Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » How would protect yourself from an attacker???

Author Topic: How would protect yourself from an attacker???
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I worry that this attitude is rebellious against Jesus--in that it seems to not put your faith or trust in Him. But I guess my carnal side is too much like John Wayne--that I feel compelled to take one with me if I have to. It's a contradiction within myself, I think.

Yes, exactly, I have the same struggle. When Redkermit posted that scripture up above here I wanted to grab it and claim it with both hands!

It is a struggle. Now it is where I am; I guess if I need to move past here God wil move me past here. And for now I hope I am not in the position to be tested in that way. This is exactly why I say.. 1. I do not think I would shoot if it were my life. I am thankful that my kids are old enough to do just fine if I were to die. But to be able to protect them and not. I just have to much flesh I guess cause I would shoot and pray God would have mercy on my soul.

Fortunately we dont all travel together much anymore, so short of someone coming into our home in the middle of the night, there is not lot of potential for a situation.

I am really thankful to have been able to raise them here. I cant imagine if we had stayed in the city.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:

But the thought of not being able to protect our children is something that makes us uncomfortable.

That's the way I feel. I worry that this attitude is rebellious against Jesus--in that it seems to not put your faith or trust in Him. But I guess my carnal side is too much like John Wayne--that I feel compelled to take one with me if I have to. It's a contradiction within myself, I think.

Personally, it's a hard call--I will pray that I don't get confronted with this situation.

Kinda like if I lived in the mid 1700's. I know God establishes governments, so would it be right for me to partake in the rebellion (against England) of the government for another? So is it right to participate in the overthrowing of government? I'm so conservative, I'd probably would have been a lobster backed, red coated, Tory! hahaha By the way, I'm not too keen of taxation WITH representation at this point either!!

Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever this type of topic is brought up on our local Christian talk show, the host always defends the right to defend yourself, and cites this passage (Jesus speaking to the disciples):

Luke 22:36

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

-------------

I'm not exactly sure where I stand on it at this time.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know this is a hard subject. I read Joyce's testimony and it was so wonderful! We have a friend who as a teen lost his mom in a conveinience store robbery and it was so tragic for our friend. In my ramble rousing days I starred down the barrel of a gun in my face at point blank range and it was a horrifying experience, but God kept me.

Today, we both carry concealed weapons permits and we dont carry guns with us at home, but if we travel to a big city with our children and there is reciprocity in that state, we take our guns. We dont usually take them if it is just us. But the thought of not being able to protect our children is something that makes us uncomfortable.

At home we have rifles,a shot gun and our hand guns and when Hal is away, I would not want to sleep without one by my bed. There is not much crime here, we live in very rural area, but you never know who is wandering in the country.

I am cant see my shooting someone to protect myself from being killed. I am ready to go when it is my time to go. I could probably shoot someone for trying to rape me. But I have no doubt that I could shoot someone to protect my girls or my husband. We have taught all our girls to shoot.

But as Drew, I believe said, even the presence of gun is in some instances enough to make an attcker head fot the hills.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with "yeshuaslavejeff"

sign that we at the "last Days"

Luke 18:7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

But now the So Called Believers teaches , get a gun defend yourself, go to war with your enemies. You have rights. Especially in America?

The early Believer, the scriptures tell us believed that vengeance belonged to Yahweh. They did not defend themselves against the evil that came against them, they were slaughtered all the day long.

All That Will Live Godly in Christ Jesus Shall Suffer Persecution

Psalms 44:22 Yea, for thy sake are we killed all the day long; we are counted as sheep for the slaughter.

Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
17 But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;
18 And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.

Matthew 10:21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.
24 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.
25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?

Matthew 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

Mark 13:9 But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them.

Mark 13:12 Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death.
13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Luke 21:12 But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.

Luke 21:16 And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
17 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.

John 16:1 These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended.
2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.
3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.
4 But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Acts 14:19 And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.
20 Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.
21 And when they had preached the gospel to that city, and had taught many, they returned again to Lystra, and to Iconium, and Antioch,
22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Romans 8:35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

Galatians 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

1 Thessalonians 3:1 Wherefore when we could no longer forbear, we thought it good to be left at Athens alone;
2 And sent Timotheus, our brother, and minister of God, and our fellowlabourer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you, and to comfort you concerning your faith:
3 That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto.
4 For verily, when we were with you, we told you before that we should suffer tribulation; even as it came to pass, and ye know.

2 Timothy 3:10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me.
12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

1 Peter 4:12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

1 John 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you live in KY, you can get a concealed weapons permit.

I usually pack when my family is with me. But I've had death threats as well--it's no fun, especially if you have a family. All I can suggest is ask for the protection of God and pray you don't have to use a weapon in your defense. But I would definitely carry as it's your constitutional right. You may be precluded from carrying on your employer's property, but the KY law permits you to keep a weapon in your personal vehicle regardless if it's parked on your employer's property.

Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yeshuaslavejeff
Advanced Member
Member # 4506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yeshuaslavejeff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoever lives by the sword dies by the sword.

you won't find anywhere, anything, any word in
G_d's Plan that okays or justifies selfdefense
other than flight when allowed by Adonai.
Trusting Him is always the Plan, and His Blessing
goes with it, even with the loss of all earthly
including specifically one's life.(they valued
not even their life unto death, NT)
go to G_d's Word always, for everything - He
Alone is Faithful, Just and True. YEAH! Amen.

so, trust G_d's Plan, or man's? [obviously, most
choose to trust man, ...the path is wide...]
some more
from Hebrews 9.10.11, the message, eugene peterson:

There were those who, under torture, refused to give in and go free, preferring something better: resurrection. 36Others braved abuse and whips, and, yes, chains and dungeons. 37We have stories of those who were stoned, sawed in two, murdered in cold blood; stories of vagrants wandering the earth in animal skins, homeless, friendless, powerless-- 38the world didn't deserve them!-making their way as best they could on the cruel edges of the world.

32Remember those early days after you first saw the light? Those were the hard times! 33Kicked around in public, targets of every kind of abuse--some days it was you, other days your friends. 34If some friends went to prison, you stuck by them. If some enemies broke in and seized your goods, you let them go with a smile, knowing they couldn't touch your real treasure. Nothing they did bothered you, nothing set you back.

There were those who, under torture, refused to give in and go free, preferring something better: resurrection. 36Others braved abuse and whips, and, yes, chains and dungeons. 37We have stories of those who were stoned, sawed in two, murdered in cold blood; stories of vagrants wandering the earth in animal skins, homeless, friendless, powerless-- 38the world didn't deserve them!-making their way as best they could on the cruel edges of the world.

25He chose a hard life with God's people rather than an opportunistic soft life of sin with the oppressors. 26He valued suffering in the Messiah's camp far greater than Egyptian wealth because he was looking ahead, anticipating the payoff.

13Each one of these people of faith died not yet having in hand what was promised, but still believing. How did they do it?

They saw it way off in the distance, waved their greeting, and accepted the fact that they were transients in this world.

14People who live this way make it plain that they are looking for their true home. 15If they were homesick for the old country, they could have gone back any time they wanted. 16But they were after a far better country than that--heaven country. You can see why God is so proud of them, and has a City waiting for them.

--------------------
1Peter4:1,2 Yeshua suffered physical suffering:disciples have same mind/ willingness to share shame/physical suffering with Yeshua/His people.
Biblio:"willtherealhereticsplease standup?"byBercot(churchTruth)

Posts: 75 | From: tulsa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Dguss,

I think it is okay to have guns to protect ouselves also. Once we lived in a terrible area of the city. Some thugs that always roamed the streets after dark started scaring my children and I while my husband was at work. I thought they were going to break inside. The window was by the door so I switched on the light and yelled I have a gun and know how to use it so leave us alone. They saw my gun and took off never to return to scare us.

But sometimes when no weapon is available and God instructs us to use the word it works great.
I praise HIM for always having the right answers to problems.

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguss
Advanced Member
Member # 5314

Icon 15 posted      Profile for dguss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a tough topic.

I personally believe in our second ammendment rights to bear arms. Our founding fathers put it in there for a reason. The PC/Liberal agenda folks are doing their very best to strip our rights away.

Too put this bluntly, if someone is attacking me or my family, and I have a hog-leg available, then the attacker is definitely going to come out on the short end of the stick!

In fact, living in crime ridden California, it just makes sense to have something available for personal protection. Whether it be Pepper Spray, a hog-leg of any size, or a stun gun, I'm for any of them.

My wife, of which is NOT a gun fanatic, wants to take shooting lessons. Neither of us are gun fanatics, and the only thing we have at this time is my dad's old .22 single shot rifle. We're seriously considering purchasing another hog-leg for our home.

--------------------
Deut 31:6 "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you."

Posts: 33 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that it was my faithfullness Mountie. He is the faithfull one. Never to give up on us. I still don't fully understand HIS LOVE. Sounds stupid maybe.....but it is so different than ours. Why He never gives up on us is a mystery.

God is with us always talking to us as our friend and Father. He is so real, His presence so vivid. I give all the glory to Him. I am just glad he plucked me out of the whatever to include in the family He is gathering. Nothing, I have ever done was good enough to repay the gift of salvation and love He has freely given me. Oh to see HIM face to face !

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mountie
Member # 4918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mountie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it sounds a bit "pithy" - but I pray before I leave home each day that the LORD will protect me and keep me safe from "accident or incident". I love to read these posts and hear how you all rely on your Lord everyday. Being a male, I haven't been in this situation (yet ?) but if I was a woman I would probably carry the spray or a high Db whistle. But keep praying. I love the faithfulness of PM and I would believe that her Lord protected her that time. I think it is a good idea to get some self defence training (for women)however basic it might be. But keep praying. I will pray (generally) for all females when I pray for myself. God Bless you and keep you.
PS. I know this is late - I'm a slow reader.

Posts: 4 | From: Fairlight | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a former law enforcement officer I can tell you the best things to do are don't park your car in the dark and don't walk to you car by yourself.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 7 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a story PM. I don't remember the exact details, but I heard a story once where someone yelled out "Get out of here in the name of Jesus", and the perpetrator spun on their heels and ran away in terror.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 1969 I never expected to be taken hostage after a robbery at the pharmacy. I worked after school during my senior year of high school. He had a gun to my head, the money from the registers, and me. The mask covered his face.

He pulled me down alleys in St. Louis, Missouri in the 6 inches of snow. It was freezing cold. The Holy Spirit was with me and on my left side.

He keep reminding me of the bible story of the disciple walking on the water towards Jesus. When the disciple took his eyes off Jesus and lost his faith he sank. He (God) promised me it would be alright.

The gunman had alcohol on his breath. He was nervas and drunk. At one point he tried to rape me but I talked my way out of it.

After a couple of hours I couldn't go on anymore or fight him anymore. His hands were holding me in an embrace closly....and I said "Into thy hands oh LOrd Jesus and Father God I give my spirit and soul."

Later, coming to, I guess I passed out; I saw he was about 20 feet away from me. He looked like he saw a legion of angels behind me. He looked scared to death. He kept yelling, "Get out of here, go back to the store." I walked backwars looking at him until I saw him no more.

Somehow, the police found me walking in the snow in an alley. They took me back to the store. God was with me the entire time. I knew whatever happened that I'd be wtih HIM.

This experience has helped me my whole life. I thank God it happened and continue to always pray for that young man.

--------------------

Joyce

Susan
Advanced Member
Member # 131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything can be a weapon, including your own body. If the perpetrator gets close enough to touch you, you have tons of body movements to protect yourself. You should maybe check into self defense class.
One thing for sure, if someone gets you in the car against your will, crash the car immediately!
Also, if you can't crash the car, jump over the front seat to the back seat. Get out if you can. If not choke the heck out of him/her with your purse strap long enough to make a break for it.

If someone tries to pick you up, go completely dead weight. They won't get far. ALWAYS in ALL situationss of close contact, go for the eyes. Don't worry about hurting them too much. Don't be concerned with their welfare at all.

If they have a gun RUN! Its very difficult to hit you on the first shot or even the second. If you are running and they are running they probably will not hit you at all and for sure not a vital organ.

But listen... why would you walk out there alone knowing there may be danger? The first play in safety is to NOT put yourself in that postition in the first place. AND no job pays enough to make you go through such unsafe circumstances.

PRAY continually.

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
murray savage
Member # 409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for murray savage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I had a dream a few months back that still lingers with me. I dreamed I was held at gunpoint and was told to denounce Jesus and my attacker wouldn't shoot me. Well I just wouldn't do that. Just as my attacker was about to pull the triggerI looked at him smiled and said thankyou. I woke up than with a feeling of peace in my heart and pondered this dream. what do you think.
Posts: 4 | From: missoula, montana | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Drew,
Thank you for the info.
I would have never known, what was best.

I have been very blessed and never had to defend myself from any life threating thing (person)

I do believe I will get some of the pepper spray.

Skip the gun for me, I will just call Jesus, as I don't think I could ever pull the trigger. [Roll Eyes] and He always protects me... [Big Grin]

Hi Jess, and Chris! [Kiss]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie Nicole
Community Member
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessie Nicole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that I was shown was to hold my keys between my fingers (with the keys sticking out) It's not much, but the thought of carrying a gun scares me. I would be the one to shoot someone who was just playing a joke (one of my friends maybe) Pepper spray, I'd probably wind up spraying myself in the eyes [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Growing in Grace

Posts: 9 | From: GA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a side note: the LAPD used several shots from stun guns on Rodney King, and he kept coming at them. If Departmental policy would have permitted the carry of Pepper Spray, King would have been rendered compliant. The situation arose because of a lawsuit filed after an alergic reaction to Mace,(artifical chemical composition) which caused the LAPD to discontinue the use of all defensive sprays. The officers were forced to use stunguns and PR24 nightsticks, and physical restraints to render a suspect compliant.

Pepper Spray is a natural substance made from hot peppers, which provides extreme physical discomfort, without physically harming the individual and does not run near the risk of a tort scenario.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.galls.com/index.jsp

Under the persomal protection section they offer Pepper Spray. Pepper Spray will stop a grizzly bear. The foam is most effective as it sticks to the face and does not deflect, as well as melting and covering the surface.

Going through the Law Enforcement Certification, we had to take a shot to the eyes, prop one eyelid open with one hand, draw our weapon with the other and subdue the "attacker".

Getting hit with the Pepper Spray had the feel of dipping our eyes in whisky, and the eyes automaticly slammed shut. After the exercise we ran cold water on our eyes for about 15 minutes, and our faces appeared sunburned, and eyes very red the rest of the evening. This was with the over-the-counter Pepper Spray, with 10% Oleoresin Capsicum formula which irritates nerve endings near the skin's surface causing burning pain on contact. Item No. SD090 MK3 Defensive Foam
Galls Price: $16.99

I purchased MK3 for both my Mother and my Aunt.

I do not know what the laws are in your state of Kentucky, but I would look into the purchase of a compact handgun. Taurus makes a small frame .38 hammerless 5-shot revolver, which is very effective and accurate in the 3-7 yard range. A revolver is safer than a semi-auto, as one can pop-open the cylinder and eject all of the rounds, whereas one runs the risk of having a live round in the chamber with a semi-auto, after the clip is removed. The double action only revolver is either loaded or it isn't,(one does not have to work the slide to place a round in the chamber), and after loading one points and pulls the trigger to fire a round.

I purchased one for my daughter, when she was going through her divorce, and her ex was a physical threat. She was able to put every round in a one foot circle at 5 yards, from the first shot. Most crimes of violence will be committed in less than 10 feet, even with a firearm, and the presence of a firearm in the hands of a potential victim has often proven to be a deterrent.

If one purchases a handgun, one should first dry-fire the firearm at least 100 times,(without ammo), so as to gain a feel for the trigger, and gain an automatic grasping of the weapon. One should fire at least 50 rounds through the weapon, under the guidance of a trained instructor, for a developmet of safety and expertisse. The firearm is a tool, and should be cared for and respected, with a quality cleaning after each usage.

Hardball ammunition is fairly inexpensive, and ideal for practice. For defense I would purchase a high quality ammunition, such as Golden Sabre JHP which break wide open upon impact and do the most damage.

I will pray that the threat is over and that you will be safe. However it is wise to be prepared to protect yourself and your family from predators.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Hislove
Advanced Member
Member # 265

Icon 17 posted      Profile for 4Hislove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just last week my life was threatened at work. Things are all settled now, the person who did has been fired and is banned from this building and area.

I ask this question to help me make my decision....Besides the obvious prayer, police, contacting security for the company and such, What would you go and buy to protect yourself in a dark parking lot or while you walk to your car in the dark.

Any kind of attack would be concidered for this question...Choose your way to protect yourself on an everyday bases!

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 7 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at board time.
Voting stopped at board time.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
Your Sister In Christ,
Christine

Posts: 50 | From: Bloomfield, Ky. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement