Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Further on halloween...

Author Topic: Further on halloween...
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the "church?" has to give parties to get the world to come, it has nothing to offer the world.

Amen and Amen! [Big Clap]

Does God give you all these wonderful quotes BHL?

"The heart of Every Issue is a Heart Issue"

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Halloween, this is the highest holy day of Satanist. I can not believe there is even a discussion of whether or not a Child of Y'WEH should have any involvement or even acknowedge it.

If the "church?" has to give parties to get the world to come, it has nothing to offer the world.

What has Faith in JESUS been reduced to, in the day we live?

EPH 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
EPH 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
EPH 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
EPH 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
EPH 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
EPH 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
EPH 5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
EPH 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now [are ye] light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
EPH 5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit [is] in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
EPH 5:10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
EPH 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove [them].
EPH 5:12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
EPH 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
EPH 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
EPH 5:15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
EPH 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
EPH 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord [is].
EPH 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
EPH 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
EPH 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
EPH 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry Twidwell
Community Member
Member # 285

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Larry Twidwell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This post is just to supply some information concerning halloween, and is not meant to cause argument. I myself, if put in the position to have make a decision on the subject of halloween, would decide on the basis of the following passage.

1 Corinthians 8:9  But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.
10  For if someone sees you, who have knowledge, dining in an idol's temple, will not his conscience, if he is weak, be strengthened to eat things sacrificed to idols?
11  For through your knowledge he who is weak is ruined, the brother for whose sake Christ died.
12  And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.
13  Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.

Every year about this time we become inclined to discuss Halloween, and what to do about it. Why the church did not designate a christian celebration for this time is unknown. Apparently it was not a widely celebrated event, or the church would have concocted some sort of christian "feast" to appease pagan society of the time.

What does history say about Christmas and Easter? These times of celebration were put into place because the early church thought that we needed to condescend to the pagan society of the time in order to save souls and strengthen the church. As usual, mankind could not put full confidence in our God. It was felt that in order for the church to survive we needed to replace the pagan feasts with feasts named under the authority of the church and to fulfill the desires of society. Sound familiar. By whatever name we use, both of these observances represent the lack of faith by leaders of the early church, and are rooted in pagan worship. The very word "Easter" is derived from the name of a pagan goddess. But, Christ is preached on these days and that is good.

Matthew 17:20 (NASB-U)
And He said to them, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

1 Corinthians 10:25  Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience´ sake;
26  FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S, AND ALL IT CONTAINS.
27  If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience´ sake.
28  But if anyone says to you, "This is meat sacrificed to idols," do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience´ sake;
29  I mean not your own conscience, but the other man's; for why is my freedom judged by another's conscience?
30  If I partake with thankfulness, why am I slandered concerning that for which I give thanks?

Our Church has a party for the local children on halloween, which provides an opportunity for witness, since many of these children come from the homes of unsaved parents. My opinion on why our Church began doing this is of no consequence. Christ is preached to the lost.

As far as observing Easter and Christmas, the torture and death of our Lord is what He wants us to remember. This is what was hard for Him. To suffer at the very hands of those whom He created and loved.

1 Corinthians 11:23  For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread;
24  and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me."
25  In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."
26  For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes.

Psalms 118:24  This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.

--------------------
Serving Him, Larry
http://www.bloodofthelamb.org

Posts: 19 | From: Klamath River, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Eyes]

[Rolling] [Laugh] [Rolling]

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Susan,
I believe you are doing just what the Lord wants you to do! [thumbsup]

Let me add a few things here...

1) The apostle Paul warns us: "But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils" (1 Cor. 10:20).

2) And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them." [Ephesians 5:11]

3) Christians should not be involved with occultic practice or divination. Note God's command against divination (Deuteronomy 18.)

4) The apostle Paul also said Witchcraft is one of the acts of the sinful nature and those who practice it will not inherit the (Galatians 5:16-21; see also Revelation 22:15).

5) Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." [Romans 12:2]

6) Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil. [1 Thesalonians 5:21-22]

7) The sort of practices celebrated on Halloween are what defiled the ancient nations [see Leviticus
18:24-30].

8) When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations." [Deuteronomy 18:9]

These are but a few examples from scripture that supports NOT having anything to do with this day.

How can we honestly justify participating in them? Sure giving tracks and attending church are good things, but the isn't it a stronger statement to flee from this day completely.

It would certainly make an impression at the stores and businesses that thrive off of Satan's confusion.

And I believe we can no more celebrate Halloween in a "good" way than we could commit adultry in a good way or steal in moderation.

It's like the old brownie story. They parents told their children that the brownies they made had just a little poop in them. They wouldn't be able to taste, or smell it, so they shouldn't worry about eating the poop. [fie]

This story is the same with Halloween. No matter how much icing is on the brownies or how much "christianized" chocalate we sprinkle into the mixture, they are still poop brownies and fully inedible as Christians.

I'm sorry, but the Freedom we have in Christ does not give us this kind of liberty.

Please don't let Satan fool you. I am very concerned about this issue, and I sincerely pray that none of you be led away from the truth.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susan:

I will keep you in prayer; I understand the struggle; I have the same problem with my own church on certain issues. I fear I may never find a church were every single item is in line. I have prayed much about leaving my church for things I dont agree with or things I want more of and at this time I have been met with the same answer from God. Pray for your church. At this time, I do that, I take what is good, and lines up with the word, and leave the rest, and pray.

Sometimes the purpose God has for us in our church at a given time is different from what we might want in our church at that time. Sometimes we are there to be servants not the served, sometimes both.

If a local church body is out of line on an issue and every member who see's it leaves, who is there to pray... to stand in the gap? Your vocal disent on an issue will often do more harm that good, but our real power is in praying (weapons not carnal)

I dont know if this helps at all, but I just wanted to encourage you that you can't go wrong if you approach a decision to leave or stay will prayerfully, the Lord will lead you.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry Twidwell
Community Member
Member # 285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry Twidwell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, our celebration of the birth of our Savior is another point of concern.
Our Church has a party on Halloween so that the children will be there instead of going around for candy. My opinion is: I just don't know what the answer is. Perhaps the motive for the observance rather than the ritual itself.

--------------------
Serving Him, Larry
http://www.bloodofthelamb.org

Posts: 19 | From: Klamath River, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan
Advanced Member
Member # 131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your most sensible response.

I will pray on what to do about all this. I'm sure they feel as strongly about their view as I feel about mine.

I do know we will not be in church that night or any night they have anything to do with halloween.

I may search for a church that shares my views on this matter. Like I said, it's prayer time over this.

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

You know this all sounds nice, I mean I agree that everyday is a day of celebration... a day the Lord hath made; but my problem is this....

1. What should Christians be doing on one the darkest pagan holidays of the year?

a. Praying against the forces of evil; strong ferverent out loud group in one accord prayer.

b. having fun, fellowshiping and etertaining and enjoying ourselves.

Are we called to see our churches as

a. opportunities of something that might bring in those who would normally never darken the doors of a church and bring their child
into a "safe haven" and hear the Gospel.

b. places to train and support saints for the mission of going OUT into all the world and PREACH the gospel?

I guess it is a matter of how we see our calling. Thanks for sharing with us susan. How do you feel? How are you going to deal with this?

Susan
Advanced Member
Member # 131

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Susan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is what the church responded with about halloween in hte church. What is your view on this please.
hope I am able to share this with you with the direction of the Holy
Spirit. I am so glad you have voiced your concern and I pray you will read
the following with an open heart and ask God to reveal to you the heart of
the leadership of this church.
In response to your comment that you realized that we celebrate holloween,
we don't celebrate holloween. Everyday is a celebration, because Christ
said in His Word, "This is the DAY that the Lord has MADE, I will rejoice
and be glad in IT". See the world does celebrate the origin of holloween by
dressing up in costume that would honor evil. Some go out and do evil acts
upon other people, I am told, some even sacrifice animals and people, but we
TAKE BACK what satan meant for bad and rejoice in it with our own
celebration. So children who want to have fun, can come have a great time
without dressing "UNGODLY", play games, eat food, fellowship with the saints
and experience the goodness of our Lord. The world try's to push their
agenda on us, but we MUST as believers, take this day back and show them
that we celebrate a Savior who wants us to have fun. You might say then
celebrate it on another day, but see satan would have us to hide under a
"rock" so to speak and say that just don't do anything on that day, but I
say in agreement with the leadership of this church, God has made this day
and every day and I refuse to let satan have a minute of my time willingly.
We will not honor holloween, we will have a celebration so children have the
alternative to see the side of Christ and the Church at work making a way of
escape. Here is an opportunity to offer something that might bring in those
who would normally never darken the doors of a church and bring their child
into a "safe haven" and hear the Gospel.
Again I thank you that you have a heart to follow the ways of our Lord
without compromise and that you are willing to hear WHY Calvary Temple and
the leadership choose to do what we do. You are a blessing to Calvary
Temple with your presence as we honor our Lord every Sunday. These are not
just words to "flatter" to "spiritualize" but to speak sincerely from our
hearts. We would never want to shame the name of our Lord with compromise
or ever degrade the meaning of why He came. We choose to celebrate and
honor God in every opportunity in every way.
If you want to discuss this any further, please feel free and know I fully
understand your heart. "For there is now no condemnation to those who are
in Christ Jesus" Rom. 8:1. Praise the Lord.

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement