Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Chosen

Author Topic: Chosen
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chosen

Spoken of warriors (Exo_15:4; Jdg_20:16), of the Hebrew nation (Psa_105:43; Deu_7:7), of Jerusalem as the seat of the temple (1Ki_11:13). Christ is the “chosen” of God (Isa_42:1); and the apostles are “chosen” for their work (Act_10:41). It is said with regard to those who do not profit by their opportunities that “many are called, but few are chosen” (Mat_20:16). (See ELECTION.)

Election of Grace

The Scripture speaks

(1.) of the election of individuals to office or to honour and privilege, e.g., Abraham, Jacob, Saul, David, Solomon, were all chosen by God for the positions they held; so also were the apostles.

(2.) There is also an election of nations to special privileges, e.g., the Hebrews (Deu_7:6; Rom_9:4).

(3.) But in addition there is an election of individuals to eternal life (2Th_2:13; Eph_1:4; 1Pe_1:2; Joh_13:18).

The ground of this election to salvation is the good pleasure of God

(Eph_1:5, Eph_1:11; Mat_11:25, Mat_11:26; Joh_15:16, Joh_15:19). God claims the right so to do (Rom_9:16, Rom_9:21).
It is not conditioned on faith or repentance, but is of sovereign grace (Rom_11:4-6; Eph_1:3-6). All that pertain to salvation, the means (Eph_2:8; 2Th_2:13) as well as the end, are of God (Act_5:31; 2Ti_2:25; 1Co_1:30; Eph_2:5, Eph_2:10). Faith and repentance and all other graces are the exercises of a regenerated soul; and regeneration is God's work, a “new creature.”
Men are elected “to salvation,” “to the adoption of sons,” “to be holy and without blame before him in love” (2Th_2:13; Gal_4:4, Gal_4:5; Eph_1:4).

The ultimate end of election is the praise of God's grace (Eph_1:6, Eph_1:12). (See PREDESTINATION.)

Predestination

This word is properly used only with reference to God's plan or purpose of salvation. The Greek word rendered “predestinate” is found only in these six passages, Act_4:28; Rom_8:29, Rom_8:30; 1Co_2:7; Eph_1:5, Eph_1:11; and in all of them it has the same meaning. They teach that the eternal, sovereign, immutable, and unconditional decree or “determinate purpose” of God governs all events.

This doctrine of predestination or election is beset with many difficulties. It belongs to the “secret things” of God. But if we take the revealed word of God as our guide, we must accept this doctrine with all its mysteriousness, and settle all our questionings in the humble, devout acknowledgment, “Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.”

For the teaching of Scripture on this subject let the following passages be examined in addition to those referred to above; Gen_21:12; Exo_9:16; Exo_33:19; Deu_10:15; Deu_32:8; Jos_11:20; 1Sa_12:22; 2Ch_6:6; Psa_33:12; Psa_65:4; Psa_78:68; Psa_135:4; Isa_41:1-10; Jer_1:5; Mar_13:20; Luk_22:22; Joh_6:37; Joh_15:16; Joh_17:2, Joh_17:6, Joh_17:9; Act_2:28; Act_3:18; Act_4:28; Act_13:48; Act_17:26; Rom_9:11, Rom_9:18, Rom_9:21; Rom_11:5; Eph_3:11; 1Th_1:4; 2Th_2:13; 2Ti_1:9; Tit_1:2; 1Pe_1:2. (See DECREES OF GOD; ELECTION.)

Hodge has well remarked that, “rightly understood, this doctrine

(1.) exalts the majesty and absolute sovereignty of God, while it illustrates the riches of his free grace and his just displeasure with sin.

(2.) It enforces upon us the essential truth that salvation is entirely of grace. That no one can either complain if passed over, or boast himself if saved.

(3.) It brings the inquirer to absolute self-despair and the cordial embrace of the free offer of Christ.

(4.) In the case of the believer who has the witness in himself, this doctrine at once deepens his humility and elevates his confidence to the full assurance of hope” (Outlines).

Decrees of God

The decrees of God are his eternal, unchangeable, holy, wise, and sovereign purpose, comprehending at once all things that ever were or will be in their causes, conditions, successions, and relations, and determining their certain futurition. The several contents of this one eternal purpose are, because of the limitation of our faculties, necessarily conceived of by us in partial aspects, and in logical relations, and are therefore styled Decrees.” The decree being the act of an infinite, absolute, eternal, unchangeable, and sovereign Person, comprehending a plan including all his works of all kinds, great and small, from the beginning of creation to an unending eternity; ends as well as means, causes as well as effects, conditions and instrumentalities as well as the events which depend upon them, must be incomprehensible by the finite intellect of man.

The decrees are eternal

(Act_15:18; Eph_1:4; 2Th_2:13), unchangeable (Psa_33:11; Isa_46:9), and comprehend all things that come to pass (Eph_1:11; Mat_10:29, Mat_10:30; Eph_2:10; Act_2:23; Act_4:27, Act_4:28; Psa_17:13, Psa_17:14).

The decrees of God are

(1.) efficacious, as they respect those events he has determined to bring about by his own immediate agency; or

(2.) permissive, as they respect those events he has determined that free agents shall be permitted by him to effect.

This doctrine ought to produce in our minds “humility, in view of the infinite greatness and sovereignty of God, and of the dependence of man; confidence and implicit reliance upon wisdom, righteousness, goodness, and immutability of God's purpose.”

Bringing Out The Beauty Steadfastly

Thank You
Love in Christ
MAC

Job 33:18-Job 33:28-PS 19:14-Ezekiel 33:7

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Waterdog
Advanced Member
Member # 24

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waterdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Sojourner. I think Mark 2:17 was what I was looking for on that one. And thanks to you and Kindgo for the verses on being chosen. If anyone has any more, feel free to let me know what they are. [thumbsup]

--------------------
So let us go forth to Him outside the camp (Heb 13:11-14)
 -  -

Posts: 374 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waterdog, here are some verses for you, I hope they help. I am still working on the second part of you request. The only thing that comes to my mind is don't preach to the choir... [hmm]

Anybody??

Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

2Th 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, [as unto] a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, [and] precious,

1Pe 2:9 But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Rev 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him [are] called, and chosen, and faithful.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
Advanced Member
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not familiar with your second topic other than if you mean Mark 2:15-17.

On chosen:
Psalm 139:16
Matthew 22:14
Luke 10:21-22
Luke 13:24
Mark 4:11-12
John 6:44, 64-65
John 15:16,19
John 17:9
Romans 8:33
Romans 9:10-24
Romans 11:5-7
I Cor. 1:18-29
Eph. 1:4-5
Eph. 2:10
II Thess. 2:13
Titus 1:1
I Peter 2:8-10

Posts: 276 | From: CA, U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Waterdog
Advanced Member
Member # 24

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Waterdog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I believe God chooses those who are to be saved, I don't have the resources or the time to find verses that support this idea. Could someone help me out here? Also, I know there's a verse somewhere that says we shouldn't witness/evangalize to fellow believers (as if it were possible to "convert" Christians to Christianity), but I have no idea where it is. Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------
So let us go forth to Him outside the camp (Heb 13:11-14)
 -  -

Posts: 374 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement