of God will depart from among, and will be a Community in Christ waiting for that wonderful hour..... [Cross]

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have NOTHING to do with false gospel and false teaching. to depart from among them.......

--------------------

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CommunityOfChrist
Community Member
Member # 783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CommunityOfChrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAC? I don't follow how this relates to Christian community ... but maybe I am just confused which may very well be the case [uhoh]
Posts: 8 | From: PA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Quote;

For example, we can understand the magnitude of the spiritual desolation, the soon coming worldwide "flood of lies" (Rev. 12:14-15), which is that mass deception (falling away) of the whole world brought about by the father of lies (Satan) when he is cast from heaven in Rev. 12:7-9, by VISUALIZING the physical devastation caused by the flood of water in Noah's day! Our Father is so good to us in giving us PICTURES to simplify and help make clear our understanding of that which cannot be seen! You can SEE people's bodies drowning in a massive flood of water but you cannot SEE people's souls drowning in a flood of deception! Got it?

--------------------

CommunityOfChrist
Community Member
Member # 783

Well I think if one does research into the writings of the early church that do exist, one would find how they lived and by what standards the did. It's very eye opening.
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is possible and then this might take place one way or the other;

Matthew 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

Mark 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

Luke 21:21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto

--------------------

CommunityOfChrist
Community Member
Member # 783

Well abidinginhim, one thing we have to look seriously at is that Christianity at large in these days has been greatly influenced by secular society rather than the reverse. The church of Christ Jesus was to never be influenced by the world - it was to exist to be the vessel of influence and change on the world. We were to be salt and light to the world. Yet the world has invaded the church. At very best, then, we must as individual Christians choose to change our lives in very radical and purposeful ways so that the world may see that the Kingdom of God is in great contrast to the kingdom of this dying world.

I'm not saying everyone must live in community. At least at this point, I'm not under the belief that all are called to live in this manner - although it may be very well true that this could be the case, yet I am not in that understanding. By communal life, we may be better able to exemplify the the life we are called to live in Christ. It is not sufficient for us, as true followers of Christ, to merely "proclaim" the Gospel in words and yet live a life that appears to the world as one and the same with their lifestyle. These things are inner attributes, really. When we live lives full of greed, of lust, with impure hearts, with selfish ambitions ... these things that are of the world ... then we become more as they are and the difference between us and them fades and the world wonders if there really is a difference between God and Mammon, if Christ is truly much different then themselves. As Francis of Assisi (I believe it was him) once said, that we are to preach the Gospel and when necessary use words. The communal life is a call to live the life of following Christ and a life of deep commitment to Him and to the purposes and commands of the Kingdom of God.

So it is not hiding in a shack, hoping for the world to go away. It's not trying to pretend a world much different than the Kingdom of God exists out there somewhere. It is about cultivating a life, living a life, that is wholly and completely consecrated to Jesus Christ and to the purposes of God. Scripture does call us to come out and be seperate (2 Corinthians 6, I believe) and to not be unequally yoked with unbelievers (which was never even spoken by Paul in the context of marriage, which is the context it is commonly understood within). The cry for a life of Christian community is a cry to live for Christ and in so doing to shine the light of the Gospel to the darkness that is invading this world. It does not mean you do not go out to preach the Gospel, you do so but with the power of the Spirit of God and of a life given wholly to Him. It means you live a life that is one with the poor and helps the poor as best it can, not because it has to but because it is the life it lives. A life that is not full of worldy riches and possessions because they are many without those and to have them would mean agreeing with the very greed that causes poverty. So it's not just a life of isolation, it's a life of consecration.

abidinginhim
Advanced Member
Member # 620

Icon 20 posted      Profile for abidinginhim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are we to fulfill the great commission and go into all the world and preach the gospel if we are all together in one little, closed-knit, communal group?

--------------------
It's All About Him!

Posts: 137 | From: The Mountains of NC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CommunityOfChrist
Community Member
Member # 783

Icon 10 posted      Profile for CommunityOfChrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the difference it will bring is allowing those Christians that are so called to do so to live together, to share all things. When you renounce possessions and the things of this world then many of the entanglements are freed up as well (though it can be said that it may not always be the case). The early church lived like that and we can find that out by looking at history and much of their writings. It allows us to live a life of love with each other as brothers and sisters. If anyone is really interested in it I'd suggest reading some of Eberhard Arnold's writings on it. He founded the Bruderhof communities. This site has a good bit of his writings and essays: http://www.eberhardarnold.com

How will it affect the world? It affects the world by Christians rejecting the rules and the ways of the world as a whole. I think it'd be great to not only live in community but to be a community focused on evangelising and on helping those in need (poor, widows, etc.). Perhaps living in a communal life where there is no greater or less, all are equals and the things of this world are renounced, then our hearts are more free to love and to sacrifice.

I know community life is not for everyone and I know it's not "normal." We are called to come out and to be seperate. It seems in these days that the church has looked much like society. We've talked like them, chased after the same things as them. Where has the drastic different between society and the world (darkness) and the church of Jesus Christ (light) been seen? There is a stark different between the two yet in these days it seems they've become closer and closer to being the same.

Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommunityOfChrist, Welcome to the board [Kiss]

Nice to have you here [thumbsup]

About your topic, I think you are close to the amish people, up there in Lancaster, Pa...
[cool hat] I have never wanted to live with a bunch of people, Christian or not.

I like being alone, I wish I could be alone more then I am.. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

What assurance you have that this will bring a different among the sinners!

A pot full of saints?

--------------------

CommunityOfChrist
Community Member
Member # 783

Icon 20 posted      Profile for CommunityOfChrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings to you in the glorious, most wonderful name of Christ Jesus - who alone is Lord. My name is Ron and I'm a 25 year old Christian guy from Pittsburgh, PA in the USA. I have an intriguing question for you all - can we live together in Christian community?

If we took the care to research the early church fathers, then we will learn that they did live together in communal life. They had all things in common, no one had any personal possessions and they met, practiced the doctrine of the Apostles, prayed and broke bread together. They left themselves behind. They left societal life behind. They turned their back and chose to refuse all the things of the flesh and of this world that cause sin to abound (such as greed and lust and pride) to live a life of love, or worship and of humility.

My question is - can it be so today too? I'm very interested to speaking with anyone who may be interested in this as well. I'd like to open conversation with anyone desirous of living in Christian community. This means leaving alot behind and consecrating alot of our lives to Christ. The idea is to perhaps investigate the possibility of purchasing (via gifts and donations of other Christians) a piece of land hopefully with some sort of farm or something of the sort on it. My heart is to see it be a source of community as well as a means of outreach and evangelism and a means to help the poor and destitute. So perhaps by living together, sharing all things in common as the early church did, seeking a life of prayer and of communion with God and for each other, we can shine a light to this world for Christ.

Part of this call involves the voluntary vow of poverty - to live a life free of possessions and money. It also includes a heart desire to live a life of self-sacrifice and self-denial, to live a life of non-violence and rejection of this worlds ideal that the further carnage of bodies and emptying out of human blood will some day bring out peace. The early church spoke as if by one mind and heart on the subject of war and violence: we are Christians, we cannot fight.

I'm not sure what I think of this either and some of you may be greatly turned off. If so that is ok. If you desire to learn more try reading some of Eberhard Arnold's writings on community or you can look up the Bruderhof online. He has been a great influence on me. I'm just curious if other Christians exist who share this sort of desire for Christian communal life. If you're interested in speaking more please either respond heere and we can have dialog or else email me at christian_communal@yahoo.com . Thanks and may the peace of Christ reign with you.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement