Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » HOW TO

Author Topic: HOW TO
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray:

I agree with Kindgo, whether or not you go to church has nothing to do with going to Heaven or Hell.

Church is important, because we need to be with other believers to strengthen, support, love each other, reprove, rebuke, and exhort one another. It should be a place where we can go to learn and then go out and serve. But your attendance there will not get you into heaven!

I used to have difficulty reading the Bible too, but it is one of those things that you have to do and the more you do the more you can do.

God helps us to understand the Bible in our spirit. But we have to read for him to guide and enlighten.

One thing that helped me was getting an online bible, because you can search words and study topics. I began this way and it has lead me to be able to read books now. I also find it helpful to learn the history of the Bible as this puts things into perspective, and the Word becomes amazing intrigueing (sp sorry) fascinating, when you begin to understand the scope in which each book is set, but topical study for me was the beginning. Just pick any topic that interests you.

You can download a free online Bible at

http://www.OnlineBible.net

Also, stick around here there is a lot of Bible study going on here and this board has the most balanced level headed true Bible believing groups of brothers and sisters I have ever met online.

Ray, there is also a wonderful Bible study called experiencing God, that you may consider. It will help you to recognize God's working in your everyday life. For example, you quest that led you here with your original questions is a beautiful of example of an encounter you had with God! The thoughts that made you seek and ask for help were the Holy Spirit my friend!

The Bible tells us that it is He that persues us not we Him. He calls us. He initiates. And without the Holy Spirit working, we would have no interest in the things of God!

I pray for you this day, a day filled with the Wonder and Glory of our Lord!

PS.. Advice on dealing with discouragement at church? Get a new church. We are called to support and encourage not discourage one another. This is not to say our brothers and sisters sould not rebuke and reprove us of sin, and error, but I would not consider that to be discouragement.

Taking the first step? I would say you have begun to walk my brother. God will direct your path, but you have to be moving first and I would say you have begun to move!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ray,

Welcome to the board, it is nice to have you here [thumbsup]

First thing if you are going to a church that says "I am doomed to a life in hell because I do not show up in church every Sunday."

You know that is NOT true, find a different church!

Also remember it doesn't matter how you feel, this is all that matters "I know that Jesus is my saviour and that without Him I cannot do anything"

Satan will tell you, you are not saved, he will tell you, you will never be good enough. He is a lier and accuser don't believe him!

Ray, you have already taken the first step! [Big Clap] "I know that Jesus is my saviour and that without Him I cannot do anything"

Look up my brother, Jesus is coming again soon [Big Clap] [Big Grin] [Big Clap]

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ray
Advanced Member
Member # 264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure. My time spent reading the bible is small due to the fact that I cannot really understand it. Gospels I can read! My problems arise with more doubts when others in church say I am doomed to a life in hell because I do not show up in church every Sunday. This to me is a christian turnoff and it really gives me a heartache to hear and see. I know that Jesus is my saviour and that without Him I cannot do anything, but, I still cannot shake the feeling that I am missing out on something "big". More insight on taking the first step to walking with God would be awesome and advice on dealing with words of discouragement from church would be appreciated. Thank you for your caring time!!! Ray
Posts: 22 | From: minnesota | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ray:

Welcome to the board. You said something that toched a chord with me...

Quote: feeling totally inadequate in following and learning

I assume that you have been a Christian for some time? When were you born again? Sometimes a more appropriate question is when did you die? When did you die to self and begin to live through Christ?

About 4 years ago, God rocked my world in a big way and work me up to the fact that I believed in Him,, but did not know him and had not made him Lord of my life. I think your quote above summed up well how I was at the time. I had been saved since childhood, but I was not the Bride christ is comming back for, I was not sanctified and set aside to Him, nor was my life.

I think God is waking up those of us who have been neither hot nor cold. Is that what he is doing with you?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
art
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray
You are in the right place , please hang around.
There are some very spiritual believers in here who would love to share what they have experienced in the christian life with you.
A person may come to Christ any time in their life however sometime we have to go thru a lot of heartache before we turn our eyes to the Lord.
The way things are is that we all are lost guilty hell deserving sinners without hope in this world .However God saw our condition and because He loves us so, sent His only begotten son (Jesus Christ)to die on the cross of Calvary and pay the penalty of your sin .Now having shed his blood and raised again the third day , He offers everlasting life and forgiveness of all our sin if we would but trust what Jesus did for us on the cross.
Its as simple as that.
Read Rom 3:23, 6:23 , 10:9 John 3:16
Keep in touch Ray.

NOW is the time to come.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ray
Advanced Member
Member # 264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am unsure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes; at what point in life does a person come to Jesus Christ? Is there a time when it just happens or do you feel it coming? I am having many issues with things such as the feelings I get around people from our church, work issues, family lacking, etc. It all seems to be coming at once and now the questions and doubting of my salvation and my feeling totally inadequate in following and learning. Where is a good place to find a face to face mentor to talk to, etc? I am confused and want advice. Thank you for caring!!!!! Ray
Posts: 22 | From: minnesota | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement