Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Disturbed by Dad's Catholic funeral

Author Topic: Disturbed by Dad's Catholic funeral
Gem
Member # 218

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Gem         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a deep ache in my heart. My dad died suddenly on August 15, 2002. God has let me know that my dad is with Him and I’m at peace with that. His wake and funeral were held in the following days. I was raised Catholic and after my conversion in 1999, I left that church. My parents and 7 of the 8 remaining siblings still attend the church so the wake/funeral were carried out with Catholic traditions. The ache I feel is more from what happened at the wake/funeral.

As I grow in my understanding of the Bible, the misguided teachings of the Catholic church are becoming more and more apparent to me...and it’s quite disturbing as I observe my siblings partaking in them and passing them on to their children. I came away from the wake/funeral services even more disturbed.

At the wake, the nun leading the service talked about my dad's "deep devotion to Mary." I was confused...if there was such a deep devotion, how come I didn't even know that? She also mentioned coming to Jesus through Mary. ??? What ??? The rosary and "Hail Mary" prayers were said.

Even more disturbing was the homily given by the priest at Dad's funeral. There were some great bible readings but at one point, the priest quoted the bible verse...then tacked on a lie after it! He was referring to Romans 6:3 and said how we carry Christ's spirit with us...then added - that we should carry my dad's spirit as well. He went on to say we need to "be aware" of Dad trying to "contact us" or "give us signs." I felt as though we were suppose to sit down and have a seance. I was heartbroken that my family, in this time of grief and need, were being told such nonsense.

The priest also mentioned Jesus more as an afterthought: "So look to Mary, look to the spirit of (my Dad) and of course, to Jesus Christ"

The priest also said something to this affect...as my dad reached heaven Mary and Jesus would greet him and Jesus would say , " I know that you knew my mother…" and so Jesus would accept him. It is as though Mary is Jesus’ equal!

I felt that it was all so dishonoring to God and ache at the misguidance my family adheres to. I pray that I can be a light to them, but I feel pretty small and powerless right now. My family tends to see me as the lost sheep for now. I know I need to trust God in this whole matter…but I can’t help but feel a deep sadness and some anger, too, at what was being preached.

As a former Catholic, I know that Catholics rely on the priests to teach them God’s ways…and the Bible is not really recommended reading by the church. So saying to them, "that’s not in the Bible…" doesn’t have a whole lot of affect on them or even using the Bible as the ultimate guide in what is truth may not be acceptable to them. This is definitely a job for our God who can do anything!

Just needed to vent some…

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement