Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Bible stories in other pre-Judao-Christian religions?

Author Topic: Bible stories in other pre-Judao-Christian religions?
Larry Twidwell
Community Member
Member # 285

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Larry Twidwell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to spend quite a bit of time studying subjects such as this. This time would have been better spent in prayerful study of the Scriptures.

C. H. Spurgeon - God (Independence)

Dear me, the Lord got on very well before I was born, and I'm sure he will when I am dead.

His Servant, Larry

--------------------
Serving Him, Larry
http://www.bloodofthelamb.org

Posts: 19 | From: Klamath River, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to comment also on the Enuma Elish.

If you agree with the dating used, the oldest tablest of the Enuma Elish is dated about 2700 BC. This would put it also after the flood.

The story to me reads like a bad picture of the creation that might have been inspired by the serpent himself.

One thing is for certain, the genesis account, particularly if you study the documents that comprise what is today our book of gensesis is rich with allegory of the will of GOd for mankind, and the savior to come. These things are simply not present in the Enuma Elish.

I think in evaluating the certain treasures of Assur Banipal's magnificant library, we can get a glimpse of the perversion of life, that God speaks of when he tells that man's every imagination was evil.

From the time of the serpant in the garden, man has sought God on Man's terms, and has failed miserably at finding him or pleasing him, and yet both finding him and pleasing him is so simple, he requires of us no more than he required of Adam and Eve. Trust, obedience, loyalty, and all of these is summed up in Love, which we can only accomplish by faith.

For me the struggles of the ancient peoples of mesopatamia are heartbreaking. Pleasing their gods was no simple task. They understood the need for god, for favor, their lack of control over their lives and their environment, but they like so many today sought the solutions through their own power... their own means. This was futile then as it is today. You think that in more than 5,000 years man might have learned something.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris:

Have you read these thing? I think you will find that for example the Epic of Gilgamesh is a perversion of the flood story and not the other way around.

They may be pre Abraham, but they are not pre-God's people. Noah was born only 126 years after Adam died. Noah's grandfather was able to speak with Adam!

Archaeologist G. smith found a tablet at what is believed to be the tower of Babel found just north of the temple of marduk in Nimrod's babylonia and the inscription on the tablet read:

"the building of this illustrious towere offended the gods. In the night they threw down what they had build and scattered them abroad and made their speach strange"

The site is now a quarry 330 feet square, but when it was standing it was like the ziggurats that still stand at Ur, and throughour sumaria.

It is beyond me why people don't understand that the babylonian legends were naturally pervesrsions of the history that is recorded in the Bible. The people that got off the ark poplulated the land.

I have a friend who has a PHD in archaeology and she tells me that there is not a people group out there no matter how remote that does not have a flood story.

But much suppression of the archaeological evidence of the flood and the rest of Bible history has been suppressed over the past 100 years as we have been steadily moved as a society toward a humanistic worldview. Which included the theory of evolution.

The Egyptian god Khen was the egyptian equivilent of the Hebrew word Ham, Egypt was called Mizrraim - the name of Ham's son. Nimrod was a decendant of Ham. Ham was on the Ark, do you not think those people would have kept some portion of their history?

Chris: When I was a college student, I was blessed to have an Archaeology professor that did not see that sciene had to disprove creation or the God of Abraham, but infact believed that it might indeed prove it. I have a friend who is some 15 years younder than I and for her, the opposite was true. She found college full of those who wanted to destroy her faith which they saw as foolishness. I fear that today, as the Word of God has predicted, the situation even is some so called Christian colleges is much worse. Man has been trying to prove he is wiser and greater than God for more than 6ooo years! And it won't be untill we all stand before the throne in the Holy Jerusalem that man's quest will end.

I want to say to you earnestly, the truth in the Bible is spiritually discerend, before you read the Bible I hope you pray for understanding. The Holy Spirit gives understanding and will bring the majest of God's word to life for you. The Bible says the things of God are but foolishness to the carnal mind.

If you are a student, you are going to encounter thoughts, and philosopies that if you allow them to will destroy your faith and ultimately your soul. Don't try to read the word with the understanding of man, because it's treasures are hidden up for the believer and the Holy Spirit will give you understanding of them.

We have a very real and unseen enemy named satan and he has a legion of demons that are at work all around us in the unseen realm. This earth is a battle field of spirit beings and the goal of the evil one is kill steal and destroy. He is the father of lies, and he seeks whom he can devour. How does he devour? through your mind.

Your mind must be grounded solidly on the Rock which is not Peter as some whould say, but Christ, Son of God born in the flesh crucified, died and buried, and RISEN as a propitiation for your sin.

This is a difficult walk today, because most churches do not disciple babes, do not teach about sin, hell, or eternal damnation.

As you walk through the halls of man's knowledge my friend, Put on the WHOLE armor of GOD and never take it off, guard your heart with all dilligence for out of it floows the issues of life, renew your mind continually with the Word of God, so that YOU may prove what is the good and acceptible will of GOD! Seek first the Kingdom of God and His glory, in faith, and all your other needs will be added unto you.

Shalom!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry Twidwell
Community Member
Member # 285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry Twidwell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zech. 7:12 (NASB-U)
"They made their hearts like flint so that they could not hear the law and the words which the Lord of hosts had sent by His Spirit through the former prophets; therefore great wrath came from the Lord of hosts.

Luke 1:1-4 (NASB-U)
Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us, [2] just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the word, [3] it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; [4] so that you may know the exact truth about the things you have been taught.

Serving Him
Larry

--------------------
Serving Him, Larry
http://www.bloodofthelamb.org

Posts: 19 | From: Klamath River, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris

3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God," and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Hislove
Advanced Member
Member # 265

Icon 10 posted      Profile for 4Hislove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Lighthouse] Your question is way over my head...but I tell you what, I am looking forward to seeing what answers that you get.. [spiny]

--------------------
Your Sister In Christ,
Christine

Posts: 50 | From: Bloomfield, Ky. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris
Community Member
Member # 331

Icon 20 posted      Profile for Chris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard from some that the bible apparentally was inspired by earlier Babylonian myths(Enuma Elish, Epic Of Gilgamesh) or Egyptian, Persian and Roman mystery cults(Osiris, Zoroaster, Mithras). There seems to be a lot of books on the subject as well....any thoughts on this?

The main accussers are: Edit for bad links

and

Athiest lies, or what?

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement